stitches

[Garafolo] Howard Mudd back from retirement to be Frank Reich's assistant

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

 

Can we upgrade? sure, but we have other needs to address.

 

I agree with that....but that doesn't mean we have to ignore RT this offseason.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J@son said:

 

I agree with that....but that doesn't mean we have to ignore RT this offseason.  

 

I would rather the oline continue to grow together. Everyone is in their 20s outside of AC and cohesion is big when it comes to building a oline 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superman said:

 

How'd he do against the Chiefs?

I think you just said you can't evaluate a player based on one game. Isn't that what you are doing with Smith with this comment?

For a rookie Smith held his weight pretty much all year. After watching that Chiefs game Smith didn't have a great game but neither did the team as a whole.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CR91 said:

 

I would rather the oline continue to grow together. Everyone is in their 20s outside of AC and cohesion is big when it comes to building a oline 

 

Well I hope Mudd and the other new OL coaches do a thorough examination of the current OL players (starters and reserves) and make upgrades wherever they deem necessary.  Even if that means at RT.  Cohesion is very important, but having the right players at each spot is just as important, if not moreso.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you just said you can't evaluate a player based on one game. Isn't that what you are doing with Smith with this comment?

For a rookie Smith held his weight pretty much all year. After watching that Chiefs game smith didn't have a great game but neither did the team as a whole.

 

I don't think that's what Superman was doing at all.  Superman brought up the chiefs game to show that one game can be an outlier either way (to the positive or negative).  That's why it's important to look at the player's entire body of work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J@son said:

 

Well I hope Mudd and the other new OL coaches do a thorough examination of the current OL players (starters and reserves) and make upgrades wherever they deem necessary.  Even if that means at RT.  Cohesion is very important, but having the right players at each spot is just as important, if not moreso.

 

There is nothing to suggest Smith isn't the right player at RT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CR91 said:

 

There is nothing to suggest Smith isn't the right player at RT. 

 

Well, if it's alright with you, I'll wait to see what Mudd and the other new coaches think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J@son said:

 

Well, if it's alright with you, I'll wait to see what Mudd and the other new coaches think.  

 

So be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you just said you can't evaluate a player based on one game. Isn't that what you are doing with Smith with this comment?

For a rookie Smith held his weight pretty much all year. After watching that Chiefs game Smith didn't have a great game but neither did the team as a whole.

 

No, it's not. I'm pointing out the fallacy of evaluating a player based on one matchup.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J@son said:

 

I don't think that's what Superman was doing at all.  Superman brought up the chiefs game to show that one game can be an outlier either way (to the positive or negative).  That's why it's important to look at the player's entire body of work.

With all due respect that is not the way I read it.

This devaluing of Smith is not called for. I am sure he may be better at his natural position but if all we can do is complain about what Smith did and didn't do after what we have witnessed in our line play over the last five years I say we are in damn good shape.

If we can upgrade every position that would be great but maybe give some appreciation to those who played as well as Smith did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

There is nothing to suggest Smith isn't the right player at RT. 

 

There's plenty to suggest that further evaluation is needed, and even more to suggest that there are better players available at RT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

There's plenty to suggest that further evaluation is needed, and even more to suggest that there are better players available at RT.

 

If you're suggesting we draft a T with one of our top three picks, we've already had this discussion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If we can upgrade every position that would be great but maybe give some appreciation to those who played as well as Smith did.

 

How about if I simply think he's a little overrated by a fan base that's been thirsty for adequate OL play for 9 years?

 

I'm not saying Smith is bad. I do think we could do better at RT, but that doesn't mean he can't have a legitimate shot at the job, or that he can't come back better in 2019.

 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

 

If you're suggesting we draft a T with one of our top three picks, we've already had this discussion. 

 

Good heavens...

 

Every discussion about player evaluation and roster needs doesn't directly translate to draft strategy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

How about if I simply think he's a little overrated by a fan base that's been thirsty for adequate OL play for 9 years?

 

I'm not saying Smith is bad. I do think we could do better at RT, but that doesn't mean he can't have a legitimate shot at the job, or that he can't come back better in 2019.

 

 

Good heavens...

 

Every discussion about player evaluation and roster needs doesn't directly translate to draft strategy.

 

Do you have a T in FA in mind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

With all due respect that is not the way I read it.

This devaluing of Smith is not called for. I am sure he may be better at his natural position but if all we can do is complain about what Smith did and didn't do after what we have witnessed in our line play over the last five years I say we are in damn good shape.

If we can upgrade every position that would be great but maybe give some appreciation to those who played as well as Smith did.

 

Then I think you misread it, or didn't get the full context.  Superman's follow up post should also help clarify:

 

"

The point is that you don't evaluate a player based on one matchup. I mean, you can, but your evaluation is going to be unbalanced and your conclusions are likely to be flawed.

 

Smith did okay at RT, he wasn't great. He's young and can get better, and I hope he does."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

Do you have a T in FA in mind?

 

Every discussion about player evaluation and roster needs doesn't directly relate to FA strategy, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Every discussion about player evaluation and roster needs doesn't directly relate to FA strategy, either.

 

Either you expect to upgrade from the draft or through FA. What are you suggesting then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the thing we have to recognize about the O-line:  our O-line has become the identity of this team.  It's who we are, so we nitpick.  As a rookie, Smith, as a Seattle castoff, Glowinski - would we accept their performances at any other position?  Hell yeah, but following the KC playoff game, we got a bit concerned.  This is who we are - we're supposed to dominate every play.  

 

Not realistic.  Did they have a few bad plays?  Sure.  Should those plays have effectively ended the game?   If you have a reasonably balanced team, including a few more weapons on offense, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, C0LT5 said:

Wow, this could be one of the better off season moves made.

And the beat goes on. Keep them coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, dodsworth said:

It looks like Reich wants to add the old stretch play to

his offense.

 

The Rams sure could have used that adjustment in the Super Bowl versus the Pats defense...

 

On 2/8/2019 at 11:34 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

Haha, I just now got the joke.

 

I really like her song "Ironic"...

 

tumblr_mqgpnu855S1qf9tibo1_500.gif

 

And I love Alanis Morissette's stand up comedy...

 

7c4c4e06c8f291c797c176d6a0ef983e--alanis

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

Either you expect to upgrade from the draft or through FA. What are you suggesting then?

 

My point is simple: Just because Braden Smith didn't give up a bunch of sacks against JJ Watt doesn't mean he's the RT of the future. 

 

I'm okay with giving him a legit shot at the spot, but he isn't determining my draft strategy, in any round. 

 

And in free agency, I would probably be looking for veteran competition and depth -- Austin Howard kind of vet, but not the cadaver version -- not a Pro Bowl level starter. 

 

None of this is a shot against Smith. I'm just saying that I think an honest evaluation of him reveals a nice player who did okay at RT, but needs to play better and more consistently before he can be considered a reliable starter for a good OL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great move Chris Ballard continues to surround Luck with players & Coaches that are winners the future is bright for our Colts .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 7:04 PM, CR91 said:

 

Either you expect to upgrade from the draft or through FA. What are you suggesting then?

 

What you're missing is that neither Superman nor I suggested that we expect to upgrade.  We both said the same thing...that Mudd and the new OL coaches should do a full evaluation TO DETERMINE if Smith is the RT of the future or if an upgrade is needed.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, J@son said:

 

What you're missing is that neither Superman nor I suggested that we expect to upgrade.  We both said the same thing...that Mudd and the new OL coaches should do a full evaluation TO DETERMINE if Smith is the RT of the future or if an upgrade is needed.  

That is fair, but I don't expect much to come of it.   There is no way Smith will ride the bench.   With the current line under contract for next season, the most I see is drafting a right tackle and letting them compete in training camp later this year.   I would expect Smith to win the job.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 3:46 PM, Myles said:

That is fair, but I don't expect much to come of it.   There is no way Smith will ride the bench.   With the current line under contract for next season, the most I see is drafting a right tackle and letting them compete in training camp later this year.   I would expect Smith to win the job.   

Pass rusher first or a leonard clone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stephen said:

Pass rusher first or a leonard clone

I agree, but a later round tackle wouldn't be surprising.  

I hope we are able to land a couple free agents to free up some draft picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If I was a FA running-back, i would definitely be looking at Indy as a prime destination

We do not need a running back. That is last on the list. The three we have all compliment each other well. Hines had a great year and If Mack had played all 16 games might of made the pro bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We do not need a running back. That is last on the list. The three we have all compliment each other well. Hines had a great year and If Mack had played all 16 games might of made the pro bowl.

 

I'd strongly disagree.     We DO need another running back.     If Mack goes down for any length of time,  the guy taking his place is Wilkins.    I like him,  but I'm not yet convinced he can be our top RB. 

 

Love Hines,  but he's not a lead back.    He's a specialty back, a novelty back.    He's not carrying the ball 15-20 times a game.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We do not need a running back. That is last on the list. The three we have all compliment each other well. Hines had a great year and If Mack had played all 16 games might of made the pro bowl.

2 4th round picks and a 5th round pick ad we are set at RB????

 

None of our RBs are difference making game changers.  When the hole is there, they hit it.  They do not win the 1 on 1 battles for big runs.  I can't remember who we were paying....but one play stands out in my mind from this past season.  Mack took a handoff to the left, and the oline gave him a HUGE hole.  1 man to beat and he was basically on the ground, he stuck his arm out and arm tackled Mack.  It was a gain of like 8 due to the huge hole but with an elite RB it would have been a homerun TD

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kyle said:

2 4th round picks and a 5th round pick ad we are set at RB????

 

None of our RBs are difference making game changers.  When the hole is there, they hit it.  They do not win the 1 on 1 battles for big runs.  I can't remember who we were paying....but one play stands out in my mind from this past season.  Mack took a handoff to the left, and the oline gave him a HUGE hole.  1 man to beat and he was basically on the ground, he stuck his arm out and arm tackled Mack.  It was a gain of like 8 due to the huge hole but with an elite RB it would have been a homerun TD

 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

2 4th round picks and a 5th round pick ad we are set at RB????

 

None of our RBs are difference making game changers.  When the hole is there, they hit it.  They do not win the 1 on 1 battles for big runs.  I can't remember who we were paying....but one play stands out in my mind from this past season.  Mack took a handoff to the left, and the oline gave him a HUGE hole.  1 man to beat and he was basically on the ground, he stuck his arm out and arm tackled Mack.  It was a gain of like 8 due to the huge hole but with an elite RB it would have been a homerun TD

Running backs are overrated in my opinion. You don’t need one that is what you describe to win a SB. You need one that will get you third downs and a big play occasionally. If your running back can average five or six yards a carry with the occasional bigger play you are set. On top of it they have short careers. If you have a solid oline you can make a average back very good. Unless you have a phenom like a EJ was running backs I don’t feel you need a superstar to win.  We are set at RB. I am not going to complain though if we take one in a very late round just to keep the pressure on the guys we have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kyle said:

2 4th round picks and a 5th round pick ad we are set at RB????

 

None of our RBs are difference making game changers.  When the hole is there, they hit it.  They do not win the 1 on 1 battles for big runs.  I can't remember who we were paying....but one play stands out in my mind from this past season.  Mack took a handoff to the left, and the oline gave him a HUGE hole.  1 man to beat and he was basically on the ground, he stuck his arm out and arm tackled Mack.  It was a gain of like 8 due to the huge hole but with an elite RB it would have been a homerun TD

You're right.  None are game changers or are players you have to account for or worry about.  All a RB has to average in this league is 62.5 yards a game in a 16 game season to get a 1000 yards like that is so special.   Mack is average if he can stay healthy.  I'd like to get a back who can beat a defender one on one and get the big gain routinely and maybe go the distance.  Being a great pass catcher would be an added bonus too.  A true No.1 running back is not easy to find.  You pretty much have to draft them early or trade for one or hope one becomes available in FA.  Who knows.  Maybe Ballard will get lucky this year and someone will fall into his lap. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NE just won a SB with Sony Michelle. He averaged a little less then Mack this season. If your RB can get 4 to 5 yards a run it will cause defense to adjust and open up the passing game. Would it be nice to have a phenom. Yes.  But they are rare and are not necessary to win a SB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

NE just won a SB with Sony Michelle. He averaged a little less then Mack this season. If your RB can get 4 to 5 yards a run it will cause defense to adjust and open up the passing game. Would it be nice to have a phenom. Yes.  But they are rare and are not necessary to win a SB.

NE just won a SB with Sony Michelle after picking him in the 1ST ROUND. they are necessary to win a SB.

 

fixed it

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

NE just won a SB with Sony Michelle after picking him in the 1ST ROUND. they are necessary to win a SB.

 

fixed it

How about that.  His highness Bellicheck drafted a RB in the 1st. Round.  I guess he doesn't subscribe to the never take a RB early philosophy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • If DeAndre Baker falls past Denver, I wouldn't mind trading pick #26 and Brissett to the Dolphins in order to acquire him. That would be a deal both teams might agree to if the Dolphins are indeed interested.
    • He's my favorite FA or even early round pickup at WR this offseason 
    • I laughed when seeing "QB" listed as a team need on OnTheClock 2019.  That being said, I have to wonder if it's worth taking a flyer on a QB like Kyle Shurmur and either deal him or Brissett going forward.
    • Having faith without knowing why is "blind faith". At least when I supported certain picks that Grigson chose (like Dorsett), it was because I thought they were good and I was wrong. It wasn't because Grigson was our GM and I felt an obligation that I had to "follow" his every move. He did have 3 straight winning years and advanced further each time, but it became apparent by the end of 2014 that his drafting and FA signings were poor (besides the early part of the 2012 draft), and Luck was carrying the team. Luck got hurt afterward, but it's not like Grigson's drafting or FA signings got better. We were a team carried by Luck and the previous regimes players from 2012-2016. I didn't notice it completely until after the Pats AFC Championship game where we were completely outmatched, but I did notice poor patterns before that (especially missing on 1st round picks).   I'm just saying that the people who say that Ballard knows more than other "armchair GM's" would also say the same about Grigson, so they were merely guessing and were right on Ballard just like they were wrong about Grigson with "blind faith". I don't know, that line just bugs me a lot. Most people who say that also don't predict ahead of time who is good and who isn't, they are extremists in an either positive or negative way, and both are poor viewpoints IMO. Ok, rant over! 
    • I'd give up a second round pick for him.
  • Members

    • DarkSuperman

      DarkSuperman 3,463

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • esmort

      esmort 1,496

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • RollerColt

      RollerColt 1,484

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CoachLite

      CoachLite 319

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • rock8591

      rock8591 885

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BluHorzhu

      BluHorzhu 12

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 6,951

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jared Cisneros

      Jared Cisneros 3,654

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ty4atd

      ty4atd 90

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Clem-Dog

      Clem-Dog 332

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active: