Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Garafolo] Howard Mudd back from retirement to be Frank Reich's assistant

stitches

Just now, J@son said:

I agree with that....but that doesn't mean we have to ignore RT this offseason.  

I would rather the oline continue to grow together. Everyone is in their 20s outside of AC and cohesion is big when it comes to building a oline 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

How'd he do against the Chiefs?

I think you just said you can't evaluate a player based on one game. Isn't that what you are doing with Smith with this comment?

For a rookie Smith held his weight pretty much all year. After watching that Chiefs game Smith didn't have a great game but neither did the team as a whole.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I would rather the oline continue to grow together. Everyone is in their 20s outside of AC and cohesion is big when it comes to building a oline 

Well I hope Mudd and the other new OL coaches do a thorough examination of the current OL players (starters and reserves) and make upgrades wherever they deem necessary.  Even if that means at RT.  Cohesion is very important, but having the right players at each spot is just as important, if not moreso.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you just said you can't evaluate a player based on one game. Isn't that what you are doing with Smith with this comment?

For a rookie Smith held his weight pretty much all year. After watching that Chiefs game smith didn't have a great game but neither did the team as a whole.

I don't think that's what Superman was doing at all.  Superman brought up the chiefs game to show that one game can be an outlier either way (to the positive or negative).  That's why it's important to look at the player's entire body of work.

1 minute ago, J@son said:

Well I hope Mudd and the other new OL coaches do a thorough examination of the current OL players (starters and reserves) and make upgrades wherever they deem necessary.  Even if that means at RT.  Cohesion is very important, but having the right players at each spot is just as important, if not moreso.

There is nothing to suggest Smith isn't the right player at RT. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

For a rookie Smith held his weight pretty much all year. After watching that Chiefs game Smith didn't have a great game but neither did the team as a whole.

No, it's not. I'm pointing out the fallacy of evaluating a player based on one matchup.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J@son said:

I don't think that's what Superman was doing at all.  Superman brought up the chiefs game to show that one game can be an outlier either way (to the positive or negative).  That's why it's important to look at the player's entire body of work.

With all due respect that is not the way I read it.

This devaluing of Smith is not called for. I am sure he may be better at his natural position but if all we can do is complain about what Smith did and didn't do after what we have witnessed in our line play over the last five years I say we are in damn good shape.

If we can upgrade every position that would be great but maybe give some appreciation to those who played as well as Smith did.

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

There's plenty to suggest that further evaluation is needed, and even more to suggest that there are better players available at RT.

If you're suggesting we draft a T with one of our top three picks, we've already had this discussion. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If we can upgrade every position that would be great but maybe give some appreciation to those who played as well as Smith did.

How about if I simply think he's a little overrated by a fan base that's been thirsty for adequate OL play for 9 years?

I'm not saying Smith is bad. I do think we could do better at RT, but that doesn't mean he can't have a legitimate shot at the job, or that he can't come back better in 2019.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

If you're suggesting we draft a T with one of our top three picks, we've already had this discussion. 

Good heavens...

Every discussion about player evaluation and roster needs doesn't directly translate to draft strategy.

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

How about if I simply think he's a little overrated by a fan base that's been thirsty for adequate OL play for 9 years?

I'm not saying Smith is bad. I do think we could do better at RT, but that doesn't mean he can't have a legitimate shot at the job, or that he can't come back better in 2019.

Good heavens...

Every discussion about player evaluation and roster needs doesn't directly translate to draft strategy.

Do you have a T in FA in mind?

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

With all due respect that is not the way I read it.

This devaluing of Smith is not called for. I am sure he may be better at his natural position but if all we can do is complain about what Smith did and didn't do after what we have witnessed in our line play over the last five years I say we are in damn good shape.

Then I think you misread it, or didn't get the full context.  Superman's follow up post should also help clarify:

"

The point is that you don't evaluate a player based on one matchup. I mean, you can, but your evaluation is going to be unbalanced and your conclusions are likely to be flawed.

Smith did okay at RT, he wasn't great. He's young and can get better, and I hope he does."

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Every discussion about player evaluation and roster needs doesn't directly relate to FA strategy, either.

Either you expect to upgrade from the draft or through FA. What are you suggesting then?

Here's the thing we have to recognize about the O-line:  our O-line has become the identity of this team.  It's who we are, so we nitpick.  As a rookie, Smith, as a Seattle castoff, Glowinski - would we accept their performances at any other position?  Hell yeah, but following the KC playoff game, we got a bit concerned.  This is who we are - we're supposed to dominate every play.  

Not realistic.  Did they have a few bad plays?  Sure.  Should those plays have effectively ended the game?   If you have a reasonably balanced team, including a few more weapons on offense, no.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, dodsworth said:

It looks like Reich wants to add the old stretch play to

his offense.

The Rams sure could have used that adjustment in the Super Bowl versus the Pats defense...

On 2/8/2019 at 11:34 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Haha, I just now got the joke.

I really like her song "Ironic"...

tumblr_mqgpnu855S1qf9tibo1_500.gif

And I love Alanis Morissette's stand up comedy...

7c4c4e06c8f291c797c176d6a0ef983e--alanis

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CR91 said:

Either you expect to upgrade from the draft or through FA. What are you suggesting then?

My point is simple: Just because Braden Smith didn't give up a bunch of sacks against JJ Watt doesn't mean he's the RT of the future. 

I'm okay with giving him a legit shot at the spot, but he isn't determining my draft strategy, in any round. 

And in free agency, I would probably be looking for veteran competition and depth -- Austin Howard kind of vet, but not the cadaver version -- not a Pro Bowl level starter. 

None of this is a shot against Smith. I'm just saying that I think an honest evaluation of him reveals a nice player who did okay at RT, but needs to play better and more consistently before he can be considered a reliable starter for a good OL. 

On 2/8/2019 at 7:04 PM, CR91 said:

What you're missing is that neither Superman nor I suggested that we expect to upgrade.  We both said the same thing...that Mudd and the new OL coaches should do a full evaluation TO DETERMINE if Smith is the RT of the future or if an upgrade is needed.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J@son said:

What you're missing is that neither Superman nor I suggested that we expect to upgrade.  We both said the same thing...that Mudd and the new OL coaches should do a full evaluation TO DETERMINE if Smith is the RT of the future or if an upgrade is needed.  

That is fair, but I don't expect much to come of it.   There is no way Smith will ride the bench.   With the current line under contract for next season, the most I see is drafting a right tackle and letting them compete in training camp later this year.   I would expect Smith to win the job.   

On 2/11/2019 at 3:46 PM, Myles said:

That is fair, but I don't expect much to come of it.   There is no way Smith will ride the bench.   With the current line under contract for next season, the most I see is drafting a right tackle and letting them compete in training camp later this year.   I would expect Smith to win the job.   

Pass rusher first or a leonard clone

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We do not need a running back. That is last on the list. The three we have all compliment each other well. Hines had a great year and If Mack had played all 16 games might of made the pro bowl.

I'd strongly disagree.     We DO need another running back.     If Mack goes down for any length of time,  the guy taking his place is Wilkins.    I like him,  but I'm not yet convinced he can be our top RB. 

Love Hines,  but he's not a lead back.    He's a specialty back, a novelty back.    He's not carrying the ball 15-20 times a game.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We do not need a running back. That is last on the list. The three we have all compliment each other well. Hines had a great year and If Mack had played all 16 games might of made the pro bowl.

2 4th round picks and a 5th round pick ad we are set at RB????

None of our RBs are difference making game changers.  When the hole is there, they hit it.  They do not win the 1 on 1 battles for big runs.  I can't remember who we were paying....but one play stands out in my mind from this past season.  Mack took a handoff to the left, and the oline gave him a HUGE hole.  1 man to beat and he was basically on the ground, he stuck his arm out and arm tackled Mack.  It was a gain of like 8 due to the huge hole but with an elite RB it would have been a homerun TD

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

None of our RBs are difference making game changers.  When the hole is there, they hit it.  They do not win the 1 on 1 battles for big runs.  I can't remember who we were paying....but one play stands out in my mind from this past season.  Mack took a handoff to the left, and the oline gave him a HUGE hole.  1 man to beat and he was basically on the ground, he stuck his arm out and arm tackled Mack.  It was a gain of like 8 due to the huge hole but with an elite RB it would have been a homerun TD

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Running backs are overrated in my opinion. You don’t need one that is what you describe to win a SB. You need one that will get you third downs and a big play occasionally. If your running back can average five or six yards a carry with the occasional bigger play you are set. On top of it they have short careers. If you have a solid oline you can make a average back very good. Unless you have a phenom like a EJ was running backs I don’t feel you need a superstar to win.  We are set at RB. I am not going to complain though if we take one in a very late round just to keep the pressure on the guys we have. 

31 minutes ago, Kyle said:

You're right.  None are game changers or are players you have to account for or worry about.  All a RB has to average in this league is 62.5 yards a game in a 16 game season to get a 1000 yards like that is so special.   Mack is average if he can stay healthy.  I'd like to get a back who can beat a defender one on one and get the big gain routinely and maybe go the distance.  Being a great pass catcher would be an added bonus too.  A true No.1 running back is not easy to find.  You pretty much have to draft them early or trade for one or hope one becomes available in FA.  Who knows.  Maybe Ballard will get lucky this year and someone will fall into his lap. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

NE just won a SB with Sony Michelle. He averaged a little less then Mack this season. If your RB can get 4 to 5 yards a run it will cause defense to adjust and open up the passing game. Would it be nice to have a phenom. Yes.  But they are rare and are not necessary to win a SB.

NE just won a SB with Sony Michelle after picking him in the 1ST ROUND. they are necessary to win a SB.

fixed it

• Thanks 1