Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stitches

[Garafolo] Howard Mudd back from retirement to be Frank Reich's assistant

Here it is official:

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-bring-back-howard-mudd-to-staff-klayton-adams-named-assistant-offensive-li

Colts Bring Back Howard Mudd To Staff; Klayton Adams Named Assistant Offensive Line Coach

nprqlytg8imnsyaxvzz6.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indianapolis Colts have signed Klayton Adams as assistant offensive line coach and Howard Mudd as senior offensive assistant. Additionally, Marcus Brady has been elevated from assistant quarterbacks coach to quarterbacks coach.

Adams has 14 years of coaching experience at the collegiate level. He was hired by Wyoming as offensive line coach earlier this year. Adams has spent time on the coaching staffs at Colorado (2013-18), San Jose State (2011-12), Sacramento State (2009-2010), Western Washington (2007-08) and Boise State (2005-06). As a player, he lettered twice as a center at Boise State from 2003-04 and was a Second Team All-Western Athletic Conference selection his senior season.

Mudd has over 40 years of NFL experience as a coach (1974-2009, 2011-12) and player (1964-71). He re-joins Indianapolis after serving as the team’s offensive line coach for 12 seasons (1998-2009). Mudd was a member of the Colts’ Super Bowl XLI championship team. He previously served as offensive line coach for the Philadelphia Eagles (2011-12), Kansas City Chiefs (1989-92), Cleveland Browns (1983-88), Seattle Seahawks (1978-82, 1993-97), San Francisco 49ers (1977) and San Diego Chargers (1974-1976). Mudd began his coaching career as the offensive line coach at the University of California and served two years on the staff (1972-73). He entered coaching after an eight-year NFL playing career with the Chicago Bears (1969-71) and San Francisco 49ers (1964-69). As a player, Mudd was a three-time Pro Bowl starter (1966-68) and was named First Team All-Pro (1968). Originally selected by the 49ers in the ninth round (113th overall) of the 1964 NFL Draft, he was named to the NFL All-Decade Team of the 1960s and was a member of the 49ers’ All-Golden Era Team (1946-70).

Brady served as Indianapolis’ assistant quarterbacks coach in 2018. Prior to the Colts, he spent 16 years in the Canadian Football League as a coach (2009-2017) and player (2002-08). Brady won three Grey Cups (2009, 2010 and 2017) during his CFL career. He served as the offensive coordinator for the Toronto Argonauts for five seasons (2013-17).

Wow, this could be one of the better off season moves made.

What a pleasant surprise! Other posters mentioned bringing Mudd back, mostly jokingly as far as I could tell, but I never thought he might actually re-join the staff. This is great news!

Promoting Marcus Brady was kind of an obvious move, telegraphed from last season. I wonder if they'll bring in or promote another assistant to the spot he had last year...

remember when Dante Scarnecchia retired and New England's O line went to crap? Then returned a year later and turned them into world beaters. 

This could have a similar effect. 

Reich values what the offensive line brings to an offense so much. Breath of fresh air. No doubt in my mind that Mudd brings a plethora of knowledge and value to this team. Give this line a good offseason to get healthy and build upon their success and strengths... will be a fun unit to watch dominate. 

So now things make more sense regarding our OL coaching. I would assume Mudd will have some input there which could take our OL to new heights. 

THIS is killer news, glad to have Howard back, I used to work with, and hang with some of his family, met Howard several times..... all I can say is this is, as everyone already knows, nothing but a positive move....  Howard is a very good friend of Tom Moore, and I have no doubt he brings some of Moore's philosophies with him as an "Offensive Assisstant".

Just think we have a line and offense great enough to bring a great out of retirement. Man this is an amazing signing!

Frank took my advice and made the move. I’m practically his first Lieutenant now. 

Maybe I can talk him into letting Peyton Manning back on board...:thinking:

What does it mean?  Likely that he'll be involved in some O-line game planning.

Great news!

Funny how Irsay cleaned house in 2012, and brought in outsiders to a successful, and stable franchise, just to turn around bring back people from that old regime. 

Mudd's probably pretty excited to work with them himself.  In Indy, he never had this type of nasty O-line, this type of run blocking O-line.

I love Chris Ballard and Frank Reich! If we nail this Draft and just get 1 or 2 impactful free agents we are going to be hell on wheels in 2019!  

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Mudd's probably pretty excited to work with them himself.  He never had this type of nasty O-line, this type of run blocking O-line.

I’m not sure that’s actually true. Those 02-06 lines had a lot of good pieces on them. 

Just now, John Waylon said:

I’m not sure that’s actually true. Those 02-06 lines had a lot of good pieces on them. 

They never mauled people in the run game.  They passed to set up the run.

Very interesting. I'm just hoping there is no under-minding Chris Strausser 

1 minute ago, #12. said:

They never mauled people in the run game.  They passed to set up the run.

True, but that was also by design, not necessity.

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Very interesting. I'm just hoping there is no under-minding Chris Strausser 

It is sort of an interesting. I am not sure where "senior offensive assistant" ranks in the pecking order. My guess would be that Mudd won't be nearly as hands on.

Just now, shastamasta said:

It is sort of an interesting. I am not sure where "senior offensive assistant" ranks in the pecking order. My guess would be that Mudd won't be nearly as hands on.

Im assuming its a consulting role

Awesome news! Our O-Line should be just as good, if not better next year. If we hit on FA and the draft, we can be SB contenders! Very excited with this hire!

I'm cool with it as long as we get the old Indy lines.   He wasn't as good in Philly but that could be a number of things I suppose.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm cool with it as long as we get the old Indy lines.   He wasn't as good in Philly but that could be a number of things I suppose.

wonder if this was when Peters got hurt 

I'm not too sure.  I would have felt better about this if he was brought back as offensive line coach period.  But since we just hired one....too many chefs in the kitchen and all that.  Trust Reich will work it all out. 

15 minutes ago, waka waka said:

I don't know but that line in Philly when he was there was pretty bad.   I trust him though in the role they hired him for.

18 minutes ago, waka waka said:

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't know but that line in Philly when he was there was pretty bad.   I trust him though in the role they hired him for.

The OL had a ton of injuries in 2012. Herremans, Peters, Kelce, etc.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2012_injuries.htm

2 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

remember when Dante Scarnecchia retired and New England's O line went to crap? Then returned a year later and turned them into world beaters. 

This could have a similar effect. 

Colts OL was crap last year?

21 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Colts OL was crap last year?

nope, but he could give them that kind of improvement...take them to the next level. 

51 minutes ago, cbear said:

I'm not too sure.  I would have felt better about this if he was brought back as offensive line coach period.  But since we just hired one....too many chefs in the kitchen and all that.  Trust Reich will work it all out. 

Don't overlook the fact that Mudd will be77  years old this Sunday.

So I don't worry at all about any kind of "power play" issues. I would be more concerned that his mind is still sharp and he's attune to how the game may have changed a bit in the last 5 years.

I think he will have a position that he will stay in the background BUT if he notice things being done incorrectly (from his point of view ) then he open his mouth....…. What I am seeing here that I love is that this organization is placing a HIGH PRIORITY on protecting Andrew...…...Go Colts !!!!!

14 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Don't overlook the fact that Mudd will be77  years old this Sunday.

So I don't worry at all about any kind of "power play" issues. I would be more concerned that his mind is still sharp and he's attune to how the game may have changed a bit in the last 5 years.

Good offensive line play hasn't changed at all in the last 5 years.

I’m shocked about this honestly. He bounced on us to go to Philly.