Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Garafolo] Howard Mudd back from retirement to be Frank Reich's assistant

stitches

What a pleasant surprise! Other posters mentioned bringing Mudd back, mostly jokingly as far as I could tell, but I never thought he might actually re-join the staff. This is great news!

Promoting Marcus Brady was kind of an obvious move, telegraphed from last season. I wonder if they'll bring in or promote another assistant to the spot he had last year...

• Like 5

Reich values what the offensive line brings to an offense so much. Breath of fresh air. No doubt in my mind that Mudd brings a plethora of knowledge and value to this team. Give this line a good offseason to get healthy and build upon their success and strengths... will be a fun unit to watch dominate. 

THIS is killer news, glad to have Howard back, I used to work with, and hang with some of his family, met Howard several times..... all I can say is this is, as everyone already knows, nothing but a positive move....  Howard is a very good friend of Tom Moore, and I have no doubt he brings some of Moore's philosophies with him as an "Offensive Assisstant".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Very interesting. I'm just hoping there is no under-minding Chris Strausser 

It is sort of an interesting. I am not sure where "senior offensive assistant" ranks in the pecking order. My guess would be that Mudd won't be nearly as hands on.

Just now, shastamasta said:

It is sort of an interesting. I am not sure where "senior offensive assistant" ranks in the pecking order. My guess would be that Mudd won't be nearly as hands on.

Im assuming its a consulting role

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, waka waka said:

wonder if this was when Peters got hurt 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't know but that line in Philly when he was there was pretty bad.   I trust him though in the role they hired him for.

The OL had a ton of injuries in 2012. Herremans, Peters, Kelce, etc.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2012_injuries.htm

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cbear said:

I'm not too sure.  I would have felt better about this if he was brought back as offensive line coach period.  But since we just hired one....too many chefs in the kitchen and all that.  Trust Reich will work it all out. 

Don't overlook the fact that Mudd will be77  years old this Sunday.

So I don't worry at all about any kind of "power play" issues. I would be more concerned that his mind is still sharp and he's attune to how the game may have changed a bit in the last 5 years.

I think he will have a position that he will stay in the background BUT if he notice things being done incorrectly (from his point of view ) then he open his mouth....…. What I am seeing here that I love is that this organization is placing a HIGH PRIORITY on protecting Andrew...…...Go Colts !!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Don't overlook the fact that Mudd will be77  years old this Sunday.

So I don't worry at all about any kind of "power play" issues. I would be more concerned that his mind is still sharp and he's attune to how the game may have changed a bit in the last 5 years.

Good offensive line play hasn't changed at all in the last 5 years.