stitches

[Garafolo] Howard Mudd back from retirement to be Frank Reich's assistant

What a pleasant surprise! Other posters mentioned bringing Mudd back, mostly jokingly as far as I could tell, but I never thought he might actually re-join the staff. This is great news!

Promoting Marcus Brady was kind of an obvious move, telegraphed from last season. I wonder if they'll bring in or promote another assistant to the spot he had last year...

• Like 5

remember when Dante Scarnecchia retired and New England's O line went to crap? Then returned a year later and turned them into world beaters. 

This could have a similar effect. 

• Like 2

Reich values what the offensive line brings to an offense so much. Breath of fresh air. No doubt in my mind that Mudd brings a plethora of knowledge and value to this team. Give this line a good offseason to get healthy and build upon their success and strengths... will be a fun unit to watch dominate. 

So now things make more sense regarding our OL coaching. I would assume Mudd will have some input there which could take our OL to new heights. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

THIS is killer news, glad to have Howard back, I used to work with, and hang with some of his family, met Howard several times..... all I can say is this is, as everyone already knows, nothing but a positive move....  Howard is a very good friend of Tom Moore, and I have no doubt he brings some of Moore's philosophies with him as an "Offensive Assisstant".

• Like 1

Just think we have a line and offense great enough to bring a great out of retirement. Man this is an amazing signing!

• Like 2

What does it mean?  Likely that he'll be involved in some O-line game planning.

Great news!

Funny how Irsay cleaned house in 2012, and brought in outsiders to a successful, and stable franchise, just to turn around bring back people from that old regime. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mudd's probably pretty excited to work with them himself.  In Indy, he never had this type of nasty O-line, this type of run blocking O-line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love Chris Ballard and Frank Reich! If we nail this Draft and just get 1 or 2 impactful free agents we are going to be hell on wheels in 2019!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Mudd's probably pretty excited to work with them himself.  He never had this type of nasty O-line, this type of run blocking O-line.

I’m not sure that’s actually true. Those 02-06 lines had a lot of good pieces on them. 

• Confused 2

Just now, John Waylon said:

I’m not sure that’s actually true. Those 02-06 lines had a lot of good pieces on them. 

They never mauled people in the run game.  They passed to set up the run.

• Like 2

Very interesting. I'm just hoping there is no under-minding Chris Strausser 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, #12. said:

They never mauled people in the run game.  They passed to set up the run.

True, but that was also by design, not necessity.

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Very interesting. I'm just hoping there is no under-minding Chris Strausser 

It is sort of an interesting. I am not sure where "senior offensive assistant" ranks in the pecking order. My guess would be that Mudd won't be nearly as hands on.

Just now, shastamasta said:

It is sort of an interesting. I am not sure where "senior offensive assistant" ranks in the pecking order. My guess would be that Mudd won't be nearly as hands on.

Im assuming its a consulting role

• Like 1

Awesome news! Our O-Line should be just as good, if not better next year. If we hit on FA and the draft, we can be SB contenders! Very excited with this hire!

I'm cool with it as long as we get the old Indy lines.   He wasn't as good in Philly but that could be a number of things I suppose.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm cool with it as long as we get the old Indy lines.   He wasn't as good in Philly but that could be a number of things I suppose.

wonder if this was when Peters got hurt 

• Like 1

I'm not too sure.  I would have felt better about this if he was brought back as offensive line coach period.  But since we just hired one....too many chefs in the kitchen and all that.  Trust Reich will work it all out. 

15 minutes ago, waka waka said:

I don't know but that line in Philly when he was there was pretty bad.   I trust him though in the role they hired him for.

18 minutes ago, waka waka said:

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't know but that line in Philly when he was there was pretty bad.   I trust him though in the role they hired him for.

The OL had a ton of injuries in 2012. Herremans, Peters, Kelce, etc.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/phi/2012_injuries.htm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

remember when Dante Scarnecchia retired and New England's O line went to crap? Then returned a year later and turned them into world beaters. 

This could have a similar effect. 

Colts OL was crap last year?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Colts OL was crap last year?

nope, but he could give them that kind of improvement...take them to the next level. 

51 minutes ago, cbear said:

I'm not too sure.  I would have felt better about this if he was brought back as offensive line coach period.  But since we just hired one....too many chefs in the kitchen and all that.  Trust Reich will work it all out. 

Don't overlook the fact that Mudd will be77  years old this Sunday.

So I don't worry at all about any kind of "power play" issues. I would be more concerned that his mind is still sharp and he's attune to how the game may have changed a bit in the last 5 years.

I think he will have a position that he will stay in the background BUT if he notice things being done incorrectly (from his point of view ) then he open his mouth....…. What I am seeing here that I love is that this organization is placing a HIGH PRIORITY on protecting Andrew...…...Go Colts !!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Don't overlook the fact that Mudd will be77  years old this Sunday.

So I don't worry at all about any kind of "power play" issues. I would be more concerned that his mind is still sharp and he's attune to how the game may have changed a bit in the last 5 years.

Good offensive line play hasn't changed at all in the last 5 years.

I’m shocked about this honestly. He bounced on us to go to Philly.