Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Slauson is retiring

MTC

No big loss, he wouldn't have been in the plans for the future anyways.

He was a solid piece when he was healthy but his injury helped us figure out our OL for the future.  And I think he did help teach Smith and Nelson.  

Was valuable to have here when we brought him in but he wouldn't offer us much as a player.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

No big loss, he wouldn't have been in the plans for the future anyways.

He was a solid piece when he was healthy but his injury helped us figure out our OL for the future.  And I think he did help teach Smith and Nelson.  

Was valuable to have here when we brought him in but he wouldn't offer us much as a player.  

Hes a broken player at this stage of his career! But has a lot of knowledge!

If available when we pick in the draft, should we then draft a guard?

I know we have Quenton Nelson and Mark Glowinski, but after that, we are pretty thin at that position.

So if Cody Ford, Chris Lindstrom or Eric McCoy is there, should we then pick one of those players, over a difference maker to protect Luck even more?

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

If available when we pick in the draft, should we then draft a guard?

I know we have Quenton Nelson and Mark Glowinski, but after that, we are pretty thin at that position.

So if Cody Ford, Chris Lindstrom or Eric McCoy is there, should we then pick one of those players, over a difference maker to protect Luck even more?

I have every confidence that the Colts will draft at least one O-lineman. Just not early. 

• Like 1

I hope we Slauson on the Colts sidelines as an assistant coach in the not-to-distant future.

I'm sure he'll have his choice of offers.    I hope he enjoyed his year here enough to want to stay in Indianapolis.    

Here's to your good health.    Enjoy your retirement!     You sure earned it!!

:colts:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Not knowing if you do know, the injury was fully healed. He said that due to the injury he realized he liked coaching too. Just wanted to say that so in case you thought his injury wasnt fully heal it is.

No I knew. I just think it had a factor in his decision. Neck injuries are nothing to mess with.

7 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Dude's hard as nails. Would love to him be in a role similar to Mathis, but for the O-Line 

As much as that would be nice, I think the problem is that Slauson doesn't have any particular allegiance to the Colts.  He played with 3 other organizations and he only played in Indy for 1 year.  I would hardly expect him to think of himself as a Colt for life.  

I think we got Mathis coaching here because he saw himself as a Colt for life.  He played his entire career here, didn't really want to leave the game or the locker room completely behind and he probably wanted to still help the team.

14 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

As much as that would be nice, I think the problem is that Slauson doesn't have any particular allegiance to the Colts.  He played with 3 other organizations and he only played in Indy for 1 year.  I would hardly expect him to think of himself as a Colt for life.  

I think we got Mathis coaching here because he saw himself as a Colt for life.  He played his entire career here, didn't really want to leave the game or the locker room completely behind and he probably wanted to still help the team.

I think you're right.

I also think he can see the potential this team has, and he stuck around and gave advice to the guys after he could've just collected his check and bounced. He would be smart (if a position was even offered) to stick around and coach these guys up. I don't know for sure, but I think they listened to him quite a bit. 

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think you're right.

I also think he can see the potential this team has, and he stuck around and gave advice to the guys after he could've just collected his check and bounced. He would be smart (if a position was even offered) to stick around and coach these guys up. I don't know for sure, but I think they listened to him quite a bit. 

Who Mathis?  

He's actually a paid member of the coaching staff.  "pass rush coordinator" is his position.

The big question is if another team offered Mathis a position that is obviously a promotion like DL coach, would he accept?  

Just saw a teeet Matt was offered a incredible opportunity to be a part of the colts coaching staff. He turned it down because he wants to take some time with his  family. He said will revisit it in the future. I wonder if they offered him the oline coach job.

I think Mathis should keep getting promoted with the colts. He might make a great DC some day.

47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just saw a teeet Matt was offered a incredible opportunity to be a part of the colts coaching staff. He turned it down because he wants to take some time with his  family. He said will revisit it in the future. I wonder if they offered him the oline coach job.

I think Mathis should keep getting promoted with the colts. He might make a great DC some day.

I feel extremely confident Reich didn't offer him the job of Oline coach.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

I feel extremely confident Reich didn't offer him the job of Oline coach.

I strongly suspect you're right.

But that doesn't mean Slauson wasn't offered some type of job to be on Reich's staff.    Even if it was the assistant to the assistant OL coach.     Just something that keeps him in the program.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He said he was  offered a coaching job.

What I just described is a coaching job.

The position coach is a coaching job.      The assistant position coach is a coaching job.    The assistant to the assistant is a coaching job.      It's only a matter of job title.     But they're ALL coaching jobs.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:34 AM, Valpo2004 said:

The big question is if another team offered Mathis a position that is obviously a promotion like DL coach, would he accept?  

i doubt it, DL coach probably wouldnt be enough to get him to move imo

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 11:34 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Who Mathis?  

He's actually a paid member of the coaching staff.  "pass rush coordinator" is his position.

I was referring to Slauson - who the thread is about.

I would hope Mathis wouldn't leave, but you never know

On 2/9/2019 at 3:44 PM, Chloe6124 said:

They would have not offered him the o'line coach job.  It very clearly would have been some entry level coaching role - an apprenticeship of sorts.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 3:44 PM, Chloe6124 said:

They would never offer any one a position coach job to a person with zero coaching experience

• Like 1