SouthernIndianaNDFan

Ballard continues to lay the blueprint

Ballard has stated again that the emphasis will be on the offensive and defensive lines. He said "Those travel, and those play", and man is he right. He also speaks about the fanbases want for another WR or 3 lol, and admits that it is among the teams chief concerns. He also uses Ebron's 14 TDs as a way to play that down. It's worth noting that since 2006, Ballard has been a part of 13 Drafts, and Alshon Jeffery remains the highest, and only, WR taken in the first 2 rounds...and that was in the 40s. Of the 22 selections he has made in the first 2 rounds, Alshon is the only WR selected, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a WR to be taken early. 

Links to the articles:

https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/how-does-chris-ballard-view-colts-wide-receiver-need-2019

https://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/ballard-will-set-clear-goals-for-colts-offseason/article_cbb98f18-28dd-11e9-8e82-3b4fee043e54.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Ballard has stated again that the emphasis will be on the offensive and defensive lines. He said "Those travel, and those play", and man is he right. He also speaks about the fanbases want for another WR or 3 lol, and admits that it is among the teams chief concerns. He also uses Ebron's 14 TDs as a way to play that down. It's worth noting that since 2006, Ballard has been a part of 13 Drafts, and Alshon Jeffery remains the highest, and only, WR taken in the first 2 rounds...and that was in the 40s. Of the 22 selections he has made in the first 2 rounds, Alshon is the only WR selected, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a WR to be taken early. 

Links to the articles:

https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/how-does-chris-ballard-view-colts-wide-receiver-need-2019

https://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/ballard-will-set-clear-goals-for-colts-offseason/article_cbb98f18-28dd-11e9-8e82-3b4fee043e54.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Think so too. 

We need a good WR AND a better D-Line/pass rush. So with a class full of talent for the d-line, it would be a waste to not draft at least 2 of those talents with our first 3 picks imo. 

And like you said, it would surprise me if Ballard drafts a wr before the 3rd round. 

Ballard has shown his approach the last 2 years imo. Dabbles in FA a bit but mostly upcomers and not elite guys. And when you're getting an elite guy you need to make sure he fits the locker room like he has said. I dont understand some being upset by this approach. 

No matter. Consistency is what will show everyone this approach is a good one. If it all falls apart in 3 years well.... back to the drawing board. 

Ballard gets it. A lot of fans want to go back to soft football

and draft a skill player early. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mentioned something similar to this in draft forum. Ballard knows to truly compete for a Super Bowl, we need talent/depth along the lines. Also he’ll invest in the secondary on defense. I’ve been a big advocate on drafting a wr early, but coming around on stacking the lines and adding secondary help. I believe with the scheme coach Reich runs we can find players to fit his system in later rounds. 

This discussion screams for a good FA wide receiver. I hope they grab one. 

Definitely down with Ballards approach.  No problems at all although I am hoping when this is all said and done we are able to have the offensive fire power to be as strong as Kansas City is on O.  That doesn't mean we have to go out and spend a bunch of high draft picks to get it done though.

• Like 1

I’d be surprised if he drafts somewhere other than the DL in the first round. I think that’s where he goes first. Then a WR possibly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

This discussion screams for a good FA wide receiver. I hope they grab one. 

That would be reasonable.  The main point here is a good FA wide receiver.  Doesn't need to be the best/most expensive guy out there.  A solid performer with good hands.

If we go that way and then focus on the D -line early in the draft that sounds very encouraging.

But we will see what Ballard has in mind.  So far he is doing a pretty nice job of building this team from the inside out.  It is important to remember that all of the high scoring teams were shut down this year in the playoffs.  A team has to have the ability to win low scoring games because they will happen.  If you can't win the line of scrimmage - on both sides of the ball - you will struggle to win low scoring games.  Actually you will struggle to win any game.

• Like 2

i dont think you can say we have to take a certain position when you are drafting 26th.  it just doesnt work like that

CB has gone with what he thought was the best player in the first rounds both times.  remember hooker is as far from the los as you can get on the field 

• Like 1

By Ballard saying he wants to put emphasis on the DL that would open the door to spending money in FA on an ER.  He has been saying we need pressure on the QB since he arrived.  Thus the two 2nd. Rd. picks last year.  Now that we are ahead of schedule he should be willing to go after one of the proven ER's who can make a difference immediately.  Sign a FA or acquire one in a tag and trade scenario.  He has all the money he needs to acquire a playmaker on defense and offense.  He needs to acquire both if we hope to seriously compete for a SB IMO.  We should be able to find some good players in the draft but our new found popularity as a FA destination should allow him to finally use that cap space to our advantage.  Here's hoping he does. 

On 2/6/2019 at 4:22 AM, ColtsGermany said:

Think so too. 

We need a good WR AND a better D-Line/pass rush. So with a class full of talent for the d-line, it would be a waste to not draft at least 2 of those talents with our first 3 picks imo. 

And like you said, it would surprise me if Ballard drafts a wr before the 3rd round. 

Deon Cain will be back next season he could be the answer. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 9:30 AM, ColtsBlitz said:

I’d be surprised if he drafts somewhere other than the DL in the first round. I think that’s where he goes first. Then a WR possibly

I honestly believe he’ll take the BPA no matter which position, minus QB.  

That sounds obvious and trite, but except for QB there’s not one position on the team that couldn’t use an upgrade.  

• Like 4

The approach taken by some fans looking for general positional support confuses me. If we assume Ballard and Reich take a BPA approach (generally), each individual player that is available will bring certain strengths and weaknesses to a team, and those must be evaluated and integrated into that team (i.e. "the blueprint"). This is far more complex than most people realize. The fan base will never have all the information that the Colts team management will put together, and that will make all the difference to the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I honestly believe he’ll take the BPA no matter which position, minus QB.  

That sounds obvious and trite, but except for QB there’s not one position on the team that couldn’t use an upgrade.  

I reckon our left guard is pretty good too ;)

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2019 at 3:58 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

It's worth noting that since 2006, Ballard has been a part of 13 Drafts, and Alshon Jeffery remains the highest, and only, WR taken in the first 2 rounds...and that was in the 40s. Of the 22 selections he has made in the first 2 rounds, Alshon is the only WR selected, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a WR to be taken early. 

I know this is a big talking point right now in regards to receiver... But Ballard didn't "make" any of those picks before he came here. He might have influenced a great deal, but he wasn't the one pulling the trigger so we can only speculate that he wouldn't have done things a bit differently. He has two real big boy drafts and they have been quite good, with skilled offensive positions coming 4th round and later. Will be interesting to see if that continues to be a pattern like it was in Chicago and KC before.

• Thanks 1

On February 6, 2019 at 9:06 AM, dodsworth said:

Ballard gets it. A lot of fans want to go back to soft football

and draft a skill player early. 

The notion that they could draft a WR early as a move back to "soft" football is absurd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

The notion that they could draft a WR early as a move back to "soft" football is absurd.

Did you follow the Colts under Polian? Drafting skill players early

leads to soft teams, as we have been shown over and over during

his tenure.

Drafting wideouts early is a good way to be a regular season juggernaut 

but fold like a lawn chair in the playoffs.

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

his tenure.

Yeah.  Went to 1st Colts game in Indy.  Season ticket holder since 1999.  Am well aware of the Colts history.

And there is some huge logic fallacy in your thinking.  

7 hours ago, dodsworth said:

his tenure.

Polian drafted better on offense than defense IMO his offenses were great with 18 but the defense sucked & the leagues worst regular season defense won a Lombardi that won't happen twice . Our offense needs a new 88 to put out there with T.Y but our Defense also needs a stud pass rusher if its a BPA pick one .  

The Peyton Manning era is littered with awesome seasons offensively but defensively NO .

Our defense has always been the problem going back 2 decades been a fan from day one I just want to see a defense that can consistently pressure & dominate a team . This is the year our Colts make the next step & it starts on the defensive side of the ball imo..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Polian drafted better on offense than defense IMO his offenses were great with 18 but the defense sucked & the leagues worst regular season defense won a Lombardi that won't happen twice . Our offense needs a new 88 to put out there with T.Y but our Defense also needs a stud pass rusher if its a BPA pick one .  

The Peyton Manning era is littered with awesome seasons offensively but defensively NO .

Our defense has always been the problem going back 2 decades been a fan from day one I just want to see a defense that can consistently pressure & dominate a team . This is the year our Colts make the next step & it starts on the defensive side of the ball imo..

I don't necessarily agree.  I think our problem in the Manning years was the offence.  Polian drafted heavily on the offensive side of the ball. They put up record setting numbers in the regular season. Then came the play offs and they did not play with the same efficiency.  Not a lot of draft capital went into the D during the Polian years.  I actually thought the D played well in the playoffs during the Manning/Polish era considering the talent  on that side of the ball. 

• Thanks 1

Everyone seems to forget that manning and the offense consistently failed to play well for the most part in the playoffs. I agree I think it was the offense more then the defense in the playoffs with manning. He always had to dig himself out of a hole. Then everyone would say oh look mannng brought them back. Don’t get me wrong manning is as good as everyone says but our offense failed many times in the playoffs.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't necessarily agree.  I think our problem in the Manning years was the offence.  Polian drafted heavily on the offensive side of the ball. They put up record setting numbers in the regular season. Then came the play offs and they did not play with the same efficiency.  Not a lot of draft capital went into the D during the Polian years.  I actually thought the D played well in the playoffs during the Manning/Polish era considering the talent  on that side of the ball. 

I agree 100%. 

Our playoff losses weren't High scoring shootouts. Our O was disappointing in most of our playoff losses. Infact, during our SupetBowl run 2006 our offense didn't play great vs Chiefs and Ravens but we won anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FA wise I hope Ballard makes a run at Ford, Clowney or Suh. I doubt the first two become available and they both have an injury history that’s a cause for concern. Don’t break the bank and over pay  with any of those guys but if we could get one for 3-4yrs at an industry standard rate for their talent level...I’m on board.  If not, keep drafting well and signing under the radar guys.   I like his system and so far he has drafted well the pst 2 drafts.  Championships are won when they draft well 4-7 years in a row. 

During our run in 2006, Manning also, with an effective running game, learned ball control, instead of just trying to score a TD on every play. This helped our defense, stay fresh, and not be on the field constantly.

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

During our run in 2006, Manning also, with an effective running game, learned ball control, instead of just trying to score a TD on every play. This helped our defense, stay fresh, and not be on the field constantly.

We had good lines that year which goes a long way in ball control.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t take it as a clear indication that he is absolutely going to go defense at pick 26. Ballard’s propensity for the trenches is not new information. However, it shouldn’t be forgotten that his first ever draft pick as a GM was a FS. BPA means something to Ballard. If the highest graded player at his pick in the 1st (which is basically an early 2nd at this point) is a WR, LB, CB, etc... he will turn the card in. I don’t think he is as position fixated as some posters on the board are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wouldn’t take it as a clear indication that he is absolutely going to go defense at pick 26. Ballard’s propensity for the trenches is not new information. However, it shouldn’t be forgotten that his first ever draft pick as a GM was a FS. BPA means something to Ballard. If the highest graded player at his pick in the 1st (which is basically an early 2nd at this point) is a WR, LB, CB, etc... he will turn the card in. I don’t think he is as position fixated as some posters on the board are.

Makes sense but if you go back you will see that Grigson had just drafted Clark, Haeg, Good, and Kelly recently.  Ballard thought that Grigs did a pretty good job there so I think that kind of helped him go away from his priority a little bit with the Hooker pick.  Once he found out that only 1 of those 4 guys(OL) was any good then he hit the OL hard in the next draft which was last year.

I think what Ballard does is pretty simple. He prioritizes the lines, but if the available OL/DL talent that is left on the board is inferior to some of the other available talent at other positions then you know hes going with something else.  Inferior/Superior based on the Colts approach to scouting and evaluation of course.  When he first got here we needed damn near everything, but Grigson had already made some considerbale, or at least what looked to be considerable investing in the line so that allowed Ballard to focus on some of the other holes.