Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reading Ballard’s mind 5 round mock

Over the past two years CB has been very upfront with fans/media on how he believes a team should be built. He’s preached about games being won/lost in the trenches. He’s recently piggybacked that theory through other interviews and even went further by saying I know what the fans want. He was implying that us colts fans want a wr, but then went on to basically say that coach Reich scheme helps alleviate some of the need for a 1st/stud wr. So I have no reason to doubt his comments. Imo you can scratch off wr in the 1st and possibly 2nd rounds for us. I think him and frank will sit down and dig deep into this group of wrs and find players that fit their scheme. So this leads me to my first colts mock of the year. I think all of the highly touted edge rushers will be gone.

rd 1 26th- jaylon Ferguson DE La Tech

rd 2 34th- johnathan Abrams SS miss st

rd 2 59th- Julian Love CB Norte Dame

rd 3 90th- Terry McLaurin WR Oh St

rd 4 123rd- Josh Oliver, TE, San Jose State

rd 5 154th- Daniel Wise DT kansas

Rd 6 and 7 oline/Lb depth competition.

2 hours ago, indyman411 said:

I like your 2nd round picks, but not a fan of the rest. I don’t understand why you think CB would draft a TE. 

Walterfootball has the Colts meeting with 5 prospects at the East/West Shrine game.  2 of them where TE's.  

There might be some logic to it.  We use the TE's a lot and both Doyle and Ebron's contracts run out next year.  And I'm not entirely convinced that Ebron would be worth re-signing given that he will likely ask for big money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, coltsnation said:

My god Jaylon Ferguson is overrated

12 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Agreed. He’s a decent rotational piece but that’s about it IMO

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed x2. No athleticism, can’t bend, low level of competition, bad Senior Bowl week, etc... 

10 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

If we draft Jaylon Ferguson with the 1st Rounder I may quit "footballing"

Now, somewhere like the 3rd, where it would be a decent value...yeah. 

I'm not saying that you 4 are wrong, but there are several mocks that have him going in the first round.

I have not seen him play at all, so I really don't have an opinion one way or the other.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I'm not saying that you 4 are wrong, but there are several mocks that have him going in the first round.

I have not seen him play at all, so I really don't have an opinion one way or the other.

It's interesting because while a poster in here said he had a bad senior bowl I saw a mock that specified that he had a great senior bowl and was moving up in the draft because of it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, indyman411 said:

I like your 2nd round picks, but not a fan of the rest. I don’t understand why you think CB would draft a TE. 

Because Ebron has year left on his contract.  Because Doyle is coming off a major injury and that does not take into account his hip.  Because Swoope has proven to be very replaceable and because he drafts players to make the team better.  So if one of those is a TE, he will most certainly do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

And Terry Mclaurin couldn't catch a cold...

Lots of love recently among Colts fans for McLaurin. Must be the Senior Bowl I guess. Seems like a decent prospect...but not one that you would draft as your top WR from a loaded class. At least I hope not.

Check out Walter Football's WR rankings. I respect all the work they do...but their current rankings seem way off. I mean...I hope they are right.

14 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Because Ebron has year left on his contract.  Because Doyle is coming off a major injury and that does not take into account his hip.  Because Swoope has proven to be very replaceable and because he drafts players to make the team better.  So if one of those is a TE, he will most certainly do it.

Imagine if Ballard would have just drafted George Kittle (like some of us wanted) when he had the chance. Colts had picks #137, #143 and #144...and Kittle goes #146. Oh well...that one is going to sting for a while...though Ebron has softened that blow considerably.

I think we will see Ballard take a swing at a TE now that he has two in place and can develop one for a year.

Best Player Available

I can't say for sure, but when good teams build their draft board, I don't believe they rate players according to what they need. Do they go into a draft saying we need pass rush? Yes. Do they go into the draft thinking we need pass rusher or a WR with the first two picks? No. But pressure will be found in this draft among all the picks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

This! Zack Keefer of the star mentioned on the radio that there some concern that Doyle's hip issue may end up needing surgery. TE can't be discounted.

7 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

This! Zack Keefer of the star mentioned on the radio that there some concern that Doyle's hip issue may end up needing surgery. TE can't be discounted.

Even if not...I never really saw Doyle here past that contract. He will turn 30 after next season...and it seems like the position takes a toll...especially for the ones who do much of the blocking (just look at Gronk for example). There aren't a lot of TEs playing at that age. And it's not like Doyle is an athletic TE that can adapt his game as he ages (like Graham, Cook, Olsen, Davis, Walker, etc.).

I don't imagine we will see Ballard use a Day Two pick. But there are a handful of TEs with that grade...so who knows.

If Doyle is a question mark (hip surgery is tricky)...I also wouldn't mind a FA flyer on someone like Maxx Williams or Geoff Swaim.

9 hours ago, FalseStart said:

That mock is exactly how I think things play, almost to a T. I could definitely see Ballard going DL/DL early, and drafting a corner and safety in there, too. Possibly a LB? This is one of the better ones I've seen, and all of the ones with WR early I think are way off...especially the ones with 2 WRs going early lol.

On 2/5/2019 at 10:39 PM, coltsnation said:

My god Jaylon Ferguson is overrated

Not much love on here for ole' Jaylon

The guy had 26 TFL on top of 17.5 sacks

I realize that it was a level down, but the guy did dominate games

The TFL piece is HUGE.

He has a good first step, good hand technique, and he looks strong as an ox.

IMHO, let the guy get some coaching, and add to his bull rush, he could do some damage in the NFL.

The level of competition at the Senior bowl, was at a higher level than the kid had seen before....... His one move,  that worked on tier 2 college players, will have to be refined to be effective in the pro level

A guy that I originally was very high on was Zach Allen....... his first step is VERY slow

I would MUCH rather have Jaylon than Z Allen

Not every top pass rusher will have that pass rush OLB "bend"   

Watch the pass rush from a top FA, Flowers. He has almost no "bend"

He has a good first step, and has strong hands

SOME of the top edge rushers will have speed, and good hand usage.

I BELIEVE that Jaylon is one of those guys.........

He isnt at the level of some of the pass rushers that will go 10-15 spots earlier, but I BELIEVE that Jaylon will be an effective pro pass rusher, with some coaching

My 2 cents......

Deano

On 2/6/2019 at 2:53 PM, shastamasta said:

Imagine if Ballard would have just drafted George Kittle (like some of us wanted) when he had the chance. Colts had picks #137, #143 and #144...and Kittle goes #146. Oh well...that one is going to sting for a while...though Ebron has softened that blow considerably.

I think we will see Ballard take a swing at a TE now that he has two in place and can develop one for a year.

Well if we want to rectify that mistake Iowa has not one but 2 tight ends expected to go on Day 1 or 2.  

TJ Hockenson's draft status seems to be shooting up.  Most mocks are putting him in the first.  

Iowa is Tight End U.