Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Colts WR not named Harrison, Berry, Wayne, or Hilton

CR91

I'd say Austin Collie.  It's unfortunate he sustained multiple head injuries.  I had a co-worker that found out I was a Colt fan, he was originally from Utah a BYU fan.  He told me he and son would go to BYU games just to watch Austin Collie who let the nation in receiving his senior year.

For trivia, that same year we drafted RB Donald Brown, from UCONN who led the nation in rushing.  So that draft year, we draft RB who led the nation in rushing and WR who led the nation in receiving.  You can check but I think this statement is correct. 

Bill Brooks is the easy answer. We traded a kid from MSU after a productive rookie season. Andre Bad Moon Rison would've have been part of this conversation if not for the trade. He went on to have a pretty good career mostly in ATL.

18 hours ago, CR91 said:

well he was part of the Jeff George trade and he did go on to have a respectable career.

it was a little better than respectable.  had to google it but he was a 5 time pro bowler, 4 time all pro, once lead the league in TDs, and won a super bowl

On 2/5/2019 at 12:06 PM, aaron11 said:

rison had a big career but most of it was elsewhere.  as far was what they did here i think its bailey 

He barely had 1000 receiving yards in his career, Brooks got that in his first year.

I believe I was the first to mention Bill Brooks and I see lots of others have named him, too.

He's the only WR in the Colts Ring of Honor not named Harrison or Wayne, so that pretty much rests the case.  In fact, he was the first Colts player on the Ring of Honor after Robert Irsay was the first person to get that honor in 1996.  Brooks' name went up on the Ring in 1998.

With the Colts from 1986 - 1992, Brooks had 411 catches for 5,818 yards and 28 touchdowns.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i guess he was more of a kick returner than a great receiver

To tell you the truth his overall numbers surprised me too. I knew that Brooks had much better numbers but was surprised at how little Bailey did when I looked it up. He never even had 30 catches in a season.

Best during they years played for Colts or best player to wear a colts uniform ? If later Andre Johnson has to be in the discussion, possible HOF candidate , if former most top ones have been mentioned. Ray Butler had a real good sophmore year in 81 with 9 tds never progressed, Sean Dawkins showed flashes, Glenn Doughty was a nice running mate with Roger Carr.

On 2/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, indyagent17 said:

E.G Green :)

but seriously, Stokley.  We were blessed to have Marvin and Reggie on the same team but other than that we haven't had dynamic WR other than the ones mentioned. I wish we could get an Elite receiver to go with Hilton and stop the one year merry go round of bad receivers 

Spot on with EG Green.  He and Jerome Pathon were both very promising as #2's to Marvin, but neither could stay healthy for long.  I thought EG Green had pro-bowl talent when he played, he just never was able to stay on the field long enough.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, ar1888 said:

Flipper Anderson, Sean Dawkins

Sean Dawkins was the first guy that came to my mind.  I loved watching him play in the early-mid 90's.

The other 2 that came to my mind were Terrence Wilkins, probably the last time our WR screen plays were actually a legitimate threat.  He was also a very dynamic returner.  It was fun to see what he could do with the ball in his hands.

And Anthony Gonzalez.  Sure, he was a first-round bust.  But mainly due to injuries.  He had 57 receptions in his second year and I thought he had a lot of potential if he could stay healthy for a full year.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:13 PM, Smoke317 said:

I see what you’re saying but I stand by my assessment.  Sure, Collie maybe could have tried to immediately go down “while” making the catch but the fact that he was still contacted by 2 defenders in a bang-bang fashion “immediately” after making the catch tells me that he didn’t have a lot of time to do much of anything and it was a dangerous throw by Peyton.  

Regardless, that play changed the course of Collie’s career. He was easily concussed thereafter and it was a shame because he was a heckuva receiver.  And those uniforms with the blue helmets were SICK.  Shame that hit will always be a memory of them. 

Ya I don’t think any receiver could have gotten down on that play. He caught it and was hit immediately by 2 safeties. He would have been perfectly fine had the second safety not hit him illegally.