Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dumbest Post SB Issue Raised By The Media Today

King Colt

With free agency and the draft looming some sports talk shows today are posting the odds of who is favored to go to the SB next season. Now we have a team like the Colts with a bucket of cash for FA and a team like the Rams that has a long list of players free to jump ship so how does it make one ounce of sense to predict anything this at this point. What about the Browns? Utterly ridiculous to post the odds as done on Highly Questionable and on other shows today. 

21 hours ago, King Colt said:

With free agency and the draft looming some sports talk shows today are posting the odds of who is favored to go to the SB next season. Now we have a team like the Colts with a bucket of cash for FA and a team like the Rams that has a long list of players free to jump ship so how does it make one ounce of sense to predict anything this at this point. What about the Browns? Utterly ridiculous to post the odds as done on Highly Questionable and on other shows today. 

What’s sad is espn also has the DEFENDING SB champions not at 1 not at 2 not even at 3 but 4!! Tells you how silly and dumb these things are!

On 2/4/2019 at 3:00 PM, King Colt said:

I don't know what all the outrage is about?

All media, all networks have been doing this for, I'd guess,  at least 15-20 years,  maybe longer.

When a team wins it's league championship, whther it's the Super Bowl, the World Series,  the NBA Championship, whatever,  the network covering it usually mentions that Las Vegas already has the odds out for next year's possible champions.

All this has given birth to stories called....    "Way too early rankings".     Everyone does them.   Interest is peaked and people are curious.     Of course no one knows what the teams will do in the off-season.    Don't know about the draft, or free agency.    But everyone is curious anyway.

I'm sorry you're just noticing this now....   but this has been going on for roughly two decades,  maybe longer....

It's really not a big deal.    No on takes them seriously.    They're just for fun.    That's all.    Honestly.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know what all the outrage is about?

All media, all networks have been doing this for, I'd guess,  at least 15-20 years,  maybe longer.

When a team wins it's league championship, whther it's the Super Bowl, the World Series,  the NBA Championship, whatever,  the network covering it usually mentions that Las Vegas already has the odds out for next year's possible champions.

All this has given birth to stories called....    "Way too early rankings".     Everyone does them.   Interest is peaked and people are curious.     Of course no one knows what the teams will do in the off-season.    Don't know about the draft, or free agency.    But everyone is curious anyway.

I'm sorry you're just noticing this now....   but this has been going on for roughly two decades,  maybe longer....

It's really not a big deal.    No on takes them seriously.    They're just for fun.    That's all.    Honestly.

Regardless of your take it is still stupid and nothing more than a filler when the jocks run out of news. 

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

Regardless of your take it is still stupid and nothing more than a filler when the jocks run out of news. 

What else do you want them to do?  There aren't scores or big stories to talk about.  It's just discussion topics for them to fill airtime and try to get some viewers and whatnot in the offseason, when things are generally slower.  They have to fill their TV time up with something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

What else do you want them to do?  There aren't scores or big stories to talk about.  It's just discussion topics for them to fill airtime and try to get some viewers and whatnot in the offseason, when things are generally slower.  They have to fill their TV time up with something.

So they are on the air to fill it with...…….something?

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

If you don't care for my post...  don't read it.   Simple solution.

This happens every year after Super Bowl. Not much else to talk about, so they make these predictions and talk and create discussion about it, and so on.

It's okay if you think it's silly, and dumb, etc...but why go to the trouble of making a thread about it and creating more discussion? :scratch:

Serious question.

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

Yeah, that's how it works.  For example, NFL Network is devoted to the NFL.  When it's the NFL offseason, they still have to talk about football, so they'll talk about who has the best chance to repeat, what to look for in the upcoming offseason, the draft, etc.  They can't discuss NBA or NHL scores, or the upcoming MLB season.  They have to fill the air with something

• Like 1

17 hours ago, King Colt said:

Not everything has to be serious news.

Some stories are lighter than others.    Just like your newspaper has different sections for different topics,  including comics.

These are light, fun stories intended only as discussion points.    Topics to talk about around the water cooler.     

We live in a 24/7/365 society.    That type of time and space needs a lot of material to fill it up.

Again,   it's not to be taken seriously.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:17 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Yeah, that's how it works.  For example, NFL Network is devoted to the NFL.  When it's the NFL offseason, they still have to talk about football, so they'll talk about who has the best chance to repeat, what to look for in the upcoming offseason, the draft, etc.  They can't discuss NBA or NHL scores, or the upcoming MLB season.  They have to fill the air with something

I think I know how it works but that does not justify senseless trash instead of something a little more interesting. There are a million stories in the NFL and predicting who will go to the SB next year the day after a SB is not one of them.  Ratings make & break networks & stations so filling with "something" just does not get them up. Oh well the AAF starts tomorrow night. San Diego vs. San Antonio. How exciting!!!  :(

15 hours ago, King Colt said:

There are a million stories in the NFL and predicting who will go to the SB next year the day after a SB is not one of them.

I disagree.  Which teams will be future SB contenders is ALWAYS a story.  24/7/365.  It's actually the most important story, isn't it?

Winning the SB is the ultimate goal for every team and every fan.  "Next year" is a running theme for pretty much every team but NE.

While NE is saying "we're still here", every other team and fan is ready to turn the page, saying "maybe they won't still be here this time next year" as soon as the final whistle blows.  I was already thinking about SB 54 before they even did the trophy presentation for SB 53.  haha

On 2/5/2019 at 3:55 PM, JimJaime said:

What’s sad is espn also has the DEFENDING SB champions not at 1 not at 2 not even at 3 but 4!! Tells you how silly and dumb these things are!

Usually NE is at 1 for the following season even in the years they don't win or even make the SB. To me, I have them penciled in as the AFC Champs next year and a tossup to win the Super Bowl (which has been my position for the past several years). But I don't think being the defending SB Champ should automatically vault you into the #1 spot for the next season. Would anyone make a case for the 2015 Broncos being the favorite to win the Super Bowl in 2016? Or even the 2012 Ravens?

6 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

Usually NE is at 1 for the following season even in the years they don't win or even make the SB. To me, I have them penciled in as the AFC Champs next year and a tossup to win the Super Bowl (which has been my position for the past several years). But I don't think being the defending SB Champ should automatically vault you into the #1 spot for the next season. Would anyone make a case for the 2015 Broncos being the favorite to win the Super Bowl in 2016? Or even the 2012 Ravens?

My point is simple till the season or even pre season starts .. the champs are #1 till proven otherwise..

23 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

My point is simple till the season or even pre season starts .. the champs are #1 till proven otherwise..

But sometimes it's easy to know when the defending SB champs won't have a good shot at getting back. The Ravens in 2012 lost a lot of key pieces the following offseason (mostly on defense) so it was a pretty easy call to not label them as the best team going into 2013 (and to call them the best team in the league in 2012 would be a bit of a stretch, IMO 2012 was the year that everything came together for them). The 2015 Broncos had Peyton retire (granted, he had nothing left in the tank at that point), so you'd imagine that they wouldn't get back to the SB with a no-name at QB.

And sometimes the team that does win the Super Bowl wasn't the best team in the league that year.

The 2008 Steelers, while a very good team, was able to get to the Super Bowl and win it, thanks in part to a Brady-less Patriots and a weak Colts team that year. Going into 2009 they had to contend with the Colts (which IMO 2009 was Peyton's most impressive season for me) and a Patriots team that got Brady back.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, King Colt said:

We are in the doldrums of the NFL season. With nothing else to do, wild speculation runs rampant. I'm waiting to hear that Jon Gruden is going to lead the Raiders and their fans in invading and attacking the city of Los Angeles - renaming the city New Oakland and declaring himself king of that principality.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:55 PM, JimJaime said:

Part of this is wishful thinking.  Brady is a year older, coaches are off to other teams, and FAs will be snatched up by other teams.  Were I a better with no favorite team, the Pats would be a good bet EVERY YEAR.  Let's just chock this up to #FAKENEWS!

On 2/4/2019 at 6:00 PM, King Colt said:

Highly Questionable is an absolute piece of garbage show and shouldn't even be on the air. 

/rant