Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What can we learn from the pats??

Trace Pyott

I’m sitting here scratching my head at what makes the pats win every freaking year!  I mean yes Brady is great but so is brees and Peyton and many other qb who have played in this league and none have won as much as that annoying bum. 

Then there is bellichick, he is a great coach I won’t deny that but is he really that freaking smart that all the coaches and the league can’t figure him out? Is he really that much smarter than every single coach to ever coach the game?  I just don’t get it. 

I’m not saying they are always cheating but my god something just doesn’t seem right to me especially considering all the stuff they have been caught doing in the past. I forget who it was who said it but they were referring to sports and they basically said that god created all men basically equal. Yes some are a little smarter and some are a little more physically gifted but when you have an outlier someone who is way way way way better than everyone who’s ever lived than something is most likely up.  

So is there anything we can learn from the pats or are they just willing to cheat more than the rest or is the nfl rigged?  I’m being serious here I am not making this to bash NE I’m just wondering how they can be head and shoulders better than everyone. I can see where a team like golden state or someone like that can be , they have 4 or 5 superstars on playing for them every single night out of a 5 player lineup. The pats may have one or two stars but destroy everyone.  How is this happening?  Are the players aware of the cheating and just don’t want to bite the hand that feeds them out of fear?  Ok rant over. 

• Like 1

Simple formula:

1.  Get first downs.  They’re only ten yards and you have at least three chances. 

2.  Hold on every pass play.  The refs won’t call them all.

3.  Head coach and QB sell their souls to the devil.  

The third one is where you really have to commit.  

• Like 5

its about how they run their offense.  they change routes at the los and even during the play itself based on what the defense is doing.  most teams do this to some extent, but they do it the best

Luck and our receivers dont do this nearly as well as the patriots

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its about how they run their offense.  they change routes at the los and even during the play itself based on what the defense is doing.  most teams do this to some extent, but they do it the best

Luck and our receivers dont do this nearly as well as the patriots

Mcdaniels should really try and do this elsewhere.. 

• Like 1

And on defense.. so many times on 3rd and short you can see the Rams running the fake jet sweep and try to roll and hit a crosser in the opposite direction.. There were more Pats players on that side than the other. I'm not one for calling out cheaters. But they just know. Probably because their coach is a mad scientist.

When your Head coach is a Defensive genius. Apparently since 1990.. which i just found out.

And your OC is playing chess when everyone is playing checkers. It's hard NOT to be successful. 

• Like 1

The Pats don’t beat themselves. They also have an ability to change schemes during the game, both offensively and defensively.

That comes down to coaching and executing.

Personally, I want to see the Colts own the bye next year and go against a healthy Brady & company. To see them beat the “unbeatable” Pats in Indy and in the near future, be the stumbling block for the Pats to get back to the SB.

You can’t do it with sloppy play , bad game planning or being predictable, offensively and defensively.

But Reich can outcoach Belichick and with a good off season, they could have the talent to team to keep NE from sniffing another championship.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

The Pats don’t beat themselves. They also have an ability to change schemes during the game, both offensively and defensively.

Personally, I want to see the Colts own the bye next year and go against a healthy Brady & company. To see them beat the “unbeatable” Pats in Indy and in the near future, be the stumbling block for the Pats to get back to the SB.

You can’t do it with sloppy play , bad game planning or being predictable, offensively and defensively.

But Reich can outcoach Belichick and with a good off season, they could have the talent to team to keep NE from sniffing another championship.

I'm not convinced anyone can outcoach Belichick.

Be sure to slip the refs a few bucks.    That seems to have helped the Pats. 

Willing to push the envelope and work in the grey till caught. Same as in the field till refs call the game right. There's no winning the right way. There's just win by any means nessisary for them. I wouldn't doubt one bit if they sold their souls to the devil.....lol

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Without Belichick, Brady is a laissez-faire economist?

Yes. He is just another old dude who counts the production of pin heads.

Oh, wait, speaking of pin heads, I meant to type Alex Smith. Whoops.

• Like 1

Being in the AFC east helps.

Linemen that hold helps. It amazes me how you can have all pros across the line on D and still never get to him.

Mug receivers on D.

Not making excuses, but they get away with a lot, but I'd do the same if it's never called.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Myles said:

Be sure to slip the refs a few bucks.    That seems to have helped the Pats. 

The worst is a well-timed OL holding call to negate a big run play and instead make it first and twenty. Funny how that never seems to happen to them.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, lester said:

Yes. He is just another old dude who counts the production of pin heads.

Oh, wait, speaking of pin heads, I meant to type Alex Smith. Whoops.

That's what I thought.  I was just having a little fun. 

They are a really great runned Franchise. What they have done year in and year out is beyond impressive. They are a dynasty. 

Their 5-10 yard passing game is unbelievable, and they make some no name receivers look like studs and are ALWAYS open. Their defense holds their own mostly with pass rush and blitzes.

Teams really seem to struggle to game plan against them. Idk if it’s a scare factor or just being completely out coached. Its time for other teams in the AFC to step up.

32 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

The worst is a well-timed OL holding call to negate a big run play and instead make it first and twenty. Funny how that never seems to happen to them.

It was a lousy call and when it happened I said to my wife "that's the biggest play of the game."

• Like 2

I learned a few things from this postseason as it relates to the Patriots.

1. Their offensive key is the same as Peyton's. It's getting to the line of scrimmage, reading the defense, and giving Tom Brady full autonomy to change the play to anything based off what he sees. They become water, able to adapt to any defensive call.

2. They exploit your weakness repeatedly. If theres a linebacker on the field who is a liability in the run game, they run right at him. If there is a corner who cant keep up with a receiver, they target that receiver over and over again.

3. On defense, they play tight man coverage where they borderline hold on every play, and they do it purposefully on every play so that the refs dont call it every single time.

4. They do a bunch of twists and stunts to try and get pressure, bringing guys you dont expect and dropping guys you expect to rush into coverage, disguising their blitzes to confuse the O-Line. As a matter of fact, they targeted former Colt Austin Blythe because they felt that he wasn't that good, and they beat him all day. Perhaps they're right.

On the Rams:

1. Jared Goff isn't good. I watched him all year due to having Woods on most of my fantasy teams. He's inconsistent, inaccurate, and his poise under pressure is AWFUL. Dude short arms every dang thrown when there's a chance he gets hit, or just throws the ball way up in the air and prays his guy comes down with it. It cost his team a Superbowl. I think Mcvay has hid Goff's problems with his intelligent play design, giving him more time in the pocket and really wide open receivers, and that's made Goff look better than he actually is.

2. When you play the Patriots, you can't come in and just "do you" and expect to have success. Belichick and his staff are just too good for that. You have to do things they've never seen, call plays that go completely against your own tendencies. The rams did the same tight formation, fake jet sweep play action stuff they've done all year and Belichick picked them apart. They never ONCE went spread wide out of the shotgun, which I believe was a massive mistake.

How can we learn from this?

1. Give Andrew complete control at the LOS.
2. Be unpredictable and break away from all of your own tendencies on offense against the Pats.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Dr. T said:

6 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

and it's funny how the Pats almost never seem to be the victims of those calls. 

Yeah, if there’s one thing Belichick doesn’t teach its discipline...

:loco:

Robert thinks it’s coaching. But, like you said, you would think after all these years someone would crack the code.

People are getting bored of seeing NE in the Super Bowl each year (besides their fans, obvs.) I don’t think the NFL would rig it for them, even if you did buy in to the whole “NFL is rigged” theory.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

3. On defense, they play tight man coverage where they borderline hold on every play, and they do it purposefully on every play so that the refs dont call it every single time.

They were burned once this whole postseason playing the defense... And played Keenan Allen, the Williams brother, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks and Robert woods. Took the MVP of the league into the second half to do his damage.. mostly through a RB. Basically all WR's were shut down.. 

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Another good post. Right up to the Reich out coaching Belichek.
Frank's game plan was ordinary, pedestrian against KC. Hopefully Andrew and Frank can get considerably better as the offense is built over the next couple years.

At this point, they're just in people's heads.  Mahomes comes out and missing receivers by 10 yards in the first half.  Goff was missing open receivers all night.  Against another team, does he look that bad?  Doubtful.

Because of Belichick and their history, they win before they ever step on the field.  Teams just self-destruct against them - Darrel Bevel, Shannahan and their stupidity?

Of course they've also had an inordinate amount of good luck.  This year, they got a bye at 11-5.  On many occasions, 11-5 wouldn't even get you a division title.  They lucked out with the Dee Ford offsides on Brady's 3rd INT, which should have ended the game.  Last night, they got a phantom holding call when the Rams were driving to take the lead.  

• Like 1

I was just amazed by the D. Great game plan preparation by Belichek and Flores.
 How about the play of the DB's. They new where to be in their zones and played lot's of Great man to man. 8 pass breakups and many really hard hits.
 And Hightower and Van Noy sacking and hitting Goff. And just how fast they closed on Goff. This was Elite stuff. And who is Deatrich Wise? Just everyone on D making really big plays.
 And how hard, fast their receivers ran their routes. Gronk and Edelman in particular. Great Great stuff. BEATING THEIR Man in one on one situations. Not just drifting into zones. CB & his Player personnel staff, & Reich will grind to get this happening here.  
 Brandon Cooks sure impressed me too.
 Belichek's Teams play as hard or harder, and Smarter (intelligent-preparation-dedication-toughness) than their opponents come Playoff time. If they didn't, this Would Not have happened over time.

it's not what a lot of people will want to hear but what I learnt.....is simply that we're a long, long, long way behind them. They're pretty much better than us in every single personnel group and also as a collective.

Also, Dwayne Allen, Phillip Dorsett and John Simon will be receiving Superbowl rings in the very near future. Maybe even Ulrick John. That takes a while to sink in I think. 

O I forgot to add I don’t think the nfl is rigging the games for New England but after for a long time believing that there would be no motive for the nfl to put New England in the Super Bowl considering everyone is sick of them.....I realized they would be the perfect team to get ratings. New England is the skip Baylee’s of football teams. Just like Skip just as many people if not more tune in because they hate them and want to see them lose. So like I said I don’t think it’s completely rigged, too many moving pieces but if it was I could see the nfls motive.  I think it’s most likely if New England is cheating its them bugging opposing teams locker rooms or head sets or something to that affect. 

52 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

it's not what a lot of people will want to hear but what I learnt.....is simply that we're a long, long, long way behind them. They're pretty much better than us in every single personnel group and also as a collective.

Also, Dwayne Allen, Phillip Dorsett and John Simon will be receiving Superbowl rings in the very near future. Maybe even Ulrick John. That takes a while to sink in I think. 

We're behind them, but Brady can't play forever, and Belichick can't coach forever.

• Like 1