Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Daurice 'Reece' Fountain

Iron Colt

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Daurice Fountain, has shown very little. that drop in the Chiefs game was garbage time but it was brutal. He will be on the team because he was a draft pick last year, i don't know if he will make the roster though, my geuss is PS.

Zach Banner was a fourth, Basham was a third

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, no. Hilton, Inman, and Cain will all be in front of him. We’re going to add a significant receiver in the draft/FA. He hasn’t proven to be better than Rogers, and Rogers gets an edge because he handles returns. Only way there’s any room at the Inn for him is if he has a world class camp and turns into a undeniable starter. 

And that just isn’t going to happen. 

• Like 1

He was known to be a project when we drafted him. One year isnt going to let us know if he has a future or not. Unless he totally flops in camp he will at least be on the PS again. Pascal made a good jump from year one to two (did he do anything in year one?).

Hopefully he improves and can contribute next year.

• Superman changed the title to Reece Fountain
49 minutes ago, twfish said:

Its Daurice Fountain. He will be competing in training camp. I'm pretty confident that was the first ball hes had thrown at him since he was on p.s most of the season. He was incredibly raw coming out of college and they knew it

35 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Come on man, at least check you know the guys name before starting a thread about him.

I think he gets a fresh start at camp but, depending how active Ballard is in the draft and FA for the position, he may find himself lost in the shuffle.

I didn't start the thread...but Reich calls him Reece...so not sure what the issue is.

• Like 3

Got some awful condescending fans in this thread......jeezush

He's got his given name and what he prefers to be called.

As far as his roster ramifications for next year, he was raw and they worked with him all year and he earned being added to the 53 man the last 3-4 weeks, regardless of the drop versus KC.

I predict he will be the Jordan Matthews/Nelson Agholor slot receiver that Reich used in Philly. A bigger body, but shifty and capable of YAC.

Whats with the backlash on his name? OP is calling him what most call him. Daurice even has Reece as his name on his Twitter...

But besides that, I highly doubt his roster spot is safe. If he doesn't show SIGNIFICANT improvement and we add competition that perform better, he'll be cut. 

11 hours ago, Matabix said:

The latest video of Ballard he says that us fan think we need wr help. He sees it different. I trust him.

That's not exactly what he said. He said he's going to continue to build the lines, finding a ridiculous pass rusher was Paramount. But he also referenced KC, where they have two great WR and a great TE as something he would love to have. 

1 hour ago, TheMiz said:

That's not exactly what he said. He said he's going to continue to build the lines, finding a ridiculous pass rusher was Paramount. But he also referenced KC, where they have two great WR and a great TE as something he would love to have. 

No I paraphrased, basically said he doesn't think WR position is as bad as we do.

8 minutes ago, Matabix said:

No I paraphrased, basically said he doesn't think WR position is as bad as we do.

its not terrible, but its not great either.  they are probably a league average group and if TY is out or off that goes down considerably 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Honestly, no. Hilton, Inman, and Cain will all be in front of him. We’re going to add a significant receiver in the draft/FA. He hasn’t proven to be better than Rogers, and Rogers gets an edge because he handles returns. Only way there’s any room at the Inn for him is if he has a world class camp and turns into a undeniable starter. 

And that just isn’t going to happen. 

I agree, Hilton, Inman, Cain, and I'd even say Rogers and Pascal would be ahead of him.  And even though Ryan Grant was a miss, I could still see them taking a swing at another FA slot WR (Beasley?).

1 hour ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Hope I am wrong but I think this will be a miss by Ballard. I ve said before, no more project players in the draft please. Would rather have guys who know how to do a job. Just my opinion.

He was a late round pick. They almost always are "misses" if you expect any sort of solid contribution. Also, I hold the opinion that it's better to take projects at the end of the draft instead of mediocre players with decent college production.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Calmack said:

He was a late round pick. They almost always are "misses" if you expect any sort of solid contribution. Also, I hold the opinion that it's better to take projects at the end of the draft instead of mediocre players with decent college production.

Oh I know it happens as far as "miss" on draft picks, but I suppose I would expect some sort of contribution. Pretty sure all of our other guys we drafted did have solid contribution, wouldnt you agree? Cain on IR the exception but I think he absolutely will. My point is, Fountain was a 2 star recruit to N Iowa, we couldve gotten EQ St.Brown a 4 star from Notre Dame. Same with Cain, a stud from Clemson. These arent project guys, they have played big boy ball before, and we shouldnt be surprised that Cain was showing out before injury. IMO project players are udfa. We had an exceptional draft and I cant wait too see what happens this year. 

2 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Hope I am wrong but I think this will be a miss by Ballard. I ve said before, no more project players in the draft please. Would rather have guys who know how to do a job. Just my opinion.

Even if it is...not a big deal...it was a mid round pick. Sounds like Fountain was picked because of his measureables but also because of his offseason bowl performance. I would hope that works more often than not.

The interesting part about Fountain is that he was picked before Cain...meaning he was up higher on the board. 

So far I am not crazy about Ballard's approach the WR position. I hope that changes this offseason.

Recievers are almost always going to be a project. They have to learn how to run NFL routes.  This guy needs time. Cain isn’t going  to come in next season and be a impact either. Not only did he get injured so he hasn’t played but he is also coming off a ACL. He probably won’t be ready until 2020 to make a impact.  Even stats like AB it took a few years.

• Like 1

This is the same crowd that wanted Hines cut and called him a for sure bust. Fountain has the skillset, the speed and the size thats necessary to excel. Im confident he will make the team and we will see what made Ballard draft him. I know a capable ball player when i see one. He will be fine. I remember Reggie Wayne not looking so smooth his first year. We will see a better player next season.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Oh I know it happens as far as "miss" on draft picks, but I suppose I would expect some sort of contribution. Pretty sure all of our other guys we drafted did have solid contribution, wouldnt you agree? Cain on IR the exception but I think he absolutely will. My point is, Fountain was a 2 star recruit to N Iowa, we couldve gotten EQ St.Brown a 4 star from Notre Dame. Same with Cain, a stud from Clemson. These arent project guys, they have played big boy ball before, and we shouldnt be surprised that Cain was showing out before injury. IMO project players are udfa. We had an exceptional draft and I cant wait too see what happens this year. 

I wouldnt agree. Cain, Fountain, Adams, and Frankin had little to no contribution this year aside from a few tackles from Adams and Franklin. Also the star rank label players have is for highschool. Everything changes once they go to college. Ed Reed was a 2 or 3 star recruit while Ronald Powell was a 5 star recruit (ever heard of him?). As for Cain, lots of players show out in practices and preseason and amount to nothing (ex. Griff Whalen). Don't get me wrong, id love for Cain to be a solid contributor. I just wouldnt be surprised if he does nothing. 

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

This is the same crowd that wanted Hines cut and called him a for sure bust. Fountain has the skillset, the speed and the size thats necessary to excel. Im confident he will make the team and we will see what made Ballard draft him. I know a capable ball player when i see one. He will be fine. I remember Reggie Wayne not looking so smooth his first year. We will see a better player next season.

Out of curiosity, what did you see that makes you think he's a capable ball player? Based off his time with us, not in college. Because I literally saw nothing from him, but that's just me.

11 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Out of curiosity, what did you see that makes you think he's a capable ball player? Based off his time with us, not in college. Because I literally saw nothing from him, but that's just me.

I cant make you see what i see so i wont spend much time trying. I saw the athleticism i needed to see in the few appearances he made. Had a few good catches in the last preseason game. Was running wide open against KC, just made a bad drop. The plan was to bring him along slow. The same comments were made about Hines after preseason. You all said "I didnt see anything Hines was good at". Fountain will be fine, i saw the same athlete i saw in the college film. Just needs more targets.

Fountain will indeed have his hands full trying to make the roster next year. He's gonna have to beat out Cain or Pascal for the final spot. I believe the Colts will bring in at least two guys (One through the draft and the other in Free Agency) with the expectation for them to be day 1  starters.

38 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I wouldnt agree. Cain, Fountain, Adams, and Frankin had little to no contribution this year aside from a few tackles from Adams and Franklin. Also the star rank label players have is for highschool. Everything changes once they go to college. Ed Reed was a 2 or 3 star recruit while Ronald Powell was a 5 star recruit (ever heard of him?). As for Cain, lots of players show out in practices and preseason and amount to nothing (ex. Griff Whalen). Don't get me wrong, id love for Cain to be a solid contributor. I just wouldnt be surprised if he does nothing. 

No sir I have not heard of Powell (USC rb?), Reed came from a powerhouse program that developes talent, and one of the best diamond in the rough stories ever. At least our 7th rd draft picks in Adams and Franklin made it onto the field to contribute. You are 100% correct about Cain, we dont know what will happen, but I like his chances to bounce back though. Think he had some off field issues possibly that dropped him down in draft. As to the op's thread about Fountain, who knows also? Its just an opinion any dang way. 

It's possible for himsto make an impact but he is will need a big 2nd year jump. The Colts will given him the opportunity. If he does not improve in the next 1-2 years, he may be playing for another team, if at all.  That TD pass he dropped against KC in the playoffs does not help his outlook and off-season thoughts.  Although it was meaningless as far the the outcome, it means something to someone who had a hard time coming off the practice squad.

On 2/2/2019 at 6:41 PM, twfish said:

Its Daurice Fountain.

And Daurice Fountain has said he goes by Reece, and has for quite a while.... Can't find it, but he said in a "get to know the rookies" minicamp interview, that he goes by Reece.  CBS sports, SB nation, Zak Keefer, etc..... have referred to him by his preferred name ever since......  Don't be so Sanctimonious.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

If we start wondering if roster bubble guys going into their 2nd year might be "possible misses" after getting picked in the 5th round...... color me happy.

• Like 2

It should have been his first NFL touchdown. He was wide open and jumped when he didn't need to. It's a mistake that happens to pee-wee players, not someone who is trying to break into an NFL lineup. That drop not only showed terrible technique, but more so a lack of confidence. If he lacked confidence before that play, now he is probably really spooked. For his sake, I hope he can get over it, more than we get over it.

42 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I wouldn’t count on seeing Reece Fountain on anything but the practice squad if that. The Colts won’t have room for him on the 53 man roster after FA and the draft, and he’s just not that good. 

And how did you go about finding that out?  Off of 1 dropped pass?  If you say anything else you're doing nothing but speculating because you really haven't seen him play enough to be certain.

• Like 2