Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do our backs have this in them

Restinpeacesweetchloe

I was pretty new to football and the colts when edge was a rookie and like many others have said on here I do not remember him being that big at all!  Sadly, I seem to remember him mostly after his injury. He was a very good player and what stood out to me was his vision and patience. He would almost trot behind a lineman and pick up 4 yards at a time almost at will. 

After watching this video I am shocked at the speed and burst he had pre injury. He was like a mix of Barry Sanders and Jim brown. He deserves to be in the hall now but if he hadn’t gotten injured I think he would of def been an all time great. 

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Edge was tough.

He was indeed tough.

However, the most positive thing I recognized about E. James, was he always fell forward. He was a north, south runner that always churned out positive yardage.

One of my all time favorites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every time I think of Edge it reminds me of how mad I was at Polian for not making the trade with that doofus Mike Ditka. We could have had all of their picks and still got Edge. If  I recall Polian said he didn't want to do it because he didn't want to pay for all of those picks. Crazy

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2014/4/17/5623840/nfl-draft-saints-ricky-williams-mike-ditka-trade

4 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

He went in the 2005 draft. After he sat behind Portis and McGahee. Thats unreal talent on the bench lol

Gore actually beat out McGahee in 2002 but tore his ACL early in the season (maybe late in the pre-season) and would have been the starter that year.  He tore his knee again in the 2003 season.  It always amazes me that Gore has become one of the most durable RBs in NFL history  after his injury troubles in Miami (missing just 14 games in 14 seasons... one season with 11 games, 4 seasons with 14 games, 1 season with 15 games, and 8 seasons with 16 games).  I think he would have been for sure a 1st round pick (top 10) had teams not been worried about his knees.  I do remember Edge always saying he might just retire after his rookie contract because he knew there were some younger guys who'd be coming up around then who would be ready to take his job and I always thought he may have been eluding to Gore.  Anyway, yes that was Running Back U for a bit there. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

One thing I always remember about Edge is an interview with Zach Thomas who used to play MLB for the Dolphins.  This was when he was a player and he said Edge was the least fun RB in the league to tackle because he either made you miss and look foolish or if he hit you he made it hurt.

Here's some other notable quotes on Edge from Peyton, Parcells, Rex Ryan, John Gruden, Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas:  https://cbs4indy.com/2018/01/29/edgerrin-james-on-hall-of-fame-worthiness-i-did-everything-at-a-high-level/

And some more from other opponents: https://horseshoeheroes.com/2016/02/05/what-former-opponents-said-about-colts-hall-of-fame-finalist-edgerrin-james/

45 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

Every time I think of Edge it reminds me of how mad I was at Polian for not making the trade with that doofus Mike Ditka. We could have had all of their picks and still got Edge. If  I recall Polian said he didn't want to do it because he didn't want to pay for all of those picks. Crazy

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2014/4/17/5623840/nfl-draft-saints-ricky-williams-mike-ditka-trade

Polian didn't think James would last to the 12th pick.

• Like 1

I was posting on the Indystar.com forum back then.  And I thing I remember more than anything is how many fans were upset that Polian drafted James when future HOF, once in a generation running back, Ricky Williams, was available.  Very few fans (less than 10% of those that posted on the Indystar forum) thought James was a good draft pick.

I distinctly remember reading posts about James being a "reach" (a lot of people claiming that they could have made the trade with NO and still got James).  Some people even claimed he wasn't even the best RB for Miami so he would not do much in the NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think he has the best hands, he has had several drops.  two of them went for pick sixes 

Yeah...it's definitely him and not the coaching staff. Hopefully he can improve...but I would still look for another option that can catch.

24 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I was posting on the Indystar.com forum back then.  And I thing I remember more than anything is how many fans were upset that Polian drafted James when future HOF, once in a generation running back, Ricky Williams, was available.  Very few fans (less than 10% of those that posted on the Indystar forum) thought James was a good draft pick.

I distinctly remember reading posts about James being a "reach" (a lot of people claiming that they could have made the trade with NO and still got James).  Some people even claimed he wasn't even the best RB for Miami so he would not do much in the NFL.

yeah i remember that, edge wasnt even very well known ( at least in my high school) for being such a high draft pick. 

to be fair willams was productive and had a 10k yard career, but he put his teams through a lot, while several have said james was their favorite team mate

Dang that 40 time is unreal for a guy as big as he was and with the cuts he could make. One of my fav memories about edge was my friend ( who was a saints fan) pointing out how weird it was that edge and Peyton got along so well. You had Peyton a goofy country boy who was kind of nerdy but in a good way and then you have edge who has gold teeth and dread locks. Then you add Marvin who was as quiet as a mouse but would light you up.  It didn’t matter though, they were great teammates and goes to show you can’t judge a book on its cover and that people who seemingly are totally different can get along. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

It doesn't really talk about how he got it though. Did a teammate have to sacrifice one of their own rings to gift it to him? I don't think you can just have these made in the same vein as the originals, so was a copycat made?

From what I read, a team can distribute any number of rings. I also saw on https://www.bankrate.com/financing/wealth/whats-a-super-bowl-ring-worth/ that basically, the NFL gives funding for up to 150 rings. Any more rings ordered would have to be covered financially without the NFL:   

"The NFL gives teams an allowance of $5,000 per ring for up to 150 rings. Teams can spend more on the rings and usually do — they’ve been getting larger and more sparkly over the years. The team can also order more than 150, but the jeweler usually picks up the extra costs. 

Irsay sent him a ring after the Super Bowl, so it was probably out of his own pocket or it was one of the 150 that the NFL covers. 

Edge missed the HOF again.  

Had he won a ring, I'm certain he would be in.  Had those teams won several rings, multiple players would probably get in.  Gonna be very tough for Reggie, too 

Ty Law intercepted Manning a few times in the playoffs and won rings.  Without the rings and those moments, would he be a HOFer?  Doubtful.

Amazing group of running backs the Colts have had:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/career-rushing.htm

I was at the Eagles game in 99. James ran that sweep for 62 yards and a TD, right in front of me. It was like a blur...

I’ve always wondered why he didn’t have a whole lot of long runs for TDS and I think it was because he had so many runs where he had to break tackles so the  DBs were able to catch him.

But, the things that impressed me was his ability to get low, always falling forward, his ability to block and catch.

Edge was a phenom.  I'd be happy if we had a RB that is as good  as Joe Addai was!

First NFL running back to gain over 1000 yards in a season having never started a single game (1081 in 2006), and his Epic 4 TD game vs. the Eagles is still in my memory.  Closest thing I see that resembles our backs to Addai... injuries.  Well, I'm only half joking here.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Edge was a phenom.  I'd be happy if we had a RB that is as good  as Joe Addai was!

First NFL running back to gain over 1000 yards in a season having never started a single game (1081 in 2006), and his Epic 4 TD game vs. the Eagles is still in my memory.  Closest thing I see that resembles our backs to Addai... injuries.  Well, I'm only half joking here.

Addai was under rated IMO.  He was Manning's safety valve out of the backfield and was one of the best blockers I have ever seen. He caught a lot of first downs after making great blocks.