Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do our backs have this in them

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Edge is a potential HOFer (he's a finalist again this year, and I hope he gets in), so no, our current backs probably can't do what he was doing. Edge was special, #4 pick in the draft, explosive, powerful, great vision, elusiveness, great balance, etc. Even after his injury, he was better than every back we've had since.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

Edge is a potential HOFer (he's a finalist again this year, and I hope he gets in), so no, our current backs probably can't do what he was doing. Edge was special, #4 pick in the draft, explosive, powerful, great vision, elusiveness, great balance, etc. Even after his injury, he was better than every back we've had since.

I would never expect any of our backs to be like him. I guess what I meant do we have the potential back that can be a good receiver and catch all those screen passes. That opens up so much.

5 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Edge is like all our current backs rolled into one and then some.

I believe that he recieved a ring from the organisation after the SB win. Can anyone clarify that?

Yeah i think it was Irsay who insisted he get one. It sucks they let him go. 

• Like 3

I don’t think we will see a all around RB like that for awhile. I don’t watch other teams enough to know if there are any RB like that today. I think the game has changed so much. But man how did we not win a SB with him, Harrison, wayne. That offense was unstoppable. Watching those highlights brings back some memories. It would be nice to have a back that could play receiver like that also.

I only got a chance to see Edge play a time or two a year, but I was amazed to see how quickly he hit the hole.  Surprised Peyton didn't break his arm on some of those handoffs, lol.  Was also a bit surprised at how big he looked.  I only got to see him a couple times a year, but I don't remember him being as "big" as he looked there.

I think Mack has the ability to be pretty good on screens, but don't know about over the line or upfield.  Haven't seen enough to know.

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I only got a chance to see Edge play a time or two a year, but I was amazed to see how quickly he hit the hole.  Surprised Peyton didn't break his arm on some of those handoffs, lol.  Was also a bit surprised at how big he looked.  I only got to see him a couple times a year, but I don't remember him being as "big" as he looked there.

I think Mack has the ability to be pretty good on screens, but don't know about over the line or upfield.  Haven't seen enough to know.

When I was watching those highlights I said the same thing about how big he looked.  I don’t remember thinking he was that big. He should of retired a colt.

• Like 1

What an amazing video...  My Goodness. Young Edge (pre knee injury) looked like the 2nd coming of Jim Brown.  His vision & balance were second to none.  Wow. :mindblow:  He would have flirted with 2000 yards behind our current offensive line.  With the maulers we currently have & Edge getting better with every carry...  I have no doubt about that.  

And people say Peyton made him...  Check the stats.  Peyton was 3-13 his rookie year and a turnover machine.  Bring in Edge the next year and we go 13-3.  Peyton nearly cuts his interceptions in half & Edge leads the league in rushing.  Truth is Edge helped Peyton settle in & grow because he had an immediate Hall of Fame type back that he could give it to 20-30 times a game to take the pressure off.  He was that special. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The chances of the Colts finding another back like Edge in the draft is about slim to none.  Especially when we draft them in the 4th. rd and back.  We can cherish the memories though.  Of course there is one available in FA who could who could change all of that.  Never mind "he would cost too much".  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Watching EJ rookie highlights. It’s been so long ago you forget how good he was. Especially as a receiver. I think maybe when people are thinking of LB maybe this is what they think our backs can’t do. But I guess this is why EJ will be in the Hall. It’s sad we couldn’t get him a ring.

By far my favorite “modern era” Colts player! Got to meet him a handful of times. Humble dude for certain. Gotta get him in the Hall!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Superman said:

QFT Wish I could like this 100 more times!

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The chances of the Colts finding another back like Edge in the draft is about slim to none.  Especially when we draft them in the 4th. rd and back.  We can cherish the memories though.  Of course there is one available in FA who could who could change all of that.  Never mind "he would cost too much".  

I just heard a loud Bell ring around my house, strange. Maybe it is the weather :funny:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think we will see a all around RB like that for awhile. I don’t watch other teams enough to know if there are any RB like that today. I think the game has changed so much. But man how did we not win a SB with him, Harrison, wayne. That offense was unstoppable. Watching those highlights brings back some memories. It would be nice to have a back that could play receiver like that also.

Imagine EJ behind our current line. :)

32 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

What an amazing video...  My Goodness. Young Edge (pre knee injury) looked like the 2nd coming of Jim Brown.

Funny you say this(I totally agree btw), because he ended up taking JB’s spot all-time for scrimmage yards per game stat. Which imho should be just one of many reasons to get his awesome self into the Hall! #32 was very hard to stop, plus his receivers hands, coupled w/his ability to stone defenders in the passing game. He was deceptively fast when he hit the hole, and regularly pulled away at the 2nd lvl. Sorry for tha man crush rant. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As our old PA Announcer used to say in the RCA Dome where it echoed, "Edegerrin James on the Carry, Edge for 5".

Left w/many a headache after watching a game in the Dome. Mostly from yelling, just like everyone else in that joint. That place could get a ROCKIN’! Had the pleasure of seeing quite a few games there back in the day. Got to see players like Marino/Kelly/Favre  engineer comeback wins on us also. Hated to lose, but loved watching great football. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColtsWin said:

Left w/many a headache after watching a game in the Dome. Mostly from yelling, just like everyone else in that joint. That place could get a ROCKIN’! Had the pleasure of seeing quite a few games there back in the day. Got to see players like Marino/Kelly/Favre  engineer comeback wins on us also. Hated to lose, but loved watching great football. 

Yeah I went to a lot of games too back then. We had an awesome HFA back then, that place was loud as heck lmao . Our record at home between 2004-2006 was an incredible 25-3 including the Playoffs. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

No they do not. Dude was an animal. I wish he never got hurt. He was good after but man he was another level prior.

Hes also a Cane great baby!!!

WPortis and McGahee Jeremy Shockey  Andre Johnson and a very stout D. Greatest team for the U imho. Didn’t Frank Gore go in the draft the year or so before their run?

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I went to a lot of games too back then. We had an awesome HFA back then, that place was loud as heck lmao . Our record at home between 2004-2006 was an incredible 25-3 including the Playoffs. 

A beautiful thing. I may be getting all nostalgic. :) Our HFA was 2nd to none. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wish Edge would've been on our Title team in 2006, if he had he would make the HOFame easily. 

Agree 100%

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was, it was alot better than it is now. That place was so loud I seen some wearing ear plugs at a couple of games. I went to the Dallas game in 1999 and it was a mad house when Marv burned Deion.

Smart fans wore headphone radios, so they heard play by play from Lamey while they watched the game, while leaving with no headache. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Stop it man, you're starting to sound logical lol. People are so die hard about keeping Lev out of town, but there's no denying he'd bring the offense to an entirely different level. Plus, if they either acquire a WR via FA, or draft one fairly early, the offense would rival the best in the league. It's no fluke that the top 4 offenses made the Final 4.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

Mack will NEVER be as good as Edge and we can certainly upgrade the RB position 

Edge is my favorite Colt Behind  Reggie 

Mack is a good runner...but doesn't offer enough in the passing game. I always blamed Chud for not utilizing him enough as a pass catcher...but then an entire new coaching staff doesn't either.

Maybe that's something they can work on in the offseason...but he's now two years into the league. For some reason, it just doesn't come naturally.

This is one area I want to see improve...someone who can make plays in the passing game AND running game. Seems like right now...they have a RB that can run well and a scat back that can catch passees. It would be nice to have another back with decent size that can catch and run. I would love to get Coleman in FA...but he probably doesn't want to come to a RBC.

Interesting group of RBs available as well...depending on what you can stomach.

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

There is very little comparison between Edge and bell

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoColtsWin said:

WPortis and McGahee Jeremy Shockey  Andre Johnson and a very stout D. Greatest team for the U imho. Didn’t Frank Gore go in the draft the year or so before their run?

He went in the 2005 draft. After he sat behind Portis and McGahee. Thats unreal talent on the bench lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

There is very little comparison between Edge and bell

I watched the Edge highlights and wow! I forgot just how explosive, elusive and powerful he was.

Then I watched Bell highlights. I thought I was watching slow motion, and I'm not talking about waiting for the hole to open. Bell's "wow" moments are really in the passing game. Edge's wow moments are everywhere!

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Mack is a good runner...but doesn't offer enough in the passing game. I always blamed Chud for not utilizing him enough as a pass catcher...but then an entire new coaching staff doesn't either.

i dont think he has the best hands, he has had several drops.  two of them went for pick sixes