Coltsfan0112

Quenton Nelson Played With 2 Bulging Disc

Pretty impressive playing at a very high level and playing with back pain. Don't know how serious it was but knowing he didn't miss any games or practices it may have been minor. In Baldy's video he mentions how he played with it and was the first person to come pick up his teamates. Here is the link.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1089236421515333632

https://mobile.twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1089213983222087681

• Like 1

That is pretty impressive. I love those videos. I crack up watching big q run down the field when a big play is made.

• Like 1

Is he going to have to have surgery? If so how long is he supposed to be out?

If he truly was negatively affected by his injury than I truly feel sorry for the guys who will face him in the next few years but it may backfire against us .......

Once he is totally healthy, hits the weight room with pro trainers for a consistent length of time and the game totally slows down to him he is going to be getting flagged all game because he’s going to make people look so bad that the ref is just going to assume a penalty took place.  I’m totally joking but sadly I think many of his penalties came because he obliterated his opponents and the refs had no idea what they were witnessing because they hadn’t seen anything like it before. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trace Pyott said:

If he truly was negatively affected by his injury than I truly feel sorry for the guys who will face him in the next few years but it may backfire against us .......

Once he is totally healthy, hits the weight room with pro trainers for a consistent length of time and the game totally slows down to him he is going to be getting flagged all game because he’s going to make people look so bad that the ref is just going to assume a penalty took place.  I’m totally joking but sadly I think many of his penalties came because he obliterated his opponents and the refs had no idea what they were witnessing because they hadn’t seen anything like it before. 

It doesn’t sound like he will need surgery. If it was major he wouldn’t of played 16 games.

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

not only not missing any games or practices...he didn't miss a SNAP all season. 

He's old school type player. I really like this guy's commitment to the team and fans.

• Like 3

Bulging discs can be calmed down non-surgically unless they herniate but can also lead to chronic issues down the line. Not an ideal thing to have but hope he can correct it conservatively.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

not only not missing any games or practices...he didn't miss a SNAP all season. 

Just WOW...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Bulging discs can be calmed down non-surgically unless they herniate but can also lead to chronic issues down the line. Not an ideal thing to have but hope he can correct it conservatively.

He mentioned in another video that he needs to work on keeping his hands inside.

He doesn’t think he’s the best lineman in football. The video is in another topic (interview with Cris Simms).

1 hour ago, Trace Pyott said:

Chiropractic care will help with this without going under the knife

• Like 1

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

Chiropractic care will help with this without going under the knife

that and some local injections

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

Pretty impressive playing at a very high level and playing with back pain. Don't know how serious it was but knowing he didn't miss any games or practices it may have been minor. In Baldy's video he mentions how he played with it and was the first person to come pick up his teamates. Here is the link.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1089236421515333632

https://mobile.twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1089213983222087681

what a bad *

• Like 2

Q is a beast, we need more like him on this team. Play though pain. I have done that all of my life playing hockey, baseball and softball. 

Yeah I did a double take when Baldy said that.

Nelson also mentioned how his back hurt when he was going up against Geno Atkins because of straining/standing his ground against bullrushes. It was kind of a throw away statement on his part but it caught my hear after hearing Baldy mention the two bulging discs.

3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Given Nelson's size and physical play...I would think chronic issues are very much a possbility...if he is having back issues now...especially after his playing career is over.

Like you said...not ideal at all. 

• Sad 1

As if I didn't like this dude enough already! 

Not only is he a a pro bowl pancake issuing mountain, he's tough as nails on top. 

Call me impressed. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

He mentioned in another video that he needs to work on keeping his hands inside.

He doesn’t think he’s the best lineman in football. The video is in another topic (interview with Cris Simms).

He is one of the best Gs...but there are a lot of good OTs in the NFL right now.

Dude is unreal. I hope he can manage the bulging disks and doesn't create a huge problem later on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Q is a beast, we need more like him on this team. Play though pain. I have done that all of my life playing hockey, baseball and softball. 

How has that work out for ya?

That's why you play professionally huh.....:thmdown:

8 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Yeah!  I’ve watched several games with pulled hamstrings.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wonder what his source is for this.  I haven't been able to find any other reports on this.  If true, that's absolutely insane.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I wonder what his source is for this.  I haven't been able to find any other reports on this.  If true, that's absolutely insane.

Probably Q himself. Baldy, Jaws, and Q did a film session (and another with Darius)

10 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Exactly, very concerning

22 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Idk if he's the best lineman in football, but he was a rookie! He's only gonna get better, and he was apparently playing with a fairly severe injury...and still mauling people! Lol the kid is a monster. I'm a huge ND fan, and I'll be honest, I don't remember him being that vicious up front for ND. I mean, he was great obviously, but looks like he's taking it to a whole new level of nasty 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Can this be a issue down the road?

It depends on how much they are bulging, but yes it can be an issue the more he plays. 

• Thanks 1

I think with as big as he is back issues could be a problem in the future. We just need to enjoy him for the years he does play.

Quick....Ballard we need you to find us another Quinton Nelson...just in case.  If only it were that easy.   Lol 

These guys deserve great health coverage for life, imo.  22 y.o. with back problems. :(

• Like 1

Great to hear that he can play through it, BUT this could be a big deal down the line.  He could get treatment for it that would ease it now, but it could herniate and cause nerve problems later, especially in the line of work he does.  This is NOT an insignificant disclosure at all.  Now, does it automatically mean he will have worse issues later?  Of course not.  But it can be a gateway to them for sure.  

I am not nearly his size and have had issues with them (and a couple of surgeries) since I began weightlifting in college.  Even if you do things with strict form and wear a belt you can STILL have issues with heavy weights that are no doubt required for him to maintain his current physique and strength, especially once you start having issues like he is now.  The good news is it doesn't always require fusion, which is a MUCH longer recovery time.  Sometimes you can have a micro procedure where they just make a small incision and go in with a microscope and "scrape" out the herniated portion of the disc.  I was feeling like my old self in about 6 weeks after that one.  A fusion will require > 1 year to heal up.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong about his situation, but I suspect this won't be the only issue he endures in his NFL career.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 11:24 AM, Chloe6124 said:

It doesn’t sound like he will need surgery. If it was major he wouldn’t of played 16 games.

And i dont beleive the Colts would have wanted him playing in the pro bowl either

• Like 1

Back pain sucks!!!

Some bulging discs can be painless. As I was told just yesterday by a spine surgeon " I can't help the pain go away, I can only make it worse." However when it effects other areas such as arms, legs ect . That is where they come into play. 

With Quenton being the athlete he is I am sure he will get any and all treatment available. Sure hope we get 15+ years out of him. 

Personally,  I hope Nelson gets those disks removed if they give him any more pain or discomfort.

In most cases, having a herniated disk removed can be simple outpatient surgery.    You're in and out the same day.    Obvious every case is different...    and Nelson's imcredible size I'm sure can complicate matters.    But I wince at the idea of Nelson playing with on-going back pain.    That's a hard way to make a living.

I'm sure Q and his doctors and the Colts will do what's right.....

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/edge/2015/09/03/rothman-institute-pro-athletes-back-injuries-tony-romo-dwight-howard

Here's a very informative article about these types of issues in athletes. 

Here are my takeaways:

1. They are VERY common in athletes, especially in offensive lineman.

2. Simple rest may be all that's needed, or some basic medication.

3. If pain persists, surgery can be an option. Superstars like Tony Romo and Dwight Howard are examples of players who successfully returned after surgery. But even the surgery is considered relatively minor.

4. As it pertains to Big Q, hes gonna be fine. He just really needs to take it easy on his back for a few weeks, and I'm sure he has access to world class therapy that will help make the healing even easier.

Colts nation, everything is fine. Dont panic, hes gonna be alright

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/edge/2015/09/03/rothman-institute-pro-athletes-back-injuries-tony-romo-dwight-howard

Here's a very informative article about these types of issues in athletes. 

Here are my takeaways:

1. They are VERY common in athletes, especially in offensive lineman.

2. Simple rest may be all that's needed, or some basic medication.

3. If pain persists, surgery can be an option. Superstars like Tony Romo and Dwight Howard are examples of players who successfully returned after surgery. But even the surgery is considered relatively minor.

4. As it pertains to Big Q, hes gonna be fine. He just really needs to take it easy on his back for a few weeks, and I'm sure he has access to world class therapy that will help make the healing even easier.

Colts nation, everything is fine. Dont panic, hes gonna be alright

I've had two herniated disc surgeries myself, they are not fun in the slightest. Surgery is really only on the table if the bulge of the disc herniates (meaning the gel-like fluid inside springs a leak) or if the bulge is big it rubs on a spinal nerve. The latter cain cause numbness and weakness in the extremeties. 

As was mentiones, the surgery is outpatientand relatively minor. Full recovery for me was about 6-8 weeks. One just needs to be careful with their back going forward because the disc is smaller than it was before and leaves less cushion between the vertebrae.

If they are just minor bulged discs not irratating any spinal nerves, rest, anti-inflamitories and chiropractic/traction can usually calm them down most of the time.

Lots of guys in the NFL have had them and some like Watt and Gronk have had the surgery and come back fine.