Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Several Mock Drafts Has Colts Taking A WR With Their First Round Pick

Tombstone

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If you would have an equally rated, pass rusher to a equally rated WR....... (If thats possible)

I would go DL based on the stated bigger need... AND the "build the lines FIRST" MANTRA from CB

In this draft their appears to be 8-9 Tier 1 DL

In this draft their appears to be 1-2 Tier 1 WR

If ALL of the Tier 1 DL is gone, I am going BPA of OT, Safety, or LB

I personally dont think a WR is warrented in round 1

There also some very decent WRs that would (should be) available in round 2 

Lil Jorden Humphreys

Hakeem Butler

Deebo Samuel

JJ Arcega

Riley Ridley

Marquise Brown

ANY of these 6 would step up our team at WR. 

There will be one or two of this group that MIGHT be there with our late 2nd rounder

I don't know about you. If most of the top tier DL talent is gone, I want Mack Wilson of Alabama. His football IQ is very high and he has the talent and instincts to cover TEs and RBs in the current NFL. Between him and Darius Leonard, our LB corps would be one of the best in the league and would be able to cover TEs well while playing the run well too. Just my two cents. :) 

I am looking at where Alabama ILBs have been drafted lately and he fits right in with C J Mosley, Donta Hightower kinds, and in talent, I feel he is somewhere in between those two. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don't know about you. If most of the top tier DL talent is gone, I want Mack Wilson of Alabama. His football IQ is very high and he has the talent and instincts to cover TEs and RBs in the current NFL. Between him and Darius Leonard, our LB corps would be one of the best in the league and would be able to cover TEs well while playing the run well too. Just my two cents. :) 

I am looking at where Alabama ILBs have been drafted lately and he fits right in with C J Mosley, Donta Hightower kinds, and in talent, I feel he is somewhere in between those two. 

Mack Wilson would be a GREAT pick up for this defense

I want a DL though.... but wouldnt lose sleep if we picked him up

He MAY still be available in round 2

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Mack Wilson would be a GREAT pick up for this defense

I want a DL though.... but wouldnt lose sleep if we picked him up

He MAY still be available in round 2

With so many defenses needing play makers, I doubt Mack Wilson would get past the playoff teams behind us, especially if they know how well Saban coaches his ILBs. 

He was very good with his hands that Saban placed him on special teams and even offense, yeah, if a guy like Saban trusts him to play so many roles and play multiple LB positions, Belichick would snag him up in a minute. Here is some insight:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/1/25/18189753/2019-nfl-draft-prospect-mack-wilson-lb-alabama

On 1/29/2019 at 8:20 PM, Tombstone said:

Will you be disappointed if this was the case and we go receiver in the first round.  He is aware that the Colts fan are looking for a number 2 Wide out and he did say in that interview the fans say that this is a need.  This is going to be interesting what happens but in Chris I trust

I would probably be disappointed.  I'd prefer more defense with the first 2 picks at least, if not the first 3.  Depending on who's on the board of course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

I would probably be disappointed.  I'd prefer more defense with the first 2 picks at least, if not the first 3.  Depending on who's on the board of course.

If we go D with our 1st and both 2nds, I would hope Ballard has address the wr position in FA. Rather it be tyrell Williams or Adam Humphries. I’m fine with going heavy on the Dline and secondary with our top picks. But I rather not have another year with Rogers/pascal/grant as wr’s to be heavily relied on. An injury to ty would derail our offense. We need depth at wr also. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

If we go D with our 1st and both 2nds, I would hope Ballard has address the wr position in FA. Rather it be tyrell Williams or Adam Humphries. I’m fine with going heavy on the Dline and secondary with our top picks. But I rather not have another year with Rogers/pascal/grant as wr’s to be heavily relied on. An injury to ty would derail our offense. We need depth at wr also. 

I do agree but I think we could still get a good WR in the 3rd, maybe even the 4th.

I am not concerned about where Ballard drafts what.  I am more interested in how he builds the team: Draft, FA, keeping our guys we want to keep, trades.  So what we do with our 1st rd pick has to be taken in context to other moves that are made.  They are all part of the same picture.

You can sort of hear what Ballard is prioritizing and that is getting much more improvement out of our pass rush.  When he felt that way about the OL/DL last year he prioritized it over everything. And he started things off with the position that was the deepest in that draft.  I'm sure he'll do that again unless there is a player there that he feels is just too good to pass up.  Looks like in this draft that position is the DL.  So this time around I won't be as surprised with the pick(s) when he pulls the trigger.  

I don't really feel like he's going to draft a WR in the first round at all. I don't think he'll get to that position until 4th round or so.  We've got about 4 young guys with potential to work with already.  I think he'll stay true to his mantra and grab guys for the DL early and probably defensive positions in general.  I trust his eye for talent so I ain't tripping!

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 11:07 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Deep does not mean that you can just draft defense at any and every pick and get good value. Eventually the talent level starts to ween. Deep means you can quality players outside of the first round. It’s very possible that Ballard’s top rated defenders will be gone at pick 26. His highest graded player could be a WR. He’s not going to reach for a defender just because.

People in the board keep throwing the word “deep” around without proper understanding of what that means.

The first 2 rounds will be "loaded" with defensive talent. CBall is a trenches guy first and foremost. I am also a huge ND fan and saw Clemsons front destroy a very good oline and just so happens some of them will be available, and will look great in blue and white. As for some of the projected top wrs, theres like 2 from Ole Miss going first round? Why havent I heard of them and why wasnt Ole Miss any good with them?Hard pass imo. Think we have 3 picks in top 60 and imo he goes defense on all 3. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

The first 2 rounds will be "loaded" with defensive talent. CBall is a trenches guy first and foremost. I am also a huge ND fan and saw Clemsons front destroy a very good oline and just so happens some of them will be available, and will look great in blue and white. As for some of the projected top wrs, theres like 2 from Ole Miss going first round? Why havent I heard of them and why wasnt Ole Miss any good with them?Hard pass imo. Think we have 3 picks in top 60 and imo he goes defense on all 3. 

20 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Colts are the number 7 ranked offense without adding a WR.   While I will agree the position needs upgraded.  To spend a high draft pick on a WR is stupid.    We need more playmakers on D 

According to EXP on Pro Football Reference, the Colts were 8th in both team offense and team defense.

I agree that the defense needs playmakers...but I am not against using one of those 2nd rounders if a legit WR is there. The 2nd round-early 3rd round has been a very good spot for WRs in recent years (Landry, Robinson, Adams, Thomas, Boyd, Kupp, Juju). And I like this draft's class chances of delivering at least a couple more to add to that list.

But I am also firmly on the trade Brissett bandwagon. If they can do that and get another solid Day Two pick...that really opens up the 2nd and 3rd rounds for them.

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

According to EXP on Pro Football Reference, the Colts were 8th in both team offense and team defense.

I agree that the defense needs playmakers...but I am not against using one of those 2nd rounders if a legit WR is there. The 2nd round-early 3rd round has been a very good spot for WRs in recent years (Landry, Robinson, Adams, Thomas, Boyd, Kupp, Juju). And I like this draft's class chances of delivering at least a couple more to add to that list.

But I am also firmly on the trade Brissett bandwagon. If they can do that and get another solid Day Two pick...that really opens up the 2nd and 3rd rounds for them.

I’d be ok using a second.  Not the Jets second but our other second.  Only if it is BPA for WR 

I’m indifferent on the trade Brissett deal.    He brings more to the team than a clipboard holder.   He’s a leader and a presence in the locker room.  And yet if something doesn’t happen with him he will be gone after FA in 2020. So extend him or trade him.  IMO 

8 hours ago, J@son said:

Outside of TY, we may have the worst group of WR's in the league. And you prefer we ignore improving that group with any of the first 3 picks? I have to hope we don't go that route. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

If you haven’t heard about the Ole Miss wideouts, then you don’t follow the draft. And are you really going to put Ole Miss not being good on the receivers? Your comments lead me to believe you’re a casual football fan. There’s nothing wrong with, but if that’s the case you have no business discussing the draft. Not one of your claims or assertions were backed by anything resembling a reasonable argument, which shows your own lack of knowledge and understanding.

20 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Who did your mother take in round one ?

My Mom passed 6 years ago.......   :(

MOM says two words!

Pass Rush!!

I'm so sorry for your loss.     Believe it or not,  the pain will ease a little over time...     it's different for everyone,  but you you'll better deal with it in time....      Promise....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

MOM says two words!

Pass Rush!!

I'm so sorry for your loss.     Believe it or not,  the pain will ease a little over time...     it's different for everyone,  but you you'll better deal with it in time....      Promise....

And... your Momma was RIGHT!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 2:05 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Disappointed?     I'll be HUGELY disappointed.    It would be the most un-Ballard like thing he's done since taking over.    The trend is away from first round receivers.    I'll be doing a thread on this soon.     Maybe this weekend?

Don't lose a minutes sleep over mock drafts.    Most have no idea what they're talking about.  I see one sharp poster calling them guesses!    Give that man a Cigar!   

Everyone and their mother does a mock draft these days.    They're internet click bait.   They're fun to read.    So everyone does them.

Field and Stream does a mock draft.     Car and Drive puts out a mock draft.      Heck, my mother, who died nearly 30 years ago, does a mock draft!    (But mom's are better than most!)

There are only a handful of mocks to play close attention to. 

There will be plenty of good information out there the next few months.    Don't get too worked up on the mocks.    That will only drive you crazy....   and for no good reason!

Stay Strong!!

Lots of players on a football team...and they all play positions that get drafted in the first round.

18 hours ago, chad72 said:

If Wilson is the BPA on Ballard's board, then draft him.

But I wonder about his positional value.  I think they are set with Leonard & Walker.  The 3rd linebacker would be off the field as soon as the offense goes to 3 wides so would you draft a guy in round 1 who might not play 50% to 60% of the defensive snaps?  

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Outside of TY, we may have the worst group of WR's in the league. And you prefer we ignore improving that group with any of the first 3 picks? I have to hope we don't go that route. 

Yes.  Don't forget, there's also Free Agency

23 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

If Wilson is the BPA on Ballard's board, then draft him.

But I wonder about his positional value.  I think they are set with Leonard & Walker.  The 3rd linebacker would be off the field as soon as the offense goes to 3 wides so would you draft a guy in round 1 who might not play 50% to 60% of the defensive snaps?  

Against KC you saw Walker on the bench with "can't cover" Geathers at LB on several passing downs.
And Moore back at cover 2 safety for those that missed that too.
 As the poster says, only if Wilson is there on Ballard's board. No sense arguing that point. I would say he Won't be there if he isn't considered as a Superior passing down LB to Walker. Period.
 And i would say, if there is a longer, faster LB that Ballard and his group loves, they won't hesitate to get him to upgrade our ability to play tough man to man at times.
 I think that is going to be Extremely high on their upgrade want list. JMO
 Pick 34 if they see their guy, trading up from 59 would make big sense too if this is true, and of course moving up from 90 to upgrade our LB position in passing downs.

Walker could play where Adams and whatever **** did on many snaps, and make us a better, deeper team at the LB position.

11 hours ago, shastamasta said:

EXP doesn't accout for Schedule. We had ridiculously easy schedule defensively (as in bad offenses) and about middle of the pack offensively.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Finball said:

EXP doesn't accout for Schedule. We had ridiculously easy schedule defensively (as in bad offenses) and about middle of the pack offensively.

That definitely won't be the case the upcoming season with road games at Tampa Bay, Saints, Chargers, Chiefs and Steelers. :) 

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Against KC you saw Walker on the bench with "can't cover" Geathers at LB on several passing downs.
And Moore back at cover 2 safety for those that missed that too.
 As the poster says, only if Wilson is there on Ballard's board. No sense arguing that point. I would say he Won't be there if he isn't considered as a Superior passing down LB to Walker. Period.
 And i would say, if there is a longer, faster LB that Ballard and his group loves, they won't hesitate to get him to upgrade our ability to play tough man to man at times.
 I think that is going to be Extremely high on their upgrade want list. JMO
 Pick 34 if they see their guy, trading up from 59 would make big sense too if this is true, and of course moving up from 90 to upgrade our LB position in passing downs.

Walker could play where Adams and whatever **** did on many snaps, and make us a better, deeper team at the LB position.

If down for Wilson at 26 or 34. A LB that can cover TEs is a must. Leonard can cover well but he’s not asked to in his current role. At least not in man. We need someone who can match up in man coverage on a TE. Another SS wouldn’t hurt either.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:34 PM, MikeCurtis said:

If you would have an equally rated, pass rusher to a equally rated WR....... (If thats possible)

I would go DL based on the stated bigger need... AND the "build the lines FIRST" MANTRA from CB

In this draft their appears to be 8-9 Tier 1 DL

In this draft their appears to be 1-2 Tier 1 WR

If ALL of the Tier 1 DL is gone, I am going BPA of OT, Safety, or LB

I personally dont think a WR is warrented in round 1

There also some very decent WRs that would (should be) available in round 2 

Lil Jorden Humphreys

Hakeem Butler

Deebo Samuel

JJ Arcega

Riley Ridley

Marquise Brown

ANY of these 6 would step up our team at WR. 

There will be one or two of this group that MIGHT be there with our late 2nd rounder

I'd ask you two questions...

Did our O do enough to win the game vs KC? Clearly not. And KC is the 9th worst D in ppg.

Did our D do enough to win the game vs KC? We held KC to 4.3 pts under their average.

In short, 31-13 defeat by the best offense in the NFL, screams our O sucked much more than the D. KC was able to key on TY and limited him to 60 yards because we had no serious #2 WR. And we pass to set up the run. Which is why we didn't break 100 yards rushing.

In short, I'd love to have both a stud WR and a stud rushing DL. But, I absolutely believe that we will get more point differential benefit from a stud WR. 

51 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'd ask you two questions...

Did our O do enough to win the game vs KC? Clearly not. And KC is the 9th worst D in ppg.

Did our D do enough to win the game vs KC? We held KC to 4.3 pts under their average.

In short, 31-13 defeat by the best offense in the NFL, screams our O sucked much more than the D. KC was able to key on TY and limited him to 60 yards because we had no serious #2 WR. And we pass to set up the run. Which is why we didn't break 100 yards rushing.

In short, I'd love to have both a stud WR and a stud rushing DL. But, I absolutely believe that we will get more point differential benefit from a stud WR. 

I feel like I am in front of a bright light with a Gestapo agent......

."Vee have WAYS of making you TALK"

First off.......  ONE game does not a season make

My thoughts come from the NYG game as well as others

And the ONE game, there was PLENTY more wrong with this team than the simple two questions you pose

But I will try to answer your questions

Did our O do enough.......  NEIN!

Was there a good game called by coaching staff - NEIN!

WHY in the World would we try to pass first, when the Chiefs are the WEAKEST against the run??????. When we DID run, we had some movement... it was too late

WHY do we not run some screens in this offense???/ 

Its the best options against a hard charging DL.

WHY did we not have any roll outs called?

We were getting crazy pressure up the middle.........  why not ADJUST???

Did Andrew have even an AVERAGE day - NEIN!

- He was out of sorts, not at his best....... His passes just werent accurate

- This was one of his worst games. having a stud WR isnt going to fix that.

I dont know if you have been watching, but Inman HAS been getting separation......

but not in KC

Did our OL have its worst game in past 10 games - JA!

Did the drops hurt this team - JA!

Did the Chiefs call the right defense - JA!

Would a superstar WR (I dont see one in this draft) make a difference in the KC game?  I dont think so. There was TOO MUCH GOING WRONG

Not if Andrew is on his back, and when he does through, he is behind the reciever

Question 2

Did our defense do enough to win the game?

Interesting question. I thought our defense, in the second half did better than the offense

But.......

No matter how you slice it.........  Mahomes had all day to throw

If we were in a dome...... the scope would have been a landslide.... to the Chiefs

I would ask you to go watch the Giants game...... No pressure, and the Giants almost beat us,

at home! 

Did you watch the last 4-5 games?....... Our BEST, most consistent pass rusher was our TINY CB, coming off the edge........

This is a short term "fix" to a HUGE problem......  NO PASS RUSH  

I want a playoff winning team....... In the playoffs, you will see more accurate passers. Without any sort of pass rush, the good teams WILL beat us

I get your passion for WR.......  I want one too........  But there is NO Julio Jones, No Megatron, No Randy Moss level picks.........  Picks in the 30-40s are very similar to WRs picked in late round 1

CB CONTINUES to say "WE NEED PASS RUSH!" and  "Build the lines"

The whole 'The FANS want a WR" comment on 1070, to me lowers the odds of a WR in round 1

In my recollection of being a football fan, I have NEVER seen general manager make the choice of the fans, when they comment in that way

I think it was Polian, who said if you listen to what the fans want you will be sitting with them.........  

I think he knows what he wants to do, and will do it

Im not going to lose sleep if he does go WR, but I truly hope we fix the gaping problem that is our pass rush....

Peace and love

Deano

And........ I tried to add.......

One of the biggest reason that the Chiefs lost the very next week, was an actual pass rush.

And...... Brady was in top form........ an AMAZING stud WR, cannot be found on the Patriots

He has a few good ones, but no stud

Please pass rush........

20 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

And the ONE game, there was PLENTY more wrong with this team than the simple two questions you pose

WHY in the World would we try to pass first, when the Chiefs are the WEAKEST against the run??????. When we DID run, we had some movement... it was too late

I dont know if you have been watching, but Inman HAS been getting separation......

but not in KC

Would a superstar WR (I dont see one in this draft) make a difference in the KC game?  I dont think so. There was TOO MUCH GOING WRONG

Not if Andrew is on his back, and when he does through, he is behind the reciever

Question 2

Interesting question. I thought our defense, in the second half did better than the offense

But.......

If we were in a dome...... the scope would have been a landslide.... to the Chiefs

I would ask you to go watch the Giants game...... No pressure, and the Giants almost beat us,

at home! 

Did you watch the last 4-5 games?....... Our BEST, most consistent pass rusher was our TINY CB, coming off the edge........

I want a playoff winning team....... In the playoffs, you will see more accurate passers. Without any sort of pass rush, the good teams WILL beat us

I get your passion for WR.......  I want one too........  But there is NO Julio Jones, No Megatron, No Randy Moss level picks.........  Picks in the 30-40s are very similar to WRs picked in late round 1

The whole 'The FANS want a WR" comment on 1070, to me lowers the odds of a WR in round 1

In my recollection of being a football fan, I have NEVER seen general manager make the choice of the fans, when they comment in that way

I think it was Polian, who said if you listen to what the fans want you will be sitting with them.........  

Im not going to lose sleep if he does go WR, but I truly hope we fix the gaping problem that is our pass rush....

Peace and love

Deano

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but agree to disagree on WR value. And while one game doesn't make a season, one game sure can end it. And it did.

I watched the NYG game and my take is that our O sucked in the first half, 3 and outs in our first two drives, and the 3rd was an INT.... We kept our D on the field way too much during that time. We settled down and flipped it in the second half. 

Back to WR. We don't need a megatron type WR. We do need a #2 who can do better than a #99 ranking (WR Yards). You can likely find that with one of the two first picks.

We were top 10 D (ppg) for the year, and a lot better in the second half (top 3) of the season. Only 3.36pts on average from the #1 D (Bears). That said, I absolutely want a rush DL in the first two picks.

Let's hope we both get want we want :-)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

One of the biggest reason that the Chiefs lost the very next week, was an actual pass rush.

And...... Brady was in top form........ an AMAZING stud WR, cannot be found on the Patriots

Please pass rush........

brady is among the best QBs ever, not just anyone can get production out of guys like he does.  a lot of it comes from the way they run their offense too, TB is better at that than luck tbh(and everyone else)

i doubt many people will be mad if we get a great defensive line man though 

17 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Please pass rush........

you could also flip that story. KC, who led the league in sacks, couldn't get to Brady at all.... zero times. NE winning had more to do with Brady putting up near 350 passing yards, and the RBs running for 175ish.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Please pass rush........

Well let’s hope lawerence or Ford don’t get tagged. Most of the elite pass rushers will be gone by 26th. Yes we could take another upside player that will take time to develope (Turay). But at some point you just got to pay the price to fix the problem. So if one of the Dline difference makers slip to the teens, just pay up to move up. I trust Ballard and his talent evaluation. But if he sees a pass rusher that they’ve got ranked high on the board and know that player won’t make it to their pick, just pay up. Im just not sure what will be left of the Dline talent by our pick.

46 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Well let’s hope lawerence or Ford don’t get tagged. Most of the elite pass rushers will be gone by 26th. Yes we could take another upside player that will take time to develope (Turay). But at some point you just got to pay the price to fix the problem. So if one of the Dline difference makers slip to the teens, just pay up to move up. I trust Ballard and his talent evaluation. But if he sees a pass rusher that they’ve got ranked high on the board and know that player won’t make it to their pick, just pay up. Im just not sure what will be left of the Dline talent by our pick.

You may be right!

It has been said that CB tried to move back up to get Chubb

There are some very good DEs (or pass rush DTs) that should be available in the teens

I would say that to get the RIGHT pass rusher, we MAY have to offer one of the seconds

(I dont want to, and hope we take a strong swing at FA DEs....... Flowers would be an immediate improvement)

But I also think that we should still find a decent step up at 26....... this is a deep draft

We need to sign Inman and hope Cain can contribute. With that said I think we go with a WR in 2nd or 3rd round.  A receiving corps that has Hilton, Inman, Cain and a solid play making 2nd rounder should make Luck happy. We can have Pascal, Rogers and Fountain fight it out for a roster slot.

Most of the focus  in this draft should be on defense. Defense showed great promise last year but we need to add some playmakers who can help us become a a top 5 defense. We need to  improve pass rush  and we need another 1-2 defensive backs. Would also like to add another LB. I would hope we get an impact D-lineman in round 1 and draft a WR and DB in second round. I think we might look at an O-lineman in 3rd to 5th rounds  to add more depth.

We still have Pascal and Rogers  who showed some improvement as season progressed. Fountain is raw - not sure how long it would take or whether he develops into a pro receiver.  I am a bit concerned about Doyle being able to stay healthy so I would not be surprised if we add a tight end. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

WHY did we not have any roll outs called?

We were getting crazy pressure up the middle.........  why not ADJUST???

- This was one of his worst games. having a stud WR isnt going to fix that.

but not in KC

Question 2

But.......

at home! 

Peace and love

Deano

Let me try to say this in a somewhat shorter way than you did:  Damn straight! Great post. 

14 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Lots of players on a football team...and they all play positions that get drafted in the first round.

Huh?

Sorry,  but you lost me.    Not sure what point you're trying to make.

I'm getting much less sleep these days,  perhaps your point is obvious,  but it's not to me.

Need your help here.....