Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The best decade of QBs

CR91

So this is a vote in which decade had the best group of QBs. These are my top three and you can argue my top three if you disagree

60s- Unitas, Dawson, Starr

70s- Staubach, Bradshaw, Stabler

80s- Montana, Marino, Elway

90s- Favre, Young, Aikman

00s- Manning, Brady, Brees

10s- Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Luck

I know Rodgers and Big ben were drafted in 05 and 04, but they didnt really hit their strive til the 2010s and yes Lucks inclusion is biased, but its hard to name me a QB that has done so much with so little since hes entered the league.

80's for me.  

Marino was amazing.  Montana may be the best ever.   Steve Young is one of my all time favorites.  Moon, Fouts, Kosar, Cunningham and Simms were pretty good too.  

I don't really consider the 2000's and past as much.   With the rules changes, it makes it hard to compare. 

37 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

What about the 1910's?

Harvy "crazy-legs" Hodkins

Baxter Barkley

Elmer Atkins

Those guys were the greatest I'll never forget them! There'll never be another crazy-legs...

Sorry. Im not familar of the yellow jackets and the yankees haha

00's = Brady, Manning, and Brees combined for 5 SB wins from 2000-2009 seasons and Manning had the most Regular Season wins of any QB in NFL history during that decade. Also all 3 put up video game stats during that decade. I will roll with them. Manning's 2004 Season, Brady's 2007 Season, and Brees 2008 Season = unreal statistically. Brady SB Champ = 2001, 2003, 2004. Manning SB Champ = 2006. Brees = SB Champ 2009.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MPStack said:

I'd pick 80s- Montana, Marino, Elway.

You could also add a few more QBs to the mix (Fouts, Moon) that started the transition, from running the football to passing more frequently.

Jim Kelly,   Jim Plunkett,  Phil Sims, 

• Thanks 1

I have to go with the 2000s. Brady, Manning, and Brees hold up pretty well against anyone. They will probably end up being 1st-2nd-3rd (in whatever order) all-time in the most meaningful volume stats, and they'll have at least 14 SB appearances (and at least 8 rings) among the three of them.

Of course, it's difficult to do this across different eras. You have to wonder what guys like Marino would have been capable of in the modern game. 

On 1/27/2019 at 1:36 PM, CR91 said:

So this is a vote in which decade had the best group of QBs. These are my top three and you can argue my top three if you disagree

60s- Unitas, Dawson, Starr

70s- Staubach, Bradshaw, Stabler

80s- Montana, Marino, Elway

90s- Favre, Young, Aikman

00s- Manning, Brady, Brees

10s- Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Luck

I know Rodgers and Big ben were drafted in 05 and 04, but they didnt really hit their strive til the 2010s and yes Lucks inclusion is biased, but its hard to name me a QB that has done so much with so little since hes entered the league.

I’d put Big Ben in the ‘00 his rookie year they only lost 2 games.. and were perennial powerhouses.. and I think Brady,Peyton, and Big Ben  been in every SB FOR THE AFC since 2001 except for 2 or 3 times?

but the greatest ERA for QBs is for me is 80’s.. as others have mentioned a lot of great QBs outside of the ones you mentioned.