Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is defense the biggest need or offense?

Stephen

Chiefs game aside, the defense is the issue. 

Frankly, our offense looked the same as it has in just about every playoff game we lose.  Ever since Manning, we don't seem to lose playoff game shoot outs where the offense scores a lot of points, but rather they look fairly inept.  To take that extra step, the offense needs two more play makers, IMO.  

• Like 4

It's close. We need a no1 WR and some O-Line depth on offense, but we need a no1 CB and at least 2 pass rushers on defense. I'd say the defense is slightly more of a need, but the biggest need at any position is a no1 WR. If someone falls at WR in the draft, we have to take them with our 1st or one of our 2nd rounders IMO. I'd also sign someone like Adam Humphries in FA. Luckily, this is a very good defensive class.

They need more players on both sides of the ball.

But if you listen to Ballard's interview on Friday, he thinks the answer to the question posed here is defense.

A few paraphrases from what I heard.

*  They can go forward with the oline as is.  He does want more depth

*  They do need a WR who can win against single coverage if TY is doubled.  Maybe that player is Cain.

*  Said the d'line played good this.  The way he said good indicated to me they could have played better.

*  Said a couple of times they just need more talent on the defense

*  Said they need a pass rusher and will keep trying to un-earth one from FA or the draft.

Seems clear he thinks the defense needs to be better and that d line is at the top of that list 

• Like 9

I think it is a mistake to make this an either / or choice. In my world, we call this an optimization problem. The question relates to what changes, if any, the Colts should make in the structure of the team. This is a tricky question. To start, an "as is" analysis has to be performed re: how we did given all the teams we have competed against.  In the near future, what are the kinds of changes those other teams will probably make - which leads us to the "should be" analysis. There are a lot of "what-ifs" to consider.

It is possible that the Colts are only a couple of players short of being a SB contender. Then again, maybe not. Teams used to use "gut feelings" in making these decisions. Some teams have found better ways in their decision making process not solely based on insight and intuition.

• Thanks 1

Defense. If we draft a wide receiver they probably won’t make a impact for a couple of years. Getting Doyle back will help the offense a ton next year. Plus if we get Inman back he will have a entire off season to work with a Luck. Yes the the offense looked bad but we aren’t as bad as we looked in KC. It was just one of those games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Defense. If we draft a wide receiver they probably won’t make a impact for a couple of years. Getting Doyle back will help the offense a ton next year. Plus if we get Inman back he will have a entire off season to work with a Luck. Yes the the offense looked bad but we aren’t as bad as we looked in KC. It was just one of those games.

I've seen the bolded said so many times on here and I have no idea why it is accepted as fact.  Rookies at all positions have taken time to get their sea legs under them and others in all positions have flourished immediately.  Plus there will be football after 2019.  

It's Defense and it's not close IMO. If I am Ballard I load up on a bunch of D.Lineman picks and Pass Rushers. We can stay fresh and interchange D.Lineman all game and wear teams down with that concept. Also he may nail a great Pass Rusher in the process. Have to put pressure on QB's like Brady and Mahomes otherwise they will eat our lunch.

On Offense we just need 1 more playmaker at WR to go with TY, if we get the right one that alone will make a world of difference. Our O.Line is now solid and Luck is healthy too, Doyle will be back and we have Ebron so our TE position is really solid. It would be nice to have a power back but Mack and Hines are pretty good backs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

We didn't score much versus chiefs but we also didn't do a good job of shutting  down their offense. So would going defense heavy or offense  in the draft be better.

They need to improve on both sides of the ball.  Since this seems to be a better draft on the defensive side of the ball, I could see the Colts drafting more defensive players.  However, that doesn't mean they will neglect the offensive side, there are good prospects that could help the Oline and WR positions.

I believe everything starts at the line of scrimmage. Thank goodness, so does Ballard. If he stays true to is core beliefs, the D-line will get 2 drafted additions and the o-line will get one. If the right players are there, I can see the first 3 picks addressing the LOS. 

I also believe Tom Rathman will get his guy this draft. A true FB/HB. Rathman helped make the 49'ers offense multi-dimensional. He could pass block, run block, power rush, pick up short yardage and catch out of the backfield. If that happens, I can see Rathman-V2 & Mack in the backfield with Hines in the slot on a regular basis. There are a lot of running/passing options that can be created from that group.

TY, Inman & Cain (who I believe is a legit #2) will be the 3 primary WR's. Rogers & Grant are JAGS and will be moved on, leaving a PR/KR position open for a day 2 pick. (Fountain will most likely start to take shape and grab the #5 spot).

I also see Jacoby Brissett being traded for a #2. This will create a need for a backup QB. I believe it will be a FA vet.

I believe Eberflus wants to play both man coverage & zone, so he'll need the CB's, Safeties & LB'ers to do it.

With those thoughts...

I see 3 specific offensive players; RT, FB, WR/KR/PR

On defense I see 7 specific players; DE, DT, CB, CB, Hybrid Safety, SS & LB

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We need another playmaker on offense and another difference maker on defense.  Ballard has the cash, FA and trades at his disposal to get those players.  If he can find a way to get both before the draft we will be one of the clear favorites for the SB.  If he doesn't and just relies on the draft and a few lower level tier FA's then I think it's a close but no cigar year for the Colts and Luck.  

6 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I believe everything starts at the line of scrimmage. Thank goodness, so does Ballard. If he stays true to is core beliefs, the D-line will get 2 drafted additions and the o-line will get one. If the right players are there, I can see the first 3 picks addressing the LOS. 

I also believe Tom Rathman will get his guy this draft. A true FB/HB. Rathman helped make the 49'ers offense multi-dimensional. He could pass block, run block, power rush, pick up short yardage and catch out of the backfield. If that happens, I can see Rathman-V2 & Mack in the backfield with Hines in the slot on a regular basis. There are a lot of running/passing options that can be created from that group.

TY, Inman & Cain (who I believe is a legit #2) will be the 3 primary WR's. Rogers & Grant are JAGS and will be moved on, leaving a PR/KR position open for a day 2 pick. (Fountain will most likely start to take shape and grab the #5 spot).

I also see Jacoby Brissett being traded for a #2. This will create a need for a backup QB. I believe it will be a FA vet.

I believe Eberflus wants to play both man coverage & zone, so he'll need the CB's, Safeties & LB'ers to do it.

With those thoughts...

I agree with your assessment of our needs.  How Ballard uses FA and the off season to address them will be fun to watch.  I have always liked Juwan James, the RT of the Dolphins, and I would like to see us pick him up this year in FA and move Smith back to RG.  I like Josh Jacobs to be that FB/RB option in the draft.  I'm not confident he will fall into the 2nd. rd. but you never know.  I see him as a Rathman type of back.  Hopefully Ballard pulls off that Jacoby trade to help us along as well.   I am also hoping Ballard gets aggressive this off season and a little luck along the way wouldn't hurt either. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

The top 3 picks need to be  BPA.   Leaning mostly towards D if the prospects are graded closely.    And while I am not a Mack fan.  We do not need a RB. Nor do we need a cover corner 

You're not a fan of Mack, but then state the colts don't need a rb.  That doesn't seem to make sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CoachLite said:

It is possible that the Colts are only a couple of players short of being a SB contender. Then again, maybe not. Teams used to use "gut feelings" in making these decisions. Some teams have found better ways in their decision making process not solely based on insight and intuition.

we could be two players away if we are talking about a very good edge rusher and WR.  realistically we will probably need more depth especially on defense to weather injuries.  oline injuries happen to pretty much every team, every year and we dont have much behind our starting tackles either

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I've seen the bolded said so many times on here and I have no idea why it is accepted as fact.  Rookies at all positions have taken time to get their sea legs under them and others in all positions have flourished immediately.  Plus there will be football after 2019.  

Because it does take a couple of years for a WR to learn to play in the NFL.  They will make a play once in a while just from their talent but not on a consistent bases.

4 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I think it is a mistake to make this an either / or choice. In my world, we call this an optimization problem. The question relates to what changes, if any, the Colts should make in the structure of the team. This is a tricky question. To start, an "as is" analysis has to be performed re: how we did given all the teams we have competed against.  In the near future, what are the kinds of changes those other teams will probably make - which leads us to the "should be" analysis. There are a lot of "what-ifs" to consider.

A whole lotta words and nothing said really.

Are you in politics?

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

You're not a fan of Mack, but then state the colts don't need a rb.  That doesn't seem to make sense.

One of the other things Ballard said was that he was happy with the RBs.  Of course that doesn’t mean he’ll stick with them, time will tell.  I really don’t think Bell is even an option from what he said about high paid FAs and the locker room.  

He also talked about Williams and how they tried to get him several times.  I won’t be surprised if the four are our RBs this season and that Williams has the Turbin role.  

2 hours ago, Douzer said:

I was going to type something but saw yours. since I mostly agree, I'll just add a thought here and there. 

To  the bolded above - agree.  but maybe not 1st 3 picks.  Maybe close to it, it just depends on players available.  I'd really like to get a dominating 3 Technique, though.

Interesting item.

I hope Cain lives up to his fan hype.  We've had so many over the years that did not.  I will not list them here. Cain will need to show it against others teams best players.

Maybe Ballard does let him go for a #2... not sure.  What vet FA QB is worth the roster spot?

I see mostly zone with critical time/situational man to man scheme where the DB has to win.  That means pass rush has to be present, which goes to the top item up above.  :-)

With those thoughts...

We have 8 picks, and possibly a 4th comp pick for losing Moncrief.  So does Ballard trade back to get an extra pick?  Or does Frank Gore net us a 7th round comp pick too?

EDIT: I see it, another #2 for Brissett (which I'm not sure happens, though).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Because it does take a couple of years for a WR to learn to play in the NFL.  They will make a play once in a while just from their talent but not on a consistent bases.

That is a broad statement that I simply don't think is factual.  There are examples every years of WR's coming in and contributing right away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's close. We need a no1 WR and some O-Line depth on offense, but we need a no1 CB and at least 2 pass rushers on defense. I'd say the defense is slightly more of a need, but the biggest need at any position is a no1 WR. If someone falls at WR in the draft, we have to take them with our 1st or one of our 2nd rounders IMO. I'd also sign someone like Adam Humphries in FA. Luckily, this is a very good defensive class.

For the most part I like your posts but...

You gotta get off the TY isnt a no 1 receiver triangle. We need a solid no 2 WR and some depth. TY is top 10 WR material.  He is not a number 2 wr.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

That is a broad statement that I simply don't think is factual.  There are examples every years of WR's coming in and contributing right away.

Contributing, sure.  But it’s pretty common for them to take a year to excel.  Guys like Moss and Megatron are rare.  We’re any of the top 20 WRs rookies?  (Wasn’t a great WR class, so that’s not a good example)

But we’re not looking for a #1, just someone that can win a one on one when T.Y. and Ebron are doubled, like Ballard said.  There are several in this draft that can do that.  Maybe Cain too, but I wouldn’t count on him.  

• Like 1

We need 4 stud players either through the draft or free agency.

Pass Rush LB . Another maniac type player rushing the quarterback

WR, if Cain works out even better

CB , we've done well with average cornerbacks Wilson is coming along but it's time to either draft or bring in a number 1

Upgrade on defensive tackle

If we can find those players playing at above-average level things will change dramatically. We need someone to also be a good spy against the run and quarterback scrambles.

I know this is a tall task but we have the draft picks and we have free agency and money to spend

5 hours ago, jskinnz said:

It was a "Polian'ism"... He would always say that it takes WR's take 2-3 years to "fully develop". I think that was his fall back phrase for Reggie Wayne when it took him a couple years to come around... 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

We need 4 stud players either through the draft or free agency.

Pass Rush LB . Another maniac type player rushing the quarterback

WR, if Cain works out even better

CB , we've done well with average cornerbacks Wilson is coming along but it's time to either draft or bring in a number 1

Upgrade on defensive tackle

If we can find those players playing at above-average level things will change dramatically. We need someone to also be a good spy against the run and quarterback scrambles.

I know this is a tall task but we have the draft picks and we have free agency and money to spend

CB position will be interesting.
Desir graded as a Quality CB and proved it against some of the best WR.
Thankfully we are in a Superior position to upgrade out team.
And 4 is an easy number in the draft only, so...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Just because I’m not a fan doesn’t mean you need to use a draft pick.    I would much rather see Hines in the backfield and Wilkins is fine.  

Not a Mack fan but the RB by committee is working 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Waaaaaa! And far more Examples that struggle and never quite pan out. Especially the #1 and 2 type. The same is true for pass rushers drafted in RD 1. Even early in rd 1 CORRECT?

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I was going to type something but saw yours. since I mostly agree, I'll just add a thought here and there. 

To  the bolded above - agree.  but maybe not 1st 3 picks.  Maybe close to it, it just depends on players available.  I'd really like to get a dominating 3 Technique, though.

Interesting item.

I hope Cain lives up to his fan hype.  We've had so many over the years that did not.  I will not list them here. Cain will need to show it against others teams best players.

Maybe Ballard does let him go for a #2... not sure.  What vet FA QB is worth the roster spot?

I see mostly zone with critical time/situational man to man scheme where the DB has to win.  That means pass rush has to be present, which goes to the top item up above.  :-)

We have 8 picks, and possibly a 4th comp pick for losing Moncrief.  So does Ballard trade back to get an extra pick?  Or does Frank Gore net us a 7th round comp pick too?

It would be impossible for Caine to live up to the fan hype he receives on this site.  Impossible 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Interesting item.

--We couldn't run the ball in KC. The Patriots did though and controlled the clock 43 minutes to 17. The running game must get better or the team won't get to the top tier.

--I forgot about Marcus Johnson and KJ Brent when I was penciling Fountain in. Johnson, Brent & Pascal for that matter are all better players and will eliminate Fountain. Add Cain to that group and the immediate need for a premium $ WR is not a absolute certainty.

-- Fair question, and I don't know who will break free yet.

--LOS (Pass Rush)

-- I believe we have 11 picks this year. https://www.colts.com/news/how-many-draft-picks-will-the-colts-have-in-2019-20671256

I know Cain is a ? mark, so the organization will tell us what's up when they make a FA move, draft a player, or stand pat with the current group.

I also know the Colts are at the back of the draft rounds now, so it will be tough to fill all these needs from just the draft. Some of these holes I listed will be filled by FA's.

I know the D-line needs pass rushers, inside and out badly, and the right side of the O-line is not good enough yet. KC killed the Colts over there. Those are absolute musts for the team to succeed, and IMHO, higher priorities than any other position groups. Hands Down!