Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl 5 Highlights Colts vs Cowboys

LJpalmbeacher2

1967 team was 11-1-2 and missed the playoffs. Rams went in on a tie breaker. 1968 team was 13-1, 1970 team was 11-2-1. That Super Bowl 5 winning team was on it last legs with the core group. They had one more ride in 1971, but lost to the Dolphins in the AFC Championship game 21-0. It was a really nice run from 1958 to 1971. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

1967 team was 11-1-2 and missed the playoffs. Rams went in on a tie breaker. 1968 team was 13-1, 1970 team was 11-2-1. That Super Bowl 5 winning team was on it last legs with the core group. They had one more ride in 1971, but lost to the Dolphins in the AFC Championship game 21-0. It was a really nice run from 1958 to 1971. 

Wow!!! Only 4 Losses in 3 seasons. Has that record ever been bettered or equaled?

We had a great defense that year and perhaps an even better defense the next year as promising 2nd year DL Billy Newsome replaced DT Billy Ray Smith.  However, with lost to upstart Dolphins the next year in the AFC Championship game, 21-0, having an aged QB Johnny Unitas caught up to us.  If Johnny U was in his prime, who knows.  

Some Trivia notes: 

Billy Newsome (that is how promising he was, he was more of a DE pass rusher but replaced Billy Ray Smith at DT who retired after our SB win.  I remember the defesne was so relaxed and dominating, Newsome and Bubba Smith would sometimes switch in and out at DE/DT, remember Bubba was initially drafted at a DT, then was moved to DE) was traded along with a 4th rounder to New Orleans for the 2nd pick in the draft and QB Bert Jones.

In our Super Bowl win of Dallas 16-13, the turning point was I think in the 2nd quarter, Dallas was up 13-0, they had the ball on our 1 yard line and RB Duane Thomas fumbled and the Colts recovered.  If they had made a TD, it would have been 20-0 in favor of Dallas.  Even coach Tom Landry said, he was not sure of the Colts could have comeback from a 20-0 deficit.  Dallas did not score the remainder of the game, we had a great defense.

Our unsung hero was right DE Roy Hilton, 6-6, 240, he was applying consisted pass rush for his side, opposite All-Pro LDE Bubba Smith. Out 3 LB's was arguably the best in the NFL at the time. 

ROLB Ted Hendricks in the 2nd year, enroute to a Hall of Fame Career, I was dissapointed when we traded him.  I remember Bubba saying in his rookie year after he got the flu and lost weight, before Hendricks was drafted by the Colts, Bubba said he lost so much weight he almost looked like Ted Hendricks.  Interested they became team mates on a great defense, both at 6-7 height, but Bubba at 290-300 lbs, Hendricks at 215 lbs.  

MLB Mile Curtis when from an All-Pro OLB to a Pro-Bowl MLB, he a rough, instinctive, and a winner.

OLB Ray May, similar to Hilton, was solid, athletic converted MLB from Pittsburgh to become a solid OLB for us. He did fill in a few games at MLB when Curtis got hurt and did not miss a beat.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Caffrey said:

We had a great defense that year and perhaps an even better defense the next year as promising 2nd year DL Billy Newsome replaced DT Billy Ray Smith.  However, with lost to upstart Dolphins the next year in the AFC Championship game, 21-0, having an aged QB Johnny Unitas caught up to us.  If Johnny U was in his prime, who knows.  

Some Trivia notes: 

Billy Newsome (that is how promising he was, he was more of a DE pass rusher but replaced Billy Ray Smith at DT who retired after our SB win.  I remember the defesne was so relaxed and dominating, Newsome and Bubba Smith would sometimes switch in and out at DE/DT, remember Bubba was initially drafted at a DT, then was moved to DE) was traded along with a 4th rounder to New Orleans for the 2nd pick in the draft and QB Bert Jones.

In our Super Bowl win of Dallas 16-13, the turning point was I think in the 2nd quarter, Dallas was up 13-0, they had the ball on our 1 yard line and RB Duane Thomas fumbled and the Colts recovered.  If they had made a TD, it would have been 20-0 in favor of Dallas.  Even coach Tom Landry said, he was not sure of the Colts could have comeback from a 20-0 deficit.  Dallas did not score the remainder of the game, we had a great defense.

Our unsung hero was right DE Roy Hilton, 6-6, 240, he was applying consisted pass rush for his side, opposite All-Pro LDE Bubba Smith. Out 3 LB's was arguably the best in the NFL at the time. 

ROLB Ted Hendricks in the 2nd year, enroute to a Hall of Fame Career, I was dissapointed when we traded him.  I remember Bubba saying in his rookie year after he got the flu and lost weight, before Hendricks was drafted by the Colts, Bubba said he lost so much weight he almost looked like Ted Hendricks.  Interested they became team mates on a great defense, both at 6-7 height, but Bubba at 290-300 lbs, Hendricks at 215 lbs.  

MLB Mile Curtis when from an All-Pro OLB to a Pro-Bowl MLB, he a rough, instinctive, and a winner.

OLB Ray May, similar to Hilton, was solid, athletic converted MLB from Pittsburgh to become a solid OLB for us. He did fill in a few games at MLB when Curtis got hurt and did not miss a beat.  

Good post. I recall Duane Thomas was a bull of a running back. The Colts you listed were all greats. Curtis was all time favorite mean guy with a sly smile. He found great joy in hitting people.

That tip ball long TD to TE Mackey was legit.  CB Mel Renfro did tip the ball.  When showed on replay, the spin of ball increased when he tipped it.  Yes, it was just a finger tip but that is all that was needed.  I did not see the recent highlights but I remember seeing this SB specials every year before the SB.  The saying was the Dallas Cowboys Doomsday Defense made Unitas pay dearly for his brief moment of SB glory.  It may have been the Colts next possession when Unitas dropped backed, pocket collapsed and ran up the middle, was actually a pretty good run for a few yards instead of a loss but his was hit hard by MLB Lee Roy Jordon, he knocked Unitas out of the game with bruised ribs, to add insult to injury, Unitas fumbled and Dallas recovered.  

Interestingly, back-up QB Earl Morrall came in, the Super Bowl III flop losing QB and showed a live passing arm to give the Colts offense a lift to help win the game.   I remember reading an comical editorial picture which had Morrall saying to a reporter; "I'd like to thank Lee Roy Jordan for making this possible" or something to this effect. 

Yes, I remember it being remembered as the "Blunder Bowl", I think I remember, they said there was 11 turnovers, did not verify if my memory is correct.  I know we intercepted Cowboy QB at least twice, one by S Rick Volk who returned to the Dallas 3 yard line and RB Tom Nowatzki score for the 1 yd line.  The other int was by MLB Mike Curtis to put use is position for the winning 32 FB by straight on WR/PK rookie Jim O'Brien.  When he made it, I jumped just like he did and not realize until seen it later.  Also All Rookie Dallas RB Duane Thomas fumbled on the 1 yr line as mentioned above.  For out Colts, Mackey scored the fluke tip pass.  We tried a flea flicker that did not flick and RB John Havrilak, and college QB threw a pass instead to the QB behind the line of scrimmage because of the pass rush to him, tried to throw it to TE John Mackey waiting for the pass and WR Eddie Hinton caught it on the run and almost scored but the ball was knocked out of his hand before the goal line and eventually went out the back side of the endzone, for a Dallas touchback, that sucked.  Although Earl Morrall had a good game, he was intercepted once int the end zone, make you wonder if SB III was back again, and we also missed a PAT.  Thus, the Blunder Bowl, but I enjoyed the victory no less.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 8:31 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Wow!!! Only 4 Losses in 3 seasons. Has that record ever been bettered or equaled?

Those records were good  except for the stinker 8-5-1 1969 season where the Colts suffered a hangover from the Super Bowl 3 debacle. Still, a very impressive five year record. 

• Like 1

The 1971 team was 10-4, and was the wild card team. They should have won the division over the Dolphins after beating them at home in week 13, but lost a horrible game 21-17 to the Patriots at Memorial Stadium the last game of the season. After beating the Browns in the playoffs , they were forced to play the AFC Championshio game in Miami, where they lost 21-0.