Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Latest WalterFootball Mock

Latest version has:

1) DK Metcalf WR (Ole Miss)

2-1) Byron Murphy CB (Washington)

2-2) Austin Bryant DE (Clemson)

3) Devin Bush LB (Michigan)

4) Wes Hills RB (Slippery Rock)

I've seen probably 100 mocks, and I don't hate this one. It addresses a lot of needs, and if need areas can also be addressed via FA, I'd be content with this draft. DK Metcalf is my favorite WR in this draft, so if the Colts are gonna go that route in the 1st (I don't particularly think they will) then they may as well get a superstar. I like Byron Murphy a lot, and if he's available there then I'm all for adding that kind of talent at corner. I'd be disappointed to get the worst (my opinion) of the Clemson DL, but he does excel in coverage and has good/great lateral quickness. Would need to refine his skillset in terms of moves to defeat G/T, but he has the requisite length and athleticism to get there. The real steal here is Devin Bush in the 3rd (him making it that far is probably a stretch), he is a little short in the height department but is very good in coverage. He would be able to handle opposing receivers, from TE to slot, with his quickness. He is an absolute bull at 235 lbs and is known for his leadership on the Michigan defense. He'd be a welcome addition in the 3rd. I'm in the camp that says taking a RB somewhere in the middle rounds is needed, but I'd be lying if I said I knew much about this kid from Slippery Rock, in fact I don't think I've heard of Slippery Rock and I'm a CFB enthusiast. We've seen some great RBs come in from smaller schools (Kareem Hunt [Toledo], David Johnson [Northern Iowa]) so who knows, maybe he's a stud in waiting. 

I live in Delaware and went to university of Delaware and follow the program. Wes Hills was a talented rb for the blue hens but was academically ineligible so transferred to Slippery Rock. 

Had a big season there and was just MVP of the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. Also has had a pretty good week at senior bowl. 

20 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

I live in Delaware and went to university of Delaware and follow the program. Wes Hills was a talented rb for the blue hens but was academically ineligible so transferred to Slippery Rock. 

Had a big season there and was just MVP of the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. Also has had a pretty good week at senior bowl. 

You think he's worth a gamble in the 4th? 

57 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Walters never seems to ever explore our need as most mocks don't either. This one I will says comes close.

It's amazing how far off some mocks are, it's like they're just blindly throwing darts with no requisite knowledge of any team's philosophies or needs. This one was closer than most, and addressed 3 of the Colts bigger needs (WR, DE, and CB), so I give him credit for that. I just hope they spend that first rounder on a true difference maker on defense. Don't really care if it's a DE, DT, CB, S, or LB because they need help at all 3 levels. Personally, I'd prefer DE or DT, either a nasty pass rusher, or a 3T. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Latest version has:

1) DK Metcalf WR (Ole Miss)

2-1) Byron Murphy CB (Washington)

2-2) Austin Bryant DE (Clemson)

3) Devin Bush LB (Michigan)

4) Wes Hills RB (Slippery Rock)

I've seen probably 100 mocks, and I don't hate this one. It addresses a lot of needs, and if need areas can also be addressed via FA, I'd be content with this draft. DK Metcalf is my favorite WR in this draft, so if the Colts are gonna go that route in the 1st (I don't particularly think they will) then they may as well get a superstar. I like Byron Murphy a lot, and if he's available there then I'm all for adding that kind of talent at corner. I'd be disappointed to get the worst (my opinion) of the Clemson DL, but he does excel in coverage and has good/great lateral quickness. Would need to refine his skillset in terms of moves to defeat G/T, but he has the requisite length and athleticism to get there. The real steal here is Devin Bush in the 3rd (him making it that far is probably a stretch), he is a little short in the height department but is very good in coverage. He would be able to handle opposing receivers, from TE to slot, with his quickness. He is an absolute bull at 235 lbs and is known for his leadership on the Michigan defense. He'd be a welcome addition in the 3rd. I'm in the camp that says taking a RB somewhere in the middle rounds is needed, but I'd be lying if I said I knew much about this kid from Slippery Rock, in fact I don't think I've heard of Slippery Rock and I'm a CFB enthusiast. We've seen some great RBs come in from smaller schools (Kareem Hunt [Toledo], David Johnson [Northern Iowa]) so who knows, maybe he's a stud in waiting. 

My dad went to Slippery Rock. It is definitely a small school.  There are only two players that have come from SRU: Greg Paterra RB who played in 10 games in the NFL and Brandon Fusco G who has been in the NFL since 2011 and is currently with the Falcons. 

It's that time of year again....

The time when posters share some nonsense from Walter Football.

I swear, I have this vision of Walter being blindfolded and spun around 100 times before throwing a dart at a wall.

Devin Bush?    3rd round?     Dear God!    He's a first round player for everyone else who follows the draft...    espn,  nfl.com,   everyone.     But he has us falling to our pick in the late 80's?     Maybe Walter spends time doing the computer mock simulations for other websites in his spare time?     Those are dreadful too.    Just awful.

Yuk.......

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I swear, I have this vision of Walter being blindfolded and spun around 100 times before throwing a dart at a wall.

Devin Bush?    3rd round?     Dear God!    He's a first round player for everyone else who follows the draft...    espn,  nfl.com,   everyone.     But he has us falling to our pick in the late 80's?     Maybe Walter spends time doing the computer mock simulations for other websites in his spare time?     Those are dreadful too.    Just awful.

Yuk.......

For a second I legit thought there was another LB in this draft named Devin Bush like there's no way for him to be mocked in the THIRD round haha 

In nearly every projection I've seen, this is a dude going top 15. Top 10 even. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yuk.......

Yeah, that's why I said him falling that far is probably a stretch, but not sure what mocks you're looking at that have him anywhere near that high? Bucky Brooks (NFL.com), NBC, CBS, Drafttek, and Draftsite all have him not in the first round...so idk. Maybe you're thinking Devin White? 

Take that back, one of CBS/NBC has him at 15, but none of the others have him inside the 1st round. There's way too many talented players that are gonna go before him, he's a Day 2 guy imo. 

5 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yeah, that's why I said him falling that far is probably a stretch, but not sure what mocks you're looking at that have him anywhere near that high? Bucky Brooks (NFL.com), NBC, CBS, Drafttek, and Draftsite all have him not in the first round...so idk. Maybe you're thinking Devin White? 

Take that back, one of CBS/NBC has him at 15, but none of the others have him inside the 1st round. There's way too many talented players that are gonna go before him, he's a Day 2 guy imo. 

Kiper, McShay and Jeremiah all have him in the first round.   Think Matt Miller does too.

I'm not trying to give the poster a hard time (whehter it was you or anyone else....)     I'm just not a Walter Football fan.

For example,  when they start listing them in order,   they'll project a player will go somewhere between R2 and R4.    Or R3 and R5.     That's a 3-round spread.    That's more than 100 spots.   Almost anyone can guess with some degree of confidence if all you have to do is give yourself a margin of error of +/- 100.      That's not the way professionals do this...

It's the same with the computer generated mock simulations.    They're all terrible.    The guys who do this are NOT draft experts.    They're computer geeks.     They don't even get close to accurate until sometime in April when enough info has leaked out that even they can do an OK job.     But up until then,  the computer mocks are awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Please, post any mock that has him in the top 10. 

You’re actually 100% right about the Devin Bush, Devin white mixup that you said in your reply to NCF.  White is the guy I was thinking of as a top 10/top 15 guy.

But bush is still being dropped in the first round in a lot of mocks.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kiper, McShay and Jeremiah all have him in the first round.   Think Matt Miller does too.

I'm not trying to give the poster a hard time (whehter it was you or anyone else....)     I'm just not a Walter Football fan.

For example,  when they start listing them in order,   they'll project a player will go somewhere between R2 and R4.    Or R3 and R5.     That's a 3-round spread.    That's more than 100 spots.   Almost anyone can guess with some degree of confidence if all you have to do is give yourself a margin of error of +/- 100.      That's not the way professionals do this...

It's the same with the computer generated mock simulations.    They're all terrible.    The guys who do this are NOT draft experts.    They're computer geeks.     They don't even get close to accurate until sometime in April when enough info has leaked out that even they can do an OK job.     But up until then,  the computer mocks are awful.

One thing I've noticed in the couple of weeks that I've posted here is that a lot of the elder statesman (or people that have seemingly been here a while) are pretty brash, arrogant, and rude to new posters, or really to anyone that doesn't share their viewpoints/philosophies. I'm not saying you're like this, but I posted this mock, and bam here some two guys making a mockery out of it, and one guy didn't even know who I was talking about! Lol what? Idk, it seriously makes me not even wanna post here. I don't know why people don't understand that it's a forum, and people aren't going to always agree with your viewpoint, and will oftentimes have views of their own? Also, sometimes new posters aren't going to be as knowledgeable, people are rude on here about that stuff too. (Again, not all you, this is just my experience in the short time I've been here)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

One thing I've noticed in the couple of weeks that I've posted here is that a lot of the elder statesman (or people that have seemingly been here a while) are pretty brash, arrogant, and rude to new posters, or really to anyone that doesn't share their viewpoints/philosophies. I'm not saying you're like this, but I posted this mock, and bam here some two guys making a mockery out of it, and one guy didn't even know who I was talking about! Lol what? Idk, it seriously makes me not even wanna post here. I don't know why people don't understand that it's a forum, and people aren't going to always agree with your viewpoint, and will oftentimes have views of their own? Also, sometimes new posters aren't going to be as knowledgeable, people are rude on here about that stuff too. (Again, not all you, this is just my experience in the short time I've been here)

Don't take it personal.

I been here a bit and still have a problem not treating this forum like we are sitting around in a big room just talking. There are a few members in here that have learned the art of either insulting you or giving the impression they are smarter than you. They keep it within the rules of the forum so they get by with it. I don't seem to fall into that category.

Most have a sense of humor but some don't and it takes a while to learn who falls where.

The ones you have a non stop problem with put on ignore.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

He simply gave his opinion that walterfootball kinda sucks. Don't read anything more into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He simply gave his opinion that walterfootball kinda sucks. Don't read anything more into it.

^^^This I think the comments were directed at Walter Football not the OP.  Certain sites, writers, and media talking heads are considered less than reliable and not taken seriously by most on the board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, esmort said:

^^^This I think the comments were directed at Walter Football not the OP.  Certain sites, writers, and media talking heads are considered less than reliable and not taken seriously by most on the board.

I mean, I get it to a degree, but do people on here really think they're any more reliable than other people who actually do this stuff for a living? It's all just a guessing game, and it seems like people get various levels of bent out of shape and offensive when people don't fall in line with their views. Anyways, I'm probably just looking too much into it. Apologize if I offended anyone, just trying to understand how things go around here. If it's a "let it fly" type atmosphere I'm good at that, just don't respect people being diminutive, pretentious, arrogant, or rude. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I was hoping to have a quiet, uneventful off-season,  but apparently that's not going to happen.

Worst of all,  it's all my fault.

(Note: Long post coming!)

It appears I owe @SouthernIndianaNDFan an apology.   Happy to give it.   I didn't mean to offend you,  but it seems I did.    I really wasn't trying to give you a hard time for the Walter Football post,  but I did anyway.    My bad.     I'm just really not a fan of their work.   And it's been that way for me for years.   This is my 7th year and I've been criticizing them since I arrived.    And I think I've changed the mind of some posters here,  but not as many as I'd like.   

I was trying to disparage WF,  but instead I insulted you and that's entirely my fault.    I used poor choice of words,  and some badly written sentences and paragraphs.   Again,  my head was stuck a little too far up my own rear end.    My bad. 

Trust me,  if you find some people here too arrogant,  then I'm your #1 target.    It starts with me.  

But I have an on-going problem here on this website which I love dearly.    Far too many posters are more interested in their opinions than they are about facts.  Not talking about you,  you're new and I don't know you.

Currently, there's an interesting new thread going on.   What should be the priority of this draft, what do the Colts need more of,  offense or defense?    And everyone is bringing their opinion to the table.    But here's the deal,  RIGHT NOW,   on the front of THIS website,  there's a long interview with Chris Ballard.   And he's talking about the Colts off-season and the draft and free agency and the positions he values and on and on and on.    Ballard is literally answering the questions that people are talking about in this thread,  and most everyone in this thread has not read the story.   Because if they had,  they wouldn't be posting as they are.     If you come to read my posts you'll see that I often write that some posters are far more interested in posting their opinions than they are getting good information from the right people (Ballard, Reich, other coaches)  so they can make good informed opinions.    Drives me nuts,  but it's been that way since I arrived.   I always encourage posters to read what this website offers.

This website puts out a lot of good information.   Chris Ballard is as straightforward a shooter as you will find in sports.   He'll tell you a lot about what he's thinking and why.    So if you can read between the lines he'll tell you he's not signing LeVeon Bell and he's not trading for Antonio Brown.   But that doesn't stop the same couple of dozen posters from saying that's what we should do and they think Ballard SHOULD do it and MIGHT do it.    People believe what they want.   Ballard is telegraphing his intentions and people are not ready to accept it.    Drives me nuts...

I'm sorry I went too far with you.   I'm sorry I inadvertantly insulted you when my only target was WF.     For a guy who spent his entire adult life in the communications business,  I did a poor job of communicating with you.    So sorry.    Hopefully we can start over and go from there....

Sincere apolgoy offered.   I hope it's accepted......   

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was hoping to have a quiet, uneventful off-season,  but apparently that's not going to happen.

Worst of all,  it's all my fault.

(Note: Long post coming!)

It appears I owe @SouthernIndianaNDFan an apology.   Happy to give it.   I didn't mean to offend you,  but it seems I did.    I really wasn't trying to give you a hard time for the Walter Football post,  but I did anyway.    My bad.     I'm just really not a fan of their work.   And it's been that way for me for years.   This is my 7th year and I've been criticizing them since I arrived.    And I think I've changed the mind of some posters here,  but not as many as I'd like.   

I was trying to disparage WF,  but instead I insulted you and that's entirely my fault.    I used poor choice of words,  and some badly written sentences and paragraphs.   Again,  my head was stuck a little too far up my own rear end.    My bad. 

Trust me,  if you find some people here too arrogant,  then I'm your #1 target.    It starts with me.  

But I have an on-going problem here on this website which I love dearly.    Far too many posters are more interested in their opinions than they are about facts.  Not talking about you,  you're new and I don't know you.

Currently, there's an interesting new thread going on.   What should be the priority of this draft, what do the Colts need more of,  offense or defense?    And everyone is bringing their opinion to the table.    But here's the deal,  RIGHT NOW,   on the front of THIS website,  there's a long interview with Chris Ballard.   And he's talking about the Colts off-season and the draft and free agency and the positions he values and on and on and on.    Ballard is literally answering the questions that people are talking about in this thread,  and most everyone in this thread has not read the story.   Because if they had,  they wouldn't be posting as they are.     If you come to read my posts you'll see that I often write that some posters are far more interested in posting their opinions than they are getting good information from the right people (Ballard, Reich, other coaches)  so they can make good informed opinions.    Drives me nuts,  but it's been that way since I arrived.   I always encourage posters to read what this website offers.

This website puts out a lot of good information.   Chris Ballard is as straightforward a shooter as you will find in sports.   He'll tell you a lot about what he's thinking and why.    So if you can read between the lines he'll tell you he's not signing LeVeon Bell and he's not trading for Antonio Brown.   But that doesn't stop the same couple of dozen posters from saying that's what we should do and they think Ballard SHOULD do it and MIGHT do it.    People believe what they want.   Ballard is telegraphing his intentions and people are not ready to accept it.    Drives me nuts...

I'm sorry I went too far with you.   I'm sorry I inadvertantly insulted you when my only target was WF.     For a guy who spent his entire adult life in the communications business,  I did a poor job of communicating with you.    So sorry.    Hopefully we can start over and go from there....

Sincere apolgoy offered.   I hope it's accepted......   

I appreciate that man, and it says a lot for someone to take the time to apologize, and explain themselves. I will admit, I'm on the easily offended side at times, and am big on respect. I try to be as respectful as possible, but can sometimes be driven off my square if someone comes across the wrong way. I know I shouldn't lower my standards/morals because others do, it's just that the sometimes blatantly disrespectful nature of certain individuals irks me. I just wasn't raised like that. 

To your other points, people are losing their minds (professional people doing mocks included) if they think Indy is gonna draft 2 WRs early, or do anything other than patch up that defensive line. Ballard clearly stated that. I will admit, I'm in the camp that thinks adding Lev or AB would help the team from a talent standpoint, but it's never going to happen, so no point in getting into the semantics of it. 

I personally would like them to take a DT, DE, SS, LB, or CB with the first 3 picks in the first 2 rounds, and look to patch up whatever holes there are at WR after that or via FA. There will be quality players left in Round 3 or beyond. I almost guarantee that one of Harmon, both Browns, Harry, Samuel, Metcalf, Humphreys, Renfrow, Isabella, Butler, Arcega-Whiteside, Ridley, Johnson, or Lodge will be available when we pick in the 3rd and beyond. The same can't be said for top-notch defensive players at the various positions I listed.

I really like Deionte Thompson from Alabama, but not sure if he is able to play SS? I love both Sweat and Polite, but think we'd have to trade up to get them. They both likely go top 10 or teens. I think Dre'Mont Jones is gonna be a great player, and could fall to us at 26. Just not sure if he's a true 3T or if he will eventually convert to the edges at the next level. 

Again, thanks for taking the time to apologize. Definitely accepted. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I appreciate that man, and it says a lot for someone to take the time to apologize, and explain themselves. I will admit, I'm on the easily offended side at times, and am big on respect. I try to be as respectful as possible, but can sometimes be driven off my square if someone comes across the wrong way. I know I shouldn't lower my standards/morals because others do, it's just that the sometimes blatantly disrespectful nature of certain individuals irks me. I just wasn't raised like that. 

To your other points, people are losing their minds (professional people doing mocks included) if they think Indy is gonna draft 2 WRs early, or do anything other than patch up that defensive line. Ballard clearly stated that. I will admit, I'm in the camp that thinks adding Lev or AB would help the team from a talent standpoint, but it's never going to happen, so no point in getting into the semantics of it. 

I personally would like them to take a DT, DE, SS, LB, or CB with the first 3 picks in the first 2 rounds, and look to patch up whatever holes there are at WR after that or via FA. There will be quality players left in Round 3 or beyond. I almost guarantee that one of Harmon, both Browns, Harry, Samuel, Metcalf, Humphreys, Renfrow, Isabella, Butler, Arcega-Whiteside, Ridley, Johnson, or Lodge will be available when we pick in the 3rd and beyond. The same can't be said for top-notch defensive players at the various positions I listed.

I really like Deionte Thompson from Alabama, but not sure if he is able to play SS? I love both Sweat and Polite, but think we'd have to trade up to get them. They both likely go top 10 or teens. I think Dre'Mont Jones is gonna be a great player, and could fall to us at 26. Just not sure if he's a true 3T or if he will eventually convert to the edges at the next level. 

Again, thanks for taking the time to apologize. Definitely accepted. 

Classy post.     Appreciate it.

Personally,   I wouldn't change/lower my standards,  but that's a personal choice that only you can know how you feel about doing that....

But I hope you're here for many years to come....    it's a very addictive website!    I spend more time here than I do on all my other websites I visit.     And I don't regret it....   even when a few drive me a little crazy.    By the way,  when I say that,  I also know that I drive some people more than a little nuts.    I try not to,  but I do.    I'm sometimes struggle to fight the right "voice" or "tone."     But I'm trying.....

Enjoy the site,  and a belated welcome!            :colts:

• Like 1

I like WalterFootball's scouting reports.  Over the years, I have found them one of the more accurate of the online reports.

But I don't pay much attention to their mock drafts (I don't pay much attention to any mock drafts) because I don't really care about some websites perceived need of the Colts.

But again, I do like their scouting reports, they usually give good an accurate break downs of strengths and weaknesses and how those relate to the success or failure in the NFL.  I don't like that Walter Football usually puts more stock in measurables (height/weight/speed) than I do and that effects their player rankings but a lot of teams do that as well, so it's not bad, just different than some of the things I look at.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2019 at 2:13 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I mean, I get it to a degree, but do people on here really think they're any more reliable than other people who actually do this stuff for a living? It's all just a guessing game, and it seems like people get various levels of bent out of shape and offensive when people don't fall in line with their views. Anyways, I'm probably just looking too much into it. Apologize if I offended anyone, just trying to understand how things go around here. If it's a "let it fly" type atmosphere I'm good at that, just don't respect people being diminutive, pretentious, arrogant, or rude. 

I like WalterFootball.  

Now this, WF changes their mock every 3 days or so, so it's a pain, and never settled.  And because he constantly changes it, I don't think they reset every analysis with every mock but rather carryover some players.  He'll move a player from one round up to the next because he's heard something about that player, then has to fill in that spot below with stuff that sometimes makes little sense.  I think he cuts and pastes from his 3 day old mock to save time. 

I enjoy his player write ups because beyond the numerical rankings, his writeups are  quite a bit based upon his discussions with actual scouts.  He's not some internet pundit who watches tapes themselves then tries to be an expert and form his mock based upon his own analysis.  He recaps what the scouts tell him.

Also saying WF "sucks" is kind of joke that should be expected.  At least I've come to think of it predictably in that way.  Sometimes, all you have to do is mention WF and somebody will swoop in with nothing more to say than it sucks, like its Pavlovian or something.

Edit I see just above that @Coffeedrinker expressed some of my thoughts better than I did.

• Like 1

Updated version has:

1) Devin Bush DE/OLB Michigan

2-1) Deebo Samuel WR South Carolina 

2-2) Isaiah Buggs DT Alabama

3) Mike Weber RB Ohio State 

I actually like Walter's take again. I guess I'm in the minority, and he may be reaching a little on Bush, but I love landing Deebo with the first in the 2nd, and Buggs can get to the QB from the DT spot. I'm also aboard the train that says continue to take RBs in the middle rounds, because I'm not sold that Marlon Mack can stay healthy, or that he's built for the NFL Lead-Back Role. Aside from a couple great games against bad run defenses, he wasn't what you'd want. (Insert paragraph about how we need to sign Lev Bell) kidding! Lol

I don't trip over Walter Football.  I think it's a good place to go to start learning base level info about the players. Who they are, names, positions, history etc. It's probably the first place I go to start gathering data.  But it's not the only place!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I don't trip over Walter Football.  I think it's a good place to go to start learning base level info about the players. Who they are, names, positions, history etc.

Well, yeah...I mean it's a mock, like all of the rest. Except, Walter actually has direct contact with scouts and a lot of insider info that many of the other "mockers" do not. So, it isn't just randomly generated guessing, like most. 

Yeah, it's a good place to acquire a basis. Game film on NFL Network is also great for a little more firsthand info. YouTube is another good one, tho all it generally shows is a player dominating for 3-5 minutes, which can easily skew your opinion of a player. It's good to have multiple levels of information, and make an educated decision from there, most people just go off of what they see in mocks, or what they hear others saying. 

14 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I like Allen, but would you be comfortable using the 1st on him, or getting him somewhere in the 2nd? I'd be happy if they landed him with the Jets pick. 

I'd use our first on him depending on who else is around, this DL draft group is great if someone like Brown or Simmons slips to us I'd jump all over it. But if the draft was right now and we got him I'd be happy. But with how strong this class in on D I could see him sliding to the top of round 2 and that would be great.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ty4atd said:

I'd use our first on him depending on who else is around, this DL draft group is great if someone like Brown or Simmons slips to us I'd jump all over it. But if the draft was right now and we got him I'd be happy. But with how strong this class in on D I could see him sliding to the top of round 2 and that would be great.

I agree. There should be a couple guys that may make it to them at 26. Brian Burns, Jaylon Ferguson, Charles Omenihu, and Oshane Ximenes are all pretty likely available with our Jets pick in the 2nd, and Montez Sweat, Dexter Lawrence, Jachai Polite, and Dre'mont Jones could potentially fall to us in the first. I'm all for them going dline with the first couple, get an edge guy and a 3T, or at worst a 1T that can occasionally get to the QB. 

• Like 1

I'd feel much better about going D with the first three picks if the Colts grab a quality WR in free agency. The WR position just has to get better. Going the FA route to get TY's new running mate allows them to wait until late Day 2 or so to draft a WR. 

We need upgrades to the interior pass rush, edge pass rush, and "possession" WR (hopefully with YAC ability).

I think any mock draft that doesn't substantially address those positions with the first three picks is pretty far off.  And in what order those players are chosen doesn't really matter, as long as the value is there.  

Of course, there could always be a superior player in another position that falls and you can't get away from, but that is tough to mock since that player falling and being available to the Colts would be dumb luck.

I'm talking in terms of need and not BPA because we are considered a playoff team and we will undoubtedly avoid drafting certain positions in the first two rounds where we have a nice player starting and under contract.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:08 PM, HarryTheCat said:

I'd love to have Metcalf, but I don't think he'll still be on the board at 1-26. I've seen some pundits' mocks that have him in or near the Top 10. Even so, I'd hate to burn a 1st on a WR -- any WR -- when there are so many other needs on defense that need to be filled. 

THIS.....