Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WISH article: Entertainers address social injustice issues at Super Bowl

Nancy

Personally, keep the sports and "politics" separate.   These people have the $$ to head up some project to promote whatever they are passionate about, but why asking others to do what they are wanting?  Like they are saying Maroon 5 should pull out of the Superbowl halftime show.  Your thoughts! 

https://www.wishtv.com/national/entertainers-address-social-injustice-issues-at-super-bowl/1727200517

• Like 1

Maybe I'm misinterpreting here, but I don't see anything about a "new wave" of protests.  This is the same stuff as before.  Kaep has not said they're organizing anything new for the Super Bowl, and the many performers who refused to take part in the Super Bowl because of the Kaep situation did so many days/weeks ago, not recently.  This isn't a new development in any story, but rather the re-hashing of an old story that WISH is bringing up out of nowhere.  If I missed something, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'm going to change the title of this thread because it's misleading and inaccurate

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting here, but I don't see anything about a "new wave" of protests.  This is the same stuff as before.  Kaep has not said they're organizing anything new for the Super Bowl, and the many performers who refused to take part in the Super Bowl because of the Kaep situation did so many days/weeks ago, not recently.  This isn't a new development in any story, but rather the re-hashing of an old story that WISH is bringing up out of nowhere.  If I missed something, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'm going to change the title of this thread because it's misleading and inaccurate

I think you're spot on sir. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

You're right. It says "Former NFL player Colin Kaepernick helped start a wave of protests by kneeling during the national anthem..." but the OP seems to have read that incorrectly and wrote that this is something new. This appears to be a continuation of what Kaepernick started.

I believe that sometimes fans like to get a rise out of others and post controversial stuff. I agree with what you are proposing to do. 

• 21isSuperman changed the title to WISH article: Entertainers address social injustice issues at Super Bowl
47 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think you're spot on sir. 

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You're right. It says "Former NFL player Colin Kaepernick helped start a wave of protests by kneeling during the national anthem..." but the OP seems to have read that incorrectly and wrote that this is something new. This appears to be a continuation of what Kaepernick started.

I believe that sometimes fans like to get a rise out of others and post controversial stuff. I agree with what you are proposing to do. 

Thank you both!  I changed the title

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 2:24 AM, Nancy said:

WISH-tv was just posting the article from another source...it's been all over the internet the past few days trying to pressure the bands to drop out.  You missed the point.  Will this help their cause?

Some of us cannot afford to bite the hand that feeds us to take a stand for social injustice. We do it in our own time and space where we feel we don't put our work and beliefs regarding social injustice at odds with each other. Some of us cannot afford to cut the nose to spite the face. I am not alone in saying that either. 

This does not mean we condone things or turn a blind eye to it. If the bands wish to continue performing, it should be their choice, and that should not be misconstrued with their stance on social injustice either. At least that is my take on it. 

On 1/27/2019 at 2:24 AM, Nancy said:

WISH-tv was just posting the article from another source...it's been all over the internet the past few days trying to pressure the bands to drop out.  You missed the point.  Will this help their cause?

You're wrong. The article hasn't been over the internet over the past few days.  My whole point is this is old news and WISH is trying to make something out of nothing.  This article was posted on Jan 25 and mentions Rihanna, Jay-Z, and Cardi B.  The article also makes Jermaine Dupri a central figure.

Cardi B refused to participate in the Super Bowl on Dec. 21 (https://pagesix.com/2018/12/21/why-cardi-b-wont-perform-at-the-super-bowl-halftime-show/)

Rihanna refused on Oct 18 (https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/10/rihanna-super-bowl-kaepernick/)

Jermaine Dupri responded to Rihanna and Jay-Z's refusal many months ago (https://www.okayplayer.com/music/jermaine-dupri-superbowl-boycott.html).

This is garbage news reporting by two-bit journalists who are trying to make something out of nothing.  They're looking for reactions instead of reporting the facts.  This is a sad excuse for journalism.

• Like 1

• 21isSuperman changed the title to WISH article: Entertainers address social injustice issues at Super Bowl

i dont get why people think the NFL has to address these social injustices so badly.  the NBA has had an anthem policy for a long time now

there is clearly a lot of bad stuff going on,  but this isnt the league of black panthers, its the NFL

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

On the flip side of that coin: this isn't the league of the US military, cancer awareness, or child obesity, it's the NFL.

Yet the NFL is very active in those causes...  :dunno:

There are many double standards and when pointed out like you did, most don't want to acknowledge them. 

(That said, I have no problem with the NFL supporting the military, cancer awareness, and other health-related issues.)

On 1/29/2019 at 11:34 AM, dodsworth said:

This country is softer than warm butter. Everyone needs to cry

about something anymore. :facepalm:

Do you mean that folks are too easily offended by the actions of NFL players, on and off the field?

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 3:48 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

On the flip side of that coin: this isn't the league of the US military, cancer awareness, or child obesity, it's the NFL.

Yet the NFL is very active in those causes...  :dunno:

how does kneeling for an anthem fix anything?

the nba has had an anthem policy for a long time, but now its a big deal for the nfl?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

How does wearing pink cure cancer?

How does a military fly-over before kickoff win a war?

How does NFL Play-60 cure childhood obesity?

It's called awareness.

people that care about social injustices are aware of them, those that didnt care, still dont care 

kapernick made a lot of people mad on both sides, ran his own self out of the league and accomplished little in the process. he did get the league to adopt an anthem policy, which is very similar to the one the nba has had for some time now though

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

people that care about social injustices are aware of them, those that didnt care, still dont care

That's not true.  Speak for yourself.  Don't speak for other people.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

kapernick made a lot of people mad on both sides, ran his own self out of the league and accomplished little in the process.

Pointing out one player is just deflecting from the issue.  You're leaving out players like Chris Long.  He sided with the kneelers, yet went on to win two SBs in a row and is VERY active in social justice and making the world a better place.

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Or MAYBE they were made AWARE of it in some way.  :thinking:

police violence numbers have not gone down since CK made people aware.

you have his supporters who are mad that he cant find a job, along with the original message. then there are the "respect the flag people" getting upset over his actions.  meanwhile nothing changed on the streets

good job kapernick 

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

:facepalm:  You need to reread that article.

First, it doesn't show any numbers before Kap kneeling to compare to, so saying the numbers went up since him kneeling is false.

Second, 223 killings in the first 12 months after Kap kneeling is 18 per month, while 155 in the following 9 months is 17/month, so the numbers actually went down:hat:

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

:facepalm:  You need to reread that article.

First, it doesn't show any numbers before Kap kneeling to compare to, so saying the numbers went up since him kneeling is false.

Second, 223 killings in the first 12 months after Kap kneeling is 18 per month, while 155 in the following 9 months is 17/month, so the numbers actually went down:hat:

they did not go down

last August, one year after Kaep began his protest, the number of black Americans killed by police was 223, which means the tally has increased by 155 in the last nine months. The total current number of black Americans killed by police could actually be higher than 378, as at least 253 people killed by police officers have yet to have their race confirmed. Sigh.

Just now, aaron11 said:

they did not go down

last August, one year after Kaep began his protest, the number of black Americans killed by police was 223, which means the tally has increased by 155 in the last nine months. The total current number of black Americans killed by police could actually be higher than 378, as at least 253 people killed by police officers have yet to have their race confirmed. Sigh.

Ok, this is basic math.

The total CAN'T decrease because the ones that have been killed can't come back to life.  The total can ONLY increase.

The RATE at which they are being killed is going down.  From 18/month to 17/month.

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Ok, this is basic math.

The total CAN'T decrease because the ones that have been killed can't come back to life.  The total can ONLY increase.

The RATE at which they are being killed is going down.  From 18/month to 17/month.

i guess you did read this part.  The total current number of black Americans killed by police could actually be higher than 378, as at least 253 people killed by police officers have yet to have their race confirmed. Sigh.

the kill number has gone up overall, they dont always reveal race though.  

Just now, aaron11 said:

the kill number has gone up overall

You're not getting it.  Of course the total number has gone up, because it can't decrease.  The dead can't come back to life to make that number go down.

The total number of white Americans killed by police has gone up.  The total number of Hispanics killed by police has gone up.  The total number of dogs killed by police has gone up.

The total number will ALWAYS increase because it CAN'T decrease!!!  What CAN decrease is the RATE at which they are being killed.

• Like 1

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You're not getting it.  Of course the total number has gone up, because it can't decrease.  The dead can't come back to life to make that number go down.

The total number of white Americans killed by police has gone up.  The total number of Hispanics killed by police has gone up.  The total number of dogs killed by police has gone up.

The total number will ALWAYS increase because it CAN'T decrease!!!  What CAN decrease is the RATE at which they are being killed.

you keep skipping over this part- the total current number of black Americans killed by police could actually be higher than 378, as at least 253 people killed by police officers have yet to have their race confirmed. 

a large % of that 253 is going to be minorities 

Just now, aaron11 said:

you keep skipping over this part- the total current number of black Americans killed by police could actually be higher than 378, as at least 253 people killed by police officers have yet to have their race confirmed. 

a large % of that 253 is going to be minorities 

I'm just using the confirmed numbers provided in the one article you posted.

"Probable" stats aren't something that can be quantified and analyzed.  Using the concrete numbers in that article, the RATE at which police are killing African-Americans is decreasing (very slightly, but it's a start).

Do you have any other (more concrete, reputable, and recent) sources that show police violence against African-Americans is going up, or that "the streets" haven't changed or gotten worse?

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm just using the confirmed numbers provided in the one article you posted.

"Probable" stats aren't something that can be quantified and analyzed.  Using the concrete numbers in that article, the RATE at which police are killing African-Americans is decreasing (very slightly, but it's a start).

Do you have any other (more concrete, reputable, and recent) sources that show police violence against African-Americans is going up, or that "the streets" haven't changed or gotten worse?

we wont find an exact answer, apparently they do not always reveal race.  this means you cant prove your point either, but you expect me to prove mine

i'll believe raising awareness works when i have a reason to.  for now the overall police violence numbers are mostly the same, and actually up a little.  you can look that up 

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we wont find an exact answer, apparently they do not always reveal race.  this means you cant prove your point either, but you expect me to prove mine

i'll believe raising awareness works when i have a reason to.  for now the overall police violence numbers are mostly the same, and actually up a little.  you can look that up 

The two bolded statements contradict each other.

You're the one that gave the opinion that nothing has changed, or it's gotten worse since Kap took a knee.  Then gave a source that showed the rate has decreased, and actually proved you wrong.

You neglect to provide sources to substantiate your opinion, instead saying we won't find an exact answer.

It's not like there were going to be zero African-Americans killed by police once Kap took a knee.  But he for sure raised awareness about the issue in America.  THAT was my point.  The problem isn't going to be solved overnight, but raising awareness about it is a good starting point.  Just like trying to cure cancer or childhood obesity, the more people made aware and getting involved, the better.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The two bolded statements contradict each other.

You're the one that gave the opinion that nothing has changed, or it's gotten worse since Kap took a knee.  Then gave a source that showed the rate has decreased, and actually proved you wrong.

it did not prove me wrong, it said there were 250+ that didnt report the race.  that is not proof, furthermore a large % of those are going to be black and minorities

you can find the overall police violence numbers, they are mostly the same, and actually up a little.