Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard admits they pursued FAs last year

csmopar

8 hours ago, LockeDown said:

We all know The Pitt FO is frugal but Pittsburgh loved Hines Ward and Jerome Bettis who had long careers there but obviously not so much Bell and Brown.  

Brown got a Highest Paid MONSTER contract and Bell was the highest paid RB. Get a grip on reality Please.

51 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Brown got a Highest Paid MONSTER contract and Bell was the highest paid RB. Get a grip on reality Please.

Then how do you explain their current situations? Bettis and Ward retired with Steelers and are beloved and the other 2 are much maligned by the organization and other their fans.  It’s okay to be wrong. In fact you excel at it.

4 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Again, Ben repeatedly threw him under the bus, and Tomlin endorsed it. Can you imagine Luck throwing TY under the bus on national and Indy media outlets, and Reich just allowing it all to happen? AB definitely deserves some blame here, but let's not discount the situation as a whole, or not take the entire picture into account just to make one player look bad. We get it, you guys don't want AB or Lev and "Indy is too good to do that", blah. Blah. Blah. You guys keep holding your chins up, and I'll take a sensible approach. Before this season, AB was ultra productive and worked insanely hard to be the best WR in the league on a consistent basis...now did he have some times where he was a diva? No doubt. But I'll leave it to Ballard, Reich, and whoever else to determine what is detrimental to the team and what isn't. One thing that can't be denied, is that AB would make this offense much better, instantly. I believe that he could be a great locker room guy if he wasn't in such a cancerous environment. To each their own though...

Brown is the cancerous issue in the locker room IMO, to each his own.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Lmao stop overreacting.  He hasn't done anything for you to say that.  Same with brown.  They are not locker room problems so I don't know why you wouldn't want them on team. 

Sorry,  but I think this post is 100% wrong.   Completely backwards.

Not locker room problems?      I'd beg to differ.

But if you're comfortable with it,  then keep selling it.    Not sure how many buyers you'll have.

But one buyer is NOT Chris Ballard.     If you've been reading his interviews the past few weeks I think you can read between the lines enough to know he's not signing Bell and he's not trading for Brown.     I'd peg the odds at pretty close to zero.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Then how do you explain their current situations? Bettis and Ward retired with Steelers and are beloved and the other 2 are much maligned by the organization and other their fans.  It’s okay to be wrong. In fact you excel at it.

I've had more than my fair share of issues with BBZ over the years.    But what he wrote here is 100% accurate.   Completely factual.      Brown was the highest paid WR when he signed his deal.

Bell has been the highest paid RB in the NFL for a number of years running.    And he's the highest paid by a wide, wide margin. 

What he says is absolutely correct.      What do you disagree with?

5 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Again, Ben repeatedly threw him under the bus, and Tomlin endorsed it. Can you imagine Luck throwing TY under the bus on national and Indy media outlets, and Reich just allowing it all to happen? AB definitely deserves some blame here, but let's not discount the situation as a whole, or not take the entire picture into account just to make one player look bad. We get it, you guys don't want AB or Lev and "Indy is too good to do that", blah. Blah. Blah. You guys keep holding your chins up, and I'll take a sensible approach. Before this season, AB was ultra productive and worked insanely hard to be the best WR in the league on a consistent basis...now did he have some times where he was a diva? No doubt. But I'll leave it to Ballard, Reich, and whoever else to determine what is detrimental to the team and what isn't. One thing that can't be denied, is that AB would make this offense much better, instantly. I believe that he could be a great locker room guy if he wasn't in such a cancerous environment. To each their own though...

It was a rhetorical question.

20 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

People are overreacting. If I was a premier player, and my team kept spitting in my face (franchise tagging me) although I told them I was gonna hold my ground...guess what? I'd do the same thing, and so would practically everyone in any serious professional setting.

They both work their butts off to be among the best at what they do, and both are amazing Pro Bowl talents. If Chris Ballard and the Colts braintrust decide either are good options (unlikely) then I'm on board, because they ultimately know what is going to bring future success. As much as many of these laptop GMs (myself included) think they could run a successful franchise, they'd make Ryan Grigson look like a Hall of Famer. 

I, for one, would love to have both players on this team, from a skillset standpoint. It is extremely unlikely given Ballard/Reich's general viewpoints, but you're lying to yourself if you don't think either/both would increase this team's potential exponentially. 

Well then....

I guess you think Chris Ballard is lying to himself.

Because I think the chances of Ballard signing Bell or trading for Brown are pretty close to ZERO.

There's an interview (read not view) on the front of the website.    You can read what Ballard thinks about adding high priced talent to his team at this point.     I encourage you to read it.   I think you'll come away believing we're going in a different direction.

It's not always about talent.    There are other issues at play here...

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well then....

I guess you think Chris Ballard is lying to himself.

Because I think the chances of Ballard signing Bell or trading for Brown are pretty close to ZERO.

There's an interview (read not view) on the front of the website.    You can read what Ballard thinks about adding high priced talent to his team at this point.     I encourage you to read it.   I think you'll come away believing we're going in a different direction.

It's not always about talent.    There are other issues at play here...

If you go back over what I wrote, it says that I think it's both unlikely and that it goes against their viewpoints/philosophies. I simply said that from a talent perspective I think they'd make the offense better. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've had more than my fair share of issues with BBZ over the years.    But what he wrote here is 100% accurate.   Completely factual.      Brown was the highest paid WR when he signed his deal.

Bell has been the highest paid RB in the NFL for a number of years running.    And he's the highest paid by a wide, wide margin. 

Isn't Gurley the highest paid? 

Apparently his franchise tag would make him the highest paid this year, though his sit-out basically voided that money (please correct if wrong). In terms of guaranteed money he's behind Gurley, Johnson I believe, and maybe a few others. 

I'm OK with bell from what I've heard.  You don't back out of your contract, but playing hardball when you don't have one is fine by me, which I believe is what he's doing.  His injuries are concerns though. 

Brown on the other hand is the worst of TO and Moss in their petulent primes.  I hope he never plays here. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Steelers don’t like to pay RBs or WRs.  Well Ward and Bettis were beloved, got paid and those guys played hard and ended their career as steeler hero’s.  Meanwhile the Steelers paid Bell and Brown but all they have done is cause trouble.  They will not end their careers there and will not be looked at favorably by Steelers nation as the other 2.  There are reports that Brown has been a problem for some time but his athletic ability keeps him gainfully employed.  Im saying that he and Bell let their team down whereas the other 2 never did.  

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

The Steelers don’t like to pay RBs or WRs.  Well Ward and Bettis were beloved, got paid and those guys played hard and ended their career as steeler hero’s.  Meanwhile the Steelers paid Bell and Brown but all they have done is cause trouble.  They will not end their careers there and will not be looked at favorably by Steelers nation as the other 2.  There are reports that Brown has been a problem for some time but his athletic ability keeps him gainfully employed.  Im saying that he and Bell let their team down whereas the other 2 never did.  

I don't disagree with a word you've written here.    Not one, as far as I can tell.     Good post.

And for more interest, I saw a story today,  I think Pro Football Talk,  that the Steelers and Tomlin are to blame for much of this.     Why? 

Because Tomlin let Brown get away with murder in the locker room for years.    He either did nothing or did next to nothing and Brown only got worse.    Not sure if Bell was a locker room problem,   but he kep getting more and more unhappy with how Pittsburgh kept tagging him year after year.     This one you could see coming.    You could understand both points of view.    You could see Pittsburgh not wanting to throw a ton of money at Bell,  so take him a year at a time.   And you could see Bell thinking the Steelers are using him and will discard him the moment they can.    Brown is now bad for business despite his enormous talent.

I'm not ready to dump too much on Bell,  but I can perfectly understand Ballard not wanting to sign Bell to a big contract.    Throwing money at a RB is not how Ballard does business.

Thanks again....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calmack said:

Isn't Gurley the highest paid? 

Apparently his franchise tag would make him the highest paid this year, though his sit-out basically voided that money (please correct if wrong). In terms of guaranteed money he's behind Gurley, Johnson I believe, and maybe a few others. 

Now.    He might be now.     But before the deal,  Bell was for 2 or 3 years in a row.

Nice catch.

Bell's got very little guaranteed money.    He's only been getting one year at a time.   Only that year's money has been guaranteed.    The other guys have much more based on a multi-year deal.

Thanks again...

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Now.    He might be now.     But before the deal,  Bell was for 2 or 3 years in a row.

Nice catch.

Bell's got very little guaranteed money.    He's only been getting one year at a time.   Only that year's money has been guaranteed.    The other guys have much more based on a multi-year deal.

Thanks again...

Technically, Bell has never been the highest paid RB. He had the highest cap hit in 2017, the first year of his tag. But Freeman made more money because of signing bonuses on his extension and made more money. This past season he would've also had the highest cap hit but even if he had signed the tag, Gurley would've beaten him earnings and by comfortable margin too.

We shouldn't be surprised that Ballard went after FAs... I mean, it's his job. IMO, he had pressing needs last year, and he tried to do what a GM is supposed to. I doubt he was willing to bet the farm on any one or two FAs though, and I don't expect him to this year either. 

I think this coming year he may go closer to "all in" to set up for a playoff run now that Luck is confirmed healthy and back to form. But to me at least, still doesn't mean he'll shell out for someone like Bell unless we really think it's a bargain. 

I've always been a fan of getting your high dollar talent via the draft in order to maximize your dollars, and spend your cap on solid FAs that are underrated or might be a better fit with the Colts (like Ebron). Give me a WR and DL with 2 of the first 3 picks, take some chances with the other picks, and use the cap money to fill the rest of the holes. Would love to pick up a RB like Dexter Williams in the 3rd round of later if he is still there. 

On 1/25/2019 at 2:52 PM, Superman said:

I just heard it. 

Dakich: "Is there anything to 'our locker room can handle this guy'?"

Ballard: "I don't know if we're there yet. ... We're very young. We have a really good combination of veteran and youth leadership. ... I don't know if we're quite there yet, to really absorb... Our team leadership has to accept them, too. ... I don't know if we're quite there yet. I think we're getting close, but I don't know if we're quite there yet."

Dakich: "How do you know?"

Ballard: "Good question. That's a gut one. ... I do think we're in a better place than a year ago. I don't think the locker room understand what I wanted from them." ... "In my mind, it's when you have 10-12 really core players who are leaders... and that are not intimidated or scared to all other players out, that's when I'll have a good feeling of knowing that 'hey, we're getting there.'"

He's setting a high standard for this, and a heavy burden on the leaders in the locker room.

There was also this-

"He has to fit in to the team culture. He has to fit in about doing things right. He has to fit in being team first. He has to be accountable to his teammates."

Let me add in here something that seems to fit here and I learned from listening intently to former NFL front office guys (IE: Bill Polian, Phil Savage, Mark Dominik, etc...) about big name, big money free agents. Nothing, {emphasis added}, Nothing will destroy a locker room faster than an outside newcomer, a big time big payday guy that makes it all about him, that when the whistle blows does not produce near to the level as his pay would dictate it should. It is a real phenomenon, and many GM's and HC's do indeed worry about it. 

This said, Ballard adds-

Basically says they're not going to be perfect doing it (this FA assessment and additions), but "We are going to err on the side of caution when it comes to who we add to the locker room."

On finding about player and his core character... it's getting accurate information (scouts included). "You can't bring a guy in and be wrong, especially if it is a high dollar guy! We got to be right!"

He didn't quite say that they're *not* ready, but the implication is pretty strong that he's not going to take a big swing at questionable veterans.

Agreed.  And early in the interview said we don't have to spend our cap.  But that doesn't mean he won't but he will be very guarded about spending. 

43 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Agreed.  And early in the interview said we don't have to spend our cap.

technically that is true, but in a practical sense they do need to spend it by next year.  there is no huge penalty for not spending  89% of the cap by then, but we will lose it anyway.  i know this fan base can be very conservative, but come on.  might as well spend it rather than lose it for nothing

they could use some of it to extend our own guys, but we dont have 125 million $ worth of players  to extend either 

7 hours ago, Finball said:

Technically, Bell has never been the highest paid RB. He had the highest cap hit in 2017, the first year of his tag. But Freeman made more money because of signing bonuses on his extension and made more money. This past season he would've also had the highest cap hit but even if he had signed the tag, Gurley would've beaten him earnings and by comfortable margin too.

I think you're likely a CPA.    Because when you used the word "Technically" I think you're using an accounting trick.

I'm simply talking about paid salary in any given year.   Not factoring in any signing bonus,  especially because by tagging Bell,  the Steelers have been able to avoid giving him any SB money.   That's in large part why Bell is where he is right now.    Leaving the Steelers and holding up his middle finger to them.    What they did was legal, and Ballard might do the same thing one day.

But I don't think Pittsburgh treated Bell very well,   and I think Bell got poor advice from his agent.  I don't think he handled his business very well, either.

For years, media has been referring to Bell as the highest paid RB in football and by a wide margin.   I'm trying to keep this simple and straight forward.    An apples to apples comparison.

And the Gurley deal does indeed beat Bell by a wide margin,  which to me illustrates how badly Pittsburgh handled Bell the past few years.    There's plenty of blame to go around.

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you're likely a CPA.    Because when you used the word "Technically" I think you're using an accounting trick.

I'm simply talking about paid salary in any given year.   Not factoring in any signing bonus,  especially because by tagging Bell,  the Steelers have been able to avoid giving him any SB money.   That's in large part why Bell is where he is right now.    Leaving the Steelers and holding up his middle finger to them.    What they did was legal, and Ballard might do the same thing one day.

But I don't think Pittsburgh treated Bell very well,   and I think Bell got poor advice from his agent.  I don't think he handled his business very well, either.

For years, media has been referring to Bell as the highest paid RB in football and by a wide margin.   I'm trying to keep this simple and straight forward.    An apples to apples comparison.

And the Gurley deal does indeed beat Bell by a wide margin,  which to me illustrates how badly Pittsburgh handled Bell the past few years.    There's plenty of blame to go around.

Bell got poor advice and/or handled it badly. I agree with that.

And yes, in salary (or base salary more accurately) Bell was the highest paid RB in 2017 and would've been in 2018 had he played. But just base salaries can be highly misleading. Gurley made almost 22M last year. Just 1M of it came in base salary. 35th among all RBs.

Aaron Rodgers was the highest paid player in football last year as he made almost 67M last year. He made just over 1M in salary last year. 31st among all QBs. TY Hilton had higher base salary than Luck in 2017 and will have one next year too. Luck made/makes much of his money via signing bonuses and roster bonuses.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the Steelers handled this relatively well, the business side at least. I don't think Bell was worth what he was asking (or what he will ask). They offered him more than I'd have back in summer of 2017. I don't think Gurley is worth the contract he got but at least Rams signed him early and avoided all the drama that has surrounded Bell and the Steelers. That part the Steelers didn't perpare well for. So I guess it depends what one thinks how much RBs are worth. I don't think they are worth a ton of guaranteed money in their second contracts. Too demanding position, too much risk among other factors. That and possibly Bell being quite a headcase is why I think we should stay away from him.

10 minutes ago, Finball said:

Bell got poor advice and/or handled it badly. I agree with that.

And yes, in salary (or base salary more accurately) Bell was the highest paid RB in 2017 and would've been in 2018 had he played. But just base salaries can be highly misleading. Gurley made almost 22M last year. Just 1M of it came in base salary. 35th among all RBs.

Aaron Rodgers was the highest paid player in football last year as he made almost 67M last year. He made just over 1M in salary last year. 31st among all QBs. TY Hilton had higher base salary than Luck in 2017 and will have one next year too. Luck made/makes much of his money via signing bonuses and roster bonuses.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the Steelers handled this relatively well, the business side at least. I don't think Bell was worth what he was asking (or what he will ask). They offered him more than I'd have back in summer of 2017. I don't think Gurley is worth the contract he got but at least Rams signed him early and avoided all the drama that has surrounded Bell and the Steelers. That part the Steelers didn't perpare well for. So I guess it depends what one thinks how much RBs are worth. I don't think they are worth a ton of guaranteed money in their second contracts. Too demanding position, too much risk among other factors. That and possibly Bell being quite a headcase is why I think we should stay away from him.

Your last paragraph here has been lifted right out of my head!    Almost word for word.    Well said.    And I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard did something similar sometimes in the future.   As long as the rules are how they are,  GM's will use them to their advantage when they can.   Just as Kirk Cousins worked the system to his advantage as well.

Lol. Even with the most money in the league to spend this off season, a lot of you guys don't want the Colts to go out and pick up players in need. Even when they are some of the best at their positions, you still refuse. And you wonder why the Colts have only been to 2 SB's in the last 20 years. 

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, cbear said:

I'm OK with bell from what I've heard.  You don't back out of your contract, but playing hardball when you don't have one is fine by me, which I believe is what he's doing.  His injuries are concerns though. 

Brown on the other hand is the worst of TO and Moss in their petulent primes.  I hope he never plays here. 

AB is not worst those two... or even close.

55 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

Lol. Even with the most money in the league to spend this off season, a lot of you guys don't want the Colts to go out and pick up players in need. Even when they are some of the best at their positions, you still refuse. And you wonder why the Colts have only been to 2 SB's in the last 20 years. 

You don’t win championships by just buying a player. They would have to fit into what this team does on the field and off the field. Just throwing money at a player doesn’t guarantee your going to win a SB.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You don’t win championships by just buying a player. They would have to fit into what this team does on the field and off the field. Just throwing money at a player doesn’t guarantee your going to win a SB.  

So, I guess the Rams got to the SB because they went out and signed a couple 2nd string players. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aavmarine said:

4 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

So, I guess the Rams got to the SB because they went out and signed a couple 2nd string players. 

Specifically, who do you want the Colts to pick up and who did the Rams sign as a FA that made a big difference?  They signed Suh in free agency, but I believe that he stated he turned down other offers because he wanted to play for the Rams.

Out of curiosity are you a Redskins fan?

• Haha 1

Oh, I forgot the fans make the draft picks, FA signings, and Coaching hires.

IF im not mistaken the Front office makes the decisions and the fans opinions has little influence in those. 

18 hours ago, Superman said:

No they don't.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/6/17600618/nfl-salary-cap-2018-everything-to-know-about-salaries

"Teams don’t have to spend their 89 percent every year, however. This requirement must be the average amount spent over the four year spending period. The current spending period started in 2017 and will continue through 2020"

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/1/22/18191670/the-colts-2019-salary-cap-situation-part-ii-chris-ballard-and-mike-bluem-have-options

The team has currently spent $553,242,521. Therefore, Jim Irsay and Chris Ballard must spend at least $59,495,779 to stay on track to the 89% target from 2017-2020.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shastamasta said:

AB is not worst those two... or even close.

With all the Bull**** he has done i was done with him after his response to his many celebration 15 yard penalties and how they could hurt the TEAM.
 He didn't care, he had to be himself, and the fans like it. 
Send him to the worst QB/Team/organization out there. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, aavmarine said:

No Colts fan thinks our GM won't go after players in need. Get a grip on reality.
The only player today that we can feel sure to be available to us is Bell.
 If he is so instrumental then we will be in a bidding war with Belicheck.
 We are fine without him. And Ballard will invest that money more wisely.

Eventhough our need is a WR, if I had to choose between the 2, I am taking Bell over Brown. Bell is much younger and is a great WR out of the backfield. He has never been a locker room problem either. Brown is 30 and a locker room problem. Bell is just playing hardball with Pitt because they keep franchise tagging him, doesn't make him a locker room problem IMO. I would do the same thing in reality. Brown got his huge contract and still acts like a jerk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

"Teams don’t have to spend their 89 percent every year, however.

Correct. Ballard doesn't have to spend a certain amnount or 'stay on track'.  He even admitted as such in his interview-

“You have to spend 89 percent over a four-year period. No. You do not have to. And we can get into the money deal in a minute here ... "

This requirement must be the average amount spent over the four year spending period. The current spending period started in 2017 and will continue through 2020"

The requirement isn't a concern now.  by mid year 2020 it might be. might.  This isn't spending to the cap here, it is the paying out in cash (salaries, roster and signing bonus money, etc) to a level that is 89% of the cap average.  Ballard can re-sign our own FA's, sign FA's, extend contracts , etc all using signing bonus money (guarantees) that meets the spending requirement and not impact actual cap space as much. But even then, Ballard is going to be judicious. In his own words-

"So it’s all gotta fit. I mean, I always laugh when, ‘Well you’ve gotta go sign all these guys,’ but sometimes it just doesn’t fit. It doesn’t fit. And it’s alright.

That’s OK. But we’re going to remain disciplined in how we build this. I just think that when you take shots, you’ve gotta be right on those shots. And when you take them foolishly, now you’re just burning money and you’re hurting your locker room.”

The team has currently spent $553,242,521. Therefore, Jim Irsay and Chris Ballard must spend at least $59,495,779 to stay on track to the 89% target from 2017-2020.

That is to be on target, he can be behind that target line again this year, and then make it all up next year.  There's no 'pressure' here to be on track.

I'd like to point out, even if the Colts do become the first team ever to not meet the spending requirement, do you know what the penalty is?  The League and NFLPA calculate the shortage ( $$ ) .  That amount is paid to the NFLPA who then distributes it among the players that were on the Colts Active Roster over those 4 years.  It's really not that punitive.

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'd like to point out, even if the Colts do become the first team ever to not meet the spending requirement, do you know what the penalty is?  The League and NFLPA calculate the shortage ( $$ ) .  That amount is paid to the NFLPA who then distributes it among the players that were on the Colts Active Roster over those 4 years.  It's really not that punitive.

i already mentioned that.  i would be miffed if they choose not to spend it and lose it for nothing

i like what the rams have done,  they had a young team and cap space so they went all in, and are now in the super bowl.  spending that much cap space is definitely a risk.  a risk i hope they take!

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Therefore, Jim Irsay and Chris Ballard must spend at least $59,495,779

You're off target even making a thing out of the spending floor. There's no requirement to meet the spending floor, it just has to be reconciled at the end of the spending period. 

And the Colts are well on track to meet the spending floor, so it's not a conversation that even needs to be had. 

And the spending floor doesn't end next season, it ends the season after next.

And there will be a new CBA immediately after, so the Colts are right to be prudent, since no one knows what the new CBA will look like.

It's just not a relevant concern at this point. It's especially off target to try to use the spending floor as a rationalizing for why the Colts should sign particular high dollar players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 1:11 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will see, I think he hates what the Steelers did to him and he knows we are are a top 3 team in the AFC right now. 

My response might be late but I listened to his interview with Dackich and he said he really loves our group of RBs. When asked about Bell he said "who?"

I just don't see it but we will indeed see. Could be him talking %.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:05 AM, cbear said:

He wouldn't like sharing reps with the likes of TY.

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

With all the Bull**** he has done i was done with him after his response to his many celebration 15 yard penalties and how they could hurt the TEAM.
 He didn't care, he had to be himself, and the fans like it. 
Send him to the worst QB/Team/organization out there. 

If penalty celebrations are now the measure of a malcontent player...then there are lot of guys who should never be Colts (including some already on the roster).

It's one thing to not want AB for some of these things...but my issue was with the poster saying AB was worst than TO or Moss. That's just ignorant. Moss forced his way off multiple teams...and TO was literally crazy. If  social media existed then like it does now...who knows what would have happened with those two.