Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard admits they pursued FAs last year

csmopar

7 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Agree.  And it is clear none of those saying that nonsense listened to the interview. 

Bell will 1000% NOT be a Colt next year.

Agreed.  I'm just wondering what Ballard would consider a fair price for one of the FA Edge rushers coming on the market. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

No, because I don't think Ballard will go after him, period. 

I'm waiting for the interview to be posted, but from what I'm seeing online, he said the team is not ready to take on a 'threat to the locker room.' I feel like he's consistently messaged that the door is closed to a high profile, discontented veteran, and he's done everything except explicitly say 'we're not signing Le'Veon Bell.' But the message seems pretty clear.

He hinted around it several times and in several ways.  Said he really liked the backs they have now and even lamented not being able to get Jonathan Williams called up.  

But to the bolded he said that he did not think the locker room is ready to handle a big name, big dollar and big personality.

• Like 3

Just now, Smonroe said:

Agreed.  I'm just wondering what Ballard would consider a fair price for one of the FA Edge rushers coming on the market. 

Now that is a position I can see him making a big investment in.  

But the good ones really never reach the open market.

• Like 1

Ballard is in a little bit of tough spot with free agency this year IMO.

On the one hand, it is understandable to have a price value for each free agent and pass when the bidding war gets past that number. 

However, the team is in a position where they need to add talent especially in certain areas if they are going to take the next step with adding top end players to compete with NE, KC and others in the conference.  Having cap space is nice and all, but it doesn't mean squat when we take the field against these teams.  I just don't think we can rely solely on draft or internal development to get the necessary horses to beat the elite teams.

I also think we have to be more open about adding guys in trades (e.g. Antonio Brown) that may have bad reps from the their previous stops and do our own assessment to see if these guys could potentially hold things together long enough to contribute to a SB championship.

Bottom line, I trust Ballard will make the correct decisions with who/who not to bring in and what to pay them.  He has earned at least that much as a fan from me based teams ascension so far during his tenure here.  I am hoping that he is smart enough to modify his principles, core beliefs on roster construction to fit the situation as necessary.  

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

bell isnt a big locker room problem.

This may be true, but what Ballard said was bringing in a high priced free agent has several potential negative issues if it's not the right guy. I won't mention them here since it is in the interview.

It wouldn't be shocking to me if Bell never plays another down in the NFL. I think the owners will make an example of him. He may get contract offers but I really think that they will not be anything close to what the Steelers were offering last year. They are going to try and make him regret sitting out last year. Just my opinion, but I think the owners won't want to reward a player for sitting out a year. I could very well be wrong because it only takes one owner out of 32 to be willing to sign him, but I think Bell just cost himself millions of dollars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bell wants to play here badly, it is just common sense by his Twitter but it is up to Ballard and Irsay if they want to pay him. We have tons of Cap Space so we will see.

Count me among those who think that signing Bell would be a mistake and a huge waste of money better spent elsewhere.

My kids would be ecstatic, though.

20 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

He hinted around it several times and in several ways.  Said he really liked the backs they have now and even lamented not being able to get Jonathan Williams called up.  

But to the bolded he said that he did not think the locker room is ready to handle a big name, big dollar and big personality.

I just heard it. 

Dakich: "Is there anything to 'our locker room can handle this guy'?"

Ballard: "I don't know if we're there yet. ... We're very young. We have a really good combination of veteran and youth leadership. ... I don't know if we're quite there yet, to really absorb... Our team leadership has to accept them, too. ... I don't know if we're quite there yet. I think we're getting close, but I don't know if we're quite there yet."

Dakich: "How do you know?"

Ballard: "Good question. That's a gut one. ... I do think we're in a better place than a year ago. I don't think the locker room understand what I wanted from them." ... "In my mind, it's when you have 10-12 really core players who are leaders... and that are not intimidated or scared to all other players out, that's when I'll have a good feeling of knowing that 'hey, we're getting there.'"

He's setting a high standard for this, and a heavy burden on the leaders in the locker room.

He didn't quite say that they're *not* ready, but the implication is pretty strong that he's not going to take a big swing at questionable veterans.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Correct.  Because he isn't on a team.

he never was.  some guys were not happy with him, but it wasnt a big deal.  no player thats actually worthy of the tag wants to get it twice

ask kirk  cousins 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

that turned them down, for various reasons. Including some bigger names.  

Pretty much confirms what many speculated...  this FA period gonna get interesting

Going after so called FA's and failing to acquire them is on the GM. It's his job to do what is necessary to bring in talent via trades, FA, draft...etc...

The city of Indianapolis is not usually the top destination in the minds of Top FA's, especially if there's question marks on the health of the QB. Then you add that the Colts offers are probably lower than other teams offers then thats why you get turned down. 

Now that Luck has shown he's back, hopefully we can get the players we target. But still money talks, our offers need to be as much or even more than other teams. 

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Going after so called FA's and failing to acquire them is on the GM. It's his job to do what is necessary to bring in talent via trades, FA, draft...etc...

The city of Indianapolis is not usually the top destination in the minds of Top FA's, especially if there's question marks on the health of the QB. Then you add that the Colts offers are probably lower than other teams offers then thats why you get turned down. 

Now that Luck has shown he's back, hopefully we can get the players we target. But still money talks, our offers need to be as much or even more than other teams. 

Ballard having the conviction to not get into bidding wars to pay good players great money has and will continue to serve him well.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well if you actually listened to the interview, he said the Colts in more than one case, had offered HIGHER or longer terms or in at least 1 case, BOTH and still got turned down due to the Luck health and new HC situations...

Also worth noting that Ballard double downed on his intention to upgrade the talent on the defensive line, with particular emphasis on getting a 'dominant, dominant edge rusher... we gotta find him'. He did say that it includes that upgrading across the dline, but there is no secret now that Ballard's top priority right now is getting an elite talent at edge rusher. 

At the start of the interview, he talked about how he has been debating whether he think Braden Smith should go back to RG or stay at RT. He told Dakich that with more technique work and fundamentals he can grow further as a RT, suggesting he is the long term answer. I like how he places a lot of importance of have 10 good, functional offensive linemen, that depth is important.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I just heard it. 

Dakich: "Is there anything to 'our locker room can handle this guy'?"

Ballard: "I don't know if we're there yet. ... We're very young. We have a really good combination of veteran and youth leadership. ... I don't know if we're quite there yet, to really absorb... Our team leadership has to accept them, too. ... I don't know if we're quite there yet. I think we're getting close, but I don't know if we're quite there yet."

Dakich: "How do you know?"

Ballard: "Good question. That's a gut one. ... I do think we're in a better place than a year ago. I don't think the locker room understand what I wanted from them." ... "In my mind, it's when you have 10-12 really core players who are leaders... and that are not intimidated or scared to all other players out, that's when I'll have a good feeling of knowing that 'hey, we're getting there.'"

He's setting a high standard for this, and a heavy burden on the leaders in the locker room.

He didn't quite say that they're *not* ready, but the implication is pretty strong that he's not going to take a big swing at questionable veterans.

Sounds like he left the door open. 

2 hours ago, SR711 said:

Ballard is in a little bit of tough spot with free agency this year IMO.

On the one hand, it is understandable to have a price value for each free agent and pass when the bidding war gets past that number. 

However, the team is in a position where they need to add talent especially in certain areas if they are going to take the next step with adding top end players to compete with NE, KC and others in the conference.  Having cap space is nice and all, but it doesn't mean squat when we take the field against these teams.  I just don't think we can rely solely on draft or internal development to get the necessary horses to beat the elite teams.

I also think we have to be more open about adding guys in trades (e.g. Antonio Brown) that may have bad reps from the their previous stops and do our own assessment to see if these guys could potentially hold things together long enough to contribute to a SB championship.

Bottom line, I trust Ballard will make the correct decisions with who/who not to bring in and what to pay them.  He has earned at least that much as a fan from me based teams ascension so far during his tenure here.  I am hoping that he is smart enough to modify his principles, core beliefs on roster construction to fit the situation as necessary.  

No, he isn't.  He's in a position where literally every GM in the league save about 5 or so would switch places with him in a heartbeat.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bell wants to play here badly, it is just common sense by his Twitter but it is up to Ballard and Irsay if they want to pay him. We have tons of Cap Space so we will see.

Bell doesn’t care whether he plays here, San Francisco, Arizona or in Finland. He cares who will pay him the most money period! 

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

I can see us maybe setting up a invite for bell, but I just can't see Ballard willing to give him 17+. Thats more of a jet move

If Ballard were to give him 17 million a year, I’d think he was taking advice from Grigson. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Does anyone think Bell will take less money to play here? Just to stick it to the Steelers.

Nope. 

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

I doubt it. Bell has said numerous times he wants to get paid like a top player not a top RB. Its understandable, but not likely to happen.

Agreed. He just wants paid and he loves us the most because we have both lots of cap and lots of cash to spend. Can’t blame him for saying what he says to maximize his dollars chance. 

My favourite Ballard interview so far. Questions about specific players aside, i thought he was very candid in his appraisal of the team and the locker room. I love when he called himself an * with regards to not interviewing Reich earlier.

Ballard and Reich preach accountability. That starts at the top and is clearly permeating throughout the entire organisation.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Does anyone think Bell will take less money to play here? Just to stick it to the Steelers.

If he wants to stick it to the Steelers he'll sign with one of their division rivals.  I think he'll go where he can get the most money.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

That's a step further than I'm willing to assume, but obviously it worked out better for us to draft Nelson, and I'm fine with that.

Just saying there's nothing dumb about having targeted Norwell, and I still think he'll pay off for the Jags.

Without looking this up cause I'm feeling lazy ... it seems like teams often get burned spending a whole lot of money on FA guards. I too was hoping for Norwell but not at 14 mill per year...

If we are going to break the bank this offseason, I imagine it will be at a position of much more dire need than RB.  And we have several of those positions on this team (WR, DL, LB, Secondary, potentially RG/RT depending on what they decide to do with Smith).

We will see, I think he hates what the Steelers did to him and he knows we are are a top 3 team in the AFC right now. 

The Steelers players seemed furious with Bell this year: https://www.nbcsports.com/video/pittsburgh-steelers-players-react-leveon-bells-continued-holdout.  A lot of players get franchised tagged and few of them actually hold out a full season.  Ballard and Reich are building a team of guys who care about eachother and put the team ahead of the individual.  Bell (and Antonio Brown) don't fit that mold.  No thanks.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

That doesn't really matter if Ballard doesn't want to pursuit him. Paying Bell 17+ would go against everything Ballard has every said. The only way I see this happening is if Bell lowers his price tag and thats not likely

Ballard recently said (before the playoffs) he believes Mack can be a 1,500 yard + rusher if he can stay healthy for a full season.  I don't think we'll see RB addressed significantly in the offseason with Mack, Hines and Wilkins (I imagine we'll bring in some FA camp bodies and if there's a steal late in the draft or UDFA we may see a couple rookies brought in, but really doubt we'll see us sign a top-tier RB to replace Mack).

7 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

If we are going to break the bank this offseason, I imagine it will be at a position of much more dire need than RB.  And we have several of those positions on this team (WR, DL, LB, Secondary, potentially RG/RT depending on what they decide to do with Smith).

The Steelers players seemed furious with Bell this year: https://www.nbcsports.com/video/pittsburgh-steelers-players-react-leveon-bells-continued-holdout.  A lot of players get franchised tagged and few of them actually hold out a full season.  Ballard and Reich are building a team of guys who care about eachother and put the team ahead of the individual.  Bell (and Antonio Brown) don't fit that mold.  No thanks.

Ballard recently said (before the playoffs) he believes Mack can be a 1,500 yard + rusher if he can stay healthy for a full season.  I don't think we'll see RB addressed significantly in the offseason with Mack, Hines and Wilkins (I imagine we'll bring in some FA camp bodies and if there's a steal late in the draft or UDFA we may see a couple rookies brought in, but really doubt we'll see us sign a top-tier RB to replace Mack).

He will be. If you take what he did this season and extrapolate that to 16 games he would have over 1400. That is right up there with Elliott and Barkley.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

a lot of people seem to think the jets will be the ones to over pay and keep him out of indy

i dont see any reason why they would give him a crazy big contract, LB makes more sense on the colts and we are more ready to win now

Lol. The only one keeping Bell out of Indy is Ballard.  If he wants him he’ll be a Colt.  But I doubt Ballard wants to bring him into our locker room.  Doesn’t feel it’s ready to take on big personality vets right now. 

49 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He will be. If you take what he did this season and extrapolate that to 16 games he would have over 1400. That is right up there with Elliott and Barkley.

but can he do it for 16 games? thats my main question with mack.  he was pretty much boom or bust with a few huge games that got his stats up there

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

My bet is Mack can't stay healthy.  Your No.1 guy should be able to stay on the field.  Need someone more reliable than either boom or bust every week.  

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

My bet is Mack can't stay healthy.  Your No.1 guy should be able to stay on the field.  Need someone more reliable than either boom or bust every week.  

I don’t know what injures if any he had his rookie season because I didn’t pay attention to this team that season. He was a little injury prone this year but I don’t think their is any reason to think he is always going to be injured. His career is just starting.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know what injures if any he had his rookie season 

he missed games with a shoulder injury, and i think he had surgery during the offseason.  not entirely sure about that part though, they were pretty quiet about it