Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard admits they pursued FAs last year

csmopar

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Or, it might turn out similar to how it turned out last year. If players turned us down because they wanted more than we were offering, then it's hard to see Ballard moving off of his values this year.

For instance, we obviously wanted Ryan Jensen, but it's hard to imagine giving him $10.5m/year. 

But I do think the direction of the team was a factor for some players, and that shouldn't be a question moving forward. 

oh I agree completely. 

Or, it might turn out similar to how it turned out last year. If players turned us down because they wanted more than we were offering, then it's hard to see Ballard moving off of his values this year.

For instance, we obviously wanted Ryan Jensen, but it's hard to imagine giving him $10.5m/year. 

But I do think the direction of the team was a factor for some players, and that shouldn't be a question moving forward. 

Ballard just stated that the number one issue was the cloud over Luck's health and availability....

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ballard is smart. Remember how many people wanted us to sign Andrew Norwell lmao . Andrew is now sitting around eating Bigmac's getting fat collecting a huge paycheck. He sucked last year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ballard is smart. Remember how many people wanted us to sign Andrew Norwell lmao . Andrew is now sitting around eating Bigmac's getting fat collecting a huge paycheck. He sucked last year.

He was hurt last year. I still think signing Norwell would have been smart for the Colts, and I think Norwell will bounce back in 2019.

Also, Jensen sucked last year, and got a big contract from Tampa. He spent a day at the Colts facility. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He was hurt last year. I still think signing Norwell would have been smart for the Colts, and I think Norwell will bounce back in 2019.

Also, Jensen sucked last year, and got a big contract from Tampa. He spent a day at the Colts facility. 

Nah. Had we signed Norwell we would not have drafted Nelson IMO

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nah. Had we signed Norwell we would not have drafted Nelson IMO

That's a step further than I'm willing to assume, but obviously it worked out better for us to draft Nelson, and I'm fine with that.

Just saying there's nothing dumb about having targeted Norwell, and I still think he'll pay off for the Jags.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bell wants to play here badly, it is just common sense by his Twitter but it is up to Ballard and Irsay if they want to pay him. We have tons of Cap Space so we will see.

I can see us maybe setting up a invite for bell, but I just can't see Ballard willing to give him 17+. Thats more of a jet move

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Superman said:

That's a step further than I'm willing to assume, but obviously it worked out better for us to draft Nelson, and I'm fine with that.

Just saying there's nothing dumb about having targeted Norwell, and I still think he'll pay off for the Jags.

I actually like Norwell to be honest, I think he is a great O.lineman but it worked out for us so maybe I am just gloating a bit. All I heard was is how the Jags were going to roll to a SB is maybe why I fell like I do, they went 5-11.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Does anyone think Bell will take less money to play here? Just to stick it to the Steelers.

I doubt it. Bell has said numerous times he wants to get paid like a top player not a top RB. Its understandable, but not likely to happen.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Does anyone think Bell will take less money to play here? Just to stick it to the Steelers.

No, because I don't think Ballard will go after him, period. 

I'm waiting for the interview to be posted, but from what I'm seeing online, he said the team is not ready to take on a 'threat to the locker room.' I feel like he's consistently messaged that the door is closed to a high profile, discontented veteran, and he's done everything except explicitly say 'we're not signing Le'Veon Bell.' But the message seems pretty clear.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will see, I think he hates what the Steelers did to him and he knows we are are a top 3 team in the AFC right now. 

That doesn't really matter if Ballard doesn't want to pursuit him. Paying Bell 17+ would go against everything Ballard has every said. The only way I see this happening is if Bell lowers his price tag and thats not likely

• Like 2

No, because I don't think Ballard will go after him, period. 

I'm waiting for the interview to be posted, but from what I'm seeing online, he said the team is not ready to take on a 'threat to the locker room.' I feel like he's consistently messaged that the door is closed to a high profile, discontented veteran, and he's done everything except explicitly say 'we're not signing Le'Veon Bell.' But the message seems pretty clear.

I am not saying I am for it and you may be right but he is a hell of a talent :thmup:

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Because their a bad organization 

a lot of people seem to think the jets will be the ones to over pay and keep him out of indy

i dont see any reason why they would give him a crazy big contract, LB makes more sense on the colts and we are more ready to win now

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

a lot of people seem to think the jets will be the ones to over pay and keep him out of indy

i dont see any reason why they would give him a crazy big contract, LB makes more sense on the colts and we are more ready to win now

That doesn't really matter. If it was just about winning, he would have just stayed in pittsburgh

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That doesn't really matter. If it was just about winning, he would have just stayed in pittsburgh

we have more money and a better team than the jets, especially oline and QB.  he would make some sense there since they need a spark, but the colts are better and have the most cash in the league

i dont think the jets have a history of hugely overpaying for free agents.  the steelers are a mess, three players have tried to get out of there this season.  i think a lot of that is because of ben, hes the real locker room cancer there, not bell or brown  

• Thanks 1

Just now, aaron11 said:

we have more money and a better team than the jets, especially oline and QB.  he would make some sense there since they need a spark, but the colts are better and have the most cash in the league

i dont think the jets have a history of hugely overpaying for free agents.  the steelers are a mess, three players have tried to get out of there this season 

Before this season, the steelers were viewed as super bowl contenders every year. Steelers and Bell just can never agree on his value.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if all it would take is a similar offer the Steelers gave Bell just throw in an increase for inflation and missing a year and top it off with much more in guaranteed money.  Throw in some incentives for good measure and he's a Colt.  Not a biggie for his talent.  

Give Bell free St Elmo for a year, nice incentive haha 

• Like 1