Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting ESPN article about the dysfunction of the Cleveland Browns

Mel Kiper's Hair

Here is a very interesting piece about the Cleveland Browns. It really describes why they are in the shape they are in. The next time people start complaining about Jim Irsay I'm going to to pull this article up and repost it. I am so thankful that Mr. Irsay is our team owner.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25797430/inside-cleveland-browns-front-office-where-hope-history-collide 

2 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Here is a very interesting piece about the Cleveland Browns. It really describes why they are in the shape they are in. The next time people start complaining about Jim Irsay I'm going to to pull this article up and repost it. I am so thankful that Mr. Irsay is our team owner.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25797430/inside-cleveland-browns-front-office-where-hope-history-collide 

I just finished reading about that a little bit ago.

If I was John Dorsey and Hue Jackson told me to "get the F out of my office" after I fired him, I'd be like "Well, Hue it's not your office anymore.  So you get the F out."

:lol:

Goodness. That article paints the picture of an uncommitted, meddlesome owner who can't get out of his own way.

For everyone who calls Jim Irsay impetuous, impatient or meddlesome, read this article and understand just how bogus that claim is. 

45 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well.... Irsay still has had his moments.

After a 11-5 season the previous year the Colts opened the preseason with the Bills. 

Remember 11-5 playoffs previous season and the Bills in the very first preseason game.

https://nypost.com/2013/08/12/colts-owner-blasts-crap-effort-after-preseason-loss-to-bills/

And then he fired his coach and GM and undid the progress they had previous made, right?

Yea, this gives me an appreciation for Jim Irsay even more. I remember when Irsay drove Peyton Manning to the airport after Peyton was leaving the team and the news crew asked some brief questions to Peyton about his departure, and Irsay was holding back tears.

I also love Irsay in the post-game locker rooms. Occasionally, he will try to dance with the team (one time, he almost fell over!). 

I also find it funny Irsay and coach Reich took that newspaper photo together to cement the fact Reich was signing with the team after the McDaniels snub.

I could go on forever, but he's a fabulous owner. Yea, sure, he did drugs, but whatever. The guy is human, and he likely regrets several things he did. At least he loves the team and knows how to build a consistent winner.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well.... Irsay still has had his moments.

After a 11-5 season the previous year the Colts opened the preseason with the Bills. 

Remember 11-5 playoffs previous season and the Bills in the very first preseason game.

https://nypost.com/2013/08/12/colts-owner-blasts-crap-effort-after-preseason-loss-to-bills/

So an owner can't have a problem with the lack of effort his team shows?

9 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I remember when Jim Irsay drove Peyton Manning to the airport after Peyton was leaving the team and the news crew asked some brief questions to Peyton about his departure, and Jim Irsay was holding back tears.

I also love Jim Irsay in the post-game locker rooms. Occasionally, he will try to dance with the team (one time, he almost fell over!). 

I also find it funny Jim Irsay and coach Reich took that newspaper photo together to cement the fact Reich was signing with the team after the McDaniels snub.

I could go on forever, but he's a fabulous owner. Yea, sure, he did drugs, but whatever. The guy is human, and he likely regrets several things he did, like all of us.

I wouldn't trade him for any other owner in the league.

I been a Colts fan since Jim Irsay was Jimmy in the locker room.

There is not an owner in the league that has more passion for his team than Jim.

The Haslam Browns sounds more like the late 70’s early 80’s Baltimore Colts of Robert Irsay. The disfunction of those  Colt teams made the current Brown’s issues look like a picnic. 

Jim is a good owner that occasionally makes bombastic statements and tweets, but has it all over his dad’s Colts and Haslam’s Browns. 

9 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

The Haslam Browns sounds more like the late 70’s early 80’s Baltimore Colts of Robert Irsay. The disfunction of those  Colt teams made the current Brown’s issues look like a picnic. 

Jim is a good owner that occasionally makes bombastic statements and tweets, but has it all over his dad’s Colts and Haslam’s Browns. 

I think Jim had to learn to be a good owner. He was ill prepared to be the GM when it was thrown on him.  He has gone way out of his way not to make the mistakes his father made.

Wow, apparently the writers at ESPN feel comfortable revealing their bigoted stereotypes.

"Haslam looks like what he is: a rich, well-tailored Southerner who wears a suit well but might seem most comfortable in shorts at a University of Tennessee tailgate." 

Gotta wonder if anybody would get into trouble if they stereotyped what Hue Jackson looks like?

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Wow, apparently the writers at ESPN feel comfortable revealing their bigoted stereotypes.

"Haslam looks like what he is: a rich, well-tailored Southerner who wears a suit well but might seem most comfortable in shorts at a University of Tennessee tailgate." 

Gotta wonder if anybody would get into trouble if they stereotyped what Hue Jackson looks like?

He looks like he "...might seem most comfortable in shorts..." .  Might.  Has the biased writer ever seen Mr. Haslam in shorts? Is it "bad" to be comfortable in shorts? Is it bad to be a rich, well-tailored Southerner who wears a suit well?

You are 100% correct.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:41 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I think Jim had to learn to be a good owner. He was ill prepared to be the GM when it was thrown on him.  He has gone way out of his way not to make the mistakes his father made.

The most important decision Jim Irsay made as a new owner was to hire a football pro to run football ops. He said he knew he wasn't a good GM and needed someone to run the team, so he hired Polian, gave him the resources he asked for, and let him do his job. 

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

The most important decision Jim Irsay made as a new owner was to hire a football pro to run football ops. He said he knew he wasn't a good GM and needed someone to run the team, so he hired Polian, gave him the resources he asked for, and let him do his job. 

:agree:

Archived