Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article about Jacoby's future

csmopar

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope you are kidding. I can not tell. Having an Elite QB is very important, we aren't winning a SB with Brissett. 

Tell that to the cardinals with Dilfer, the Ravens with Flacco, or the Jags last year with Bortles who choked away a sure win.

Brissett is better than all three of those QBs, we can win without Luck. We very likely would have won 10 games with Brissett at QB this year. I don't see why we don't cash in on a QB who's likely halfway through his career and an injury that is always at risk of coming back easily and getting worse over time, and keep a younger, stronger, and nearly just as skilled QB.

Makes sense to me. What I don't get is why some people are so hard stuck on Luck when his future is just as unknown as Brissett's is.

14 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Tell that to the cardinals with Dilfer, the Ravens with Flacco, or the Jags last year with Bortles who choked away a sure win.

Brissett is better than all three of those QBs, we can win without Luck. We very likely would have won 10 games with Brissett at QB this year. I don't see why we don't cash in on a QB who's likely halfway through his career and an injury that is always at risk of coming back easily and getting worse over time, and keep a younger, stronger, and nearly just as skilled QB.

Makes sense to me. What I don't get is why some people are so hard stuck on Luck when his future is just as unknown as Brissett's is.

That's why Chris Ballard gets paid the big bucks, and the fans here are … just fans. Doing what's right for the individuals AND the team is a hard job.

7 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

The QB's you mentioned are outliers and Bortles will never win a SB. Brisett is definitely not better than Joe Flacco when he was in his prime. Yeah out of 53 SB's played there have been probably 5 or 6 that have won a SB that aren't in that very good or great level. Most of them have been. Luck is just entering his prime and had a career season. Brissett isn't even close to his level. Brissett is a solid backup and I like him but come on. Luck has the potential to become a Top 5 - 10 QB of all-time. We do not even sniff 10 wins without Luck this season. You think Brissett throws 39 TD's and 4500 Yards? We would've been around 6-10 without Luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The QB's you mentioned are outliers and Bortles will never win a SB. Brisett is definitely not better than Joe Flacco when he was in his prime. Yeah out of 53 SB's played there have been probably 5 or 6 that have won a SB that aren't in that very good or great level. Most of them have been. Luck is just entering his prime and had a career season. Brissett isn't even close to his level. Brissett is a solid backup and I like him but come on. Luck has the potential to become a Top 5 - 10 QB of all-time. We do not even sniff 10 wins without Luck this season. You think Brissett throws 39 TD's and 4500 Yards? We would've been around 6-10 without Luck. 

I disagree, I think people are severely underestimating Brissett's skill.

If we can get 3-4 picks for the next 2-3 years off of Luck, I'd rather slightly lose skill at the QB position and greatly raise the skill around the entire team. We'd be more well rounded and not relying on one person to win games.

4 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

If we can get 3-4 picks for the next 2-3 years off of Luck, I'd rather slightly lose skill at the QB position and greatly raise the skill around the entire team. We'd be more well rounded and not relying on one person to win games.

I see what you are saying but I do not think Brissett is close to Luck's level. I think with Ballard as GM we can have both = an Elite QB with Luck and Ballard's ability to Draft.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Hypothetically, would you trade Luck for all three of the Raiders 1st round picks this year straight up?

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Lets make it more difficult. What if they include Carr?

LOL, still No. Carr isn't on Luck's level either. To me Carr = Cousins. I am not giving up a franchise QB that is coming off a career season where his team has great chemistry. Now that Ballard is running the team I trust him over the next 2 years to get Luck his help to win a SB. I am all in on Luck, Ballard, and Reich as of now. This past season has me a believer. Leonard and Nelson both were outstanding picks, more is too come by Ballard.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Hypothetically, would you trade Luck for all three of the Raiders 1st round picks this year straight up?

No, too many picks in one year. Looking at future draft classes, I'd want to spread the picks out over the next 3 years. This way we can better grow brissett and better evaluate our needs as our draftees develop. 

Not smart to stack all in one draft. 

• Like 2

Regarding Luck, the only QB's that are arguably better as of now,

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Mahomes. I guess maybe Wilson but I think Luck is definitely better than him as of now. Notice how Wilson can not win in the Playoffs without that great Defense he had or without Lynch. I would take Luck over Big Ben or Rivers as well. Brady and Brees are getting old though. Rodgers really had an off year too. Mahomes is scary good and young!

Back on topic

I would keep Jacoby for another season, he is on a cheap contract and a solid backup just in case Luck gets concussed or something and has to miss a game or come out of a game.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Mahomes. I guess maybe Wilson but I think Luck is definitely better than him as of now. Notice how Wilson can not win in the Playoffs without that great Defense he had or without Lynch. I would take Luck over Big Ben or Rivers as well. Brady and Brees are getting old though. Rodgers really had an off year too. Mahomes is scary good and young!

Back on topic

I would keep Jacoby for another season, he is on a cheap contract and a solid backup just in case Luck gets concussed or something and has to miss a game or come out of a game.

I worry too much about his injury, its too much of a risk to me to just overlook it due to his skill.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Back on topic

If you could guarantee a 3rd round compensatory pick in return for Brissett after one more season, I would strongly consider it. However, we could lose the pick depending on how many FA's we sign, so Ballard would have to watch the amount of players he signs in respect to the compensatory pick. If we could get a 3rd this year and a 5th next year or something, that's probably what would push me over the edge as the minimum to trade Brissett. Would hope to get a 2nd though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, csmopar said:

a standard step is 36 inches... whats a yard?  :popcorn:

18 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

My mistake. 5 yards then 

18 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Why are you throwing around arbitrary measurements?

"A step behind" is a figure of speech.

:scratch:

I think luck is head and shoulders above jacoby.   However the average head and shoulders is less than 36 inches so jacoby is less than a step behind luck.   It’s simple science. 

9 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I worry too much about his injury, its too much of a risk to me to just overlook it due to his skill.

After watching this season I am less worried about Luck's shoulder now. I have to admit every time he did get hit this season I flinched LOL. He seems to be 100% and I haven't heard from any sources he isn't. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After watching this season I am less worried about Luck's shoulder now. I hve to admit every time he did get hit this season I flinched LOL. He seems to be 100% and I haven't heard from any sources he isn't. 

For now, age and time will still wear him down and that shoulder. You can't believe that after just one season you trust he won't re-injure it, especially since he took the fewest hits in the league. He's a risk, no other way to look at it. I worry in 4 years his shoulder is going to be bothering him as the wear and tear catches up. 

I'm not worried about Luck anymore. He didn't miss any time last year, and the O-Line is pretty much elite now, both severely lowering his chances of a big injury. If Luck gets hurt again, it will be some random, unfortunate injury that is separate from what happened before IMO. I would definitely trade Brissett if the right offer comes along. Hopefully a 2nd, or a 3rd and another decent pick. A 1st would be a dream. Maybe the Raiders trade one of their late 1sts for him. Another option is to use Brissett as trade up bait in the first round. Ballard has lots of options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

For now, age and time will still wear him down and that shoulder. You can't believe that after just one season you trust he won't re-injure it, especially since he took the fewest hits in the league. He's a risk, no other way to look at it. I worry in 4 years his shoulder is going to be bothering him as the wear and tear catches up. 

Sure anything can happen, look at what happened to Oladipo for the Pacers the other night. It is a risk as a GM that I would be willing to take. Luck's talent is just too great to give up on him. Other than Mahomes and Rodgers no QB's are more talented at this moment IMO. Just saying based on talent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sure anything can happen, look at what happened to Oladipo for the Pacers the other night. It is a risk as a GM that I would be willing to take. Luck's talent is just too great to give up on him. Other than Mahomes and Rodgers no QB's are more talented at this moment IMO. Just saying based on talent.

Won't disagree with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After watching this season I am less worried about Luck's shoulder now. I have to admit every time he did get hit this season I flinched LOL. He seems to be 100% and I haven't heard from any sources he isn't. 

Don’t feed that troll...

It's simple to me. If Luck goes down, even with JB, we wouldn't go deep in the playoffs. And if we don't have a shot, I'd rather get a better draft pick than struggle to be an average team.

If we can get a 2nd or 3rd, or a decent trade out of him, I'll take it. Then draft a back up QB with a late round pick that you won't have to pay as much...

We need to focus on a championship more than what-if-Luck-goes-down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

If we can get a 2nd or 3rd, or a decent trade out of him, I'll take it. Then draft a back up QB with a late round pick that you won't have to pay as much...

I'd prefer to go with a veteran back up. With good pass protection and a solid running game, we would be better served with a game manager than a late pick learning on the job.

18 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Ballard believes we haven’t seen the best of Luck yet.  So He thinks in 4 years that Luck will be even better.  

Since we all have our crystal Ball out, this is what  I see. We trade Brissett , we swap first round picks with ******* and also receive their 3rd round pick.  Then we trade out of 1st round, pick for team ****** for their 2nd and 3rd round picks. This would give us 3 2nd round picks (2 of them higher than ours) and 3 3rd round picks and we already have 2 4th round picks. We would have an opportunity at some very good players. Works for me

20 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

We need to focus on a championship more than what-if-Luck-goes-down.

agreed.  i would take it a step further and say i hope they go into win now mode pretty soon.  i know we are building a young team, but so are the rams and they took some free agent risks and are now in the super bowl 

On 1/26/2019 at 9:14 AM, Narcosys said:

Brissett is not better than those three. He would be a backup on any of those teams.  He is like Matt Cassell.

• Like 1

Given Luck appears to be 100% healthy...there's no reason to keep a valuable asset like Brissett for the 2019 season, that the Colts likely have no real need for.

Brissett is leaving for a real opportunity once FA hits.  The Colts wont (and shouldn't) pay what he will likely want , to bring him back for 2020 and beyond.

Try and trade for the best possible offer of players/picks and try to sign a aging vet to hold the clipboard like Hassleback did and then take a Qb in Rd 6/7 to stash on the practice sqd.

There is no reason to let him walk without getting anything back.

7 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard believes we haven’t seen the best of Luck yet.  So He thinks in 4 years that Luck will be even better.  

In 4 years luck will be 11 years into his career. He'll have maybe 4 left after that. Hopefully we get something from those last 4.

2 hours ago, Roger said:

Brissett is not better than those three. He would be a backup on any of those teams.  He is like Matt Cassell.

Not sure how you can say that but ok.