Jump to content
oldunclemark

Why do you think the refs didnt make the call?

Recommended Posts

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, Myles said:

I think they did not want to affect the outcome.  Turns out that they did.

That's all, I can figure..and you are 100% right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its simply human nature to not be the guy who's judgment materially impacted the game.  I think officials are willing to call the obvious penalties like offsides, illegal formation, etc., but stuff like PI, holding, etc tend to get called less in playoffs because those are infractions that are both judgmental and have high impact/results.

 

Of course, not calling the obvious judgmental infration, which isn't that judgmental on the replay, is the same thing, but its easier to make no call than to make the call, IMO.

 

I don't think there was any intentional or unintentional desire to sway the game.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Mike Perrera, the former head of officials for the NFL, is the Officials Evaluator on Fox Sports.

 

He said that the refs were letting them play all game long and trying hard not to throw too many flags.   But when the biggest call of the game needed to be made, the whistle stuck in their throat.  They went too far not to influence the outcome of the game,  and in so doing,  they actually influenced the game.

 

No conspiracy theories...    Just stupid human error.    Perrera said it was an easy and obvious call to make.    And that they should have made it.      There's the former head of officiating saying HIS GUYS badly blew the call.

 

Good question from @OldUncleMark

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its tough to say whether there is a hidden agenda or not, i tend to remain under the mindset that there is not any handicapping of any games via the refs. I am however open the fact that it is possible but i would like to see it proven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 8:34 PM, oldunclemark said:

We saw the obvious 'pass interference-blow to a defenseless receiver-helmet to helmet contact' foul in the final 2 minutes of the Saints-Los Angeles playoff game. But, assuming and accepting that at least two refs closest to the play saw it clearly,  what I want to ask is: Why do YOU think the two refs didnt make the call?.

 

WE can change rules and talk about 'challenges' and that's all good.  We can debate whether or not it cost the Saints the game and that's fine.

But why did two veteran refs looking at a play where as many as three fouls were as obvious as they could be.

Why did neither make any of 3 available calls? You can throw a late flag 20-30 seconds after the play ends. Why did they all look the other way?

 

Any theories?

 

Because it’s a crooked game.  Sports rigging or game manipulation occurs more often than most would want to believe. Whenever there is gambling and big money to be made the potential for corruption exists.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roger said:

This is interesting.  Seems like the officials responsible for making that pass interference call are from California.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/27/nfl-concerned-four-rams-saints-refs-are-from-california-in-jaw-dropper/

The problem with this is: the Rams have only had a team again for a couple of years..

Folks in California cant be lifelong Rams fans or supporters because the Rams havent been there.  And I get the impression a lot of L.A. folks dont care about the rams one way or another.  There's also the inferred assumption her about a culture of cheating surounding the franchise.

 

Now if all the refs in the NE-KC game were from Boston.

 

That's a different story altogether!!:angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

The problem with this is: the Rams have only had a team again for a couple of years..

Folks in California cant be lifelong Rams fans because the Rams havent been there

The NFL normally does a good job of not having even a single official from the fan base. In this case, there were multiple officials from California, four I think.

As to your contention that the Rams haven't been in LA long, well I bet those officials grew up with the Rams in LA.  They left after the 1994 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Roger said:

The NFL normally does a good job of not having even a single official from the fan base. In this case, there were multiple officials from California, four I think.

As to your contention that the Rams haven't been in LA long, well I bet those officials grew up with the Rams in LA.  They left after the 1994 season.

That's 25 years...Did they grow up in L.A.?  Were they football fans?

Were they from Oakland or San Diego?

 

See what I mean?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roger said:

This is interesting.  Seems like the officials responsible for making that pass interference call are from California.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/27/nfl-concerned-four-rams-saints-refs-are-from-california-in-jaw-dropper/

We Just saw this on our news tonight.  It is sad to think it was on purpose.

 

So many theories... but the bottom line is they missed or ignored this play, and they certainly affected the outcome of the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's 25 years...Did they grow up in L.A.?  Were they football fans?

Were they from Oakland or San Diego?

 

See what I mean?

 

 

 

NFL should, to quote my Baltimore Catechism, "avoid scandal, or the appearance of scandal".

 

No, I don't agree with your point.  It's perfectly reasonable for those refs to have been Rams fans in their youth. Heck, even into adulthood.  And also reasonable that they remained fans after the move to St. Louis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roger said:

This is interesting.  Seems like the officials responsible for making that pass interference call are from California.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/27/nfl-concerned-four-rams-saints-refs-are-from-california-in-jaw-dropper/

 

And it should be noted that NOBODY INVOLVED,  not the Saints, who got screwed,  or the NFL,  believe that influenced the decisions made even 1%.     

 

But the NFL thinks it's a bad look for the league.    It fuels those who wear the tinfoil hats,  including some in this thread.    Their response to most everything is.....   The games are fixed.    Or, this is the outcome the league wants.     Or the league LOVES the Patriots.    Or the league HATES the Patriots.   Or the league wants the biggest TV markets.     Something,  ANYTHING except that which is most logical and reasonable.    Simple human error.

 

That's the answer for most of the weirdness that happens.   Human error.   Sometime on a bigger scale than others,  but there's usually a reasonable explanation for all the crazy stuff that happens in sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Roger said:

NFL should, to quote my Baltimore Catechism, "avoid scandal, or the appearance of scandal".

 

No, I don't agree with your point.  It's perfectly reasonable for those refs to have been Rams fans in their youth. Heck, even into adulthood.  And also reasonable that they remained fans after the move to St. Louis.

None of them live in Los Angeles, Roger...that's why they use the phrase 'Southern California ties'

You cant assume folks who don't live in Los Angles are rams fans because they live in southern California.

 

They could be Chargers fans....or Raiders' fans.

The conspiracy doesn't hold up

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they were to fix a game then they wouldn’t give the screwed team an early 2 possession lead and hope for 1 penalty/missed penalty to be the pivot in the whole thing, in a drive where they still scored. I still say my OP is what happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Mike Perrera, the former head of officials for the NFL, is the Officials Evaluator on Fox Sports.

 

He said that the refs were letting them play all game long and trying hard not to throw too many flags.   But when the biggest call of the game needed to be made, the whistle stuck in their throat.  They went too far not to influence the outcome of the game,  and in so doing,  they actually influenced the game.

 

No conspiracy theories...    Just stupid human error.    Perrera said it was an easy and obvious call to make.    And that they should have made it.      There's the former head of officiating saying HIS GUYS badly blew the call.

 

Good question from @OldUncleMark

 

 

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/video/1429528643660

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:13 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

The best point one of the old refs makes here is that in college football, obvious helmet to helmet fouls can be called from the press box...

..That should come to the NFL...and that's doable

 

But they didn't even speak to why the ref 6 or 7 yards from the play didn't call it...and why other refs within 10-15 yards didn't do anything.

 

The only semi-reasonable explaination thing I have heard is that the ref who was 6-7 yards away and looking right at it somehow missed it. He blinked or he wasn't looking at that second.

And the other refs didn't overrule him because they didn't know him and didn't want to disrespect a fellow ref who was right on the play..

 

Ref crews apparently work as groups during the regular season and playoff ref crews are 'all-star teams of refs. They haven't worked together and there may be a problem in one ref overruling someone he does not know  in a playoff game.

 

I know. Its not a good explaination...but it is an answer

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...