Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do you think the refs didnt make the call?

oldunclemark

We saw the obvious 'pass interference-blow to a defenseless receiver-helmet to helmet contact' foul in the final 2 minutes of the Saints-Los Angeles playoff game. But, assuming and accepting that at least two refs closest to the play saw it clearly,  what I want to ask is: Why do YOU think the two refs didnt make the call?.

WE can change rules and talk about 'challenges' and that's all good.  We can debate whether or not it cost the Saints the game and that's fine.

But why did two veteran refs looking at a play where as many as three fouls were as obvious as they could be.

Why did neither make any of 3 available calls? You can throw a late flag 20-30 seconds after the play ends. Why did they all look the other way?

Any theories?

• Thanks 1

They are inept at their jobs, including the head official. With all the times they huddle up to "get it right" you would think the head guy would realize the magnitude of the play, huddle them together to find out "what's up?" Then get it right.

• Like 1

Only thing I can think of without going to the tinfoil hat is the refs were told by the powers that be (league, head of officiating, etc...) "let them play" especially since they had taken some criticism on calling so many penalties especially early in the season.  This caused the refs to err too far in the other direction and resulted in the horrible no call in the Saints game.

In general I am in favor of "letting them play" and dislike ticky tack called games ... but someone has to make that Saints call, even if the flag is late...they can always pick up the flag/waive off the penalty after ref discussion if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger said:

Because the Saints could beat the Pats, and the fix is in.

Yeah.  Boy Roger Goodell really loves the patriots huh.     I could tell by the gigantic fines and loss of draft picks he imposed on them.  Not too mention the multi million dollar price tag in enforcing the Brady suspension 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was a Championship game and the refs were instructed to let them play. Don't call a Flag on every infraction you see. Let the players decide the game on the field, not the refs.

But the refs didn't use common sense. On a obvious PI and illegal hit on a receiver they did what they were instructed to do, Let them play.

Just my theory for what its worth.

• Like 3

The only time I’ve seen that type of play not get called is if the ball is overthrown and they rule it not catchable.   An even worse explanation is that everyone was so dumbfounded by Sean Payton’s terrible play calling on the previous set of downs that they didn’t think the Saints deserved it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Refs were biased in favor of Saints all game, glad they didn't call that. Not to mention Saints had plenty of chances to win the game and put it away but did not.

No ... the refs made the typical bad calls/no calls both directions during the game.  The no call on the DPI/helmet to helmet just happened to be so obvious and egregious that it is on a whole nother level; it changed the outcome of the game. The NFL can not have mistakes like that in any game let alone in a Playoff Championship Game.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah.  Boy Roger Goodell really loves the patriots huh.     I could tell by the gigantic fines and loss of draft picks he imposed on them.  Not too mention the multi million dollar price tag in enforcing the Brady suspension 

He fooled many people, including you.  The scenario unfolded to make Brady an even greater hero, as he served his "suspension" (AKA "rest") and came back fresh to win the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

On January 22, 2019 at 9:38 PM, esmort said:

Only thing I can think of without going to the tinfoil hat is the refs were told by the powers that be (league, head of officiating, etc...) "let them play" especially since they had taken some criticism on calling so many penalties especially early in the season.  This caused the refs to err too far in the other direction and resulted in the horrible no call in the Saints game.

In general I am in favor of "letting them play" and dislike ticky tack called games ... but someone has to make that Saints call, even if the flag is late...they can always pick up the flag/waive off the penalty after ref discussion if needed.

For the most part I believe this is the case.  I doubt it was league directed  but it seems clear to me that the officials decided to let the players decide the game and in doing so with the no PI call the officials actually decided it.

There has been much talk about making PI a reviewable call in the last few days.  I don't think that is the answer because where does the line stop on judgment calls.  And it seems the game could really start to drag.  The solution for me is an emphasis on a penalty is a penalty regardless of the time of the game or the importance of a game.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

On msn.com they have the latest video of one official #60 waiving off another official who I assume was calling PI. What else could he be waiving off? Sorry I can't cut & paste, bad keyboard I think.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/watch-official-appears-to-wave-off-colleague-for-flag-on-controversial-call/ar-BBSEnCu?li=BBnba9I

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

On msn.com they have the latest video of one official #60 waiving off another official who I assume was calling PI. What else could he be waiving off? Sorry I can't cut & paste, bad keyboard I think.

Full video here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z--m55G_GZU

6 hours ago, jskinnz said:

For the most part I believe this is the case.  I doubt it was league directed  but it seems clear to me that the officials decided to let the players decide the game and in doing so with the no PI call the officials actually decided it.

There has been much talk about making PI a reviewable call in the last few days.  I don't think that is the answer because where does the line stop on judgment calls.  And it seems the game could really start to drag.  The solution for me is an emphasis on a penalty is a penalty regardless of the time of the game or the importance of a game.

I don't get why people would say that t will drag. If you are limited on how many times you can challenge, then what is reviewable makes no difference. Three is three no matter what it is. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

I don't get why people would say that t will drag. If you are limited on how many times you can challenge, then what is reviewable makes no difference. Three is three no matter what it is. 

The most common theme from this week is a scenario with coaches having the same # of challenges but also the booth handles all reviews under two minutes.  If inside two minutes and they are reviewing scoring plays, turnovers and now judgement calls like pass interference, isn't there more of a chance the game will be longer?

My larger point is call the same penalty in the last minutes of a game as they would in the 1Q.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Sorry man, that ship has sailed.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Meaning what?  That the game is already too long?

In my opinion - yes.  Too much wasted time.  Too much time on commercials, too much time between plays, too much time on reviews, too much time for official huddles.

But just my opinion.  I would like to see a game completed in 2 to 2.5 hours.

13 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Best summation of the situation that I've read, anywhere. I agree 100%. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoPats said:

Best summation of the situation that I've read, anywhere. I agree 100%. 

Thanks.  I hope you are well.

Take this for whatever it's worth.  You are the only thing / person in all of Pats nation that I can tolerate.  The rest of the lot has given me a scorching case of Pats fatigue.  And I fear my symptoms may last a few more years.

• Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:40 PM, coltsva said:

They are inept at their jobs, including the head official. With all the times they huddle up to "get it right" you would think the head guy would realize the magnitude of the play, huddle them together to find out "what's up?" Then get it right.

That's exactly what Im wondering..

..all of them saw no reason to even huddle up on it?

None of them saw any fouls on that play?

20 hours ago, King Colt said:

I have not seen that yet...

….But somebody must have overruled somebody.

I just wonder what they all saw

18 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Thanks.  I hope you are well.

Take this for whatever it's worth.  You are the only thing / person in all of Pats nation that I can tolerate.  The rest of the lot has given me a scorching case of Pats fatigue.  And I fear my symptoms may last a few more years.

LOL, thanks buddy. I appreciate that. (And I completely understand it. Sometimes I experience it as well and I'm supposedly on the same side as those guys.) All is great, hope the same for you and yours! 

On 1/24/2019 at 3:02 AM, jskinnz said:

Basically, the refs are robots, and took Commissioner Roger Goodell's directives too seriously. It's like WWE wrestling; if Vince McMahon writes you a script, you follow it. Unfortunately, someone forgot to tell the refs this isn't wrestling.

8 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Basically, the refs are robots, and took Commissioner Roger Goodell's directives too seriously. It's like WWE wrestling; if Vince McMahon writes you a script, you follow it. Unfortunately, someone forgot to tell the refs this isn't wrestling.

I am not in the tin foil hat crowd.

I don't believe for a second this stuff is scripted or league directed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1