Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard on off-season pass rush

dodsworth

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Earle tackles well....... very well

I have heard he want to be a Cowboy, but if not, he should be someone we consider

Its an improvement over what we have

Earl Thomas is too old and hasn't been healthy in foreve. we need the Kam Chancellor for our D we already have our Earl Thomas.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Here's a thought.  I wonder if Belicheck would ever think about tagging Flowers then trading him to the Colts for Brissett and a mid round pick.  We know he and McDaniels love Brissett.

I just dont see that happening at least not this upcoming year

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

not a big problem if we are running cover two most of the time.  the safeties jobs are pretty much interchangeable in the base set.  then we could bring back someone like mitchell or geathers to be the dime back/strong safety 

That wouldn't be a bad scenario. Thomas' age gives me a lot of hesistation though. And from the sounds of it...I think he ends up in DAL with some creative accounting.

I don't know why more people aren't talking about Mathieu as an option. I think he would fit very nicely next to Hooker in the base set...and he's very versatile. Much like Clowney, it never hurts to weaken a division rival.

Ballard should do all he can to sign either Flowers or Ford.  Both would help a ton.

OT:  What is Ballards deal with his hair?  He keeps dying it from its natural red state to a dark brown which looks terrible, obviously to hide the gray hairs, but then grows a beard that is entirely gray...which looks more horrible.

Kinda odd.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

That wouldn't be a bad scenario. Thomas' age gives me a lot of hesistation though. And from the sounds of it...I think he ends up in DAL with some creative accounting.

I don't know why more people aren't talking about Mathieu as an option. I think he would fit very nicely next to Hooker in the base set...and he's very versatile. Much like Clowney, it never hurts to weaken a division rival.

Mathieu would fit our nickel or dime better than our base.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Mathieu would fit our nickel or dime better than our base.

Oh absolutely. That would be the most ideal way to use him. Imagine if they could get an athletic Derwin James type at SS and then have Mathieu at nickel S.

But I think it would be a luxury...and I just don't think he would sign for what Ballard would be willing to spend on a nickel S. If he is coming here...it's to start in the base defense.

On 1/22/2019 at 2:00 PM, shastamasta said:

My dream is Clowney. He has the age...athleticism...consisent production (over the past three seasons)...and he weakens the top divisional rival. He's a perfect fit at RDE. But if not him...then Dee Ford makes a ton of sense as well.

Well, nobody can outbid the Colts if they really want someone, considering they're No. 1 in cap space. I would love to see Clowney too. But I've got a feeling that Ballard will resist going for the "big name" free agents. I think it offends his sensibilities somehow.

My dream is Clowney. He has the age...athleticism...consisent production (over the past three seasons)...and he weakens the top divisional rival. He's a perfect fit at RDE. But if not him...then Dee Ford makes a ton of sense as well.

Well, nobody can outbid the Colts if they really want someone, considering they're No. 1 in cap space. I would love to see Clowney too. But I've got a feeling that Ballard will resist going for the "big name" free agents. I think it offends his sensibilities somehow.

25 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I think Clowney is the type of player he makes an exception for. At least I hope so.

17 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Oh absolutely. That would be the most ideal way to use him. Imagine if they could get an athletic Derwin James type at SS and then have Mathieu at nickel S.

But I think it would be a luxury...and I just don't think he would sign for what Ballard would be willing to spend on a nickel S. If he is coming here...it's to start in the base defense.

JMO that Moore is as good or better tham Mathieu so he actually makes Zero sense to sign. 

On 1/22/2019 at 5:39 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

They better not push Kemoko down the roster that guy has the potential to be very good especially if he starts to get better at run D

I thought we saw a lot of promise from Turay.  It kind of baffled me how he saw time reduced throughout the season, and I've heard several different things from that being the plan for him all along to he wasn't practicing well so they moved him to the bench to his injured hip was limiting him.

16 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

We tried to bolster the d line with Turray and Lewis, didn't we?

Yes.  Lewis missed significant time in development due to a toe injury pre-season, but came in and looked good later in the season.  He seemed to be very disruptive but often times a step or 2 too slow in getting to the QB (I am hoping this is just to him being raw and getting used to NFL speed rather than actually being too slow for the NFL).  I am not sure how severe his knee injury is, but hopefully he can come into training camp fully healthy and continue to develop.

Anyway, I thought both Turay and Lewis had promising rookie years.  We know Ballard likes to build through the draft and coach players up.  From what I saw, both of these guys have a lot of upside (though neither have the ridiculous physical traits of Clowney).  I'll trust to coaching staff and FO to see what they think about either (or both) of them making significant development in the off-season.

That said, I still think we need to upgrade our pass rush, whether it come from an OLB or a DE (or both).  I like Sheard and think he's done an admirable job for what he's been asked to do in Indy, but I think we've seen his ceiling.  Autry's 9 sacks primarily playing in the middle of the DL and Hunt's 5 sacks are pretty impressive, but we really need someone who can get off the edge consistently.  Even though we had 13 more sacks last year than in 2017, we were still ranked 19th (lower half of league) in sacks.  There were a few games where our offense sputtered, but if we give Luck another WR weapon and this offense continues to grow we should really have enough fire power to allow for our D to pin their ears back and get after the passer more often.  However, I am not convinced we have enough talented pass rushers (or 'the 1' talented pass rusher) to really excel if we're given the opportunity to do so.

We definitely need a disruptive DT to put consistent pressure on

the QB. Good QB's look mediocre when they can't step up in the 

pocket and have pressure in their face.

Some of the greats as in Manning, Brady etc. struggle when the 

pocket collapses, and if you need more proof just re watch the 

Colts vs KC playoff game. 

On 1/23/2019 at 7:37 AM, Tsarquise said:

Pass rush is absolutely King, but I feel like there is little concern that our offense only scored 6 points against Kansas City. 

We only scored six points because our receivers were being manhandled with PI which was not called and our OL was constantly having to deal with hands to the face which was not called.

Dee Ford, I saw how quick he got around the corner on us. Clowney is a NO from me, injury prone and not disciplined enough. Although Clowney being in the 4-3 is intriguing, only has 1 job, to get the qb. Dante Fowler is a maybe if money is good. Lawrence may need to have a good #2 DE with him, teams schemed him more and his numbers was down.