Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard on off-season pass rush

dodsworth

DE should be (arguably) the priority of this offseason. And it could end up being a pretty good time to have cap space available:

FA

Demarcus Lawrence

Trey Flowers

Dee Ford

Dante Fowler

Jadaveon Clowney

Not all of them will make it to FA...but a couple of them will. 

My dream is Clowney. He has the age...athleticism...consisent production (over the past three seasons)...and he weakens the top divisional rival. He's a perfect fit at RDE. But if not him...then Dee Ford makes a ton of sense as well.

The draft, on the other hand, is full of DE talent. It just depends on who will be there. I would probably target one of the bigger, stronger (and longer to bat passes) DE types to replace Sheard at LDE long-term. Someone like Ferrell or Gary would be amazing...but they likely won't be there when the Colts are picking.

Would be real nice to get two this offseason if possible.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

DE should be (arguably) the priority of this offseason. And it could end up being a pretty good time to have cap space available:

FA

Demarcus Lawrence

Trey Flowers

Dee Ford

Dante Fowler

Jadaveon Clowney

My dream is Clowney. He has the age...athleticism...consisent production (over the past three seasons)...and he weakens the top divisional rival. He's a perfect fit at RDE. But if not him...then Dee Ford makes a ton of sense as well.

The draft, on the other hand, is full of DE talent. It just depends on who will be there. I would probably target one of the bigger, stronger (and longer to bat passes) DE types to replace Sheard at LDE long-term. Someone like Ferrell or Gary would be amazing...but they likely won't be there when the Colts are picking.

I'm with you on Clowney. He definitely scares me though on being one of those guys that gets paid and then shuts it down, if you know what I mean, but when that guy wants to play he's awesome.

33 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Definitely music to our ears since the loss to KC was

because of sub par line play. A 4-3 defense is useless

without good line play and Ballard understands this.

In today's NFL I think any defense that doesn't have a strong pass rush is going to be in trouble.   I hope this is a focus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Saw Robert Mathis paying homage to Trey Flowers on insta/twitter the other day. And he responded to him. I’d love that fit.

Mathis was his idol growing up. Flowers will probably make it to the open market too. He's probably not a consistent double digit sack guy but he is extremely disruptive and I'd love to have him on the Colts.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Mathis was his idol growing up. Flowers will probably make it to the open market too. He's probably not a consistent double digit sack guy but he is extremely disruptive and I'd love to have him on the Colts.

I like Flowers...especially given his age and versatile skill set. But I would be very wary about paying him the big money it will take. This isn't Jamie Collins or Chandler Jones...this is a former 4th round pick that is excelling with NE. And they will likely have no inclination to extend him. So that alone is a bit of a red flag.

No to mention the Colts would be buying incredibly high on him. He was having a fairly meh season over the first half before feasing on the crappy AFC East teams in the back half.

For example, would we be comfortable with the Colts paying Denico Autry some monster contract because of his second half of the season? I don't know if we would.

Flowers just sounds a bit like exhibit A of paying A money to B players...which is something Ballard said he will not do. I would much rather target guys in FA that have elite traits (Clowney and Ford)...guys that are not as easy to find in the draft. And then use the draft to procure the next Trey Flowers type (or someone similar)...where you can get a guy like that on Day Two or beyond.

• Like 2

Just a tidbit:

Best pass rushers taken in later rounds

Robert Mathis - 5th round

Kevin Greene -  5th round

Deacon Jones - 14th round

Jarred Allen- 4th round

Richard Dent - 8th round

John Randle - UDFA

Now, saying that, I hope Ballard gets one in 1 or 2 (along with an awesome DT), but you never know, especially with Mathis coaching.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a little off topic. IF Eberflus eventually leaves for a HC do you think Mathis would be considered for DC. 

I’ve heard this from more of the rumor crowd on social media and friends. Honestly not sure if it’s true that he’s being groomed or not.

It would be pretty cool if he does and excels!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

FA

Demarcus Lawrence

Trey Flowers

Dee Ford

Dante Fowler

Jadaveon Clowney

I agree that a couple of them will make it to free agency. But the problem IMO is the 2 that make it there...Flowers and Fowler. I can't see paying for either one of those 2 guys and someone will over pay. Lawerence I think has zero chance and Houston has the money to franchise or extend Clowney.  KC is not flush with cap space but Ford's franchise tag is around 15 mill and odds are KC will go that route. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He reminds me more of Sheard as a solid edge setter, run stopper and 6-8 sack guy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Just a tidbit:

Best pass rushers taken in later rounds

Robert Mathis - 5th round

Kevin Greene -  5th round

Deacon Jones - 14th round

Jarred Allen- 4th round

Richard Dent - 8th round

John Randle - UDFA

Now, saying that, I hope Ballard gets one in 1 or 2 (along with an awesome DT), but you never know, especially with Mathis coaching.

They better not push Kemoko down the roster that guy has the potential to be very good especially if he starts to get better at run D

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I agree that a couple of them will make it to free agency. But the problem IMO is the 2 that make it there...Flowers and Fowler. I can't see paying for either one of those 2 guys and someone will over pay. Lawerence I think has zero chance and Houston has the money to franchise or extend Clowney.  KC is not flush with cap space but Ford's franchise tag is around 15 mill and odds are KC will go that route. 

True...Fowler and Flowers (crazy how similar their names are) aren't that exciting. My hope is that Clowney somehow makes it to FA. 

I thought KC said that they were going to let Ford hit FA? 

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

True...Fowler and Flowers (crazy how similar their names are) aren't that exciting. My hope is that Clowney somehow makes it to FA. 

I thought KC said that they were going to let Ford hit FA? 

The only thing I saw on Ford was he wanted to stay in KC and had no issue with the franchise tag. Maybe we should look for ballard to bring in a top safety ? Some pretty good ones will probably be available .

28 minutes ago, dw49 said:

The only thing I saw on Ford was he wanted to stay in KC and had no issue with the franchise tag. Maybe we should look for ballard to bring in a top safety ? Some pretty good ones will probably be available .

Who? Collins isnt a for sure available who else is available thats a game changer at S?

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Who? Collins isnt a for sure available who else is available thats a game changer at S?

Earl Thomas. That's all you really need. But if not, then Tyrann Mathieu,LaMarcus Joyner, Adrian Amos, and Clinton-Dix are all + guys with NFL experience you could plug straight in. The only problem is that Hooker plays FS, and so does Earl. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

I think S is definitely a place to look tan upgrading...especially if Collins is available.

My under the radar FA would be Jordan Hicks...if he’s not super expensive. Colts would be rolling the dice a bit...but he was the best coverage LB in the NFL two years ago. If he can stay healthy...he would be a big boost. At worst, he would provide depth at ILB...which is lacking.

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Earl Thomas. That's all you really need. But if not, then Tyrann Mathieu,LaMarcus Joyner, Adrian Amos, and Clinton-Dix are all + guys with NFL experience you could plug straight in. The only problem is that Hooker plays FS, and so does Earl. 

That's my point all of them are just like hooker we need a more SS and they need to have a lil coverage skills unlike geathers who has like none 

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That's my point all of them are just like hooker we need a more SS and they need to have a lil coverage skills unlike geathers who has like none 

Earle tackles well....... very well

I have heard he want to be a Cowboy, but if not, he should be someone we consider

Its an improvement over what we have

7 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

The only problem is that Hooker plays FS, and so does Earl. 

not a big problem if we are running cover two most of the time.  the safeties jobs are pretty much interchangeable in the base set.  then we could bring back someone like mitchell or geathers to be the dime back/strong safety