Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Senior Bowl Week: General discussion thread, measurements, workouts, practices, the game

I’m taking the defensive lineman performances with a grain of salt. From what I’m hearing and seeing, it looks like the OL play is pretty bad this year. I was watching the Voch Lombardi breakdowns and he mentioned that most of them struggled with getting their hands on the inside of the defenders. Plus there was just a lot of bad technique. Guys lunging, crossing feet up, wide bases, bad footwork, etc... This is a poor OL class.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m taking the defensive lineman performances with a grain of salt. From what I’m hearing and seeing, it looks like the OL play is pretty bad this year. I was watching the Voch Lombardi breakdowns and he mentioned that most of them struggled with getting their hands on the inside of the defenders. Plus there was just a lot of bad technique. Guys lunging, crossing feet up, wide bases, bad footwork, etc... This is a poor OL class.

I think this is a decent class of interior offensive linemen, and there are some good right tackles. That said, I don’t think it’s a deep left tackle class. 

On Day 2, I’d like to see us get an interior offensive lineman who can play both guard and center for depth. I think the value will be there. 

It’s a shame we didn’t keep Austin Blythe.  Not sure what we were thinking when we let him go. It felt wrong when it happened. Now he is one of the best interior lineman in the league and is heading to a Super Bowl. 

Nevertheless, we will always have to spend early picks on the offensive line. 

I like Voch, and think that overall his work is enjoyable, but he gets tunnel vision and quite often misses on the bigger picture. 

23 hours ago, bhougland said:

For anyone wanting to watch the workouts (with commentary from Voch Lombardi) here are some links:

OL vs DL (North):  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftK4bvUegV8

OL vs DL (South): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQClEdOBurE&t=104s

WR vs DB: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV9GPD2668w

I have only watched a little, but my impressions so far:

Oline

- Wisconsin olineman Michael Deiter and Beau Benzschawel are having a very rough day...like really bad.

- Boston College guard Chris Lindstrom is putting on a technical clinic.

- Kansas State Olineman Dalton Risner had an up and down day.  Got beat by Zach Allen on one rep.

Dline

- Josh Sweat (Mississippi State) had a really good day.  He uses his arm length to his advantage, but it does look like is his only real move at this point.  I don't know if he will reach us anymore.

- Zach Allen (Boston College) didn't have a bad day, but also wasn't dominate.  He didn't show overwhelming power and didn't do anything to dispel questions about his athleticism.

- sparkplug Nose tackles Khalen Saunders (Western Illinois) and Daylon Mack (Texas A&M) definately earned some money, as they both looked extremely powerful and won some solid reps.  Note: Khalen Saunders is getting the business by the MSM that he didn't leave for the birth of his child.  I have 3 children of my own an know how special watching the birth is, but give the kid a break.  This is kid from a small school trying to prove that he can handle NFL type talent and this is his shot.  Btw, if you haven't seen this yet, this is him doing a backflip at 320lbs:  https://sportsnaut.com/2019/01/watch-320-pound-dl-khalen-saunders-backflips-like-a-gymnast/

-LJ Collier (TCU)  is making a name for himself after winning rep after rep.

-Charles Omenihu (Texas) had some really good reps displaying good hand fight.  However, with his super long arms he also sometimes lets the OT get into his chest too much and can't get off the block.  He is still showing that he is one of the top prospects there.

Only got a small sampling, but Charles Omenihu looked pretty good to me. Needs a little refinement, tho.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

From the highlights I'm seeing from the Senior Bowl practice (limited, I know), it seems like Deebo gets great separation from DB's, tho not sure how advanced his route tree is at this point.

Montez Sweat is a freak of nature, and as mentioned above, has very little chance to make it to us at 26. He puts on 10-15 lbs and enhances his run-stop ability, he's gonna be one of the more explosive players in the league. 

The 2 Wisconsin OL were very disappointing and if they don't improve, their stock will take a hit. Dalton Risner showed flashes of what he could be at the next level. This is looking like a really shallow draft for Offensive Linemen. 

The more I see Montez Sweat, the more I'm convinced the Colts should move into the teens to grab him. He is the guy they so desperately need to harass the passer with consistency. He is kind of one-dimensional at this juncture, but with added weight and coaching he could become a perennial Pro Bowler. 

Zach Allen from Boston College looks decent, seems like a watered down version of what Sweat would bring, and not sure I'd be content with the Colts using their 1st on him, maybe  one of the 2nds. I'd rather go Willis or Dre'Mont at DT, or Oruwariye/Baker at CB or even Thompson at S over taking a lesser skilled Edge guy there. 

Just my 2 cents on the very limited action thus far. 

I have been a fan of Zach Allen, but he looked slower than the others

I think he will slide a bit

I was looking at Risner as a future RT/LT for us, but some project has interior OL

Sweat or Burns would be a GREAT pickup

If they slide a bit....... and the trade doesnt cost too much........ Im all for it

DAY 2 (North OL Vs DL):

Notes from day 2:

- Michael Deiter and Beau Benzschawel  continue to have terrible practices.  I don't see how they can possibly go in the 1st or 2nd rounds anymore.

- Chris Lindstrom is the star interior OL prospect here, guess he has been pancaking people in team practice as well.  If Glo doesn't like the offer from Ballard, I think we need to be looking at this guy.  He looks very mobile as well, good for pulling (he was right guard at Boston College).

-LJ Collier (TCU) looks downright dominate. I did some research (watched his Texas game) on him and found out that he was a DE.  I don't think he has the aestheticism to be that in the pros.  Could he be a pass rushing 3 tech?

-Charles Omenihu - He looks a bit like Autry out there compared to the other edge rushers; very powerful.  I think he moves up boards until the combine.  If he has a great combine then I think he will be in first round consideration.  His production looks pretty good: 

Anything you saw that I forgot?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bhougland said:

DAY 2 (North OL Vs DL):

Notes from day 2:

- Michael Deiter and Beau Benzschawel  continue to have terrible practices.  I don't see how they can possibly go in the 1st or 2nd rounds anymore.

- Chris Lindstrom is the star interior OL prospect here, guess he has been pancaking people in team practice as well.  If Glo doesn't like the offer from Ballard, I think we need to be looking at this guy.  He looks very mobile as well, good for pulling (he was right guard at Boston College).

-LJ Collier (TCU) looks downright dominate. I did some research (watched his Texas game) on him and found out that he was a DE.  I don't think he has the aestheticism to be that in the pros.  Could he be a pass rushing 3 tech?

-Charles Omenihu - He looks a bit like Autry out there compared to the other edge rushers; very powerful.  I think he moves up boards until the combine.  If he has a great combine then I think he will be in first round consideration.  His production looks pretty good: 

Anything you saw that I forgot?

Collier HAS to move up the draft board after this event...... The guy looked awesome

10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Collier HAS to move up the draft board after this event...... The guy looked awesome

Here is his tape against Texas, some really good reps and some where he lost the edge:

I just don't see him as an EDGE at the next level, but he does look disruptive.

5 minutes ago, bhougland said:

Here is his tape against Texas, some really good reps and some where he lost the edge:

I just don't see him as an EDGE at the next level, but he does look disruptive.

I would humbly admit....... (I live in Texas) I didnt know who this guy is, until the practices this week

I think he is a UT, or a strongside DE

I think having a player that can play either position is very attractive, as they can rotate inside on 3rd and long

14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would humbly admit....... (I live in Texas) I didnt know who this guy is, until the practices this week

I think he is a UT, or a strongside DE

I think having a player that can play either position is very attractive, as they can rotate inside on 3rd and long

Those 2 reps that Lindstrom and Collier went against each other were epic (20min mark).  Collier was * after the 1st rep.

One thing I forgot to mention is that Zach Allen looks like just another dude out there.  If he doesn't have a good combine he is going to slide a lot.

I'm falling in love with Deebo Samuel. He is unstoppable. He's winning every single rep. And decisively! Getting open and beating press-man too. WOW! 

Just look at this. Filthy:

This is the press-man rep... drew 2 flags on that play:

If Glowinski wants too much money, I’m letting him walk and drafting Dalton Risner in the 2nd round. He proved he can play RT but he can come here and play RG or RT if you wanna move Smith inside. He’s got that nasty that Nelson has brought and is powerful as hell. Great week for him.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

If Glowinski wants too much money, I’m letting him walk and drafting Dalton Risner in the 2nd round. He proved he can play RT but he can come here and play RG or RT if you wanna move Smith inside. He’s got that nasty that Nelson has brought and is powerful as hell. Great week for him.

I would love to get him but not sure where to take him I really want the 1st 2 picks to be DL and S would he be there at our late 2nd pick??

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I would love to get him but not sure where to take him I really want the 1st 2 picks to be DL and S would he be there at our late 2nd pick??

It’s possible. He doesn’t have ideal OT size so even though he looked great at the Senior Bowl, some teams will overlook him for that. Even though people forget that he put clamps on Montez Sweat this past season when they met.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s possible. He doesn’t have ideal OT size so even though he looked great at the Senior Bowl, some teams will overlook him for that. Even though people forget that he put clamps on Montez Sweat this past season when they met.

If we came out with a stud interior DL a S to pair with Hooker and a tough RT I'd prolly pass out with excitement. The WR class is deep so we prolly snag one in the 3rd round that would be amazing  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Is it just a coincidence that Deebo was born around the same time the movie Friday came out? I think not. Deebo Samuel is now appropriately treating these DB's like Smokey and Craig. (Lots of Friday references, hopefully you guys have seen it or this post may well have been in Swahili) 

After every rep:

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, stitches said:

@Superman in this video PFF is saying Samuel forced 21 missed tackles after the catch and averaged 10 yards after the catch per reception this year. 

Disclaimer: my mission this off-season will be to make you like Deebo Samuel :D 

And that 21 missed tackles was on only 62 catches according to them. That's kinda crazy. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Ole Denard Robinson had a pretty nice week at the Senior Bowl last week :)

The real Denard Robinson had a decent Senior Bowl, and he was playing an entirely new position.

Anyway, it was just a style comparison. Deebo is obviously more talented than Robinson, and he's already played receiver. Just saying that I think Deebo is more of a gadget player than a full time WR in the NFL.

And I could very well be wrong. I watched a handful of games from Deebo, but he showed more refinement at Senior Bowl practices than I was aware of from the games I watched.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I'm just giving you a hard time. You'd already spoke your peace on Deebo. 

I know.

I owe him another look, though. Probably after the Combine. Trying to get preliminaries on as many guys as I can right now, so I can do a pre-Combine mock. I'm running out of time...

• Like 1

As always PFF graded every player on every rep during Senior Bowl practices and the game. Here's a video about it:

Standout players from practices:

Chuma Edoga, OT, USC

Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State

Andy Isabella, WR, UMass

Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State

Drew Lock, QB, Missouri

Donald Parham, TE, Stetson

Parham is a new name for me. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2019 at 7:35 AM, stitches said:

As always PFF graded every player on every rep during Senior Bowl practices and the game. Here's a video about it:

Standout players from practices:

Chuma Edoga, OT, USC

Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State

Andy Isabella, WR, UMass

Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State

Drew Lock, QB, Missouri

Donald Parham, TE, Stetson

Parham is a new name for me. 

All the other analysts seem to think Oruwariye had a bad week. Wonder what they saw. This is why you always take PFF with a grain of salt.