Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's wins vs Belichick seem a lot more impressive now

CR91

15 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i agree and i dont think its entitlement.  making the playoffs in itself isnt that special either to me.  i dont throw a big party or anything when teams i root for get in.  

look at the texans this year, they won the division, made the playoffs and did nothing, big deal right?  the jaguars made the afc title game last year, that feels like a long time ago now, and i would laugh at their fans for bringing that up.  hang a banner lol

i enjoyed this season in the moment, but in the long run if its not a super bowl win im not going to look back and think much of it.  i dont expect everyone to agree, but making the afc title game 5 years ago doesnt mean much to me now

Colts fans have been spoiled. Ask a Browns fan if they would be excited, or a Lions fan. The last 2 decades have been very good for the Colts. I remember when I was a kid and the popular punchline for the Colts was "C.ount O.L.osing T.his S.unday". Making the playoffs and having a shot at a Super Bowl is nothing to roll your eyes or say "meh, no biggie". Sports are typically cyclical and sustained winning is hard to do. Enjoy winning and playoffs because there is no guarantee it will continue. Just my :2c:.

14 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Colts fans have been spoiled. Ask a Browns fan if they would be excited, or a Lions fan. The last 2 decades have been very good for the Colts. I remember when I was a kid and the popular punchline for the Colts was "C.ount O.L.osing T.his S.unday". Making the appearances  pill continue. Just my :2c:.

i enjoy a playoff appearance in the moment, but i wont look back on it later. im also a pacer fan and they have many playoff appearances but not much to show for it, at least not in the last 40 years

i hate to say it, but i dont think patriots fans were out of line for making fun of us hanging that banner.  i probably would have done that too if the roles were reversed tbh 

4 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I can understand that. I can't remember every playoff appearance myself, but after the 80's and 90's I do appreciate making the playoffs.

I'm an Atlanta Braves fan as well as a Colt fan, and I had to grow up with the same exact thing from both teams. Win the division every year, lose in the playoffs. One world series win, one SB win in 20 years. Absolutely frustrating and underachieving for two teams. I went through it double anyone here. That's why it makes me mad personally. It's starting again for the Braves, and it's like that right now for the Colts just like the Manning days. I guess I envy the Pats in some ways.

56 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i agree and i dont think its entitlement.  making the playoffs in itself isnt that special either to me.  i dont throw a big party or anything when teams i root for get in.  

look at the texans this year, they won the division, made the playoffs and did nothing, big deal right?  the jaguars made the afc title game last year, that feels like a long time ago now, and i would laugh at their fans for bringing that up.  hang a banner lol

i enjoyed this season in the moment, but in the long run if its not a super bowl win im not going to look back and think much of it.  i dont expect everyone to agree, but making the afc title game 5 years ago doesnt mean much to me now

I am not content by no means. I get the goal is to win the SB but anytime your team makes the Divisional Round that is a good season. Once you get to the Final 8 anything can happen. Luck has made 3 Divisional Rounds and a AFC Title Game = good. I want to win the SB every year but that is impossible, even the Patriots went from 2005-2013 seasons without winning a SB. I sort of think some of our fans aren't realistic at times and feel entitled. We have the 2nd most Regular Season wins over the last 20 seasons (1999-2018), have made 11 Divisional Rounds, 4 AFC Title Games, 2 SBs, and won a SB. Yet people still complain lmao . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not content by no means. I get the goal is to win the SB but anytime your team makes the Divisional Round that is a good season. Once you get to the Final 8 anything can happen. Luck has made 3 Divisional Rounds and a AFC Title Game = good. I want to win the SB every year but that is impossible, even the Patriots went from 2005-2013 seasons without winning a SB. I sort of think some of our fans aren't realistic at times and feel entitled. We have the 2nd most Regular Season wins over the last 20 seasons (1999-2018), have made 11 Divisional Rounds, 4 AFC Title Games, 2 SBs, and won a SB. Yet people still complain lmao . 

I think we all understand the bolded accomplishments. However, when we have the Peyton Vs Brady rivalry that was big for 15 years here, and we came out on the short stick so much in the postseason, it ended up affecting us in a negative way. At worst, Peyton is a top 3 QB of all time. The number of postseason losses we endured was heartbreaking, and seeing them accomplish so much made it double. In the end, Peyton made two SB's for us in 15 years and won 1, and that's going to be the main thing most people remember. Brady has now made 9 SB's as a Pat and is currently 5-3 with a chance to win 6. We were their stepping stone for the most part. I'm a bit underwhelmed as a Colt fan. Luck hasn't been much better either, but that's another discussion.

18 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm an Atlanta Braves fan as well as a Colt fan, and I had to grow up with the same exact thing from both teams. Win the division every year, lose in the playoffs. One world series win, one SB win in 20 years. Absolutely frustrating and underachieving for two teams. I went through it double anyone here. That's why it makes me mad personally. It's starting again for the Braves, and it's like that right now for the Colts just like the Manning days. I guess I envy the Pats in some ways.

That is the thing, most people look at things like why can't we be a dynasty or why haven't we done what the Patriots have done? What the Patriots have done has never happened and being a dynasty is rare. I take the good with the bad, imagine being a Chiefs fan over the last 20 seasons? Imagine being a Bills fan from 1990-1993 making 4 straight SB's and losing all of them and never winning 1 with Kelly. Imagine being a Dolphins fan and a huge Marino fan. I am extremely happy with what we have accomplished over the last 20 seasons when I look at that side of it. There have been some damn good teams that never won a SB, Chargers are another one with Fouts and Rivers both.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is the thing, most people look at things like why can't we be a dynasty or why haven't we done what the Patriots have done? What the Patriots has ever happened and being a dynasty is rare. I take the good with the bad, imagine being a Chiefs fan over the last 20 seasons? Imagine being a Bills fan from 1990-1993 making 4 straight SB's and losing all of them and never winning 1 with Kelly. Imagine being a Dolphins fan and a huge Marino fan. I am extremely happy with what we have accomplished over the last 20 seasons when I look at that side of it. There have been some damn good teams that never won a SB, Chargers are another one with Fouts and Rivers both.

I look at it like that because we've had Manning and Luck and did the minimum. If we would have drafted Leaf or RGIII and we were bad, I would have low expectations and wouldn't be upset. I'm disappointed because we did it with the quality QBs we had. I expected more from Manning in his Colt days, and expect more from Luck now. Mahomes is also the new Brady, and he's going to be a major obstacle to overcome to win the SB. I just feel we're going to be lucky to win a SB with Luck and it's frustrating as a fan when we hit the jackpot on another great QB and it may not work out.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I look at it like that because we've had Manning and Luck and did the minimum. If we would have drafted Leaf or RGIII and we were bad, I would have low expectations and wouldn't be upset. I'm disappointed because we did it with the quality QBs we had. I expected more from Manning in his Colt days, and expect more from Luck now. Mahomes is also the new Brady, and he's going to be a major obstacle to overcome to win the SB. I just feel we're going to be lucky to win a SB with Luck and it's frustrating as a fan when we hit the jackpot on another great QB and it may not work out.

I still have the mindset that I take the good with the bad. We have had way more good than bad over the last 20 seasons. That is going back 2 decades. Of course I am not happy with the fact we have only won 1 SB. Peyton should have 2 or 3 with us but we did get 1 and plenty of other big wins. Luck still has plenty of time and this season was very unexpectedly good making the Final 8. Mahomes is tough but we will have a much better team next season IMO.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still have the mindset that I take the good with the bad. We have had way more good than bad over the last 20 seasons. That is going back 2 decades. Of course I am not happy with the fact we have only won 1 SB. Peyton should have 2 or 3 with us but we did get 1 and plenty of other big wins. Luck still has plenty of time and this season was very unexpectedly good making the Final 8. Mahomes is tough but we will have a much better team next season IMO.

Ballard just has to keep hitting on FA and the draft and we'll have a chance. Last year's draft really got me into it. Hopefully, this year will be close to that. I just need a reason to be excited. I'm 31 and it's starting to wear on me a bit. I need betting, fantasy football, and gambling to help football be exciting. Please Andrew, defeat the Chiefs or Pats next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard just has to keep hitting on FA and the draft and we'll have a chance. Last year's draft really got me into it. Hopefully, this year will be close to that. I just need a reason to be excited. I'm 31 and it's starting to wear on me a bit. I need betting, fantasy football, and gambling to help football be exciting. Please Andrew, defeat the Chiefs or Pats next year.

I could see us and the Chiefs in the AFC Title Game next year. I know there is still the Pats but sooner or later they are going to lose in the Divisional Round. If Ballard nails this draft, look out. 

• Like 1

My mind is blown that people can look at the last 2 decades of Indianapolis Colts football and think we've underachieved or weren't successful. To me it just shows how little understanding some fans have at the sheer difficulty of winning a championship and winning at an elite level. Over a third of the league has never won a single Super Bowl. Ask the fanbases of the Cardinals, Falcons, Bills, Panthers, Bengals, Browns, Lions, Texans, Jags, Chargers, Vikings, and Titans if they would trade their last 20 years for ours. I guarantee you every single one would in a heartbeat! I want to win the Super Bowl every year, but I understand that only 1 team wins it every year. The Colts have nothing to be ashamed of. Sure there were disappointing losses along the way. That's how sports works. 

I did literally Laugh Out Loud when I read that Jared was frustrated with the winning of the Colts and Braves without the titles. I understand you are younger than me but man you should have been a Colts fan when I was a kid and we had QB's like Jack Trudeau, Gary Hogeboom, Mike Pagel, and Jeff George. Talk to me about disappointment when you've suffered like that. I'm also a Chicago Cubs fan. Imagine the pain I felt every year seeing Greg Maddux pitching in the playoffs while my team was at home. My team has 1 World Series appearance in my lifetime. When the Cubs won the World Series, I cried because my team was finally champions. Enjoy the winning because it isn't guaranteed!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

My mind is blown that people can look at the last 2 decades of Indianapolis Colts football and think we've underachieved or weren't successful. To me it just shows how little understanding some fans have at the sheer difficulty of winning a championship and winning at an elite level. Over a third of the league has never won a single Super Bowl. Ask the fanbases of the Cardinals, Falcons, Bills, Panthers, Bengals, Browns, Lions, Texans, Jags, Chargers, Vikings, and Titans if they would trade their last 20 years for ours. I guarantee you every single one would in a heartbeat! I want to win the Super Bowl every year, but I understand that only 1 team wins it every year. The Colts have nothing to be ashamed of. Sure there were disappointing losses along the way. That's how sports works. 

I did literally Laugh Out Loud when I read that Jared was frustrated with the winning of the Colts and Braves without the titles. I understand you are younger than me but man you should have been a Colts fan when I was a kid and we had QB's like Jack Trudeau, Gary Hogeboom, Mike Pagel, and Jeff George. Talk to me about disappointment when you've suffered like that. I'm also a Chicago Cubs fan. Imagine the pain I felt every year seeing Greg Maddux pitching in the playoffs while my team was at home. My team has 1 World Series appearance in my lifetime. When the Cubs won the World Series, I cried because my team was finally champions. Enjoy the winning because it isn't guaranteed!

I am huge Cubs fan too :thmup:, have been since that 1984 Season they had where they should've made the WS. I waited 32 seasons for them to win a WS and when they won I fell to the ground in tears when Bryant threw the final out to Rizzo in 2016.

-Regarding the Colts, I agree the last 2 decades we have 11 Divisional Round apps, 4 AFC Title Apps, 2 SB apps, and the SB win = very good at worse. Maybe not great because we only won 1 SB but I will take very good over a 20 year span anyday as long as we win at least one Championship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I just need a reason to be excited. I'm 31 and it's starting to wear on me a bit.

This is such a foreign concept to me.  I guess some people aren't really a fan of the sport.  They're just a fan of a player or a team, and if that player or team aren't good enough, then they're not a fan anymore.

A true fan is excited no matter what.  I have college teams that I root for that have never won a national championship or been ranked #1.  I have high school teams that I root for that have never won a state championship.  I root for bad teams year in and year out.

I love football.  I love everything about it.  I get excited just about tailgating and team chants and fight songs and rivalry games.  The NFL is just the biggest stage of football with the most parity where your team is one of 32 and has a good chance at success every year.  But success isn't what makes football exciting.  Football is exciting to a true fan no matter what.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Fairweather

Bandwagon

Frontrunner

I can even go back 25 seasons (1994-2018), that is a Qtr of a century :funny:, we still have the 2nd most wins Regular Season wins out of any team, 11 Divisional Round apps, 5 AFC Title Game apps because we made one with Harbaugh in 1995, 2 SBs apps, and a SB win. If Ballard nails the Draft, we may win it all next season, it would not shock me but Luck has to stay healthy :thmup:. Luck was impressive this season getting us to the Divisional Round, KC just had a better team and HFA.

• Like 1

The fact still remains that PM has 2 rings (1 Colt, 1 Bronco) compared to TB 5. I’m not sure how 2 is more impressive than 5. BTW You play to win the game. The big game “Super Bowl” at that. You can be salty that the pats cheated. But they aren’t returning their rings.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can even go back 25 seasons (1994-2018), that is a Qtr of a century :funny:

I remember being a kid in the 90's and getting a Colts hat signed at Training Camp by players on a losing Colts team.

The team losing didn't make me any less of a fan.

I still have that hat.  :hat:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I want to win the Super Bowl every year, but I understand that only 1 team wins it every year. The Colts have nothing to be ashamed of. Sure there were disappointing losses along the way. That's how sports works. 

I get being frustrated, being disappointed, thinking we left some opportunities on the field, etc. 

I don't get the thinking that, as a fan, you're owed a certain level of performance or success. As fans, we get entertainment. If you don't like the product, vote with your dollars (or eyeballs). That's about it. We're not owed anything.

Specific to the Colts, they've had three losing seasons in the last 20 years, and the two most recent (in the last eight years) were due in large part to the star QB missing the entire season. The Colts have only missed the playoffs four times in the last 17 seasons; there are teams that haven't been in the playoffs more than once in the last 17 seasons. We've been to the SB twice in the last 13 seasons, and there are teams that haven't been to the SB since the '60s. 

The Colts are in the top 25% of the NFL in terms of overall success over the last decade and a half. Easily.

I'm not satisfied with coming up short, I'm not handing out participation trophies or anything like that. But like you said, sports requires comes with no guarantee, except that every team but one will be disappointed at the end of the season. 

What we're talking about goes beyond feeling let down, frustrated, disappointed, etc. We're talking about spoiled brat-level entitlement, which is laugh-out-loud ridiculous.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I remember being a kid in the 90's and getting a Colts hat signed at Training Camp by players on a losing Colts team.

The team losing didn't make me any less of a fan.

I still have that hat.  :hat:

I went through Art Schlichter, Mike Pagel, Jack Trudeau, and Jeff George before Harbaugh came along. I got Harbaugh's autograph at the Chargers game back in 1996. Other than 1987 the 80's were rough and early 90's were rough. Dickerson was a God in 87 and 88. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

The fact still remains that PM has 2 rings (1 Colt, 1 Bronco) compared to TB 5. I’m not sure how 2 is more impressive than 5. BTW You play to win the game. The big game “Super Bowl” at that. You can be salty that the pats cheated. But they aren’t returning their rings.

5 is better than 2 but Peyton did it with 2 different teams, can Brady win without BB? That is the million dollar question. Peyton won a SB with Kubiak lmao 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I get being frustrated, being disappointed, thinking we left some opportunities on the field, etc. 

I don't get the thinking that, as a fan, you're owed a certain level of performance or success. As fans, we get entertainment. If you don't like the product, vote with your dollars (or eyeballs). That's about it. We're not owed anything.

Specific to the Colts, they've had three losing seasons in the last 20 years, and the two most recent (in the last eight years) were due in large part to the star QB missing the entire season. The Colts have only missed the playoffs four times in the last 17 seasons; there are teams that haven't been in the playoffs more than once in the last 17 seasons. We've been to the SB twice in the last 13 seasons, and there are teams that haven't been to the SB since the '60s. 

The Colts are in the top 25% of the NFL in terms of overall success over the last decade and a half. Easily.

I'm not satisfied with coming up short, I'm not handing out participation trophies or anything like that. But like you said, sports requires comes with no guarantee, except that every team but one will be disappointed at the end of the season. 

What we're talking about goes beyond feeling let down, frustrated, disappointed, etc. We're talking about spoiled brat-level entitlement, which is laugh-out-loud ridiculous.

This ^

the thread is going in few different directions

personally a final four appearance five years ago doesnt mean much to me now.  if i were a jaguars fan i wouldnt be talking about making it last year either.  i will always think highly of a super bowl win, but just playoff appearances are not necessarily special to me in the long run with a few exceptions 

when reggie miller scored all those points in 20 seconds to beat the knicks, that was special.  losing  in the first round year after year to lebron wasnt so much

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the thread is going in few different directions

personally a final four appearance five years ago doesnt mean much to me now.  if i were a jaguars fan i wouldnt be talking about making it last year either.  i will always think highly of a super bowl win, but just playoff appearances are not necessarily special to me in the long run with a few exceptions 

when reggie miller scored all those points in 20 seconds to beat the knicks, that was special.  losing  in the first round year after year to lebron wasnt so much

Jags should hang their hat high on making the Final 4, that is tough to do unless you are the Pats. Pats are just that 1 team that are on a different level. That should not be held against us. We did beat them in 2006 at least, they usually beat everybody so no shame in losing to them. Mahomes who threw 50 TD's and 5000 Yards even had HFA and guess what, KC lost to them. The Pats are Big Ben's daddy too.

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

personally a final four appearance five years ago doesnt mean much to me now.

It does to me.

I still remember the feeling after going into Denver in the Divisional Round and beating the 2nd seed Broncos led by Peyton Manning to get to the AFCCG in New England against the 1st seed Patriots led by Tom Brady.

That was huge.  It was a monumental moment that put Andrew up there with Peyton and Tom for a week.  And it's still special to me.  :thmup:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It does to me.

I still remember the feeling after going into Denver in the Divisional Round and beating the 2nd seed Broncos led by Peyton Manning to get to the AFCCG in New England against the 1st seed Patriots led by Tom Brady.

That was huge.  It was a monumental moment that put Andrew up there with Peyton and Tom for a week.  And it's still special to me.  :thmup:

Me too, in 95 when Harbaugh made the Final 4 that was soo great for the fans here. I remember we had 1000's of people waiting at the Indy airport after beating KC in 95 in the Divisional Round. Something I will never forget. Andrew taking down Von Miller and Peyton in Mile High was huge in 2014, people that can't appreciate that has me mind boggled.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Me too, in 95 when Harbaugh made the Final 4 that was soo great for the fans here. I remember we had 1000's of people waiting at the Indy airport after beating KC in 95 in the Divisional Round. Something I will never forget. Andrew taking down Von Miller and Peyton in Mile High was huge in 2014, people that can't appreciate that has me mind boggled.

i agree about 95, that was the first time the indy colts felt like a title contender, and we legitimately could have won that year

2014 to me felt like we had little chance to beat the patriots and just doesnt stick with me anymore.  the outcome of the game is probably a factor too that im trying to forget

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew taking down Von Miller and Peyton in Mile High was huge in 2014, people that can;t appreciate that has me mind boggled.

The only downside is that we may have prevented Manning from beating the Pats in the AFCCG.

Maybe Peyton goes to the SB and gets revenge on the Seahawks.  Maybe Peyton goes to 3 SBs in a row, winning 2 in a row before retiring (out-Elwaying Elway), for a total of 3 SB wins...

:thinking:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i agree about 95, that was the first time the indy colts felt like a title contender, and we legitimately could have won that year

2014 to me felt like we had little chance to beat the patriots and just doesnt stick with me anymore.  the outcome of the game is probably a factor too that im trying to forget

We got smoked but at least we made it that far. That Pats team is one of the best teams of all-time, so losing to them isn't a shame. JMO

What stands out about the Pats is all the other teams that like the Texans or Cowboys that can't seem to get to the SB despite their talent and record. They prove how hard it is to win it all in the NFL much less win it all like the Pats have done. There was talk the past weeks that should the Pats win again the number of viewers for the SB would be down. I agree that it is aggravating but how can anyone turn away from their remarkable success. I'll watch and scratch my head should they pull it off again. 

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew taking down Von Miller and Peyton in Mile High was huge in 2014, people that can't appreciate that has me mind boggled.

That was huge. However, I don't know what was going on with the Broncos around then. John Fox to the Bears was leaked that morning. Del Rio was on his way to the Raiders and Gase was wondering about his future. Clearly, they were not on the same page on the field that day either.