Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: NFL might revise rules to allow challenging pass interference calls.

ReMeDy

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-nfl-might-consider-allowing-reviews-pass-interference-saints-fiasco-173552996.html

Bill Belichick has said he believes any call should be challengeable, but at the very least the NFL will look into challenging pass interference.

I know some pass interference calls are questionable, but good lord that Saints one was so blatantly pass interference that it was laughable. The defender's head wasn't turned to the football, the ball was in range of the receiver, and the defender straight up shoved the guy off his route well beyond the 5-yd marker.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-nfl-might-consider-allowing-reviews-pass-interference-saints-fiasco-173552996.html

Bill Belichick has said he believes any call should be challengeable, but at the very least the NFL will look into challenging pass interference.

I know some pass interference calls are questionable, but good lord that Saints one was so blatantly pass interference that it was laughable. The defender's head wasn't turned to the football, the ball was in range of the receiver, and the defender straight up shoved the guy off his route well beyond the 5-yd marker.

But other than THAT Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?

44 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Maybe we should ask Bill about roughing the passer?  Maybe that should be challengeable?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t see how this would even work. Some refs let the ticky tacky stuff go others call everything. This ref missed what could of been three penalties on this one play. You can’t review every PI call. In a way it’s a judgement call.

Sure maybe you could use a challenge flag if they let them I guess. But what happens when they review it. Will something tiny be called or will it have to be obvious. I just don’t see it.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe we should ask Bill about roughing the passer?  Maybe that should be challengeable?

Exactly and then the PI that was missed would have been called giving the Pats 15 to 20 more yards than that silly roughing the passer. Lol so many people forget how the Pats WR was being mauled the entire time and no flag was thrown..

18 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Exactly and then the PI that was missed would have been called giving the Pats 15 to 20 more yards than that silly roughing the passer. Lol so many people forget how the Pats WR was being mauled the entire time and no flag was thrown..

I just find it ironic that Bill Belichick is complaining about the refs.

3 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

He wasn’t he proposed that years ago to be allowed to challenge ANYTHING.

Personally I think the games are too long now. Giving the coach the ability to challenge ANYTHING is not a thing I would care for. The refs make good call and they make bad ones. We sit at our TV and judge them because we have the luxury of big screens in our face and replay after reply from 5 different views. There is a penalty on pretty every play that is snapped.

IMO, leave it alone.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I think the games are too long now. Giving the coach the ability to challenge ANYTHING is not a thing I would care for. The refs make good call and they make bad ones. We sit at our TV and judge them because we have the luxury of big screens in our face and replay after reply from 5 different views. There is a penalty on pretty every play that is snapped.

IMO, leave it alone.

I don’t think he meant endless challenges but I also think he proposed if you were wrong you were penalized like 10 yards or something? Made it like you really really want be sure!!

3 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

I don’t think he meant endless challenges but I also think he proposed if you were wrong you were penalized like 10 yards or something? Made it like you really really want be sure!!

There is no such a thing as a sure thing. The football is not round and it's not a perfect game.

Taking the human element out of the game would make it boring.

Such is the NFL.

I think each team should have 1 challenge available regarding PI's to be reviewed in the last 5 minutes of a game. That would not slow down the game at all and would allow a team in the last 5 minutes to have a challenge in that situation. Things like yesterday would never happen again. PI's are going to be missed and be questionable when called so I say last 5 minutes only and 1 challenge. 

Its tough that the games are getting so long because of replay, but this is the route that the NFL chose to take and you can not go only half way with it, games like yesterday are the result. 

I seriously feel deflated about the NFL in general after the horrible calls or "non calls" in the games yesterday, the refs played pivotal roles in both games, the use of replay has to be allowed to correct their mistakes, in order to prevent what happened to the Saints.

Yes some are going to argue that the Saints didn't play well enough to win but the Rams did not play that well either, and the Saints IMO did enough to win and should have won. 

The Rams CB Peters clearly made a desperation play on Lewis and got unbelievably lucky it was not called, in turn sent the Rams to the SB. I can't imagine what it feels like to be a Saints fan or part of the organization right now.

36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is no such a thing as a sure thing. The football is not round and it's not a perfect game.

Taking the human element out of the game would make it boring.

Such is the NFL.

No I meant he wanted make being wrong on your challenge you get penalized.. meaning coaches aren’t throwing that flag unless it’s a blatant miss call like yesterday.

13 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

No I meant he wanted make being wrong on your challenge you get penalized.. meaning coaches aren’t throwing that flag unless it’s a blatant miss call like yesterday.

I guess he can take it up with Kraft. Kraft is one of 32 owners so he can plead it in the owners meeting.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Yes some are going to argue that the Saints didn't play well enough to win

It's entirely irrelevant, I don't understand why people feel that's a good argument to make. Whether one team or the other "deserves" to win is not the point. 

If there's a mechanism for correcting wrong calls -- and there is, it's called replay -- it should be employed. It's not about the outcome of the game, it's about the quality of the officiating. Whether the score is 45-10 or 21-20, you can't have bad officiating.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I think they should give each team one blue penalty challenge flag per game that can be used on any call/no call

I would say one per half, and they can automatically review any penalty in the last 2 minutes of each half. That would effectively eliminate the refs power to change games with poor penalties.

9 hours ago, BOTT said:

They should allow each team one challenge per half and that's it. No more automatic reviews or any of that crap.  Games are long enough as it is.

It won't increase the time. Three challenges are still three challenges, regardless of what you're challenging. There's more commercial timeouts than anything.

1 minute ago, Narcosys said:

Won't happen.

I know, and that's why I believe games are rigged. I don't expect robot refs, but until you offer the option to challenge their penalty flags, I will always be of the opinion that these games are an inside job. The more and more this type of thing keeps happening, the more the public will wise up to it, and the more likely there is some type of leak by a retired ref on the process in the future. The only reason I believe it hasn't been leaked already is that there would be a hit on any ref who revealed details on what's going on, so they keep quiet.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I know, and that's why I believe games are rigged. I don't expect robot refs, but until you offer the option to challenge their penalty flags, I will always be of the opinion that these games are an inside job. The more and more this type of thing keeps happening, the more the public will wise up to it, and the more likely there is some type of leak by a retired ref on the process in the future. The only reason I believe it hasn't been leaked already is that there would be a hit on any ref who revealed details on what's going on, so they keep quiet.

Powerful NDAs are all you need. Who would want to be on the hook to repay the NFL for billions?

5 minutes ago, King Colt said:

It can't be said in the media for fear of the impact but to miss that PI call smells real, real bad to the point I don't believe the play was missed but ignored.

Two refs were there with two drastically different angles. It was ignored

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t see how this would even work. Some refs let the ticky tacky stuff go others call everything. This ref missed what could of been three penalties on this one play. You can’t review every PI call. In a way it’s a judgement call.

Sure maybe you could use a challenge flag if they let them I guess. But what happens when they review it. Will something tiny be called or will it have to be obvious. I just don’t see it.

CFL has been reviewing PI calls for a few years now and it seems to not be an issue. Follows similar rules for challenges, in that it usually has to be obvious to overturn the original call. If its called PI on the field it has to be obvious that it wasnt to overturn it, and vice versa. 

14 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

... at the very least the NFL will look into challenging pass interference.

I know some pass interference calls are questionable, but good lord that Saints one was so blatantly pass interference that it was laughable.

Wording.  How can a P.I. that was not called be challenged/reviewed?  Officially, it's just a play. (That should have had a penalty called, but did not).

9 hours ago, Superman said:

The purpose of replay is to 'get it right,' to whatever extent that's possible. When it's blatantly wrong, there should be a way to use replay to get it right. 

Exactly.  OTIH, we have top be mindful how to go about it.  Letting coaches toss out a red flag whenever they feel wronged (call made or not made) just may not be it.

Technology has increased enormously (fans at home with massive OLED Ultra 4K HD panels and multiple HD slo-mo replay camera angles.  The  Players are faster and stronger than ever yet Refs are still watching and calling in real time.  It might be time to add another Ref to each team, but he is in a booth with the technology and control of it at his fingertips.  He can 'buzz' in to Head Referee on blatant missed calls for Ref team discussion/review, possibly with NY involved.  On other calls, where refs converge to discuss before ruling, he is included via radio and can supply a 'replay type' heads up without resorting to coaches challenges and subsequent NY replay review. (of course those can still happen, and keep current rules for that)

Point is use technology to help the officiating crews, yet do it with as few multiple long interruptions as possible, by whatever means necessary.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would say one per half, and they can automatically review any penalty in the last 2 minutes of each half. That would effectively eliminate the refs power to change games with poor penalties.

Need details of how to implement this. Otherwise, you are just taking the judgement of one person and substituting it with the judgement of another.  Might work for obvious calls, but so many are the 'debatable' less obvious type.

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

It can't be said in the media for fear of the impact but to miss that PI call smells real, real bad to the point I don't believe the play was missed but ignored.

Fans and media are not void of creating some of this.  Fans/Media cry all season about 'ticky tack' DPI calls.  (How can cornerbacks defend? Let the players play! - they demand) As the season progresses, refs let more slide.  By playoffs, they do not want to be 'the one' who decided a big game at the end because of yellow laundry, so they let them play.  There were other DPI plays not called earlier in that game too, so it was not an inconsistency issue either.

Mike Pereira, Dean Blandino, and Al Riveron  have never and do not  'teach this 'let them play' stance to the refs for any game. Big or small. Yet I see it every year by seasons end.

No matter this is ultimately addressed, there will be unexpected and unintended consequences to go along with it.  2 steps forward, one step back.  We'll see.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Need details of how to implement this. Otherwise, you are just taking the judgement of one person and substituting it with the judgement of another.  Might work for obvious calls, but so many are the 'debatable' less obvious type.

I would send any call that challenges a penalty to New York, to Gene Saratore, or whatever his name is. Take it out of the power of the officials on the field, and send it to the top guy. Let him make the final decision, send it back to the officials, and they announce it on the field.

19 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would send any call that challenges a penalty to New York, to Gene Saratore, or whatever his name is. Take it out of the power of the officials on the field, and send it to the top guy. Let him make the final decision, send it back to the officials, and they announce it on the field.

Who challenges the penalty? 

(Please don't say HC)

I think it should be another ref, but one located in a booth at the stadium with multiple HD screens around him and direct connect wireless headset to head Ref on the field.  Get NY involved only on red challenge flags.

And Alberto (Al) Riveron is head honcho (Senior VP of officiating) in New York and has final say. He has help from Wayne Mackie, the league’s vice president of officiating evaluation and development, and Russell Yurk, the league’s vice president of instant replay and administration, when needed.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Who challenges the penalty? 

(Please don't say HC)

I think it should be another ref, but one located in a booth at the stadium with multiple HD screens around him and direct connect wireless headset to head Ref on the field.  Get NY involved only on red challenge flags.

I think the one penalty per half would have to be the HC. The "within" two minutes would be a booth review. I like your idea though with the penalty flag challenges.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think the one penalty per half would have to be the HC. The "within" two minutes would be a booth review. I like your idea though with the penalty flag challenges.

Ok, we differ slightly.  I think no penalty (Call/Non Call) should be a Coaches Challenge.  They should all (not just last 2 minutes) be booth review, but at the stadium and not by Riveron in NY. Riveron should just do Coaches (red flag) challenges.

• Like 1

It should not be done with a flag thrown by the HC (once per half for example), because once you use up your flag, an even more blatant mistake can happen later or the defense can play more aggressive because they know that the flag had already been thrown previously and their opponent can't throw another one, etc. It needs to be treated like a turnover and have them all reviewed by a central office. That also should include all potential personal fouls, such as roughing the passer/kicker, hands to the face, etc. as well as PI.

it should be pretty simple to review a PI call or non call.  its much harder to review a catch or fumble recovery and we do that now

there is nothing difficult about looking at a replay to see if the defender hit the receiver mid route 

After the Triplette disasters, calls and challenges had to be confirmed offsite by the NFL GameDay Central. If GameDay Central sees an obviously blown penalty call (or no-call), they can merely buzz the ref and call a replay after the end of the play in which the penalty occurred, but before the next snap. Would it slow the game down a little? Yes, but there are already many commercials that can hide the time it takes to make the right call.

I think what people hate is when the refs affect the outcome of the game with either a bad call or no-call.

6 hours ago, King Colt said:

For once you and I seem to be in agreement (that it was ignored)

However, it has been one of the biggest media stories in the past two days now, and I don't know what the answer is, but it is clear to me that most of the viewing public, including other players, commentators, even the NFL itself, believe this "missed" or "ignored"  play  cost the Saints their trip to the SB.