Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you have had confidence in Vinny hitting that 57yrd fg The Rams made

GusFring

50 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Well, I have to admit, the post, playoff run finger pointing is not as bad this year as it has been in the past when the season ended. 

In all, it seems quite chipper! 

Yeah you will always have a few negative Nancy’s who can’t handle losing but I think most understand this team way over achieved this year and are looking forward to the future.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Yes.

I’ve learned not to doubt Mr. V when it comes to clutch kicks, especially in the playoffs. To be fair though I would have a little more confidence in someone like Justin Tucker.

The same playoffs where he missed kicks against the Chiefs?

FG    PCT    LONG    XP    PTS
Adam Vinatieri    0/1    0.0          0         1/2    1

Im a little confused by not just your view point, but many that are die hards, but dont want to get better in positions of weakness. Vinny even missed a simple XP when we needed every pt possible? Not to mention FS Hooker was out, and his backup. I dont even know where Geathers was. JBH. But to the topic, Vinny isnt automatic antmore, besides that came, there were times throughout the season, Vinny had missed simple kicks as well.

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Im a little confused by not just your view point, but many that are die hards, but dont want to get better in positions of weakness. Vinny even missed a simple XP when we needed every pt possible? Not to mention FS Hooker was out, and his backup. I dont even know where Geathers was. JBH. But to the topic, Vinny isnt automatic antmore, besides that came, there were times throughout the season, Vinny had missed simple kicks as well.

Way to use selective stats... smdh

I like how you just ignore the post where Vinny made a better percentage of kicks this year than Zeurlein...

Vinnys' stats compared to previous years (when the XP was from the 2, not the 25) are worse, but so are every other kickers.  Compared to other kickers, Vinny is still better than most kickers in the league.  HELLO!?!

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Way to use selective stats... smdh

I like how you just ignore the post where Vinny made a better percentage of kicks this year than Zeurlein...

Vinnys' stats compared to previous years (when the XP was from the 2, not the 25) are worse, but so are every other kickers.  Compared to other kickers, Vinny is still better than most kickers in the league.  HELLO!?!

Based on recent events, He is more likely done, than having a resurgence. 

1 point though? You want to go for it again when he has only made 1 point? I'd rather go for a 4th and 1 then try that failed experiment again X2 or X3.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

Based on recent events, He is more likely done, than having a resurgence. 

1 point though? You want to go for it again when he has only made 1 point? I'd rather go for a 4th and 1 then try that failed experiment again X2 or X3.

Again, you're using the stats from one game to try and make an overall comparison, and that's wrong.

If your point was just "he had a bad game", you'd be right.

But if your point is "Vinny needs to be replaced", then you need to compare ALL of his stats from the whole year to the yearlong stats of ALL the other kickers.  And you're not doing that.  So either change your point or change the stats you're using.  Thanks.

I haven't read through all the comments, but to answer the question; I'd have as much confidence in Vinny hitting that as any other kicker. Realistically beyond 50 yards is pretty much a crapshoot. But you definitely feel more confident in long field goals when you have a Tucker or Zurlein.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Again, you're using the stats from one game to try and make an overall comparison, and that's wrong.

If your point was just "he had a bad game", you'd be right.

But if your point is "Vinny needs to be replaced", then you need to compare ALL of his stats from the whole year to the yearlong stats of ALL the other kickers.  And you're not doing that.  So either change your point or change the stats you're using.  Thanks.

You dont like when someone has a difference of opinion do you? I think Vinny is done. If you are a Vinny fan then so be it. But if you are a Colts fan and want the team to move a couple steps closer to the Superbowl, If that involves upgrading the K position, then whats the prob? Oh you have a thang for Vinny, I forgot. smh With that mindset, Thats how pagano stuck around 1 year longer than he should.

Not here for likes, but for truth.

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I think Vinny is done. But if you are a Colts fan and want the team to move a couple steps closer to the Superbowl, If that involves upgrading the K position, then whats the prob?

Fair enough.  I know we'll have to try to upgrade the position when we move on from Vinny.

But we want to make sure it's an UPGRADE, right?  We can't dump him without a replacement just because you think he's "done".

So what free agent or college K would be an AVAILABLE upgrade this offseason?  And why would that player be an upgrade over Vinny?

As most have said, indoors, yes.  Didn't he kick a 56 yarder with plenty to spare at home?  And those pointing to the Zeurlein kick, it was also indoors. Outdoors, particularly in the cold weather of the Chefs game, no way.  But I wouldn't expect ANY kicker to hit one from there in those conditions.

11 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

You dont like when someone has a difference of opinion do you? I think Vinny is done. If you are a Vinny fan then so be it. But if you are a Colts fan and want the team to move a couple steps closer to the Superbowl, If that involves upgrading the K position, then whats the prob? Oh you have a thang for Vinny, I forgot. smh With that mindset, Thats how pagano stuck around 1 year longer than he should.

Not here for likes, but for truth.

Truth requires more proof than one score box from one game. Fine you’re opinion is he’s done, but don’t state it as an absolute and make out people are stupid for disagreeing when you’ve not provided a very good supporting argument. 

Lose the attitude and being something constructive to the conversation.

7 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

As most have said, indoors, yes.  Didn't he kick a 56 yarder with plenty to spare at home?  And those pointing to the Zeurlein kick, it was also indoors. Outdoors, particularly in the cold weather of the Chefs game, no way.  But I wouldn't expect ANY kicker to hit one from there in those conditions.

I’d argue most kickers have the leg, or they wouldn’t have made it this far. It’s the ability to hold your nerve and execute. Look at Aguayo, great leg, kept fluffing. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 6:30 PM, GusFring said:

Would Frank even call a fg in that spot?

Need to go younger

I'd say there is maybe no one in the league that I'd be 100 percent confident in making a 55 yard or greater FG, especially with the Superbowl on the line.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

AV hit a 53 yarder in the rain in TN. He hit a 54 yarder in NE. He hit a 54 yarder in Houston. He was 4-6 from 50+ this season.

Greg Zuerlein, who is 15 years younger, was also 4-6 from 50+ this season. 

So however confident the Rams were in Zuerlein, that's about how confident I would have been in AV in that same situation. And until AV shows he can't do it anymore, he's the man to try those big kicks for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

really? he was 2 out of 5 from 50-55 this year...  maybe a year or two ago but not based on that. 

I would he hit a 48 yarder in extreme cold on Sunday against the wind.. reg season matters little, it’s when it’s clutch time that I care.

43 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Was in the 3rd quarter and it was 14-7 at the time.. a miss would have been huge..

I stand corrected, I don't know what I was thinking the Pats had a 17-0 lead at half.

Still not clutch.  A game winner in in the regular season is a more clutch situation than a (47 yard officially) FG with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

On 1/21/2019 at 12:24 PM, Rackeen305 said:

Sorry for the late reply, but look at that game compared to the Rams game. One was played in a winter storm where pretty much no one on our team played well, and the other was played in a dome in a warm climate. In the situation of the Saint-Rams game, if Vinny's my kicker, I'll send him out for a 57-yarder. That doesn't means he's my first choice, I'd have more confidence in someone like Tucker or Greg, but I'll take my chances with Vinny. If we get a good kicker to replace Vinny fine, but I don't want to end up like Chicago, releasing a great kicker who's aging for a young guy who dings and donks kicks off the uprights on a clutch kick in a playoff game. Also, was that Chiefs field goal really that clutch of a kick? Even if Vinny made it, we get blown out by three less points; it wasn't a game winner or anything.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:50 AM, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Sorry for the late reply, but look at that game compared to the Rams game. One was played in a winter storm where pretty much no one on our team played well, and the other was played in a dome in a warm climate. In the situation of the Saint-Rams game, if Vinny's my kicker, I'll send him out for a 57-yarder. That doesn't means he's my first choice, I'd have more confidence in someone like Tucker or Greg, but I'll take my chances with Vinny. If we get a good kicker to replace Vinny fine, but I don't want to end up like Chicago, releasing a great kicker who's aging for a young guy who dings and donks kicks off the uprights on a clutch kick in a playoff game. Also, was that Chiefs field goal really that clutch of a kick? Even if Vinny made it, we get blown out by three less points; it wasn't a game winner or anything.

Going into halftime missing a FG is great for the momentum and team moral.