Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you have had confidence in Vinny hitting that 57yrd fg The Rams made

GusFring

1 hour ago, GusFring said:

Tucker and a few others. But that is a great weapon to have. 

Tucker, Gano, Prater, maybe one more. It’s not guaranteed for any, but after some of the field goals I saw from Vinny, maybe it is time to get a younger kicker. I definitely appreciate everything he brought to this team, sucks he has to age. :/

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because the Chiefs stopped it early with Ford and the Colts got too far behind and couldn’t keep drives going.

Our OL is better than the Patriots.  But they are having success.  Just because you stop it early doesn't mean you abandon it.  We were out coached. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Our OL is better than the Patriots.  But they are having success.  Just because you stop it early doesn't mean you abandon it.  We were out coached. 

They didn’t play like it.  The Colts came out running and the Chiefs stuffed it.  The Pats aren’t getting stuffed.  They are driving down the field.  Remember how the Colts went nearly a first half without a first down?  Then they were down 24-7.  The run went out the window at that point because of time and score.  

I am not saying Frank Reich wasn’t out coached but the guys on the field didn’t play well either.  You can’t ignore that just fit your narrative.  The Pats guys are playing much better than the Colts did.

Absolutely not. But you could put a list of the 31 other kickers in front of me and get the same answer. At 57 yards it's way too high of a risk to be confident that anyone would hit it. I might give it a shot, but wouldn't be confident. 

However, I'm still more confident having Vinatieri making kicks than I would be with all but a select few kickers in the NFL. If he wants to come back I'm all for it.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You mean to tell me a guy who has been a head coach for 20 years out coached a rookie head coach?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GusFring said:

Would Frank even call a fg in that spot?

Need to go younger

In a dome, I have 100% confidence in Vinny.  57 yards is a long way for any kicker, but I'd put AV out there with as much confidence as any other kicker from that distance in a dome setting.

1 hour ago, Introspect said:

No chance does AV make that.... Father Time is undefeated. 

The old man is coming fast for AV.... Cut bait

As @Hammer said, Vinny was consistently hitting from 60+ in practice and warm-ups.  Vinny has as good a chance as anyone to make that kick, especially with a good hold in a dome.

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

57 is pretty far, If Vinny is kicking in a dome I would feel great if it was from 50 or so, outside of 55 is always iffy.

Exactly.. no kicker is going to be hitting 55+ yarders consistently.  If the game is on the line, and its in a dome, I trust AV as much as any kicker in the league to take that chance with.

• Like 1

Ahh.....    another Sunday and another nonsensical post from our favorite poster...

Here's how ridiculous it is...

FACT:

Vinnie kicked 4 field goals of longer than 50 yards this year.   51, 53, 54 and 54 yards.   And I'm confident that at least 3 of them would've been good from 60.    They hit up on the screen...  they cleared the cross bar with ease.    I appreciate that ths was so long ago, that some of you can't remember that.     All you can remember is Vinnie's last game.

So,  let's deal with that....

Vinnie was (1)  kicking outdoors...    where (2) it was cold and (3) windy,  and (4) raining and (5) the field conditions were crappy.

Where Zuerlein was (1) kicking indoors...    where (2) it was a comfortable 68-72 degrees and (3) no wind at all, and (4) not windy and (5) the field conditions were....   PERFECT.

That's what the OP compares.   Hardly a fair comparison,  but par for the course with this poster.

Yes,  I'd have complete faith in Vinnie.    And, HELL YES, Frank would have complete faith in Vinnie.     And anyone who says otherwise literally has no idea what they're talking about.

Look....   Vinnie wants to come back and Ballard says he wants him back.   What's left is the contract details.    Vinnie might not make it.    Even with a new contract (approx $2.5 Mill per)  Vinnie could get outplayed by whomever we bring in.    It could happen.    No way to know until the pre-season is done and the final cutdowns are announced.

But would Frank have confidece in Vinnie to kick a 57 yard field goal indoors today?   

Yes.    Simply stated.....   yes.

Can we put this nonsense to rest now?         :facepalm:

• Like 3