Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New England (+3) at Kansas City (1-20-19)

oldunclemark

23 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It's basically the exact same team.    They were just as mentally tough last year.   The Rams are much better than the eagles were last year

Edelman was on IR in 2017. Plus, I don't expect a starting CB like Butler being benched in a SB, and Flores is calling D better than Patricia did.

12 minutes ago, 18to87 said:

Dee Ford won't be able to sleep at night for a while. Interestingly, there are a few tweets going around that the Pats LT was lined up illegally in the backfield. Typical. 

The game was over if it weren't for that penalty :(

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 6:23 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Is Taking the Pats +3 A Lock considering who the Pats are and their history in Big games?

We could find out very soon in game. If KC adopts the Chargers defensive strategy in  last week's game and play Zone and cushion then the Pats will roll to another Super Bowl.

If KC is serious about stopping Brady they will play a similar defensive srategy that the Lions & Titans used against New England. Pressure up the middle with tight man press cover.

I'm going to guess KC's defensive strategy will be similar to the Chargers, I hope I'm wrong tho.

Like I said the game was a Lock. You have a highly probable winner that is getting points. Don't even have to be concerned about covering. Lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

Brady is seriously a bad man in the clutch.

Mahomes though is unreal, really that kid is amazing.

Pats 41-17 is my early prediction, Brady gets #6. Before the season I told you they would make it back. Rams have very little chance in this one. I will not say no chance because anything can happen but I will say 80/20% in favor of the Pats. I just can not picture Goff holding up the :lombardi:. What would be strange is, if Brady did lose he would match Magic Johnson being 5-4 in Championships lmao but winning 5 still rules. Like Magic, Brady has nothing to lose at this point. Brees blew a golden opportunity to get that critical #2 Title, at least Peyton seized his opportunity and got it to join the 2 or more to do it (only 12 have done it). Bogey must be really bummed out that Brees lost at home today and blew that chance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 18to87 said:

Dee Ford won't be able to sleep at night for a while. Interestingly, there are a few tweets going around that the Pats LT was lined up illegally in the backfield. Typical. 

Even if he was, it would have been off setting penalties and no play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jules said:

Brady is seriously a bad man in the clutch.

Mahomes though is unreal, really that kid is amazing.

Mahomes was amazing in the game! I would love to know what Brady said when he went to go see him after the game. (He asked a security guard if he could speak with him outside of their dressing room and they led him to him..)

8 hours ago, 18to87 said:

He will join Lee Evans, Billy Cundiff , and others, in the Bums Hall of Fame, who bailed the Patriots out of a loss. Most refs are also included in this rogue’s HOF, especially the ones that throw flags if you just breathe on Brady for roughing the passer. 

• Like 1

Usually when someone says, "there's always next year," it's because they missed out again, and it's only the fanbase of theindividual team saying that. It's not supposed to be the rest of the country saying that about only one particular team in a league predicated upon parity.

I just can't bring myself to watch. If someone were to put Belicheck in a coma or break Brad's throwing arm, I would feel bad, but not bad enough to enjoy watching a gimp Patriots team.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JimJaime said:

Mahomes was amazing in the game! I would love to know what Brady said when he went to go see him after the game. (He asked a security guard if he could speak with him outside of their dressing room and they led him to him..)

He probably said something like this:

"You may be the new top dawg in town, but as long as I'm around, you will always play second fiddle to me, son; believe that! Now go home, swallow, and digest that "L", then watch me annihilate the Rams in two weeks. I'll show you how to hold that Lombardi trophy for the 6th time, son. They shouldn't have doubted me! Have a good off season...... "

"Oh, yeah... One more thing...."

"Look when you throw, son.... Look when you throw!"

Probably didn't say anything close to that, but I would like to think he did... Haha!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MPStack said:

What do Peyton Manning and P. Mahohmes have in common?

Both threw for 49 or more TDs in a season and got owned by BB in the playoffs.

:funny: 

Mahomes played pretty well. He did not win the game but he played with poise and put his team in position to win. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

:funny: 

Mahomes played pretty well. He did not win the game but he played with poise and put his team in position to win. 

Yeah, that is where I would have liked to have a coach like Arians or a DC like Wade Philips. I am not sitting back with a 28-24 lead without forcing the issue. I am bringing the heat. No risk it or no biscuit. Same thing Jaguars did on that 3rd and 18 in the AFCCG last year when they let a first down completion to Amendola rushing 3 and trying to play coverage. It NEVER works against elite QBs!!!

Giants and Steve Spagnuolos, Ravens and Dean Pees, Broncos and Wade Philips, they mixed it up so well on defense but all of them had their DL provide plenty of pressure on Brady's OL so that he couldn't get comfortable. Chiefs' DL had no creativity instilled by Bob Sutton, whatsoever. Matt Eberflus would have done a better job.

• Like 1

The stats say Mahomes played well, but I didn't think he played that well.  In the first half, he was taking sacks and overthrowing receivers left and right.  In the second half, he got lucky with some screens that went long and some pass interference calls.  Over time, I'm not sure his sandlot style will win consistently, especially in big games.  You can't be that hit or miss.  He was nonexistent for a half.

Can't say Brady played all that well either.  Game should have ended on his 3rd INT.  

The Pats haven't played the McVay Rams.  They played Goff his rookie year with Fisher, but I'm not sure how much you can take from that.  

New England has been terrible at times vs. the run and Wade Philips knows how to get after Brady.  McVay shouldn't get ridiculously outcoached like some do vs. Belichick.  They have a solid chance.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, #12. said:

The stats say Mahomes played well, but I didn't think he played that well.  In the first half, he was taking sacks and overthrowing receivers left and right.  In the second half, he got lucky with some screens that went long and some pass interference calls.  Over time, I'm not sure his sandlot style will win consistently, especially in big games.  You can't be that hit or miss.  He was nonexistent for a half.

Something I noticed about Mahomes...

Very few of the big plays they generate are by design. Almost every play where they had big gainers last night were broken plays. That's not necessarily a knock on him, but when he's sitting in the pocket trying to read the D and go through his progressions, that seemed to be when most of his overthrows occurred. That part of his game needs some work. To some extent he's still getting by on his insane athleticism. 

The Chiefs ended up being a classic high-powered-offense team... high scoring, but with a porous defense. That formula rarely works in the playoffs. 

50 minutes ago, #12. said:

Can't say Brady played all that well either.  Game should have ended on his 3rd INT.  

The Pats haven't played the McVay Rams.  They played Goff his rookie year with Fisher, but I'm not sure how much you can take from that.  

New England has been terrible at times vs. the run and Wade Philips knows how to get after Brady.  McVay shouldn't get ridiculously outcoached like some do vs. Belichick.  They have a solid chance.

It is like that chance for scoring for Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber, alright!!! :) 

21 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Something I noticed about Mahomes...

Very few of the big plays they generate are by design. Almost every play where they had big gainers last night were broken plays. That's not necessarily a knock on him, but when he's sitting in the pocket trying to read the D and go through his progressions, that seemed to be when most of his overthrows occurred. That part of his game needs some work. To some extent he's still getting by on his insane athleticism. 

The Chiefs ended up being a classic high-powered-offense team... high scoring, but with a porous defense. That formula rarely works in the playoffs. 

Mahomes plays a lot like Peyton in his early days, going for 20 plus yard passes instead of checkdowns and that is used against him with the depth of the LBs that Belichick opts to play. He doesn't know how to manage the clock well and hopefully learns like Peyton to do so.

However, none of his pass catchers were generating separation and the story of the game boiled down to 2 things:

a) Predictability of Chiefs' defense that Brady just had to audible to one kill out of 2 calls he made in the huddle, Bob Sutton had no creativity whatsoever

b) Patriots' DL ability to get into Mahomes' face thus making the pocket uncomfortable and pressuring him on 40% of the snaps while Brady was pressued about 11% of the snaps

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, #12. said:

McVay shouldn't get ridiculously outcoached like some do vs. Belichick.  They have a solid chance

That's what KC and almost every other team thinks before they lose to them unfortunately.

Oh and one or two of Mahomes's big plays were scrambling for his life then chucking it extremely far, not exactly well planned scheming.

The hype for him this year was well deserved, but I'm glad he got smacked in the face.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Mahomes plays a lot like Peyton in his early days, going for 20 plus yard passes instead of checkdowns and that is used against him with the depth of the LBs that Belichick opts to play. He doesn't know how to manage the clock well and hopefully learns like Peyton to do so.

However, none of his pass catchers were generating separation and the story of the game boiled down to 2 things:

a) Predictability of Chiefs' defense that Brady just had to audible to one kill out of 2 calls he made in the huddle, Bob Sutton had no creativity whatsoever

b) Patriots' DL ability to get into Mahomes' face thus making the pocket uncomfortable and pressuring him on 40% of the snaps while Brady was pressued about 11% of the snaps

The Patriots did a great job of limiting Hill and Kelce... I know Kelce had a TD, but he was limited to three catches for 23 yards. Hill had just one catch the entire game. That, combined with the pressure that they were able to get rushing only 3 or 4, was the key to slowing down the Chiefs for a half. 

Pressure is the key to beating ANY quarterback, really. 

• Like 1