Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Manning (TE coach) heading back to Iowa State

MTC

3 hours ago, MTC said:

I am sure he had a lot to do with the development of Eric Ebron and Mo Ali-Cox. Disappointing to see him go, but probably makes sense career-wise if his end goal is to become a head coach. 

Kinda weird, since he left Iowa State as their OC, to come be the Colts TE coach, and one year later is going back to be ISU's OC again....  not sure the motive, but it's a bit of an unusual career path...  why leave to take the TE spot for only 1 year, then go right back to your previous job?

Manning is NOT being pushed out the door.     He's leaving because he's becoming the OC at Iowa State.    It's better for his career.     He did a good job for the Colts and he's being rewarded. 

We found a good staff in early February a year ago.     We will find a good man to replace Manning.   But let's celebrate his good fortune.    This is a good day for his family.

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Manning is NOT being pushed out the door.     He's leaving because he's becoming the OC at Iowa State.    It's better for his career.     He did a good job for the Colts and he's being rewarded. 

We found a good staff in early February a year ago.     We will find a good man to replace Manning.   But let's celebrate his good fortune.    This is a good day for his family.

He left the OC job at Iowa State last year to come here.   Now a year later he goes back to the same job.   

29 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He left the OC job at Iowa State last year to come here.   Now a year later he goes back to the same job.   

Good info.    Good find.     I didn't know that.     Not sure if it changes anything.    He wasn't going to become the Colts OC.     That spot is taken.

So, he goes back to where he's known success.     Don't think I see a negative here,  but I'm open to a different view point if you've got one.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good info.    Good find.     I didn't know that.     Not sure if it changes anything.    He wasn't going to become the Colts OC.     That spot is taken.

So, he goes back to where he's known success.     Don't think I see a negative here,  but I'm open to a different view point if you've got one.

I really don't.    Seems odd to me though.   I read somewhere that he was a candidate for our OL coach. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I would guess the hours worked is less at the College level. Could just be he doesn't want the grind. 

Perhaps.  Although in college you have to coach and travel the country recruiting, text/call high school kids 24/7, etc.

Probably a wash there.  Pressure in college, especially at a place like Iowa State, is possibly not as great.

• Like 1