Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lessons learned from Chiefs game

coltsfeva

On 1/18/2019 at 9:34 AM, stitches said:

Yep. I don't remember where I read that but there are some studies that suggest that most zone defenses are designed to hold up for up to 2.2-2.5 seconds and if you don't get pressure in that time, the QB will almost always have a player to throw to, simply because with offensive players fanning out downfield the zones to cover get bigger and bigger and huge holes open up in the short-to-intermediate range. It's not really a problem with the players in coverage. Even the best execution in coverage opens up free zones if you don't get to the QB(or disrupt him) in time. 

This is why cerebral QBs have always had success against zone defenses. They simply stay steady and patient and wait for the zones to open up and simply dissect them. This is key here - patience and ability to execute on long drives(because zones give up short-intermediate passes, but take away big plays). 

This is also why we need serious talent additions at the DLine that can create pressure without much blitzing. We need better 3tech, we need better pass-rushers on the edge(or we need our current players to improve)

Another GREAT point

Without a pass rush...... I mean almost NONE

The accurate passers will chew this defense up.

Even if we brought in two $30M CBs we would STILL get crushed with no pass rush.

I fully believe that we will be more aggressive this year in drafting and MAYBE FA.........

For 1 or 2 pass rushers on the DL

THATS why I dont see us going after WR or CB in round ONE   

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Another GREAT point

Without a pass rush...... I mean almost NONE

The accurate passers will chew this defense up.

Even if we brought in two $30M CBs we would STILL get crushed with no pass rush.

I fully believe that we will be more aggressive this year in drafting and MAYBE FA.........

For 1 or 2 pass rushers on the DL

THATS why I dont see us going after WR or CB in round ONE   

I agree the primary need is pass rush.

It would be nice to have the personnel to change it up once in a while: (show zone but change to man). Keep teams guessing. Don’t know if that’s in the plans or if we did that at all but either way, we need pass rushers and somebody who can stay with a Kelsey or Etelman.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:37 PM, coltsfeva said:

This video was a little hard to watch. It wasn’t so much that we lost but how we lost.

I kept waiting for the game to swing our way but alas...

Here’s some lessons learned and I’m sure the Colts will use this to get better. Mahommes and the Cheifs (barring injuries) will be around for the foreseeable future. 

We may need another Olineman

We need a solution to stop TEs

We need to start fast

We need to make better in-game adjustments 

We need more weapons 

Feel free to add anything that comes to mind.

Here’s the vid:

https://youtu.be/YqCMFNe3aO4

Oh, the last couple of comments are encouraging 

I can't stand Trey Wingo.

17 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

The pats did exactly what we should've did against the chiefs....press coverage and blitz the qb and run the ball alot

We blitzed mahomes a ton too although mostly from the slot and running the ball alot is pretty wide  range term. I really liked the pats approch to the run game. They saw us trying to run the heavy pull and reach-block and trap and wham type plays and how the chiefs just had a great gameplan for us finding our reach-blocks and attacking that aggressively and getting into the backfield. So the Pats went 180 and brought gap run through the middle with lots of FB and TE in the backfield or dives from 5-wide. Rarely did one of their o-line try to move horizontally and it showed that the chiefs weren't strong enough up front to hold them. 

In the end i think the loss was 100% on the offense since we held them to 31 the same the pats did. That's just how much a great O like the chiefs are gonna score on you.

Our O gameplan and more so the o-line gameplan just was worse than the chiefs d-line gameplan

50 minutes ago, CozyColt said:

We blitzed mahomes a ton too although mostly from the slot and running the ball alot is pretty wide  range term. I really liked the pats approch to the run game. They saw us trying to run the heavy pull and reach-block and trap and wham type plays and how the chiefs just had a great gameplan for us finding our reach-blocks and attacking that aggressively and getting into the backfield. So the Pats went 180 and brought gap run through the middle with lots of FB and TE in the backfield or dives from 5-wide. Rarely did one of their o-line try to move horizontally and it showed that the chiefs weren't strong enough up front to hold them. 

In the end i think the loss was 100% on the offense since we held them to 31 the same the pats did. That's just how much a great O like the chiefs are gonna score on you.

Our O gameplan and more so the o-line gameplan just was worse than the chiefs d-line gameplan

We didn't blitz heavy until the 2nd half and the blitzes we sent wasn't effective aside from the slot blitz and that's because we didn't press their receivers but I'm talking about having a strong start offensively and defensively

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

The pats did exactly what we should've did against the chiefs....press coverage and blitz the qb and run the ball alot

Agreed. Unfortunately with the Colts current defensive emphasis on Cover 2 and zone coverages it’s unlikely that we will ever play them aggressive enough to keep them from picking us apart and controlling the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Agreed. Unfortunately with the Colts current defensive emphasis on Cover 2 and zone coverages it’s unlikely that we will ever play them aggressive enough to keep them from picking us apart and controlling the game. 

If we had that piece in the middle to push the pocket we'd have a better shot at them. You could clearly see he doesn't run AT ALL.

Pressure on the edge won't get to him, gotta get those interior linemen we've been hoping for in this FA or draft.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 7:48 PM, Tsarquise said:

I was surprised by how completely inept the offense was. It hurt to see us lose that way. Need another WR. And wouldn't mind an RB that can run, block, and can catch. 

Completely agree about offensive ineptitude. I'm baffled by it. To me, it just seemed like Luck didn't have any time to throw whatsoever, the KC pass rush was that unstoppable. I just don't know if another WR would've made a difference if Luck didn't have to throw to him.

I learned we also need to gameplan to play against the refs also. There were many blatant PI's that should have been called. Just like the one in the rams vs saints game. 

Going 3 and out almost the entire first half and dropping behind 21-0 sure as heck didn't help anything. Never got our run game going. To little to late. Our entire team was abismal the first half. KC took had off pedal in second half.

Vinnys fricken clankers. You could go on and on. Hopefully we'll be up to the challenge next year. 

• Like 1

Honestly I think from going 1-5 to 10-6 with Luck coming off his injury and a team loaded with first and second year guys we just ran out of gas. Might have even been a bit of cockiness. But we took our loss, the guys didn't like how it felt. I think they will unite and come back stronger next year. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 8:29 AM, 1959Colts said:

We always seem to run out of the shotgun, which I believe hurts us a running team.

Whereas NE used a power running approach, many times utilizing a FB, and had great success.

I agree.  I didnt think the coaches did a good job.  I wanted Luck under center and basically let the chiefs know we were going to ram it down their throats or die trying.  Hopefully a  lesson was learned

On 1/21/2019 at 4:45 PM, masterlock said:

Completely agree about offensive ineptitude. I'm baffled by it. To me, it just seemed like Luck didn't have any time to throw whatsoever, the KC pass rush was that unstoppable. I just don't know if another WR would've made a difference if Luck didn't have to throw to him.

I have heard a lot of people say that no one was open, which heavily contributed to the pressure. 

What also baffles me is how we only score 6 points on offense, yet New England scores 37? Is their offense that much better? If so, why, exactly?

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, 1959Colts said:

We always seem to run out of the shotgun, which I believe hurts us a running team.

Whereas NE used a power running approach, many times utilizing a FB, and had great success.

"If your only tool is a hammer, everything gets treated like a nail." I guess we need more tools, and the knowledge on how to use them.

1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

I have heard a lot of people say that no one was open, which heavily contributed to the pressure. 

What also baffles me is how we only score 6 points on offense, yet New England scores 37? Is their offense that much better? If so, why, exactly?

brady is better than luck at changing the play and making sure someone is going to be open.  they always get people open, while the colts struggle with that sometimes

they run a complicated offense where the QB and receivers both make lots of reads, this leads to guys like edleman making wide open catches every week.  you have to either get pressure, or hope for bad reads or bad throws or there is no stopping them 

• Like 1