Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lessons learned from Chiefs game

coltsfeva

This video was a little hard to watch. It wasn’t so much that we lost but how we lost.

I kept waiting for the game to swing our way but alas...

Here’s some lessons learned and I’m sure the Colts will use this to get better. Mahommes and the Cheifs (barring injuries) will be around for the foreseeable future. 

We may need another Olineman

We need a solution to stop TEs

We need to start fast

We need to make better in-game adjustments 

We need more weapons 

Feel free to add anything that comes to mind.

Here’s the vid:

https://youtu.be/YqCMFNe3aO4

Oh, the last couple of comments are encouraging 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

This video was a little hard to watch. It wasn’t so much that we lost but how we lost.

Here’s some lessons learned and I’m sure the Colts will use this to get better. Mahommes and the Cheifs (barring injuries) will be around for the foreseeable future. 

We need to start fast

We need more weapons 

Here’s the vid:

We also need a top quality edge rusher. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I re-watched the whole game and as bad as we played we still had our chances to comeback and win. So many mistakes/penalties and missed opportunities, even the miss FG at the end of the Half was crucial. This game wasn't near as bad as the 2014 Title Game where we really got stomped by the Pats. We need a good solid Pass Rusher and another WR that is on TY's level like we had with Marvin and Reggie. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t watched it again, but eventually I’ll watch the All22.   Without watching, I’m guessing the WRs were sticking to our guys like glue.  Which reminded me of the Jax game.  

I know there was a ton of grabbing and holding jerseys and arms.  But I suspect that went on with both sides, they just did a better job of disguising the PI.  

Also, I know our Olinemen are trained to hit the Dlinemen as soon as they put their arms up, but they weren’t doing a very good job of it.  Believe me, if every time you raise your arms to block a pass you get slammed in the gut, you think twice about doing it anymore.  

• Like 1

We couldn't slow down their tempo or establish our own tempo by running the ball. I wish the D kept us in the game initially till our O got its footing but it felt like things snowballed into us making bad decisions with offensive play calling and not executing with the drops. We were sometimes trying to do the same thing again and again with the same negative results (having tipped balls, dropped balls etc.), and led to going away from the run in a bit of a panic mode.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I haven’t watched it again, but eventually I’ll watch the All22.   Without watching, I’m guessing the WRs were sticking to our guys like glue.  Which reminded me of the Jax game.  

I know there was a ton of grabbing and holding jerseys and arms.  But I suspect that went on with both sides, they just did a better job of disguising the PI.  

Also, I know our Olinemen are trained to hit the Dlinemen as soon as they put their arms up, but they weren’t doing a very good job of it.  Believe me, if every time you raise your arms to block a pass you get slammed in the gut, you think twice about doing it anymore.  

Their Secondary got away with a lot of holding and grabbing but nothing was called. Also there were 2 plays where Nelson got face masked and nothing was called either where balls were batted down.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Their Secondary got away with a lot of holding and grabbing but nothing was called. Also there were 2 plays where Nelson got face masked and nothing was called either where balls were batted down.

As far as lessons learned, how about blocking that backside rusher on a run play?  (I know they were too fast for our linemen, but maybe TE or Hback help.  It happened too many times not to make the adjustments.   

Still think we we need a power RB, someone about 230, to complement Mack.   

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

As far as lessons learned, how about blocking that backside rusher on a run play?  (I know they were too fast for our linemen, but maybe TE or Hback help.  It happened too many times not to make the adjustments.   

The plan was to have the TE block the back side rusher, however, the execution was horrible. Ford is much too fast to have the TE block the edge rusher, while lined up on the opposite side of the rusher. If you watch Mo Allie-Cox on the first offensive play for the Colts, you'll see what I mean.

Look at the play at the 10:00 minute marker.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'll be watching the Pats game very closely to see how they handle Kelce. I don't think they'll allow Kelce to work as freely as we did, but I get the feeling they'll give up a deep pass or two, and we didn't (almost, the one to Hill was close). 

I thought Mahomes made more than one bad throw on some deep passes that probably should have been converted, IIRC.  And why bother throwing deep that much when YAC in the short game was gaining huge chunks.

20 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I was surprised by how completely inept the offense was. It hurt to see us lose that way. Need another WR. And wouldn't mind an RB that can run, block, and can catch. 

They took it to us much like we did to them in 2006. They were at home and was aggressive on Defense. In 2006 everyone was saying Larry Johnson was going to rush for 150 Yards against us in that Playoff game, that we had a terrible Rush Defense, then we held him to 17 Yards. That game Saturday did not surprise me. I did think Luck would play better but the outcome wasn't surprising.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They took it to us much like we did to them in 2006. They were at home and was aggressive on Defense. In 2006 everyone was saying Larry Johnson was going to rush for 150 Yards against us in that Playoff game, that we had a terrible Rush Defense, then we held him to 17 Yards. That game Saturday did not surprise me. I did think Luck would play better but the outcome wasn't surprising.

Very similar. 

I kept thinking they might pull a 2006 Colts, which they did. 

They very much remind me of the old Colts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I learned going on the road against a rested team and having likely tired rookies at several important positions, is a recipe for a reality game. 

Nothing monumental as I see it, just a young team that ran out of gas. We'll be back. 

We did good this season, we definitely proved we are a Top 8 team heading into next season. The young guys will grow into grown men and Luck will only get better. Reich getting a year under his belt is huge too. He should be better in year 2. The Playoffs was a great learning experience which is another bonus.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I'll be watching the Pats game very closely to see how they handle Kelce. I don't think they'll allow Kelce to work as freely as we did, but I get the feeling they'll give up a deep pass or two, and we didn't (almost, the one to Hill was close). 

Kelce is the key imo with their passing game. Hill May hit more big plays but Kelce keeps the chains moving and opens up the deep ball for Hill on the outside but eating up the middle of the field. BB will figure something out as usual. 

This has not been mentioned but the snow and the cold seemed to really affect us much more than the Chiefs. The Colts looked totally out of sync. I never saw that many balls ba tted at the line. I agree that we didnt have much gas left in the tank. Homefield advantage will cure all these problems. Pre season ranked 32nd. Started season 1-5. Made it to the final 8. I'd say we had a great season. Bring on the draft and free agency.

14 hours ago, Superman said:

In their past 3 matchups, they've thrown the kitchen sink at Kelce. Jams at LOS, double-teams etc.  

I re-watched it. 

The defense kept the Colts in the game in the 2nd half and gave the Offense a few opportunities to put some points up. Luck (I hate to say it) was terrible. The O-Line wasn't great, but there were no adjustments made to block which is insane. He wasn't taking dump off passes and was throwing quite a few ducks. 

The thing that drove me nuts was, we abandoned the run game, and the Colts had great success with no huddle and were driving down the field yet they quit doing it. So dumb. 

They need a pass rusher SO bad. Mahomes had all day to pick apart the zone D. Moore played his tail off, and Leonard finally woke up in the the 2nd half. The Colts need a LB or safety hybrid that can run with TE's as well. 

I said this before the game to my bro-in-law that we'd lose if Hooker didn't play. Which sucked to say. I believe there were 2 Mahomes throws for sure that would've been INT's if Hooker was playing. 

• Like 2

I don't buy into the defense did better in the second half part. They were up 21-0. In the second half when they wanted to score they drove down with ease and got the score. 

What i I learned is I hate the zone. Or at least our version of it with no pressure on the QB. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I believe Cox was suppose to block the back side rusher on those plays (two that I remember), but he wasn't quick enough to get there from the left side. When he went in motion and then got set, he may have set himself too far left.

• Like 1

we cant afford an off day from luck, and that was possibly his worst of the season.  we also cant have hooker miss a game like that, our safety group is a liability in coverage without him

Oline wasnt good either, but i dont see that as the reason we lost

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don't buy into the defense did better in the second half part. They were up 21-0. In the second half when they wanted to score they drove down with ease and got the score. 

What i I learned is I hate the zone. Or at least our version of it with no pressure on the QB. 

If you have no QB pressure, zone defense has no chance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

If you have no QB pressure, zone defense has no chance.

Yep. I don't remember where I read that but there are some studies that suggest that most zone defenses are designed to hold up for up to 2.2-2.5 seconds and if you don't get pressure in that time, the QB will almost always have a player to throw to, simply because with offensive players fanning out downfield the zones to cover get bigger and bigger and huge holes open up in the short-to-intermediate range. It's not really a problem with the players in coverage. Even the best execution in coverage opens up free zones if you don't get to the QB(or disrupt him) in time. 

This is why cerebral QBs have always had success against zone defenses. They simply stay steady and patient and wait for the zones to open up and simply dissect them. This is key here - patience and ability to execute on long drives(because zones give up short-intermediate passes, but take away big plays). 

This is also why we need serious talent additions at the DLine that can create pressure without much blitzing. We need better 3tech, we need better pass-rushers on the edge(or we need our current players to improve)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

We need to start fast

We need more weapons 

Here’s the vid:

Greaaaat post. I would say:

1) WR threat opposite of TY (I wouldn't mind using a 1st rounder for a top 2 WR if available, if Top 3 DLinemen isn't there)

2) DLinemen thats great at pass rush.

3) CB

4) IF FS Hooker would have played, it would have at least been a closer game. At the last min, our FS got injured.

5) Olinemen

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I re-watched the whole game and as bad as we played we still had our chances to comeback and win. So many mistakes/penalties and missed opportunities, even the miss FG at the end of the Half was crucial. This game wasn't near as bad as the 2014 Title Game where we really got stomped by the Pats. We need a good solid Pass Rusher and another WR that is on TY's level like we had with Marvin and Reggie. 

I agree. The one concern I had before the game was that the Colts would find a way to beat themselves. They did. The solution is not simple, but a complex combination of 'concerns' that (individually) should be easy to fix. I had a colleague once say "Anyone can work under ideal conditions". Learning to work well under less than ideal conditions (individually and as a team, some call this Agile  in the business world) is a lesson I hope we learn.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I kind of disagree.  I think they would want to score every time they had the ball to crush us.  But late in the forth qtr they still only had 24 points?  I'm not saying the D did a fantastic job, but if the offense had been doing there part we could have been right where we wanted to be - in the game at the end competing for the win.

With that said I did see a number of plays where our defense was out of position, fell for the KC mis-direction, and consistently failed to get any pass rush.  So with some upgrades on defense could the Colts hold the Chiefs to a low 20s score?  Possibly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have broken down the entire game and Luck played very well all things considered. He made two bad passes and on both plays if the pass had been perfect the receiver would have been tackled immediately at the LOS for little on no gain. Luck Ran for two first downs and made several throws into tight windows because we had zero separation.  Watch KC on offense Mahomnes had wide open receivers to throw to. Since TY Was hurt, KC simply went man to man and shut down are other receivers who could not get open. This is the problem that has to get fixed. I don't know what else anyone wanted Luck to do.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 4:07 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You rewatched it?

Major props to you. I tried and couldn't do it.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:19 PM, Tsarquise said:

Very similar. 

I kept thinking they might pull a 2006 Colts, which they did. 

They very much remind me of the old Colts. 

Inb4 Eric Berry gets the game sealing INT to beat the Patriots at home and go to the Super Bowl. duckr.png

On 1/17/2019 at 3:51 PM, Superman said:

GREAT point

30 NFL Defensive Coordinators are watching this game...... VERY close

How do you stop this great KC offense?

Love or hate Belichick.......  the guy has ZERO defensive game planning peers

Im an old dude..... and in many decades of football...... there wasnt ANYONE with the ability to snuff out an offense like Belichick.........

I HOPE HE RETIRES SOON!!!!!  :)