Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Curios scenario

Ok peeps, I have a scenario I would like your collective input. Several mock drafts I’ve done, Noah Fant slips down to pick #26 and I know TE is not a need, but.......if he is the BPA, and ALL of the decent DL are gone, would you pick him?  I can only imagine a complete TE in the mold of Dallas Clark could do for this offense. Again, not realistic, but curious on your opinions. 

43 minutes ago, indyman411 said:

Ok peeps, I have a scenario I would like your collective input. Several mock drafts I’ve done, Noah Fant slips down to pick #26 and I know TE is not a need, but.......if he is the BPA, and ALL of the decent DL are gone, would you pick him?  I can only imagine a complete TE in the mold of Dallas Clark could do for this offense. Again, not realistic, but curious on your opinions. 

Nope. I think the knock on him is that he’s not a blocker. His teammate TJ Hockensen is supposed to be the blocker. He’s basically Ebron and we already have an Ebron.

• Thanks 1

If he is the best available player yes. If he pans out well then we can avoid a large contract. Reich scheme also loves TEs.  The loss of Swoope this offseason (I presume) will bring an opening for another receiving TE. Doyle hasnt played a full season since his contract was extended. Ebron has been good for us but there have been some dropped passes issues. Cox has potential but has room to grow.

If he is the better then it would be foolish to pass up for a position of need that is not as talented.

2 hours ago, FalseStart said:

Nope. If everyone is going QB, DL, Edge, BPA...then a few BPA at positions of need will be ripe for the picking at pick 26 and pick 34.  Should probably go Defensive...unless a Greg Little OT falls to 26th pick.

Namely WR, but I'd imagine with the concentration being on the positions you highlighted, most of the quality otherwise first-round talent at WR should slip to us for one of the selections in the 2nd. I've seen a lot of mocks with the Colts selecting multiple really solid WRs. That would be interesting, but other defensive needs would have to have been filled via FA or trade. Would love to land 2 out of Butler, Metcalf, Harry, Brown, Arcega-Whiteside, Harmon, and Deebo Samuel's. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FalseStart said:

Nope. If everyone is going QB, DL, Edge, BPA...then a few BPA at positions of need will be ripe for the picking at pick 26 and pick 34.  Should probably go Defensive...unless a Greg Little OT falls to 26th pick.

There isn't much QB talent in this upcoming draft so I don't think we'll see a QB feeding frenzy early in the first round. I'd really like to see the Colts go for the best available DL1T in the first, then CB and WR with those two second-round picks, depending on what happens in free agency to plug those roster holes. I think they can wait one more year before they start worrying about another OT to groom for Castonzo's spot. He's missed a few games, but he looks like he still has plenty of tread on his tires and is still playing at a fairly high level. 

On 1/16/2019 at 12:26 PM, indyman411 said:

if he is the BPA, and ALL of the decent DL are gone, would you pick him?

I'd be ok with it.  Whoever is BPA is fine with me, as long as it's not a QB, FB, K, P, or long-snapper.

I know some people are set on drafting a certain position and would lose their minds if Ballard drafted a G, FS, C, RB, TE, etc. in the 1st round, but we need quality depth at positions that experience frequent injuries.

I trust Ballard to draft the right guys.  Building a roster is a constant exercise.

• Like 1

Different scenario than the OP started but didn’t want a whole new thread. What would it take to move up into the first round (keeping our original 1st)? What would we be able to get from trading both our 2nd round picks? Could we get into the 27 range? Better/worse? 

My thought would be grabbing 2 defensive talents with 5th year eligibility as they develop. 

Need: 

DT

SS

CB

then:

WR

OT

OG

51 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Different scenario than the OP started but didn’t want a whole new thread. What would it take to move up into the first round (keeping our original 1st)? What would we be able to get from trading both our 2nd round picks? Could we get into the 27 range? Better/worse? 

My thought would be grabbing 2 defensive talents with 5th year eligibility as they develop. 

Need: 

DT

SS

CB

then:

WR

OT

OG

Is that extra year of eligibilty worth it in exchange for one less player? Especially since we also have needs at WR and secondary (and we could find lots of talent in the 2nd round for those positions).

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Is that extra year of eligibilty worth it in exchange for one less player? Especially since we also have needs at WR and secondary (and we could find lots of talent in the 2nd round for those positions).

It’s a legit question. I think I outlined that we have multiple needs with the positions of need. I’m specifically asking how far into the first can you expect to get to by using those 2 second round picks? So yes it’s one less player but the argument will always be quality over quantity. Those two things could be debated ad nauseam but it’s a good debate for fans alike.

If if you knew you could trade 3 picks to get two picks back and those 3 picks were Trent Richardson, Phillip Dorsett and  Stanley Jean-Baptiste. Now  would you trade those for the chance to get Chris Jones and Alvin Kamara?  I understand this is a loaded question because we already know the success of the 5 players thus far but my point to the scenario is these 2 guys would be ten times more productive on the team than those 3. 

4 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

It’s a legit question. I think I outlined that we have multiple needs with the positions of need. I’m specifically asking how far into the first can you expect to get to by using those 2 second round picks?

According to the draft chart we can get to pick 11 (Cincy) with pick 34. Around 15 - 16 (Washington and Carolina) with pick 58. Pick 89 in the third would get us to Pittsburgh 20th pick.   

Here is the draft pick value chart on draft tek with our current picks illuminated.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Ind

4 minutes ago, KB said:

According to the draft chart we can get to pick 11 (Cincy) with pick 34. Around 15 - 16 (Washington and Carolina) with pick 58. Pick 89 in the third would get us to Pittsburgh 20th pick.   

Here is the draft pick value chart on draft tek with our current picks illuminated.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Ind

Thanks for that. I would definitely be open to trade the 2 second rounders if I could get that 19/20 pick IF  the right star that fit our need were available, not a reach player but someone the team knew would be an instant fit as a starter on this team. #20&26 would be very nice to have imo. 

I think it's interesting how people look at drafting by position classification (TE, DT1, etc) and not looking at what particular advantages the individual player brings to the team. Positions are not just "plug and play". IMO, ranking a draft board is far more complicated and complex than most fans realize.

• Like 2