Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck is heading to the 2019 Pro Bowl

MTC

11 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I wouldn't go for that joke game either all it is a injury risk to your star players they get hurt in this meaningless game they wont be ready for the 2019 season.

I understand your point of view but a lot of these players have money involved. Some of their contracts pay bonuses if they make the pro bowl. I would think they would have to play the game to get their money.

It's been a long time since players played hard in a pro bowl. They have as much chance tripping over their cat and getting injured than in a pro bowl game.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I wouldn't go for that joke game either all it is a injury risk to your star players they get hurt in this meaningless game they wont be ready for the 2019 season.

Players know this, so they don't put much effort in.  You'll see minimal tackling, blocking, and effort in the Pro Bowl because no one wants to get hurt.  I don't think it's a huge risk.

• Like 1

Good for Andrew but honestly, pro bowl means little to me.  With so many players not going for whatever reason, even marginal type decent players end up being called a pro bowler.  

Darius will probably end up going as well, though he does deserve it. 

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is like asking out a hot girl to the prom, she says no, then her date cancels and she asks you afterwards if you want to go. Very insulting that Luck didn't go in the first place and it was only because Rivers didn't want to play. 

I may be wrong but even had Rivers played he still would've made it due to either Mahomes or Brady making the SB. I thought they took 3 QBs. I may be wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I may be wrong but even had Rivers played he still would've made it due to either Mahomes or Brady making the SB. I thought they took 3 QBs. I may be wrong.

You are correct. Luck would of made it either way. The fact that Brady made it over him this year is insulting though. Nothing will compare to Leonard though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I wasn't sure because I never watch the Pro Bowl anymore, haven't in years. I am happy for Andrew though. 

I may watch it for the simple fact that Luck, Nelson, and Ebron will all be playing on the offense together. I'm sure Andrew will enjoy himself and won't complain how he got in, so I'll support him and won't make a big deal of it. Just hate the bias based on name value and teams in some of these awards.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Not really the reaction I expected.  Lol 

I am of the opinion the pro-bowl is a waste of time, money and player safety. I think the same of the NBA All Star game too. For a QB coming off a season having returned from a major injury, just seems like too high of a risk for him to play in it.

14 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is like asking out a hot girl to the prom, she says no, then her date cancels and she asks you afterwards if you want to go. Very insulting that Luck didn't go in the first place and it was only because Rivers didn't want to play. 

Kind of had something similar happen to me at my senior prom.  Day before, my now wife's best friend had her date up and dump her the day of prom.  Left her with no date, so I ended up taking BOTH girls to prom.  Expensive dinner but worth it. Especially walking into that prom in full military dress uniform with a good looking blonde girl on each arm. :td:  Course this being right after 9/11 had happened and the whole support our troops things at a high, the cheers were quite loud(and embarrassing/annoying)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand your point of view but a lot of these players have money involved. Some of their contracts pay bonuses if they make the pro bowl. I would think they would have to play the game to get their money.

It's been a long time since players played hard in a pro bowl. They have as much chance tripping over their cat and getting injured than in a pro bowl game.

The game is a joke, and I forgot they are underpaid so I guess the better go then huh?:D

Not sure why they even bother with it. I cant remember  the last time I ever watched one.

13 minutes ago, jszfunk said:

The game is a joke, and I forgot they are underpaid so I guess the better go then huh?:D

Not sure why they even bother with it. I cant remember  the last time I ever watched one.

The game is not a joke to the players. Having a pro bowl on their resume does give them bargaining chips to get paid in future contracts. That is why players have clauses in their contracts to be paid for playing in a pro bowl. There are 1696 active players in the NFL so if a players gets voted into the pro bowl it does mean something to them.

Just because you choose not to watch it does not mean they are going to do away with it.

It is a meaningless game that most fans don't bother to even watch, but if the players enjoy it, then who am I to complain?

This morning I saw an interview with Luck on a local TV station about his addition to the Pro Bowl game and he sounded happy about it, so good for him. 

Another thing I noticed in that brief interview was that he (Luck) sounded like he had a cold, he seemed to be kind of "clogged up".   Perhaps he was coming down with it on Saturday.  Just a guess, and I know players play with minor sickness all the time, but playing outdoors in cold weather while you're coming down with a cold or something wouldn't be helpful for performing at your peak. IDK.

18 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I am of the opinion the pro-bowl is a waste of time, money and player safety. I think the same of the NBA All Star game too. For a QB coming off a season having returned from a major injury, just seems like too high of a risk for him to play in it.

When was the last time a player got injured in the Pro Bowl?

Aren't there rules against stuff like blitzing to avoid injuries?

I'd imagine Andrew is safer at the Pro Bowl than he is snowboarding...  haha

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

When was the last time a player got injured in the Pro Bowl?

Aren't there rules against stuff like blitzing to avoid injuries?

I'd imagine Andrew is safer at the Pro Bowl than he is snowboarding...  haha

2016- the Bengal's TE, Eifert was injured during the Pro Bowl and missed almost all of the 2016 season...

2017- Mack, though it was minor, he would sit out of the 2018 one for concerns of injuring himself in a pointless game.

2018- no major injuries, a couple concussions did happen though.

maybe, but how many no contact ACL and other injuries have happened in recent years, why risk it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The game is not a joke to the players. Having a pro bowl on their resume does give them bargaining chips to get paid in future contracts. That is why players have clauses in their contracts to be paid for playing in a pro bowl. There are 1696 active players in the NFL so if a players gets voted into the pro bowl it does mean something to them.

Just because you choose not to watch it does not mean they are going to do away with it.

Agree to disagree....sorry but the "game" itself is a joke. I get what your saying about all the extras, thats cool, but come on...the game is worthless.

1 hour ago, jszfunk said:

Agree to disagree....sorry but the "game" itself is a joke. I get what your saying about all the extras, thats cool, but come on...the game is worthless.

That is your opinion but evidently it is still being watched enough to make money. If not the NFL and the network would drop it.

It's a game played for fun and there are still enough fans that enjoy watching it.

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yeah I get it.  The emoji you selected struck my funny bone while scrolling quickly through the tread.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gramz said:

Being a musician, I would equate this to a jam session.

Getting together with friends, and fellow musicians, having a great time with no pressure.

Sorry to drift off topic-

I can relate to that. As a younger man I was an inspiring musician. I even spent most of my teenage years and even after my army stint in Nashville Tn.  I was in a band that played the first year of the opening of Opryland. We got to do 4 songs a set on Sat. and Sun. (no pay lol)

I made more money washing dishes at Shoney's on music row than playing a guitar.

Nashville is a tough town for most.

The most fun I had was those jam sessions you speak of. One thing I found out was there are great musicians all over the place that never get that break.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Why does anyone go to this stupid show of shows? It is the NFL's answer to pro wrestling.

Camaraderie, friendship, a FUN friendly way to wrap up a long season.

No one takes the game seriously, of course,  but I think the guys, and their families enjoy it.   

No reason to knock those that choose fun. :dunno:

8 hours ago, Gramz said:

Camaraderie, friendship, a FUN friendly way to wrap up a long season.

No one takes the game seriously, of course,  but I think the guys, and their families enjoy it.   

No reason to knock those that choose fun. :dunno:

Fine, have a picnic.