Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts want Adam Vinatieri back (Update) (Merge)

Barry Sears

On kicker Adam Vinatieri and his pending free agency:

“He’s the ‘G.O.A.T’ for a reason, right? And, I mean, just the week before the season ends, he’s out there kicking 63, 64 yarders on the practice field. I don’t know how he does it. The guy’s incredible. So he’s still kicking at a very high level. I know he’s working through that decision (and) has expressed some desire of, ‘Hey, probably want to (return),’ but I can certainly understand and respect him to take a minute to think that through. But I’ll have to keep sending him texts, ‘Come on, now. Let’s go. Get back here. We’ve got a few more years left in you.’”

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 2:19 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

if it happens then i'm fine with it. However i really think we should also keep a back up kicker this time to groom him

Only on the practice squad, we don't need to waste a true roster spot of the 53 man roster on a kicker we are grooming.....

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 6:35 PM, Superman said:

Thing is, many of us thought he was done ten years ago. He got hurt in 2009, and Matt Stover was the kicker the rest of the season. He came back in 2010 and hit 26/28 FG, and was 51/51 on XPs.

And then we thought he'd retire after Polian left, and he hit two game winners in 2012. Kind of a sloppy season for him, 78% on FGs, but he bounced back nicely in 2013. He's hit several game winners since.

Every time we think the guy is ready to fall off or hang them up, he comes right back and shows why he's the greatest kicker of all time.

I'll wait for him to prove that he can't kick anymore, or doesn't want to, before pushing him out the door.

Yup...at this age, he's earned it. Especially having come back from his groin injury and playing back to his usual form.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Just speculation, nothing yet

Thanks.   I think the last article I read (if you can believe what you read)   was that he would like to play one more year, after checking a few medical things to make sure he's good to go.

I know he's a free agent now, so hoping if he decides he really does want to play, it will be here.

Nothing but respect for him.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:30 AM, Roger said:

I would like to see an opportunity for Vinatieri to throw a TD pass on a fake FG trick play. Did not look it up, but wonder who the oldest player to throw a TD was?

George Blanda - 47 years and 91 days old.

Born Sept 17, 1927. Threw TD pass to Cliff Branch on Dec 14, 1974.

He then kicked the extra point.

I stayed away from this thread till now. Right after the KC game I was on the fence about bringing GOAT back, but that was mostly reactionary. Colts need to bring him back.

I think some of y'all are forgetting just how hard it is to find a consistent kicker. Just ask Tampa Bay or Cleveland or Chicago. 

Every single clutch kicker misses kicks. Even the best ones.

Tucker missed a game tying PAT this season against NO. Gostkowski missed two kicks in the SB last season. Aren't those two supposed to be the best in the business?

Understand that if Vinny comes back, he'll miss some kicks. All kickers do. Also understand that it's way unlikely the Colts could find a kicker of the street who is as reliable and clutch as Vinny. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I stayed away from this thread till now. Right after the KC game I was on the fence about bringing GOAT back, but that was mostly reactionary. Colts need to bring him back.

I think some of y'all are forgetting just how hard it is to find a consistent kicker. Just ask Tampa Bay or Cleveland or Chicago. 

Every single clutch kicker misses kicks. Even the best ones.

Tucker missed a game tying PAT this season against NO. Gostkowski missed two kicks in the SB last season. Aren't those two supposed to be the best in the business?

Understand that if Vinny comes back, he'll miss some kicks. All kickers do. Also understand that it's way unlikely the Colts could find a kicker of the street who is as reliable and clutch as Vinny. 

This is truth!