Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts want Adam Vinatieri back (Update) (Merge)

Barry Sears

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow, there's just no trade you're not willing to make.

And we're certainly NOT trading AV after we re-sign him.     Not even for a draft pick.     Chris Ballard is not going to disrespect him like that.       If AV wants to keep going and CB wants him back,  then what is the problem --- exactly?!?

I have no problem keeping him.  Far from it.  If he wants to play great.  The question was if he lost out in camp.  Cut him.  That's the choice or trade him if you can find someone.  Would he rather be cut or traded?   I don't know.  Cut AV?  I think that would be hard.  Switch him out during the season.  That would be hard as well.  If he comes back let's hope he can last another year.  

4 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

At some point, the end is going to happen. If he comes back, I still say we draft a kicker. Just to have already in the fold and one that can learn under him

If we draft a kicker, if he's any good where will we stash him?  If he goes to the practice squad, another team will surely take him.  Badgley was pretty good but we all knew that he was going to be cut.  

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's not just "now"....   it's been at least 7 years...    at least since I've been a Colts fan.

Sanchez does kick-offs now.     Before him it was Patty Mac.

Been a long time since AV did kick-offs.

Since at least 2009, when McAfee was drafted.

It's interesting, because there was always the persistent idea that McAfee would take over for AV once he retired. Some even had the idea that McAfee would handle all kicking and punting duties for the Colts. 

And here, McAfee has been retired two seasons, and AV is about to play his 24th year in the NFL. 

But to the point, taking AV off kickoff duty has definitely extended his career. He was struggling on kickoffs for at least a couple seasons before McAfee took over. I think the extra juice in his leg has something to do with his limited duties.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Any kicker good enough to hold on the PS is likely going to be signed by another team by seasons end. When you are looking at FA kickers that’s the first place you start. 

The situation with him in essence being there waitibg ro rakw over wlhkd make him even ale him even more likely to get plucked by another team. That’s essentially saying “he’s worth a roster spot the second Vinny is gone.”

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Those usually don't last. The Panthers for example tried to stash Butker on their practice squad but the Chiefs(a team with exceptional special teams coach) snatched him almost immediately. There are way too many teams in kicker purgatory every year. If they see you are using a roster spot(even if on the practice squad) for additional kicker they will know he's good and they will sign him. 

That's usually how it goes.

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

One of the few guys I've ever said that about and fully acknowledge that's not smart team management.  Meh, that's why I'm not in an NFL's FO.  Still don't care lol.

Thing is, many of us thought he was done ten years ago. He got hurt in 2009, and Matt Stover was the kicker the rest of the season. He came back in 2010 and hit 26/28 FG, and was 51/51 on XPs.

And then we thought he'd retire after Polian left, and he hit two game winners in 2012. Kind of a sloppy season for him, 78% on FGs, but he bounced back nicely in 2013. He's hit several game winners since.

Every time we think the guy is ready to fall off or hang them up, he comes right back and shows why he's the greatest kicker of all time.

I'll wait for him to prove that he can't kick anymore, or doesn't want to, before pushing him out the door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I have no problem keeping him.  Far from it.  If he wants to play great.  The question was if he lost out in camp.  Cut him.  That's the choice or trade him if you can find someone.  Would he rather be cut or traded?   I don't know.  Cut AV?  I think that would be hard.  Switch him out during the season.  That would be hard as well.  If he comes back let's hope he can last another year.  

I think if it comes down to that, Chris would sit him down and they’d talk. Resulting in AV simply retiring. Rather than being cut or traded

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

Please retire already. Not acceptable to blow easy kicks when season on the line

He didn’t blow either of them, and one was allegedly tipped

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They wouldn’t have to cut him he’s a free agent.  Not saying I wouldn’t bring him back just saying they don’t have to release him.

Figure of speech.  

What I really mean is he certainly has earned the respect to decide when his time is up.   I trust that he would walk away if he thought he could no longer help the team.

If he still wants to play and Colts sign him for another year I'm all for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

Figure of speech.  

What I really mean is he certainly has earned the respect to decide when his time is up.   I trust that he would walk away if he thought he could no longer help the team.

If he still wants to play and Colts sign him for another year I'm all for it.

It’s a business, no one has that right.  If he wants to play and the Colts no longer feel he can produce at a high enough level they will let him or not re-sign him.  I am NOT saying Adam is at that point now.  However, that day could get here.  Remember this is the same franchise who cut Peyton Manning because it was best for the team, yes I know Peyton could still play, but if Peyton didn’t earn that right no one will.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s a business, no one has that right.  If he wants to play and the Colts no longer feel he can produce at a high enough level they will let him or not re-sign him.  I am NOT saying Adam is at that point now.  However, that day could get here.  Remember this is the same franchise who cut Peyton Manning because it was best for the team, yes I know Peyton could still play, but if Peyton didn’t earn that right no one will.  

I said the  respect, not the right.

And I'm not getting into the Peyton discussion.

And, of course it's a business. 

Bottom line, I hope he can return, or retire on his own terms.   

Nothing but the utmost respect for him.

10 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I said the  respect, not the right.

And I'm not getting into the Peyton discussion.

And, of course it's a business. 

Bottom line, I hope he can return, or retire on his own terms.   

Notbing but the utmost respect for him.

I hope he can too.  I like Adam and want him to finish his career as a Colt as long as he’s productive.  

• Like 2

Even on a downtrend, Adam's still a top 5 kicker in the league. The only one who's still maintaining a high performance level would probably be Tucker, and even he had a crucial miss at the end of that Saints game. 

I wouldn't be upset at all to bring him back for a chance to get him to the promised land one last time.   

19 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think he has to return and we need to find a kicker to replace him when he does retire. I would rather have Adam back while we search then have someone that we know nothing about.

Why? He’s done already. Just like PM his last year in Denver.

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

At the end of training camp there could be.  Especially if he has a decent camp and just lost out in the competition.  Kickers get turned over a lot during the season.  A team not happy with their kicking situation to start just might give up a late pick.  You never know. 

Yeah, I do know.

Nobody is trading for AV at the end of camp.  He will be the Colts' kicker or failing that he and Ballard will come to mutual decision that will end with his retirement.  That is the most likely scenario if he is not on the Colts.  If by chance AV still wants to kick if the Colts go another direction, Indy will release him and let him pick where he wants to go.  That is an extremely unlikely situation in my mind.  A trade will not happen.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Did you watch any games other than the last one?    He still has plenty of leg.   His accuracy this year was higher than his career average

Yes I have watched plenty of Colts games this year and years past. That missed or was it two missed kicks in the playoff game? reminded me of that Mike Vanderjagt kick against the Steelers after CB Hayden or Marlin Jackson scooped up the fumble and ran it back within FG range. It was wide right and Adam missed when we needed him the most (down 17 pts instead of 14 going into the half) against #1 seed KC. John Madden said how consistent Vanderjagt was prior to the kick and as soon as he missed it, the next day he was fired!

You cannot make mistakes against top tier teams in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Yes I have watched plenty of Colts games this year and years past. That missed or was it two missed kicks in the playoff game? reminded me of that Mike Vanderjagt kick against the Steelers after CB Hayden or Marlin Jackson scooped up the fumble and ran it back within FG range. It was wide right and Adam missed when we needed him the most (down 17 pts instead of 14 going into the half) against #1 seed KC. John Madden said how consistent Vanderjagt was prior to the kick and as soon as he missed it, the next day he was fired!

Your memory and facts need some help.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

5 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Your memory and facts need some help.

Sir I even gave the commentators during the game that I referenced, the players, the play, yardline, teams involved, end results etc. Some people just hate to be wrong.

But anyways Just for you here's the game!

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Even on a downtrend, Adam's still a top 5 kicker in the league. The only one who's still maintaining a high performance level would probably be Tucker, and even he had a crucial miss at the end of that Saints game. 

I wouldn't be upset at all to bring him back for a chance to get him to the promised land one last time.   

I wouldn't mind them bringing him back, but he is no longer a top 5 kicker in the league.   Not by the stats anyway.   If you mix in the attitude and experience, he may be close, but his days of being one of the best are over.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Sir I even gave the commentators during the game that I referenced, the players, the play, yardline, teams involved, end results etc. Some people just hate to be wrong.

And I am saying your facts are wrong.

For instance, the player was Nick Harper not Hayden or Jackson.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't mind them bringing him back, but he is no longer a top 5 kicker in the league.   Not by the stats anyway.   If you mix in the attitude and experience, he may be close, but his days of being one of the best are over.  

I just read this morning he was rated the 18th. best kicker in the league this year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jskinnz said:

And I am saying your facts are wrong.

For instance, the player was Nick Harper not Hayden or Jackson.

14 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Timeout, So you are correcting me because I gave the wrong CB name even though I mentioned that it was a CB who played almost 10 years ago? So the fact I draw up the play, announcers, result of play, what happened during the play, what happened after the play was irrelevant because I said Hayden instead of Harper? I wont respond to your genius anymore.

Just now, Rackeen305 said:

Timeout, So you are correcting me because I gave the wrong CB name even though I mentioned that it was a CB who played almost 10 years ago? So the fact I draw up the play, announcers, result of play, what happened during the play, what happened after the play was irrelevant because I said Hayden instead of Harper? I wont respond to your genius anymore.

That is just one fact.  You touted all the stuff you gave me as factual and most of it is simply wrong.  Which makes me wonder why anyone would listen to anything you say?

You want more?  Madden was not the announcer - it was Enberg & Dierdorf..  Vanderjagt was not fired the next day.  Harper's return did not put them into field goal range.  You want more?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

That is just one fact.  You touted all the stuff you gave me as factual and most of it is simply wrong.  Which makes me wonder why anyone would listen to anything you say?

You want more?  Madden was not the announcer - it was Enberg & Dierdorf..  Vanderjagt was not fired the next day.  Harper's return did not put them into field goal range.  You want more?

So what you say is what happened? Not the fact that the Steelers played Colts in 2005 playoff game where Vanderjagt missed the game tieing FG? no problem sir. The Colts never existed in 2005 either then lol. Have a great one!

7 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

So what you say is what happened? Not the fact that the Steelers played Colts in 2005 playoff game where Vanderjagt missed the game tieing FG? no problem sir. The Colts never existed in 2005 either then lol. Have a great one!

Just admit you made a few mistakes and move on... geez.

Plus, it's not like Adam lost us any games this year.

I can remember a few where Vinny actually won the game for us this year.  You're just being hasty after one bad game.  R-E-L-A-X.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

You really think that Colts fans are not aware of the loss to the Steelers in the 2005 playoffs?

And yes, what I say happened.  I was there.  And have a vivid memory of the day.

All I said that was that your facts were wrong.  The only thing you got right was the game was against the Steelers.

47 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Just admit you made a few mistakes and move on... geez.

Plus, it's not like Adam lost us any games this year.

I can remember a few where Vinny actually won the game for us this year.  You're just being hasty after one bad game.  R-E-L-A-X.

44 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

You really think that Colts fans are not aware of the loss to the Steelers in the 2005 playoffs?

And yes, what I say happened.  I was there.  And have a vivid memory of the day.

All I said that was that your facts were wrong.  The only thing you got right was the game was against the Steelers.

So I guess you are the only two people in the world that are right.

But according to :https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200601150clt.htm

4 0:21 4th and 2 | 28 Mike Vanderjagt 46 yard field goal no good. Penalty on Mike Vanderjagt: Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards.

I dunno how people can tell a lie and act like its facts. 

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

But according to :https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200601150clt.htm

4 0:21 4th and 2 | 28 Mike Vanderjagt 46 yard field goal no good. Penalty on Mike Vanderjagt: Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards.

I dunno how people can tell a lie and act like its facts. (Alternative) Reminds me of someone.

You're a stubborn one... what exactly did @jskinnz or I post that was incorrect?

He already pointed out the parts of your original post that were incorrect.

But to your original point, what does Vanderjagts' miss have to do with Vinny?  The miss against the Steelers lost the game.  Vinny missing against the Chiefs didn't lose us the game.  The Chiefs loss was a TEAM loss in every way.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You're a stubborn one... what exactly did @jskinnz or I post that was incorrect?

He already pointed out the parts of your original post that were incorrect.

But to your original point, what does Vanderjagts' miss have to do with Vinny?  The miss against the Steelers lost the game.  Vinny missing against the Chiefs didn't lose us the game.  The Chiefs loss was a TEAM loss in every way.

Dude, You dont know anything about me. Please be respectful to myself and everyone in life!

23 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Dude, You dont know anything about me. Please be respectful to myself and everyone in life!

Ditto.  :thmup:

40 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I dunno how people can tell a lie and act like its facts.

I meant no disrespect.  You're just getting very defensive after posting a few inaccuracies.  No big deal.  It happens.  Just own it and move forward.

Bottom line:  Vinny didn't lose us any games this year.  :hat:

• Like 1