Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have fired OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo

MTC

Huh. I know he and Bubba were McDaniels' guys, but by all accounts he did a good job. Wouldn't be surprised if this has to do with more than just scheme fit and all that, like he just doesn't mesh well with the other coaches/players/etc.

Wonder what happens to Bubba though. Ballard went out of his way to praise him in his exit interview

• Like 1

This is interesting.  Many in New England were saying he was to blame for the poor OL play when Scarnecchia retired and DeGuglielmo replaced him.  No question this was McDaniels' guy, but the line did play much better this year than it has in recent years.  I wonder what role he played in that, or if it was just because we had better talent along the OL.  However, I trust Reich in making this decision.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

This is interesting.  Many in New England were saying he was to blame for the poor OL play when Scarnecchia retired and DeGuglielmo replaced him.  No question this was McDaniels' guy, but the line did play much better this year than it has in recent years.  I wonder what role he played in that, or if it was just because we had better talent along the OL.  However, I trust Reich in making this decision.

Why would they fire him this offensive line just went from worst to 1st that is stupid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

Another one of these moments, just like cutting John Simon, or trading Henry Anderson for peanuts... that seem perplexing in the moment, but end up working out in the end. I'm looking forward to seeing who comes in. I trust the staff.

Well we know who's fault it is if this o-line takes a step back in 2019 season.

Denzelle Good did say it was just one member of the organisation who he had a grievance with and so this would tie in with him going.

Although the line has made great strides this year, with the influx of talent, the improvement in offensive scheme and the return of Luck do we really know that it was DeGuglielmo that made the big difference?  

Just thinking out loud, lol.

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

That's not too hard to believe.

If you told me Reich and DeGuglielmo were not on the same page and asked me to pick one to keep......I know who I would opt for.

• Like 5

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

Well we know who's fault it is if this o-line takes a step back in 2019 season.

Entertaining your comment.

Would that be Reich or Ballard?  It sounds like Ballard hired him and Reich fired him (or had him fired), just based upon the info said in this thread.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm very surprised, even taking into consideration the variables mentioned.

Reich's new choice will have big shoes to fill.

Bingo. Even if the Good story was true it would still seem natural for them to make clear that similar situations would not be tolerated moving forward. 

Unless maybe they did and he told them to go * up a rope, so they told him to go pack a bag. 

Very curious situation. 

17 minutes ago, MTC said:

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm very surprised, even taking into consideration the variables mentioned.

Reich's new choice will have big shoes to fill.

6 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Why would they fire him this offensive line just went from worst to 1st that is stupid.

Color me very surprised.  There's more to this than performance I'd say. Still, this is a head scratching move to say the least

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Bingo. Even if the Good story was true it would still seem natural for them to make clear that similar situations would not be tolerated moving forward. 

Unless maybe they did and he told them to go * up a rope, so they told him to go pack a bag. 

Very curious situation. 

I'm not willing to assume it's due to the Good situation. I mean, Reich and Ballard agreed to release Good, and he wasn't very good anyway.

Occam's razor: The simplest answer is Reich didn't hire Gugs, they have some fundamental differences in approach, and Reich wants his own guy. 

2 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Soooooo what they are saying is that the O line can play better? :)

I don't think there's any question that the OL can play better.

• Like 5

Am I surprised? Yes. But as some mentioned, the success of the offensive line this year may have been more predicated on offensive scheme and overall talent and not so much coaching.

Either way, the offensive line cannot take a step backwards next year or everyone will turn and point to this firing.

The move will make sense IF Reich hires someone right away -- this week.    The person would either (A) already have a relationship with Frank, so there's a connection, or (B) it's someone with a top reputation.    Then things start adding up and making sense.

But.....

If we turn around and now start interviewing candidates and show we don't have someone in mind and we're just searching around, then this story will have legs and won't go away quickly.

I'm impressed that we're taking the high road and telling other teams that Coach D has not been let go due to performance,   I think that's a classy move.

Hope this works out for all parties involved....

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

Another one of these moments, just like cutting John Simon, or trading Henry Anderson for peanuts... that seem perplexing in the moment, but end up working out in the end. I'm looking forward to seeing who comes in. I trust the staff.

Post deleted by author.

Apologies to Legend of Luck.    A bad read by me.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not willing to assume it's due to the Good situation. I mean, Reich and Ballard agreed to release Good, and he wasn't very good anyway.

Occam's razor: The simplest answer is Reich didn't hire Gugs, they have some fundamental differences in approach, and Reich wants his own guy. 

I don't think there's any question that the OL can play better.

Ok, I need more in depth info from you Superman. How can they 

play better? 

You can do better than that reply. :thmup: You are one of the more 

knowledgeable posters and we deserve better than this reply. haha

So I was at training Camp and saw first hand how he degraded the players.  That was in public imagine behind closed doors.  He was not the "Teacher" that Ballard and and Reich wanted to build their Culture around. Pretty plain and simple to me.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2