Coltsfan0112

Shane Ray- A Ballard Mid-Level Gem

I know Ray isn't the attractive top tier free agent but this is something I see being very realistic for the Colts. Shane Ray hasn't lived up to the 1st round hype due to injuries and having his job taken away from Chubb but I see this as a guy Ballard may definetly scoop up. We all know Ballard values pass rushers and Ray will be cheap knowing he didn't live up to what was expected. I also think a new change of scenery would due Ray well. I think Ray was more of a fit for a 4-3 than a 3-4 and knowing how we want our DE's to go get the Qb it would be a perfect fit in my eyes. Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I know Ray isn't the attractive top tier free agent but this is something I see being very realistic for the Colts. Shane Ray hasn't lived up to the 1st round hype due to injuries and having his job taken away from Chubb but I see this as a guy Ballard may definetly scoop up. We all know Ballard values pass rushers and Ray will be cheap knowing he didn't live up to what was expected. I also think a new change of scenery would due Ray well. I think Ray was more of a fit for a 4-3 than a 3-4 and knowing how we want our DE's to go get the Qb it would be a perfect fit in my eyes. Thoughts?

Could be.

Absolutely. The guy should be a one year sign though. Has to be on a prove it contract. 

Just now, Hoose said:

Absolutely. The guy should be a one year sign though. Has to be on a prove it contract. 

This signing has Ballards' name all over it. I will give him the same deal Ebron got. 2 years 10-15 mil. Ebron earned his money, so can Ray.

Meh. I was intrigued by Shane Ray when he was drafted, but his always had mid-level athleticism, questionable size, and no bend. And watching him play, there's no tenacity, he has no pop to his game, he's kind of just... there.

I don't think he's struggled only due to injuries or depth, and definitely not due to scheme fit. I think he's struggled because he doesn't have great tools or traits.

I'd pass.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

Meh. I was intrigued by Shane Ray when he was drafted, but his always had mid-level athleticism, questionable size, and no bend. And watching him play, there's no tenacity, he has no pop to his game, he's kind of just... there.

I don't think he's struggled only due to injuries or depth, and definitely not due to scheme fit. I think he's struggled because he doesn't have great tools or traits.

I'd pass.

100%. I wasn't a big fan of his leading up to the draft. I just didn't see anything that stood out to me about him. Nothing has changed since he was drafted and I don't see it changing, even with a change of scenery.

I think the problem with signing S. Ray, is he'd been a better signing last year, versus this coming off-season. The Colts are trending upward and now need more impact players to continue progressing in the right direction.

S. Ray is a project, with a limited ceiling.  I don't see signing him as a good thing.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:35 PM, Superman said:

I'd pass.

Elway 1st rounders since 2013:

Sylvester Williams

Bradley Roby

Shane Ray

Paxton Lynch

Garrett Bolles

Bradley Chubb

Not exactly the stuff of legend.  Chubb is the first building block among them. Tough business.  Seems like the law of averages catches up with everyone.

51 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Elway 1st rounders since 2013:

Sylvester Williams

Bradley Roby

Shane Ray

Paxton Lynch

Garrett Bolles

Bradley Chubb

Not exactly the stuff of legend.  Chubb is the first building block among them. Tough business.  Seems like the law of averages catches up with everyone.

Once Brian Xanders left, their drafting fell off a cliff. Elway did a good job supplementing with free agents, but his drafting has been dreadful, especially in the first round, and especially with his QBs. Even Osweiler was picked when Xanders was still there; he left right after the 2012 draft.

But I don't think Chubb is a 'law of averages' pick. That's a top five pick, which is by far the highest pick the Broncos have had with Elway calling the shots. And aside from the QBs, the top of the 2018 draft was pretty rock solid, IMO. Any of the top eight were high floor, high ceiling guys, and they all had good to great rookie seasons.

Barkley, Ward, Chubb, Nelson, Smith, McGlinchey, Fitzpatrick, James. That was my top eight, in the order in which they were drafted (James wound up being a steal for the Chargers at #17). Hard to go wrong picking in the top five last year.

It sounds like Elway is going to take another stab at QB this year. Best of luck to him. He has a lot of goodwill in Denver, but it sounds like Pat Bowlen's family is getting antsy. He's hired four head coaches (if you include John Fox, which I do), failed on every QB except Manning, and his drafting has been bad. I think his seat is getting hot.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Superman said:

Once Brian Xanders left, their drafting fell off a cliff. Elway did a good job supplementing with free agents, but his drafting has been dreadful, especially in the first round, and especially with his QBs. Even Osweiler was picked when Xanders was still there; he left right after the 2012 draft.

But I don't think Chubb is a 'law of averages' pick. That's a top five pick, which is by far the highest pick the Broncos have had with Elway calling the shots. And aside from the QBs, the top of the 2018 draft was pretty rock solid, IMO. Any of the top eight were high floor, high ceiling guys, and they all had good to great rookie seasons.

Barkley, Ward, Chubb, Nelson, Smith, McGlinchey, Fitzpatrick, James. That was my top eight, in the order in which they were drafted (James wound up being a steal for the Chargers at #17). Hard to go wrong picking in the top five last year.

It sounds like Elway is going to take another stab at QB this year. Best of luck to him. He has a lot of goodwill in Denver, but it sounds like Pat Bowlen's family is getting antsy. He's hired four head coaches (if you include John Fox, which I do), failed on every QB except Manning, and his drafting has been bad. I think his seat is getting hot.

It's a tough business to stay a hero in...not sure I blame P Manning for staying out of it thus far.  

3 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

It's a tough business to stay a hero in...not sure I blame P Manning for staying out of it thus far.  

Especially with the Colts. I'm not sure that there was ever a position for him -- I'm sure Irsay would make room for him, if he really wanted in -- but it would be hard to have to fire a legend from a position like that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Especially with the Colts. I'm not sure that there was ever a position for him -- I'm sure Irsay would make room for him, if he really wanted in -- but it would be hard to have to fire a legend from a position like that. 

Exactly.  You can't be where the buck stops in this business unless you want some tarnish on your brand.

On 1/17/2019 at 11:52 AM, Superman said:

I never saw Peyton as a GM.  IMO...Best fit for him with the Colts would be as an Offensive Consultant, QB Coach or something else along those lines where we can tap into his brilliant mind for the X's  and O's of the game. 

5 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I had a feeling Ballard was going to give him a look

Got any "feelings" about lottery numbers?

32 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Got any "feelings" about lottery numbers?

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

By the sound of things, Ray may be a 'tweener who can't find success at any one position regardless of scheme.  I still like the idea of taking the devil's rejects with talent and giving them a shot... but as the thread suggests it should be an inexpensive Ballardesque acquisition.  

Im down for signing Ray. Hes better than some of the depth players we currently have and have had. A better player than Barkevious Mingo who we signed off the scrap heap a couple seasons ago and got decent production out of. If he can get back to being an 8 sack or more guy thats a plus. If not then i assume its a short term contract and he will be out the door sooner than later. His signing shouldnt prevent us from drafting someone though obviously.  I say give the man a shot. They might end up signing Aaron Lynch over him though. Thats possible.

• Like 1