Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What does Cox do better that Swoope?

GusFring

2 hours ago, GusFring said:

That catch vs Oak was beautiful, but thats all I ever saw from him this yr. Swoope makes plays. This reminds me of Grigson with AQ. 

If all a tight end needs to do is catch then this could be a discussion.  Unfortunately for Swoope it is not.

Without Doyle we were devoid of blocking talent at the TE position as this is not Ebron's game.  Cox excelled at this on a number of occasions and was specifically mentioned by a number of people in the media and Colts locker room.

The other thing is we have seen tangible progression with Alie-Cox from where he started, especially on the blocking side.  I would say that Swoope is the same player he was when he walked through the door on his first day.

• Like 3

I think Cox and Hewitt are both better than Swoope at blocking. Cox and Hewitt might be better all around at catching too. I used to be a Swoope fan, but he's hurt so often. There's a reason he's available. I think a team (the Saints?) maybe picked him up and they released him pretty quickly. 

I would like to see both Cox and Hewitt used more in the passing game. 

Swoope does not have the same chops I saw from him in 2016. We got Ebron for the receiving TE role and have Doyle for the occasional catching too. There is a reason why Dwayne Allen is still on the Patriots' roster, even though he rarely catches balls. Blocking from TEs is valued far more around the league than we know.

I think with Jack going down they really needed him as a blocker more than a weapon. Also, this guy is still developing and with Swoope i think we saw what his ceiling was. I think Cox has a lot of potential especially as a duel threat. Just needs to tap into it. This offseason and training camp will be big for him. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John Waylon said:

In this case?

Yes. You are jumping to conclusions. This was a totally legitimate post. 

With this OP?  I don't think they are.  This OP is becoming notorious for starting outrageous drive-by threads and never returning for the actual discussion.

I get the feeling whenever someone asks a question like the OP, they already think they know the answer.  It's just a loaded question trying to prove a point...

And what's with people asking questions in these forums when they could just use Google and Youtube, or, you know, go to a website run by football "experts"?  We have knowledgeable members, but these forums are basically just a dumping ground for opinions...

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 2:49 AM, GusFring said:

That catch vs Oak was beautiful, but thats all I ever saw from him this yr. Swoope makes plays. This reminds me of Grigson with AQ. 

Swoope should remind you of Grigson with Swoope, that's who brought him in.....  Swoope is ok as a 3rd TE, but he's not developed as a blocker, and ir rarely healthy.  Cox had developed lightning fast, considering they were both Bball players.  I think Cox's build is better for the transition to TE.  He is also a much better blocker than Swoope, while being just as capable of running routes and making athletic plays as a Receiving option....

On 1/15/2019 at 12:49 AM, GusFring said:

As others have said above.. Swoope is injured frequently, he is a very poor blocker and he is not much (if at all) better than Cox as a receiver.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:36 AM, DaveA1102 said:

If all a tight end needs to do is catch then this could be a discussion.  Unfortunately for Swoope it is not.

Without Doyle we were devoid of blocking talent at the TE position as this is not Ebron's game.  Cox excelled at this on a number of occasions and was specifically mentioned by a number of people in the media and Colts locker room.

The other thing is we have seen tangible progression with Alie-Cox from where he started, especially on the blocking side.  I would say that Swoope is the same player he was when he walked through the door on his first day.

I think Swoope definitely developed nicely between his first day and his 2nd year, but he doesn't seem to have done much growing since then.  

Although he's athletic and has good hands, he doesn't really  seem to be able to run after the catch and he doesn't really seem to be able to block or stay healthy.  There was a time when I thought he'd turn into a very good yards after catch guy, but that seemed to not work out.

7 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

With this OP?  I don't think they are.  This OP is becoming notorious for starting outrageous drive-by threads and never returning for the actual discussion.

I get the feeling whenever someone asks a question like the OP, they already think they know the answer.  It's just a loaded question trying to prove a point...

And what's with people asking questions in these forums when they could just use Google and Youtube, or, you know, go to a website run by football "experts"?  We have knowledgeable members, but these forums are basically just a dumping ground for opinions...

That's because once the logic and reason starts to show up he realizes he's in way over his depth and he pulls one of these:

giphy.gif

But it started with very real, conscious thoughts I'm sure. 

• Haha 1

Allie-Cox played 9 games this year.    Started one.

Swoope played 8 games this year.     I think he started two.

Swoope is more in the mold of Ebron...    more receiver than blocker, but the coaches and Ballard says Swoope has gotten bigger and better as a blocker,  but receiving is still his primary skill set.

Allie-Cox is more blocker than receiver,  though he did make the best catch of the season.   But it was only one catch.

Neither has a football background.   They're learning on the PS....   it's on the job training.

But the concept of Swoope blocking the path of MAC the way others blocked our back-up center, AQ Shipley,  about 5 years ago is NOT supported by facts.    Those facts can be pesky.    Like running into a wall.

• Like 2

Both will continue to improve considering they are relatively new to competitive football.  Cox is a little heavier and a better blocker.  Cox besides that spectacular 1 hand grad TD against Oakland has not caught a lot of passes.  However, when he did, he seemed to have pretty good run after the catch ability.  Swoope is a dangerous downfield receiver for a TE and also has a knack for catching TD's, like Ebron.  I was disappointed when we let Swoope go and pleased when we re-signed.  Hopefully,  his injury is resolved by mini and training camp.  Especially if Doyle is unable to return, whom I like a reliable TE for us, as long as he stops fumbling.