Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip Rivers or Eli Manning To The HoF?

King Colt

Neither.

Eli - a .500 QB whose has made the playoffs in just 6 out of 15 years. Two SB's and 4 one and dones. Although I am forever grateful for him beating the Pats.

Rivers - Also, just 6 playoff appearances in 15 seasons.

In this era, where the rules are constantly changing to help the passing game, a HOF QB needs to at least make the playoffs close to 50% of their seasons.

Not sure how Kurt Warner got in.

• Haha 1

Eli has been a good QB,  and he has had several great runs and memorable, historic even, moments. (as I type this, I am starting to rethink my earlier post where I said "no.")

Rivers has been a good QB, and I really can't remember a great moment.

I don't think EITHER of them make it first time or even 2nd time on the ballot.  If I had to pick, I'd guess Eli would just for the 2 rings over the Patriots.  But even then, I don't see it being a lock. Will depend on who else is on the ballot at the time. 

Rivers wont get in. There's no way.

Neither. Rivers is closer though. I think he's a good barometer for HOF.. In a sense that if you're better QB than Rivers, you get in.

p

Neither Rivers nor Eli have ever been regular season MVPs or even close to it. No All-Pros. Never considered a top 3 active player at their position and not even top5 for most of the time. Eli has been out of top 10 for close to a half of his career and was rarely the best player on his own team.

• Like 1

Nfl hall not as hard as mlb's But I would vote NEITHER.

Eli is just  slightly better than average. Has a strong influential family and 2 playoff runs that yeilded rings that will undeservingly probably get him in.

Rivers is just a stat qb that throws a lot. Has never carried his team to deep post season success like a true hall of famer should.

• Like 1

Eli is a no brainer. One of his SB wins changed NFL history when his team beat the undefeated Pats in 2007. He won MVP in that game as well. Then his team beat the Pats again in 2011 where he once again won MVP. Lets talk Stats, not many realize that Eli has 55,981 Yards passing and 360 TD's - those are Hall of Fame Stats without the SB wins. Elway had just over 51,000 Yards and 300 TD's for his career. Montana had just over 40,000 Yards and 273 TD's for his career.

-Big Ben only has 3 more career TD's at 363 and has thrown for just 100 more Yards and both came out the same year. Ben never won SB MVP in his 2 SB wins like Eli did and most would agree that Ben is a Hall of Famer. Eli never missed a start either for years, his durability was outstanding.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Eli is a no brainer. One of his SB wins changed NFL history when his team beat the undefeated Pats in 2007. He won MVP in that game as well. Then his team beat the Pats again in 2011 where he once again won MVP. Lets talk Stats, not many realize that Eli has 55,981 Yards passing and 360 TD's - those are Hall of Fame Stats without the SB wins. Elway had just over 51,000 Yards and 300 TD's for his career. Montana had just over 40,000 Yards and 273 TD's for his career.

-Big Ben only has 3 more career TD's at 363 and has thrown for just 100 more Yards and both came out the same year. Ben never won SB MVP in his 2 SB wins like Eli did and most would agree that Ben is a Hall of Famer. Eli never missed a start either for years, his durability was outstanding.

Eli played in a favorable era for QBs. IMO he wasn't the real MVP for those SBs but that's arguable. He missed playoffs 7 out of 9 times this decade. Yes, team game, but that doesn't happen to truly elite QBs.

Big Ben has better TD/INT ratio, Yards per game, YPA, has been the best player on his team for more years and has (had) been considered/argued to be top 5 QB longer than Eli, who was that maybe one or two of his 15 seasons. But like Eli, no All-Pros or regular season MVPs for Ben. And they haven't won the SB when he became the best player on his team.  So I think there's a case for Ben to not make it.

Eli has less TDs per game than Matt Ryan. And Matt Stafford. Along with worse TD/INT ratio. In raw stats he's leading them but those guys will likely pass Eli in raw stats too or close the gap significantly when Eli will be eligible for HOF. Eli acually ranks 10th in yards per game among all QBs with at least 100 games played since '05(signficant change in passing rules) and has thrown by far the most picks. Eli averages more than 1 INT per game. Since '05 and with at least 100 starts at QB, only Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer and Ryan Fitzpatrick have done the same. 

Eli was durable, good player for a long time who played great in two SB runs. That's not HOFer imo. Peyton, Brees, Brady and Rodgers are/were the best or one of the best for a long time and carried their teams, They are HOFers.

• Like 1

Both will get in.

Super bowls are not the measuring stick for the HOF.

Dan Fouts

Jim Kelly

Sonny Jurgenson

Bobby Layne

Dan Marino

Fran Tarkenton

Warren Moon

Y A Tittle

Norm Van Brocklin

Bob Waterfield.

None of these QBs in the modern era had a super bowl or a NFL championship.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 10:34 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Both IMO. Eli and his team has beaten the Patriots not once but twice to get his 2 Rings. His 2 are very legit as he won MVP in both. Rivers has made it far in the Playoffs several times and his numbers are HOFame worthy.

I disagree that he earned both, first one belonged to any member of the giants D line.. he tried hard to give the game to NE and Samual dropped the ball.. the second one he most definitely earned though! 

Eli has the jewelry and a few passing records. I think hes 8th all time in passing yards. Rivers is obviously the more talented of the two, but unfortunately you are graded more heavily by championships as unfair or not that is

6 hours ago, Surge89 said:

What would that argument be?  Honest curiosity.

What does W. Moon have on K. Warner for starters. Answer to that, is longevity. Is that what puts a player into Canton? Gale Sales played 6 years and Jim Brown 9 years. Are they questionable HOFs? Absolutely not!

Stats: Warren Moon

SUMMARY

Career G 208 QB rec 102-101-0 Cmp% 58.4 Yds 49325 Y/A 7.2 TD 291 Int 233

Playoffs: 10 Games with 3-7 record worst among all HOF quarterbacks. S. Jerguson oddly played in none.

Awards:

9× Pro Bowl (1988–1995, 1997)

First-team All-Pro (1990)

NEA NFL Most Valuable Player (1990)

NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1990)

AFC Player of the Year (1990)

Pro Bowl MVP (1998)

NFL Man of the Year (1989)

Bart Starr Man of the Year Award (1994)

2× NFL passing yards leader (1990, 1991)

NFL passing touchdowns leader (1990)

Stats: Kurt Warner

Summary

Career

G 124 QB rec 67-49-0 Cmp% 65.5 Yds 32344 Y/A 7.9 TD 208 Int 128

Playoffs: 13 Games 9-4 record 2 SBs

Awards:

Bert Bell Award (1999)

2× NFL passing touchdowns leader (1999, 2001)

2× NFL passer rating leader (1999, 2001)

2× First-Team All-Pro (1999, 2001)

2× AP NFL Most Valuable Player (1999, 2001)

4× Pro Bowl (1999–2001, 2008)

Super Bowl champion (XXXIV)

Super Bowl MVP (XXXIV)

NFL passing yards leader (2001)

NEA NFL Most Valuable Player (2008)

Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year (2008)

Like I said, if longevity puts you in Canton, Moon sets the bar. I'm not debating if Moon should be in, but why shouldn't Warner with his achievements compared to Moon's career?

I would also add, that Rivers probably deserves to get in, if longevity plays a role and not playoff success. Manning has two SBs and played a very long extensive career (like Moon) does he deserve in too? :dunno:

Hope this answered your curiosity!

IMO the NFL HOF is to easy to obtain, so i think they both make it, Eli for his superbowls and Rivers for his consistency and stats (assuming he doesn't win a SB).

Now do i agree with this...not at all, of the three sports i follow Football, Hockey and Baseball, NFL is by far the easiest to become HOF. I think NFL should adjusts the standards to make it more difficult.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

IMO the NFL HOF is to easy to obtain, so i think they both make it, Eli for his superbowls and Rivers for his consistency and stats (assuming he doesn't win a SB).

Now do i agree with this...not at all, of the three sports i follow Football, Hockey and Baseball, NFL is by far the easiest to become HOF. I think NFL should adjusts the standards to make it more difficult.

It's become the Hall of the Exceptionally good in all of them.

Harold Baines is newest example in MLB.

:facepalm:

10 hours ago, MPStack said:

Does that make you angry?

No, just curious. You said:

On 1/17/2019 at 3:10 PM, MPStack said:

I would argue the same with W. Moon.

I asked to hear your argument. It seems that you don't have one. That's ok. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:29 PM, King Colt said:

Which one deserves to go if either deserves it? If the choice was yours which one would go?

Both will go in easily......the numbers are way too strong and the longevity ensures their election.

How about a tough one:  Carson Palmer?

294 touchdowns, 187 interceptions ….3,941 of 6,307 for 46, 247 yards  (///  62.5% in 182 career games.

Pro Bowl: 3 times....Led the NFL in completion percentage in 20105

….led the NFC is passing TDs (35) in 2015

…….AFC Player of the Year..2005

Comeback Player of the Year...2015

46,237 yards in 13th all-time in the NFL  (Eli and Phil are in the top-10)

But Carson Palmer played in only four playoff games in his entire career.

What do you think?

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:29 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Exactly...Eli and Ben are in without question because they have the numbers AND the titles.

Ben is 6th all-time in passing yards and he's over 360 TDs.

My favorite 'unknown' stat is that Matt Hasselbeck is 26th all-time in passing yards: 36,638.

That just tickles me for some reason.:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Both will go in easily......the numbers are way too strong and the longevity ensures their election.

294 touchdowns, 187 interceptions ….3,941 of 6,307 for 46, 247 yards  (///  62.5% in 182 career games.

What do you think?

Its funny you mention Palmer, because his numbers are very similar to W. Moon.

Both QBs had very limited success in the playoffs. Neither played in a conference Championship, but the stats are very similar.  Moon of course, played longer.

When I read people say QB’s should have playoff success to get in the HOF, I can’t stop thinking of Moon and Fouts. Either did much in the playoffs and Moon only had two double digit win seasons. 

Another interesting QB in comparison to Moon, stat and record wise is Drew Bledsoe. 

However, I don’t think Palmer is HOF worthy.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

What do you think?

Palmer deserves the HOF just for the fact he played for Cincy all that time. :D

• Like 1