Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard press conference

SC-Coltsfan

One interesting thing I found to note was when Kevin Bowen described how last year Chris Ballard admitted that the oline was the most 'deficient' on the roster, Bowen asked in 2019 was there a group that sttod out that needs the most work. Chris Ballard, while stating no groups played terribly, he was very quick and adamant that the pass rush has to be a cornerstone of their play and that the dline play has to jump out and travel into the post season. He also slightly down played the importance in investing alot into the wide reciever position, identifying coaching as most important.

Nothing new here obviously from Ballard, but still I think this is a good idea as to where most of the draft capital and cap space will be going towards.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

One interesting thing I found to note was when Kevin Bowen described how last year Chris Ballard admitted that the oline was the most 'deficient' on the roster, Bowen asked in 2019 was there a group that sttod out that needs the most work. Chris Ballard, while stating no groups played terribly, he was very quick and adamant that the pass rush has to be a cornerstone of their play and that the dline play has to jump out and travel into the post season. He also slightly down played the importance in investing alot into the wide reciever position, identifying coaching as most important.

Nothing new here obviously from Ballard, but still I think this is a good idea as to where most of the draft capital and cap space will be going towards.

Translation: He’s gonna go out and try to improve the DL even more and get us a good pash rusher because there’s no magic bullet available at WR so coaches will have to coach up the ones we have.

At least that’s my interpretation 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Straight up love that dude. Got a problem?!? Fight me!

what I really loved hearing was how everyone was ready eyed and disappointed. You can't buy that learning lesson. That feeling is what pushes you to the next level. To make you want to strive to be the best. You don't learn from success. You learn from the heartache and disappointment. 

I like Ballard I really do. He nailed this past draft but his first is suspect. He’s talked about stacking draft class, this is a big year for him because people are starting to believe. That brings more pressure on him. But I think he can handle it

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

I like Ballard I really do. He nailed this past draft but his first is suspect. He’s talked about stacking draft class, this is a big year for him because people are starting to believe. That brings more pressure on him. But I think he can handle it

I doubt he drafts Quincy Wilson if he had Eberflus' 4-3 zone system in mind, that to me screams Pagano system pick. Both of his first 2 picks were for the secondary and in Eberflus' system, the safety probably is a bigger piece than the CB. That is why I feel he couldn't go all in for what he wanted to implement in his first year. It ended up being convenient that Luck being absent and Pagano being a lame duck coach in the same season gave him grounds to move on to Reich and implement truly the system he wanted and hire coaches and draft players for the same. 

Even the HOF Bill Polian had several missed picks. Now that Ballard has the system and coaches he wants and got the OL backbone he admitted he did not go after in his first draft rodeo (he saw Brissett getting sacked considerably in his first year and knew more had to be done on the OL front especially for a QB coming back from injury). Now, moving onwards, I want to see the impact players, regardless of offense or defense. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I doubt he drafts Quincy Wilson if he had Eberflus' 4-3 zone system in mind, that to me screams Pagano system pick. That is why I feel he couldn't go all in for what he wanted to implement in his first year. It ended up being convenient that Luck being absent and Pagano being a lame duck coach in the same season gave him grounds to move on to Reich and implement truly the system he wanted and hire coaches and draft players for the same. 

Even the HOF Bill Polian had several missed picks. Now that Ballard has the system and coaches he wants and got the OL backbone he admitted he did not go after in his first draft rodeo, I want to see the impact players, regardless of offense or defense. 

He talked about a lot of that in his presser. Not just Quincy (and maybe he doesn't pick him for this system, but I think Quincy is right for this system), but understanding what Eberflus wants for his defense, having the coaches and scouts together for a full offseason, evaluating and drafting with a better feel for what works for the coaching staff, etc. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I was referring to the “downplayed investing in the WR group highly” part

Ah, separate comment, separate conclusion. Got it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I doubt he drafts Quincy Wilson if he had Eberflus' 4-3 zone system in mind, that to me screams Pagano system pick. That is why I feel he couldn't go all in for what he wanted to implement in his first year. It ended up being convenient that Luck being absent and Pagano being a lame duck coach in the same season gave him grounds to move on to Reich and implement truly the system he wanted and hire coaches and draft players for the same. 

Even the HOF Bill Polian had several missed picks. Now that Ballard has the system and coaches he wants and got the OL backbone he admitted he did not go after in his first draft rodeo, I want to see the impact players, regardless of offense or defense. 

Very true points. Agree with most of what you said. The basham and banner picks look really bad. Hairston has regressed. Walker looks decent. Hooker?? Can he stay healthy, same could be said about Mack. Every time he gets tackled I’m like please get up.

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

Instead you have a problem with people actually liking Ballard, as if there's something wrong with that.

Ooooooo, and he has those dreamy eyes.....really knows how to speak. Ballard just gets my heart all a flutter.....

Not. 

The man just gave the most honest, non coach speak, complete presser I have seen in the NFL. All substance, and devoid of horse pucky. Freaking loved it. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Yeah who the heck knows what happened last year but that draft sucked. Especially in comparison to this year. Hopefully he's trending up and nails it this year too! I think our scouts are bringing it!!

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah who the heck knows what happened last year but that draft sucked. Especially in comparison to this year. Hopefully he's trending up and nails it this year too! I think our scouts are bringing it!!

It's hard to say it sucked. 

Hooker

Walker

Mack

Quincy

Not the deepest,but better than anything we got post 2012

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I was referring to the “downplayed investing in the WR group highly” part

I'm not sure that's what he was saying.  Last year, he admitted he didn't invest enough in the O-line.  He was asked if there was a group this season he could say that about.  He was more praising Ebron and Reich's work with Ebron than commenting on anything philosophical moving forward.  Plus, he's all over the place at times.  He says they're prudent in free agency, but then admits he couldn't find matches because not a lot of players wanted to come here.  

WR needs an upgrade.   I'm certain he knows it.  

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Plus, he's all over the place at times.  He says they're prudent in free agency, but then admits he couldn't find matches because not a lot of players wanted to come here.  

I didn't find those comments hard to reconcile. He didn't say prudent, he said disciplined. They have a value on guys, and there are guys they like, but the interest has to be mutual and they have to be able to agree on a number.

WR needs an upgrade.   I'm certain he knows it.  

Agreed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

What he said about QW was telling. There's been something going on with Quincy since his rookie year, and no one would really talk about it. Then Quincy started kind of talking about it this year, but only once he started getting regular playing time. Ballard said in so many words 'Quincy wasn't ready to be a pro, and he needed more help than we gave him.'

And it just confirms that a) there was actually something going on with him from the beginning, not just a he's in the doghouse / the coaches don't like him / he doesn't fit the scheme kind of thing. No, he was having bigger issues, and hopefully he gets it now; and b) Ballard is willing to give honest, insightful answers to certain topics, and he's introspective enough to recognize that the staff could have handled their 20 year old second rounder a little bit better than they did.

That's encouraging, especially because Jalen Collins is on the roster, because Deon Cain is on the roster, and because there will be other young guys who have had "issues" and need support, and the staff is willing to acknowledge that and provide said help.

Well said. He flat out admitted his part in QW failure early on. To what level of that was actually his failure, doesn't matter. He took ownership of it. And he did it in a way that makes it impossible to doubt his word. QW listens to that, and he likely work even harder in the future. 

What Ballard gets more than anything, is people. How to treat them, what to demand of them, and how to show trust. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

What Ballard gets more than anything, is people. How to treat them, what to demand of them, and and how to show trust. 

I was struck by his film review session with the press after last year's draft. Talk about getting people. 

He also gets perspective. That was obvious throughout the presser today, but no more than during the presser after McDaniels backed out. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Well said. He flat out admitted his part in QW failure early on. To what level of that was actually his failure, doesn't matter. He took ownership of it. And he did it in a way that makes it impossible to doubt his word. QW listens to that, and he likely work even harder in the future. 

What Ballard gets more than anything, is people. How to treat them, what to demand of them, and how to show trust. 

Between on the job responsibilities and game planning, coaches can only do so much when a player is not truly ready to be a pro.

However, shouldn’t that be vetted before the draft? It’s always hard to find someone that knows a player as a coach to be honest about both the pros and cons. The scout can scour all they want but if the coach embellished your strengths while in college and omitted several weaknesses, I wonder how GMs and scouts can be prepared for something like we went through with QW.

Its likely the same happened with DJoun Smith too.

54 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Very true points. Agree with most of what you said. The basham and banner picks look really bad. Hairston has regressed. Walker looks decent. Hooker?? Can he stay healthy, same could be said about Mack. Every time he gets tackled I’m like please get up.

Sorry but i think others went deep for getting B & B. And they got fired.
Has Hairston regressed?
I know he started fast last year and got torched the last half of the season.
Pretty sure he got beat out. Walker IS decent for a 2nd year 5th rounder that got some good PT.
 Hooker, people get hurt.
 Mack. Silly. The 5th leading rusher the last 10 games. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He said Brissett will be back unless a team offers the right deal to the colts and it’s a good situation for Brissett. He wants the kid to succeed if he does leave.

Pretty clever of Ballard mentioning Brissett like that.

I'd say Ballard was networking a little, knowing that Brissett's trade value isn't that high.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Both of Ballard’s draft classes have been good, yes this years was a homerun but his first class was good too.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Pretty clever of Ballard mentioning Brissett like that.

I'd say Ballard was networking a little, knowing that Brissett's trade value isn't that high.

Brissett's value is higher with the Colts than with any other team, there is no denying that. That is why he does not get moved till he hits free agency, IMO. So I wouldn't be surprised if we get a 7th round QB as a backup to prepare for it. 

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you think Ballard cares more for a trade than he does Brissett? 

He clearly said that it had to be a wow deal for the colts and Brissett. He wants him to succeed if he is traded. He loves that kid and it showed the way he talked about him. Now I am sure if the colts were word by a deal and Brissett wanted to go he would honor his wishes if it was a good deal for the colts.

i have been away from the colts a few years. I didn’t realize Brissett was the same size as Luck. I can see why a team might take a chance on him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He clearly said that it had to be a wow deal for the colts and Brissett. He wants him to succeed if he is traded. He loves that kid and it showed the way he talked about him. Now I am sure if the colts were word by a deal and Brissett wanted to go he would honor his wishes if it was a good deal for the colts.

i have been away from the colts a few years. I didn’t realize Brissett was the same size as Luck. I can see why a team might take a chance on him.

A team my take a chance on Brissett because he showed that he could possibly be a starter in the NFL, not because of his size...

9 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

A team my take a chance on Brissett because he showed that he could possibly be a starter in the NFL, not because of his size...

9 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Understand that. I didn’t watch the colts last year. So I don’t know how he has played. I have been away from the colts for a few years because I was sick and had a lot of changes in my life. I was just commenting his size is what GM look for in a QB.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Understand that. I didn’t watch the colts last year. So I don’t know how he has played. I have been away from the colts for a few years because I was sick and had a lot of changes in my life. I was just commenting his size is what GM look for in a QB.

I know you said you was away, which is why I said what I did. Size really doesn’t have anything to do with it anymore, he isn’t being drafted. He proved last year, at least to some, that he could possibly be a starter. I’d take him over a couple QB’s starting for teams currently....Blake Bortles for sure.

7 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I know you said you was away, which is why I said what I did. Size really doesn’t have anything to do with it anymore, he isn’t being drafted. He proved last year, at least to some, that he could possibly be a starter. I’d take him over a couple QB’s starting for teams currently....Blake Bortles for sure.

7 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I did look up his stats on wiki. We might of sucked last year but he did have some big games. When everyone was saying he had trade value I was confused because I didn’t realize he did have some good games last year.

OMG.  For those of you who do not have the 50 minutes it takes to listen to the entire presser, here are the cliffs notes.  Sorry for the length, but it was almost an hour long:

He thanked Irsay, the staff, Reich, and the fans.  He mentioned he loved the city and the fans, and their passion.  The Colts don't have jobs if its not for the fans,etc, etc.  Character matters in a locker room.  Views the team as a family and mentioned the tears that were shed.  Talked about struggle and sacrifice. 

Admitted to giving a generic answer that he gave in the past about free agency.  Any FA will have to fit in the locker room and work hard.  FAs didn't find Colts attractive last year. Said just because the fans or the media don't know him, doesn't mean they are not good players (mentioned Walden Autry).   Said the time to acquire players for the team is FA, the draft, second FA, and then cut down day.

Said the young guys are good enough to play and develop but he always looks to improve the roster.  Loves everything Clayton Geathers did this year considering injury.  The KC game reflected a long tiring season..

Praised KC players and mentioned he was there when a lot of the players were drafted, LOL.  

Asked about investing the oline.  He said even though we gave up 56 sacks last year he never saw that there was a terrible talent deficiency there. (Must come as a shock to so many here...or else he's lying), but will continue to invest in both oline and dline.

Talked about Manning, Reggie, EJ, etc and how they were good dudes and were like family.  Repeats stuff about struggle and bonding and ring of honor.  The draft room was excited at the end of the day last year.  Reich interviewed very well.  Has conviction and owns things.

He says he likes to sleep at night.  Talked up Jacoby Brissett (for brevity, I won't repeat others comments).  Said "I'm just not sending him anywhere". (Meaning he's looking to send him....and he'll send him anywhere if the price is right).

He thinks Adam can still kick in the NFL. Also very important to the locker room.

Going into last off season, never wavered on Andrew.  Knew we had the right scouts in the building, just needed the right coach.

Need to be relentless in working hard to improve.

This will be the first normal off season since he's been here.  Can build on consistency and tweek what we have.

As far as draft, "we'll stay the course".  FAs "will have to fit the team".  Need cap space to sign our own in 2 to 3 years.  Doesn't matter if Bill or Ryan drafted him.  Got our eyes on the 89% cap spending rule.  Eventually bills come due, but it won't be an issue for what he wants to do.

Proud of Quincy Wilson.  Drafted him when he was 20 years old.  He did not help him emotionally prepare, but is seeing the plan now.  Sometimes it takes time, and a player can't just be a great player upon being drafted.  Have to be able to take criticism.

Talked up his scouts.  Talked up Leonard. Sort of blamed the Cincy loss on the late game fumble.  Talked up Margus Hunt about being a good 3 and 1, but will see how things will work out.

Chap mentioned that Ballard seemed to be in "no hurry to leave".  The other press people thought that was funny. 

Thought Smith was a T early on since we had Slauson at G.  But never played him there until the NE game out of necessity.

Repeats stuff about character and building relationships with people....awwww.

We stick together as a team and organization.  The team hurts for each other after the KC loss.

Need clear idea of what we're looking for and clear idea of finding a player to fit a specific role in the schemes.  ( He didn't seem to say that we just look for good football players).

Interested in seeing how the remaining defenses hold up against the O's.  Will always look to trade if it makes sense.

That's a wrap!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Well remember, his first Colts draft was with Grigson’s draft crew and picking for Pagano’s scheme.  This past year, he had his own draft crew in place.  He gets a pass for his first draft. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Well remember, his first Colts draft was with Grigson’s draft crew and picking for Pagano’s scheme.  This past year, he had his own draft crew in place.  He gets a pass for his first draft. 

He doesn’t need a pass no it wasn’t the homerun this class was but it was still a good class.  He got three starters out of it and two role players out of it.  That’s not a bad draft.

• Like 2