SC-Coltsfan

Ballard press conference

Recommended Posts

Mod edit, merged title: That may have been the best press conference I've ever heard

 

Thank you Chris Ballard. You da man

 

Edit: My favorite part was when he practically admitted that he was a goofball for not hiring Frank Reich in the first place. He knew he had the right man and how special he was after Reich took full credit for the loss against Houston in overtime.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that stood out to me is that he admitted free agents weren’t knocking down the door to come to Indy last year but thinks that’s changed. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He just had a very long press conference that was very impressive. Bunch of tidbits in there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was very impressive. One thing that really stood out to me is how he said he would not trade Brissett unless it was a good fit for him. He cares so much about the players.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t remember ever getting so much honesty and humility from a GM. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely...whole heartedly ... love that man. He is EXACTLY the type of person I want in charge of this team. The highest of character, an EXTRAORDINARY amount of detail and thoroughness in everything he does for the team. I just can never show my admiration for him enough. Hearing the processes he uses to evaluate the team, and his mindset on finding the right men to lead the locker room, it's just all so impressive. He's like my football spirit animal. We just see the game the same way. I'm could go on all day, but... I am just so thankful. Irsay was right...best GM of the century.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HarryTheCat I had to pull up the video from the Colts page on Facebook. I can’t find it on the Colts page anymore. But if you can get on Facebook, the video is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Is that press conference available on video? Or even just the audio?

It should be on the colts app, that's where I was watching it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CamMo said:

@HarryTheCat I had to pull up the video from the Colts page on Facebook. I can’t find it on the Colts page anymore. But if you can get on Facebook, the video is there.

Thanks! Just found it on Facebook!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing for sure he isn’t going to spend money on a big free agent just to spend money.  I just hope we can get more playmakers or young players that didn’t play this year will mature.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

One thing for sure he isn’t going to spend money on a big free agent just to spend money.  I just hope we can get more playmakers or young players that didn’t play this year will mature.

 

And that's the key. He IS willing to spend money on a player, only IF the contract and the PLAYER make sense for the team and the locker room especially.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that part where ballard sighed then said he'll talk with vinny has me a bit nervous that he could be out the door but that's just me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't help but get excited when you see someone of his character, class, and leadership leading the organization

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

that part where ballard sighed then said he'll talk with vinny has me a bit nervous that he could be out the door but that's just me

I got the impression he will be coming back. We need to keep him until we find a great kicker.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

One thing that stood out to me is that he admitted free agents weren’t knocking down the door to come to Indy last year but thinks that’s changed. 

 

I said it over and over at the time.  I knew that was a lie.  We were pursuing them - they were just signing elsewhere.  

 

That said, we might have lucked out with a few of them signing elsewhere.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He said Brissett will be back unless a team offers the right deal to the colts and it’s a good situation for Brissett. He wants the kid to succeed if he does leave.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I got the impression he will be coming back. We need to keep him until we find a great kicker.

It sounded more like, "We want him back, we just need to agree on contract terms." IMO. He spoke about how important Vinny was to the locker room and teaching the young guys how to be true pros. Ballard values that highly. I think he'll be back.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

He specifically said that it would be great if we could have 3 good WRs to rely upon.

 

No doubt about that.  

 

He knows what to do.  For a guy who has yet to win a Super Bowl, I have about as much faith in him as you could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I got the impression he will be coming back. We need to keep him until we find a great kicker.

How do we find a great kicker without giving that player a legit chance in games over the course of a season, or half a season? Badgley was perfect in preseason and we cut him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe he specifically addressed needs for next season with comments that have already been posted here.

 

He's been a part of 2 of the 3 teams to start 1-5 and make the playoffs and knows how hard that is to do.

 

I think he's laid the foundation and will not work on building it up from here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard's investment in strength and conditioning was worth it (he mentions it by thanking Irsay for willing to do the extra investment), and if I am not mistaken, this has been one of the better years of health we have enjoyed as a Colts team (knock on wood) in recent years!!!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Ballard's investment in strength and conditioning was worth it (he mentions it by thanking Irsay for willing to do the extra investment), and if I am not mistaken, this has been one of the better years of health we have enjoyed as a Colts team (knock on wood) in recent years!!!

 

I believe we really did improve in that area...yes, we had injuries, but no more than most other teams.  Football players get hurt and every team has to deal with injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few more things I gathered:

 

1. He may not be as averse to bringing vets in for leadership reasons as he touched on Matt Slauson, Mike Mitchell and their leadership etc. as long as it was a good locker room fit.

2. He probably missed seeing the experience Frank Reich brought in as a player and having been in multiple organizations, something Josh McDaniels was not going to bring. It was an indirect way of admitting an "oops, I almost missed it but thankfully lucked into it", I felt, good that he was candid about it.

3. He did admit the Chiefs were clearly the better team and felt FAs will look at Indy possibly more favorably this offseason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

One thing for sure he isn’t going to spend money on a big free agent just to spend money.  I just hope we can get more playmakers or young players that didn’t play this year will mature.

He has only said this the entire time, folks just need to listen. He also hinted around at the WR position and it doesn't sound, to me, like any of the Steelers players are in play. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Straight up love that dude. Got a problem?!? Fight me!

 

what I really loved hearing was how everyone was ready eyed and disappointed. You can't buy that learning lesson. That feeling is what pushes you to the next level. To make you want to strive to be the best. You don't learn from success. You learn from the heartache and disappointment. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Other than the man-crush about his personality.  Can someone actually list some of the substantive things he said, assuming folks were paying attention to that part.

"There you go again."  -- Ronald Reagan, Presidential Debate with President Jimmy Carter, 1980

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewEra said:

what I really loved hearing was how everyone was ready eyed and disappointed. You can't buy that learning lesson. That feeling is what pushes you to the next level. To make you want to strive to be the best. You don't learn from success. You learn from the heartache and disappointment. 

 

Yes, his points about the struggle and how the struggle gets you to where you want to be.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

 

Yes, his points about the struggle and how the struggle gets you to where you want to be.

Sontrue brother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

that part where ballard sighed then said he'll talk with vinny has me a bit nervous that he could be out the door but that's just me

Understand your concern, S_C.  But, when it's time, it's time.  We'll see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He basically winked at the reporter asking about Vinny. It does sound like just need to come to contract terms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

You're amazed that people find things valuable that you don't find valuable??

 

Personality matters to some people. But I guarantee you, doesn't matter how good Ballard's personality is if he doesn't build the roster effectively. And if a GM is gruff and hard to get along with, but builds a great roster, I think for most people that outweighs the personality. 

 

Ballard appears to be doing well at both. It shows in his pressers, and it shows on the field.

 

Well said!!! How many GMs have drafted 2 All Pros in 1 year? I will wait for the answer.

 

Most of us are excited about the results "on the field", the personality could be media unfriendly "Bill Polianistic" for all I care. Most of us predicted at .500 or 9-7, and we have 10-6 and 1 playoff win when it was all said and done. Every small thing from assembling coaches to enabling coaches are all things a GM oversees. For once, we are happy our GM and HC are on the same page and the results are showing on the field. 

 

I guess some folks just want to rain on any parade that does not involve a SB parade. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Well said!!! How many GMs have drafted 2 All Pros in 1 year? I will wait for the answer.

 

Most of us are excited about the results "on the field", the personality could be media unfriendly "Bill Polianistic" for all I care. Most of us predicted at .500 or 9-7, and we have 10-6 and 1 playoff win when it was all said and done. Every small thing from assembling coaches to enabling coaches are all things a GM oversees. 

 

I guess some folks just want to rain on any parade that does not involve a SB parade. 

And that seemed pretty optimistic to many "experts". Ballard has the results to gain the respect he has. This year was way above any expectations. From #32 to here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter how much we all like Ballard if the results don’t happen we will say he should be gone.

 

He was instrumental in KC and look at how good they are. Right now I trust him he will get us to that level. If it doesn’t happen in the next two or three years we will all want him gone. I find it refreshing how honest he seems when answering questions. It defintly is not GM speak.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No matter how much we all like Ballard if the results don’t happen we will say he should be gone.

 

He was instrumental in KC and look at how good they are. Right now I trust him he will get us to that level. If it doesn’t happen in the next two or three years we will all want him gone. I find it refreshing how honest he seems when answering questions. It defintly is not GM speak.

 

Yep. We need to be a top 2 seed with a bye making the AFCCG in a couple of years. I do not think it is an unreasonable expectation with our cap space and QB abilities we can build upon. 

 

In all likelihood, our youthful team's hunger and Ballard getting the right players the coaches want will get us there, I am confident. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.