Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

15 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Why would they announce this before the season is over?

my first thought was $$$

3 minutes ago, rayski said:

I'm not sure. I know loads of people say we have need at DE but we have put a lot of resources in there already. Besides Ford will be EXPENSIVE. (I know we got the cash but for a one year wonder it will be north of 10 mill?)

however, KC has nearly 40 million in cap space. 

There is a report that they are leaning away from franchising him.

That would be about $17M.

He has a lot of help allowing him to do what he is doing that is for sure.
But we want to build that type of line too.
 I hope Ballard gets the opportunity to get in.
 It looks like to me they have ample Cap space to keep him. This is a great way to create NFL Hype = Interest = $$$.  

Ford progressed year-to-year, slowly realizing his potential in 2016 when he accumulated 12 sacks and 54 pressures and 28 run stops. 

Ford deserves to be talked about among the elite edge defenders this season for a myriad of reasons. Firstly, his 87.8 pass-rush grade ranks second among qualifying edge defenders. Also, he ranks first in total pressures, first in quarterback hits, fourth in hurries and is tied for ninth in sacks.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

What's crazy is the couple runs that he shut down he was completely unblocked. Just came in free and took Mack to the woodshed

And the play is designed so that you don't need to block him. Luck and Mack just ran the play(s) so slowly that Mack was still in the backfield when he should already be hitting the line. Just another example of Colts playing in slow motion and the Chiefs playing at Warp speed.

• Thanks 1

Have read rumors from the typical "unnamed" NFL agents/executives, that they think some team may pay him 18-20 million a year....  that's awful steep for a guy who really only has produced big numbers in the last year of his contract.... He also plays the same OLB spot as Leonard does he not at 6-2, 243 lbs?  Sincerely don't know if he has experience as a SSLB.

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Have read rumors from the typical "unnamed" NFL agents/executives, that they think some team may pay him 18-20 million a year....  that's awful steep for a guy who really only has produced big numbers in the last year of his contract.... He also plays the same OLB spot as Leonard does he not at 6-2, 243 lbs?  Sincerely don't know if he has experience as a SSLB.

I don't know if I see Ballard going after him at that steep of a price. Especially as you mentioned, just coming off a career year. I think Ballard will jump in until the price escalates then he'll pull out as he mentioned in presser today.

Awesome...adds another a very interesting FA rusher group that could include Lawrence (doubtful but who knows), Fowler and Clark.

Ford ate Smith alive in that game. Colts have no one like that on the roster. Maybe Turay can get there...but they shouldn't rely on him.

Between Ford and Autry and hopefully a top draft pick, you would have the start of a terrific 4-man front...and plenty of guys to rotate.

Assuming Lawrence stays in DAL...I think they go after Ford. Yes the Colts would be buying high, but Ballard was there when they scouted and drafted him. And Ballard would know what they are getting. If the price gets out of control...he won't really be an option anyways...but they should at least make a legit play for him.

• Like 1

Somehow if Ford reaches the market I'd cap out around 5/70, with about 28 of that guaranteed.  While this season was productive for him, he is inconsistent at best.  A contract in this range is a moderate risk/ high reward scenario that wouldn't interfere with re-signing homegrown talent.

50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Now I read recently where KC is looking to Franchise him.  They won't let him hit FA.  Conflicting reports out there. 

His game was non existent last night. One play possibly affected by him that I seen. He was neutralized as was Houston and that team with those two superstuds were ranked at the very bottom in pass and run defense. I’d say they are over valued but a quality product. That doesn’t mean they are scrubs, it just means I’m not paying top of the market money on them. Give me a Mack or Von Miller and I’m paying top of the market money for. Brady didn’t even get a compliment on his cologne he wore because the defense guys never got close enough to smell him. 

Sorry....    very late to this topic....

Not a big Dee Ford fan,  and in the Colts situation,  I don't see him as a scheme fit.   he's small-ish.

6'2" and about 240.     That's linebacker size,  and that's what he's been for KC.    An outside linebacker in their 3-4 defense.     I don't see him as a natural fit in our offense.    Don't think he's a 3-down player unless we build a big lead and our opponent is throwing the vast majority of the time.    Then, Ford would be inserted situationally.     But in most games,  not even sure he'd play 50 percent of the snaps.

So, for that reason,  that would limit what we'd offer him.    And this is the time for Ford to get his BIG contract.    He's either going to be paid by KC,  or go somewhere else that will play him enough to be paid big money by his new time.

I don't see the new team as the Colts.

Round peg.     Square hole.    Sorry.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry....    very late to this topic....

Not a big Dee Ford fan,  and in the Colts situation,  I don't see him as a scheme fit.   he's small-ish.

6'2" and about 240.     That's linebacker size,  and that's what he's been for KC.    An outside linebacker in their 3-4 defense.     I don't see him as a natural fit in our offense.    Don't think he's a 3-down player unless we build a big lead and our opponent is throwing the vast majority of the time.    Then, Ford would be inserted situationally.     But in most games,  not even sure he'd play 50 percent of the snaps.

So, for that reason,  that would limit what we'd offer him.    And this is the time for Ford to get his BIG contract.    He's either going to be paid by KC,  or go somewhere else that will play him enough to be paid big money by his new time.

I don't see the new team as the Colts.

Round peg.     Square hole.    Sorry.

I think anything involving Ford is going to be a moot point eventually because I believe KC will tag him and not let him walk.

He just had a career year at the perfect time. He is the poster-boy for a guy you tag. You see if he can do it again. Like Dallas did to D.Lawremce. Then if they prove it again (like Lawrence did), you pay the man.

Anyhow, for what it is worth most sites list Dee Ford as 6'2" 252. That is pretty close to the size of our DEs. Sheard is 6'3" 265 and Turay is 6'5" 253.

So I do not think Ford's size would be an issue. That said, I agree with you (and others) 100% in the question about scheme fit and whether he is a square peg and a round hole type fit.

If you watch most of the highlights of the pressure he created this past season (and he created a lot of pressure), a majority of it is with him rushing from a stand-up stance.

It would be rare to have any type of 4--3 DE rush without their hand on the ground and not risk them getting washed out. And it is wrong to pay a guy big money and expect him to do something different than what got him to perform and assume he can transition seamlessly.

So as much as we want some pass rush help, I do not see Ford as being the guy and I don't think he hits the market anyhow.

• Like 1

Far too much is made about the difference between a 3-4 edge rusher and a 4-3 edge rusher. More important than whether they stand up or rush from a three-point stance is their pass rush traits: bend, explosiveness, hand usage, strength, balance, closing ability, edge discipline, counters, etc. 

Dee Ford isn't a very refined edge player, he has ability but lacks some technique. I think he has traits that would translate just fine to 4-3 edge, but I don't know if he's a great pass rusher. As such, I'm lukewarm on throwing a big contract at him, but it's not because I don't think he'd fit our defense.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I think anything involving Ford is going to be a moot point eventually because I believe KC will tag him and not let him walk.

He just had a career year at the perfect time. He is the poster-boy for a guy you tag. You see if he can do it again. Like Dallas did to D.Lawremce. Then if they prove it again (like Lawrence did), you pay the man.

Anyhow, for what it is worth most sites list Dee Ford as 6'2" 252. That is pretty close to the size of our DEs. Sheard is 6'3" 265 and Turay is 6'5" 253.

So I do not think Ford's size would be an issue. That said, I agree with you (and others) 100% in the question about scheme fit and whether he is a square peg and a round hole type fit.

If you watch most of the highlights of the pressure he created this past season (and he created a lot of pressure), a majority of it is with him rushing from a stand-up stance.

It would be rare to have any type of 4--3 DE rush without their hand on the ground and not risk them getting washed out. And it is wrong to pay a guy big money and expect him to do something different than what got him to perform and assume he can transition seamlessly.

So as much as we want some pass rush help, I do not see Ford as being the guy and I don't think he hits the market anyhow.

You pay the guy to be "the Man" and he has to also be good to play the run, set the edge.
 Going by Ballard's comments, at Ford's weight, that would be in a lower % tile of attributes to be able to do either well. That is a problem. 
 I think Simon regarding this.
  So, is Ford so exceptional in skills, intelligence, work ethic, that the locker room would see him as earning his $$$?  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Far too much is made about the difference between a 3-4 edge rusher and a 4-3 edge rusher. More important than whether they stand up or rush from a three-point stance is their pass rush traits: bend, explosiveness, hand usage, strength, balance, closing ability, edge discipline, counters, etc. 

Dee Ford isn't a very refined edge player, he has ability but lacks some technique. I think he has traits that would translate just fine to 4-3 edge, but I don't know if he's a great pass rusher. As such, I'm lukewarm on throwing a big contract at him, but it's not because I don't think he'd fit our defense.

In the case of Ford...I agree. I don't think he would have any problem transitioning to RDE. The Colts just used a 2nd round pick on Turay...who weighs the same but is taller and leaner (which showed in run defense).

I am guessing they are hoping they can add to Turay's frame...but I also think they are looking for edge guy who has dominant traits when it comes to bend and explosiveness.

Ford certainly fits the mold in that regard. Same with Clowney. Not sure if either makes it FA...but if they do...I think Ballard will be very interested.

I don't know what "Ballard has connections to Ford from KC" means.  IMO, if he drafted Ford, he probably realizes he made a mistake and hopefully that connection allowed him to learn from it so he doesn't make that same EDGE mistake this year with the Colts.  JMO.