Click here to get your free tickets for Colts Training Camp today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveA1102

Matt Slauson 2019?

I was just wondering about RG for next year?  For most of the year I thought it would be likely that Smith would move back over in 2019 and we would address the RT position in the off season, likely via the draft.  However, the more he played, the more he seemed to fit that role and so I would be comfortable going into 2019 with Smith there and there for the long term.

Glowinski and Slauson both have contracts that will expire soon and so I was wondering what people's thoughts are on whether we bring back one, both or neither?

Glowinski has been unexpectedly rather good and has looked excellent while pulling, which has been a defining element in the success of this group in 2018.  However, I just feel Slauson is the leader this group needs.  Even after his injury he was constantly there and getting involved and even Big Q mentioned how important he has been for him in his first year.

The fear is obviously that he had a really nasty back injury sustained against the Patriots and whether that will become an issue for an older player but, for me, he seems like the kind of veteran presence this young group needs.

Also, he is just plain nasty when playing! :strong:haha

12 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I was just wondering about RG for next year?  For most of the year I thought it would be likely that Smith would move back over in 2019 and we would address the RT position in the off season, likely via the draft.  However, the more he played, the more he seemed to fit that role and so I would be comfortable going into 2019 with Smith there and there for the long term.

Glowinski and Slauson both have contracts that will expire soon and so I was wondering what people's thoughts are on whether we bring back one, both or neither?

Glowinski has been unexpectedly rather good and has looked excellent while pulling, which has been a defining element in the success of this group in 2018.  However, I just feel Slauson is the leader this group needs.  Even after his injury he was constantly there and getting involved and even Big Q mentioned how important he has been for him in his first year.

The fear is obviously that he had a really nasty back injury sustained against the Patriots and whether that will become an issue for an older player but, for me, he seems like the kind of veteran presence this young group needs.

I think he might retire after that neck injury.

4 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

I think he might retire after that neck injury.

He was quoted as saying he wants to come back and has a meeting arranged with Ballard to discuss.

I'm not against letting him battle for a roster spot. 

I don't mind giving him a small contract to see how he looks in the off-season program and pre-season games. I'm of the mind that Glowinski is far from secured for the RG spot so I wouldn't mind having more competition for that spot in camp. 

6 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

He's a average guard at this point and getting old ,we should go younger

There is a lot to be said for an average guard in this league.  There is no way to get 5 All-Pros without having no money.

An average Guard with experience and very strong leadership would be a valuable asset for most teams.

Bring him back because he has shown he is a great leader and mentor to the young offensive lineman plus a great locker room presence.

7 minutes ago, Semicolt said:

Bring him back because he has shown he is a great leader and mentor to the young offensive lineman plus a great locker room presence.

maybe they should just make him a coach if they want him in that role

This reminds me of the Mewhort situation last season. Of course Slauson wants to try and come back. Try making  comparable $$$ in the real world compared to a nfl contract. Like Mewhort, Slauson may come back and take up a valuable roster spot and wind up on IR and them retire. Leaving Colts to look in the scrap heap for his replacement.

If he's so valuable as a coach type mentor then bring him back in that capacity. I don't think we can depend on him as a player for a full season.

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

We don't need his leadership as i think we are good there now. And really, he wasn't very good, just not athletic enough to do all the things we need. I have not been satisfied with Haeg, but he looked better than Slauson did to me when he filled in for Glow. He had a new level of aggression and was chasing LB's decently on the 2nd level. I see CB looking elsewhere for G depth.

From a business perspective - can we find someone for similar (or less money) that will be as good?  Can we get a guy in the draft that will be as good?  I don't know at this point.  Give the guy a shot unless we know we can secure someone who is better.  A team friendly contract.  At worst he gets cut if he doesn't measure up.  

9 minutes ago, gspdx said:

From a business perspective - can we find someone for similar (or less money) that will be as good?  Can we get a guy in the draft that will be as good?  I don't know at this point.  Give the guy a shot unless we know we can secure someone who is better.  A team friendly contract.  At worst he gets cut if he doesn't measure up.  

At this point I would think we could bring him back for less than Glowinski, who might have created a market for himself.

Risk is we end up in another situation like Mewhort.

Just now, DaveA1102 said:

At this point I would think we could bring him back for less than Glowinski, who might have created a market for himself.

Risk is we end up in another situation like Mewhort.

Very true - I would like to bring them both back if we can.  Unless we have a better option.

I wonder if CB is looking for a C/G draftee (or two?) in the spring. If so, this could make the OL a VERY deep group. Talk about an abundance of riches, having players like Slauson and Glow as depth! I'm just saying'...

I expect the same for the DL: drafting an interior (?3T or monster truck NT!) and EDGE rusher from a deep draft class: that would make the current DL a depth machine as well. CB has always been about building the team from the trenches, so I won't be surprised to see us trade down a bit, and look to strengthen the OL and DL.

Already looking forward to the draft. And I thought I would have started this process weeks ago! GO COLTS!

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Smith has looked very good at RT.  However, I still tend to think he's best suited for guard.  LeRaven Clark, to me, looked pretty good for the time he got this season and he was drafted as a project (under the Grigs regime).  If he is developing well, as he appears to be, I could see him potentially moving to RT and bringing Smith over to RG next year.  Haeg also seems to be improving (i.e., getting stronger).

I like what Glowinski did this year and think Slauson will be serviceable if healthy.  However, if we're looking to get younger on the OL, I see us bringing in a rookie or 2 and am very encouraged to know we've got several guys on this team that can play multiple positions along the line if needed (i.e., Haeg and Smith I think can play anywhere along the line and Clark can play T or G if needed).

I am pretty sure Glow has locked down a chance to at least compete for the starting job the next couple of seasons. Not sure what that contract looks like...but he would be an offseason priority.

Ideally, they retain Glow and draft a G/T on Day Three to develop as depth for Glow or Smith. Smith is depth for Glow as well...so another T might be better to have.

25 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I am pretty sure Glow has locked down a chance to at least compete for the starting job the next couple of seasons. Not sure what that contract looks like...but he would be an offseason priority.

Ideally, they retain Glow and draft a G/T on Day Three to develop as depth for Glow or Smith. Smith is depth for Glow as well...so another T might be better to have.

I have that the other way around. Glowinski, if retained, is depth for Smith. I'm all for having them compete, but unless Glowinski is much better, I'd go with Smith at RG, and add a better RT.

59 minutes ago, Superman said:

I have that the other way around. Glowinski, if retained, is depth for Smith. I'm all for having them compete, but unless Glowinski is much better, I'd go with Smith at RG, and add a better RT.

Yeah I think it all depends on how they want to approach RT. 

Slauson

2014: IR

2017: IR 

2018: IR

hard to rely on him at his age an injury history.

What’s the vet minimum for Slauson? Like Marc Colombo for Cowboys, could he retire and be made an Assistant OL coach?

Its hard to invest in a T when Smith has a chance to improve and win the job.  I think you have to roll with this right side next year and see how/if it improves even more unless some great talent falls out of a tree.

Speed rushers are always a problem.  Chip or help in some other way when the time is right.  Know that you can't leave Smith on an island in those cases.

If he wants to come back I don’t think that’s a bad idea.  I wouldn’t count on him to start but I think he has depth value and start a transition into coaching where his real value is.