Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I believe in Reich but his KC gameplan was terrible


colt18

Recommended Posts

The first drive ended on a big drop by Ebron on third down.

 

It seemed like every drive after that ended because Luck's passes kept getting batted down.

 

 

WHY DIDN'T WE RUN THE BALL OR THROW SCREENS? WHERE WAS THE NO HUDDLE? If the pass rush keeps impacting the pass game, why wouldn't you slow them down with a screen play? Why didn't Hines get more plays? Why did we abandon the north/south run game and keep failing to go horizontal?

 

 

I realize this is Reich's first year but jfc. He's made terrific playcalls from the 6th game until now. The craziest thing is the defense made plays despite giving up 4th and short repeatedly. All we had to do was run the ball and stifle the pass rush. What a terrible effort from the entire offense.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ebron catches that pass on he first drive that changes everything. A game plan can't make people catch. 

You don’t know that. I am getting sick of him getting trashed for one dropped pass on the first drive. We might not of even made the playoffs without him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You don’t know that. I am getting sick of him getting trashed for one dropped pass on the first drive. We might not of even made the playoffs without him.

Lol, that's nonsense. One he had more than one in that game. While he has made some catches he's dropped a lot. We need to be able to call things how they are without the need to sugarcoat crap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

With that said there's plenty of blame to go around. Where the heck was the defense? They got trashed the entire first half. Including Leonard. He got wrecked, manhandled and looked lost most times

yeah but then in second half Leonard and Moore were all over the place making plays.

 

 

Where was the offense?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, colt18 said:

The first drive ended on a big drop by Ebron on third down.

 

It seemed like every drive after that ended because Luck's passes kept getting batted down.

 

 

WHY DIDN'T WE RUN THE BALL OR THROW SCREENS? WHERE WAS THE NO HUDDLE? If the pass rush keeps impacting the pass game, why wouldn't you slow them down with a screen play? Why didn't Hines get more plays? Why did we abandon the north/south run game and keep failing to go horizontal?

 

 

I realize this is Reich's first year but jfc. He's made terrific playcalls from the 6th game until now. The craziest thing is the defense made plays despite giving up 4th and short repeatedly. All we had to do was run the ball and stifle the pass rush. What a terrible effort from the entire offense.

 

The game plan was trash luck was trash o-line and recievers were trash couldn't get separation let alone catch the ball in this game disgusting ugly garbage performance by the colts did nothing right in that game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, colt18 said:

yeah but then in second half Leonard and Moore were all over the place making plays.

 

 

Where was the offense?

They defintly gave the colts a chance to get back in this game and win.  Their effort and KC mistakes in the second half gave us every opportunity to win this game. Eberflus did make some adjustments at half time. Missing two safeties took us out of so much of what we do on defense but they did step up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colt18 said:

yeah but then in second half Leonard and Moore were all over the place making plays.

 

 

Where was the offense?

I was actually really impressed with Moore. Dude played his butt off. 

 

The 1-5 offense showed up unfortunately. Luck wasn't great. But considering most thought he'd never play again I'll give him a pass. This will be his first healthy offseason in a long time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all phases of the game failing yesterday I think we just ran out of gas. We had been in playoff mode for 11 weeks. We just crashed and ran out of fuel at the wrong time. I don’t think I have ever seen every phase just collapse like that. Even the loss to Jacksonville our defense played lights out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewEra said:

With that said there's plenty of blame to go around. Where the heck was the defense? They got trashed the entire first half. Including Leonard. He got wrecked, manhandled and looked lost most times

 

KC has a really good offense.  We played no other team with an offense like that all season. They made our O line look average.  Our D played much better in the 2nd half but I believe that KC took their foot off the pedal a little.  

 

KC's defense really surprised me though.  They must have really studied our 2nd half offensive struggles in addition to what the Jags did to us in the shutout game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, colt18 said:

The first drive ended on a big drop by Ebron on third down.

 

It seemed like every drive after that ended because Luck's passes kept getting batted down.

 

 

WHY DIDN'T WE RUN THE BALL OR THROW SCREENS? WHERE WAS THE NO HUDDLE? If the pass rush keeps impacting the pass game, why wouldn't you slow them down with a screen play? Why didn't Hines get more plays? Why did we abandon the north/south run game and keep failing to go horizontal?

 

 

I realize this is Reich's first year but jfc. He's made terrific playcalls from the 6th game until now. The craziest thing is the defense made plays despite giving up 4th and short repeatedly. All we had to do was run the ball and stifle the pass rush. What a terrible effort from the entire offense.

 

One thing that * me off was we kept running at Justin Houston who is a power rusher and sets the edge well. We should’ve ran the ball at Dee Ford he’s a speed rusher and almost everytime went right up field and didn’t play the run. The few time we ran at him we were successful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree the O game plan was crap. And 2nd half adjustments were crap. I'd also say that execution on O was crap. All around crap lol. The D did enough IMO to beat a team like KC despite some really soft coverage at times and poor tackling at times too. That said, I was surprised our OL looked as bad as they did at times and I think it was likely the biggest reason for our struggles. Second was our lack of a #2 WR.

 

Regardless, I'm happy with the season. It was far better than I thought it would be. After a cooling off from the game, I think we are a #2 WR, and a little improvement to our OL to make a serious run next year. Throw in some improvement to the DL (Edge or other) and at CB, and all the better. 

 

We have the draft picks and cap space to make some major noise.

 

Let's do this. 2019!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Ebron catches that pass on he first drive that changes everything. A game plan can't make people catch. 

I thought the same thing.   That drop got glossed over, but I thought it was huge.  At minimum it would have kept the Colts on offense for another series.   I think it could have allowed the team to stick with Mack longer. 

The knock on Ebron was always his drops.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this is just an over simplification, But imo nobody was going into Arrowhead and winning that game. It was evident on our very first drive. We were dominated on both sides of the line throughout the entire game.  You want to win THAT game you better be playing at home and even then KC may have still beat us. We started two rooks on the OL with little to no depth. 

We NEED to get bigger and more physical up front. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NewEra said:

Ebron catches that pass on he first drive that changes everything. 

 

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

 We need to be able to call things how they are without the need to sugarcoat crap. 

You want to "call things how they are" but claim that a 3rd pass on the first drive of the game would somehow change "everything."

 

I agree there is no reason to sugar coat things, but there is no reason embellish things either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, colt18 said:

The first drive ended on a big drop by Ebron on third down.

 

It seemed like every drive after that ended because Luck's passes kept getting batted down.

 

 

WHY DIDN'T WE RUN THE BALL OR THROW SCREENS? WHERE WAS THE NO HUDDLE? If the pass rush keeps impacting the pass game, why wouldn't you slow them down with a screen play? Why didn't Hines get more plays? Why did we abandon the north/south run game and keep failing to go horizontal?

 

 

I realize this is Reich's first year but jfc. He's made terrific playcalls from the 6th game until now. The craziest thing is the defense made plays despite giving up 4th and short repeatedly. All we had to do was run the ball and stifle the pass rush. What a terrible effort from the entire offense.

Game plan was not the issue.  The issue is the Colts looked lethargic on the field.  All game long.  Execution was terrible.  Game plans can't make your guys sustain blocks or throw accurate passes or hit the hole hard.  We were down 17-0 in the first.  That puts you on the verge of being one dimensional pretty quick.  Not only that, we still did mix in the run quite a bit.  But playaction is fooling no one when you're in 3rd and long and down 3 scores.  That's why we didn't run it alot.  We never established the run, and we certainly couldn't demonstrate a viable pass attack.  Play action is just wasted motion at that point.

 

Also, we could have run no huddle sooner, but with so many quick 3 and outs, putting your defense back on the field ASAP is not the wisest of risks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Game plan was horrible. But why didn't Andrew run more. Andrew is athletic for no reason. His 40 time is faster than Mahomes. 

It's called protecting the QB. We saw what happened when Luck decides to run. A lacerated kidney and a severe shoulder injury.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Myles said:

I thought the same thing.   That drop got glossed over, but I thought it was huge.  At minimum it would have kept the Colts on offense for another series.   I think it could have allowed the team to stick with Mack longer. 

The knock on Ebron was always his drops.  

He led the league in dropped passes didn't he?  I thought I remember seeing a stat during a regular season game where it was like 25 drops.  I could be misremembering the number, but still pretty sure it was the league high.  And that was like with a couple weeks to go!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He led the league in dropped passes didn't he?  I thought I remember seeing a stat during a regular season game where it was like 25 drops.  I could be misremembering the number, but still pretty sure it was the league high.  And that was like with a couple weeks to go!

That may be true but he also led the league in TDs for a TE. If you are going to judge Ebron look at the whole picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He led the league in dropped passes didn't he?  I thought I remember seeing a stat during a regular season game where it was like 25 drops.  And that was like with a couple weeks to go!

I literally said when we signed him that "watch him drop a critical pass on 3rd down late in the year" and got denounced for it. Ebron had a great year and I hope he replicates it again next year. But I was never high/sold on him. There is nothing special about him. He's just a really athletic TE that who is a good student of the game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That may be true but he also led the league in TDs for a TE. If you are going to judge Ebron look at the whole picture.

I wasn't making a sweeping judgment.  I was responding to someone who said the knock on Ebron was drops - so I mentioned something about his drops.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That may be true but he also led the league in TDs for a TE. If you are going to judge Ebron look at the whole picture.

He led the league because we force fed him targets. His efficiency is literally the same or worse as his years in Detroit, when he was considered a bust.  He played the exact same as his bust years, it just so happens he was given far more targets overall and in the red zone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Calmack said:

I literally said when we signed him that "watch him drop a critical pass on 3rd down late in the year" and got denounced for it. Ebron had a great year and I hope he replicates it again next year. But I was never high/sold on him. There is nothing special about him. He's just a really athletic TE that who is a good student of the game. 

Well, he is good.  But the issue with knocks like drops, fumbles, errant throws, yadda yadda, is the timing of them.  Out of all Ebron's drops, some of them were easily overcome, and others, like the 3rd down drop Saturday, were more impactful.  3 and out because of a drop is no bueno, especially since you're up against a team where a shootout is very likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

 

You want to "call things how they are" but claim that a 3rd pass on the first drive of the game would somehow change "everything."

 

I agree there is no reason to sugar coat things, but there is no reason embellish things either.

Who's embellishing? He catches that pass we extend the drive. Possibly settle our nerves and possibly put points in the board. 

 

My point INTS was you can have a game plan. If the players don't execute it. Like catch the ball, block your assignment, or make a decent throw then your game plan goes out the window. 

 

A game is about momenttum. So you or I don't know what that catch would have done. And I'm not saying the game was on that catch. That's fricken ridiculous. 

 

The D laid a bog fat egg letting them drive the length of the field three times in a row. The whole team played like hot garbage in a summers eve

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Calmack said:

. There is nothing special about him. He's just a really athletic TE that who is a good student of the game. 

i dont agree, he is a very good red zone receiver, which is one of the hardest receivers to find 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He led the league in dropped passes didn't he?  I thought I remember seeing a stat during a regular season game where it was like 25 drops.  I could be misremembering the number, but still pretty sure it was the league high.  And that was like with a couple weeks to go!

25 drops....thats way to many.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

There are times when it just isn't your day and that was the case on Saturday. We had an off day, and in the playoffs against a high powered attack like KC's you just can't have that happen. Heck of a season and I'm looking forward to great things for this team!

That's how I saw it too. Literally nothing could go our way. Just wasn't our game to win. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

With all phases of the game failing yesterday I think we just ran out of gas. We had been in playoff mode for 11 weeks. We just crashed and ran out of fuel at the wrong time. I don’t think I have ever seen every phase just collapse like that. Even the loss to Jacksonville our defense played lights out.

i agree 100%.  We were over due for a BAD game and it just came at the wrong time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Who's embellishing? He catches that pass we extend the drive. Possibly settle our nerves and possibly put points in the board. 

 

 

You are.  he catches that pass and yes the drive is extended but to claim that would change everything or even the bolded above is embellishing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We can all point fingers at this and that but the reality is the Chiefs have a lot better team than we have. They have very skilled veteran players and one of the best QBs in the league. There was a reason they were the #1 seed.

Most all of our players had never been in a game of this magnitude and it showed.

Reid has 19 years under his belt going up against a rookie head coach. I love Frank but lets be realistic here. The Chiefs kicked out butt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we got outplayed on Saturday.  We play that game again and the outcome could very well be different.  We missed on several opportunities, and given those again, we could very well capitalize and come back to win.

 

Disappointing, but a great experience for this young team.   They will remember the feeling they had after the game and not want a repeat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We can all point fingers at this and that but the reality is the Chiefs have a lot better team than we have. They have very skilled veteran players and one of the best QBs in the league. There was a reason they were the #1 seed.

Most all of our players had never been in a game of this magnitude and it showed.

Reid has 19 years under his belt going up against a rookie head coach. I love Frank but lets be realistic here. The Chiefs kicked out butt.

 

they are also very good at home, i think they only lost one game all year to a division rival that was a playoff team.  the snow seemed to hurt us more than them too

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jszfunk said:

25 drops....thats way to many.

I could be wrong on that.  It's not like drops are defined by the league, so that makes it a subjective stat.  Sacks fell into this category for a long time and Tackles were not official stats until 2001.  So someone may say 25 drops, and another solid authority might say 10.  In any event, everyone can agree that being #1 in the league in drops is a terrible stat to lead the league in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I literally said when we signed him that "watch him drop a critical pass on 3rd down late in the year" and got denounced for it. Ebron had a great year and I hope he replicates it again next year. But I was never high/sold on him. There is nothing special about him. He's just a really athletic TE that who is a good student of the game. 

A critical drop would be your driving  the end of the game and your in the red zone to take the lead. A drop on the third play of the game is not a critical drop. With Doyle going  down early this year we would not even have been in the playoffs without Ebron.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Never get in a fart contest with your center is, I believe, among the first 10 rules in the NFL QBs guidebook.
    • With so many ex-Colts on this team, it might get pretty emotional. Those Jets will either be extra fired up or extra intimidated. Time will tell, but I bet its a good game.
    • On 1070 the Fan today, they were discussing this and media people who were at the game last week said that the stadium could accommodate 15-20 thousand and still maintain social distancing. Probably too late to extend occupancy for this week... But for Cincinnati good possibility, especially since INDY easing constraints. We will see.
    • Fixed it for you.  For those that missed it (MNF, Cowboys/Giants game, I was listening in my car on Westwood One radio live) a black cat went onto the field while a play was in progress.  Kevin Harlan announced both the play, and cat movements simultaneously.  After the whistle, Harlan did play by play of the whole cat incident. It was really funny then, and still is now.  You listen to it here- Bob Papa (Radio voice of the NY football Giants) was calling the game as well, and also did play by play and stated "The cat, is not in the hat" at one point. A lot of folks had fun with it too.   The CAT, a football life-  
    • No, not exactly. Not even close. 
  • Members

    • Solon

      Solon 575

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DarkSuperman

      DarkSuperman 3,781

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Gigc

      Gigc 259

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • The Oopty Oop

      The Oopty Oop 48

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jmac_48

      jmac_48 685

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shadow_Creek

      Shadow_Creek 621

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 9,449

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • The Peytonator

      The Peytonator 2,731

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Horshoekid1986

      Horshoekid1986 7

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ProblChld32

      ProblChld32 758

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...