Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I believe in Reich but his KC gameplan was terrible

colt18

The first drive ended on a big drop by Ebron on third down.

It seemed like every drive after that ended because Luck's passes kept getting batted down.

WHY DIDN'T WE RUN THE BALL OR THROW SCREENS? WHERE WAS THE NO HUDDLE? If the pass rush keeps impacting the pass game, why wouldn't you slow them down with a screen play? Why didn't Hines get more plays? Why did we abandon the north/south run game and keep failing to go horizontal?

I realize this is Reich's first year but jfc. He's made terrific playcalls from the 6th game until now. The craziest thing is the defense made plays despite giving up 4th and short repeatedly. All we had to do was run the ball and stifle the pass rush. What a terrible effort from the entire offense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You don’t know that. I am getting sick of him getting trashed for one dropped pass on the first drive. We might not of even made the playoffs without him.

Lol, that's nonsense. One he had more than one in that game. While he has made some catches he's dropped a lot. We need to be able to call things how they are without the need to sugarcoat crap. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

With that said there's plenty of blame to go around. Where the heck was the defense? They got trashed the entire first half. Including Leonard. He got wrecked, manhandled and looked lost most times

yeah but then in second half Leonard and Moore were all over the place making plays.

Where was the offense?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colt18 said:

It seemed like every drive after that ended because Luck's passes kept getting batted down.

WHY DIDN'T WE RUN THE BALL OR THROW SCREENS? WHERE WAS THE NO HUDDLE? If the pass rush keeps impacting the pass game, why wouldn't you slow them down with a screen play? Why didn't Hines get more plays? Why did we abandon the north/south run game and keep failing to go horizontal?

I realize this is Reich's first year but jfc. He's made terrific playcalls from the 6th game until now. The craziest thing is the defense made plays despite giving up 4th and short repeatedly. All we had to do was run the ball and stifle the pass rush. What a terrible effort from the entire offense.

The game plan was trash luck was trash o-line and recievers were trash couldn't get separation let alone catch the ball in this game disgusting ugly garbage performance by the colts did nothing right in that game.

22 minutes ago, colt18 said:

yeah but then in second half Leonard and Moore were all over the place making plays.

Where was the offense?

They defintly gave the colts a chance to get back in this game and win.  Their effort and KC mistakes in the second half gave us every opportunity to win this game. Eberflus did make some adjustments at half time. Missing two safeties took us out of so much of what we do on defense but they did step up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colt18 said:

Where was the offense?

I was actually really impressed with Moore. Dude played his butt off. 

The 1-5 offense showed up unfortunately. Luck wasn't great. But considering most thought he'd never play again I'll give him a pass. This will be his first healthy offseason in a long time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

With that said there's plenty of blame to go around. Where the heck was the defense? They got trashed the entire first half. Including Leonard. He got wrecked, manhandled and looked lost most times

KC has a really good offense.  We played no other team with an offense like that all season. They made our O line look average.  Our D played much better in the 2nd half but I believe that KC took their foot off the pedal a little.  

KC's defense really surprised me though.  They must have really studied our 2nd half offensive struggles in addition to what the Jags did to us in the shutout game.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, colt18 said:

One thing that * me off was we kept running at Justin Houston who is a power rusher and sets the edge well. We should’ve ran the ball at Dee Ford he’s a speed rusher and almost everytime went right up field and didn’t play the run. The few time we ran at him we were successful.

I agree the O game plan was crap. And 2nd half adjustments were crap. I'd also say that execution on O was crap. All around crap lol. The D did enough IMO to beat a team like KC despite some really soft coverage at times and poor tackling at times too. That said, I was surprised our OL looked as bad as they did at times and I think it was likely the biggest reason for our struggles. Second was our lack of a #2 WR.

Regardless, I'm happy with the season. It was far better than I thought it would be. After a cooling off from the game, I think we are a #2 WR, and a little improvement to our OL to make a serious run next year. Throw in some improvement to the DL (Edge or other) and at CB, and all the better. 

We have the draft picks and cap space to make some major noise.

Let's do this. 2019!

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Ebron catches that pass on he first drive that changes everything. A game plan can't make people catch. 

I thought the same thing.   That drop got glossed over, but I thought it was huge.  At minimum it would have kept the Colts on offense for another series.   I think it could have allowed the team to stick with Mack longer. 

The knock on Ebron was always his drops.  

• Thanks 1

Maybe this is just an over simplification, But imo nobody was going into Arrowhead and winning that game. It was evident on our very first drive. We were dominated on both sides of the line throughout the entire game.  You want to win THAT game you better be playing at home and even then KC may have still beat us. We started two rooks on the OL with little to no depth. 

We NEED to get bigger and more physical up front. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

Ebron catches that pass on he first drive that changes everything. 

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

We need to be able to call things how they are without the need to sugarcoat crap. 

You want to "call things how they are" but claim that a 3rd pass on the first drive of the game would somehow change "everything."

I agree there is no reason to sugar coat things, but there is no reason embellish things either.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, colt18 said:

Game plan was not the issue.  The issue is the Colts looked lethargic on the field.  All game long.  Execution was terrible.  Game plans can't make your guys sustain blocks or throw accurate passes or hit the hole hard.  We were down 17-0 in the first.  That puts you on the verge of being one dimensional pretty quick.  Not only that, we still did mix in the run quite a bit.  But playaction is fooling no one when you're in 3rd and long and down 3 scores.  That's why we didn't run it alot.  We never established the run, and we certainly couldn't demonstrate a viable pass attack.  Play action is just wasted motion at that point.

Also, we could have run no huddle sooner, but with so many quick 3 and outs, putting your defense back on the field ASAP is not the wisest of risks.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Game plan was horrible. But why didn't Andrew run more. Andrew is athletic for no reason. His 40 time is faster than Mahomes. 

It's called protecting the QB. We saw what happened when Luck decides to run. A lacerated kidney and a severe shoulder injury.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I thought the same thing.   That drop got glossed over, but I thought it was huge.  At minimum it would have kept the Colts on offense for another series.   I think it could have allowed the team to stick with Mack longer. 

The knock on Ebron was always his drops.  

He led the league in dropped passes didn't he?  I thought I remember seeing a stat during a regular season game where it was like 25 drops.  I could be misremembering the number, but still pretty sure it was the league high.  And that was like with a couple weeks to go!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He led the league in dropped passes didn't he?  I thought I remember seeing a stat during a regular season game where it was like 25 drops.  I could be misremembering the number, but still pretty sure it was the league high.  And that was like with a couple weeks to go!

That may be true but he also led the league in TDs for a TE. If you are going to judge Ebron look at the whole picture.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He led the league in dropped passes didn't he?  I thought I remember seeing a stat during a regular season game where it was like 25 drops.  And that was like with a couple weeks to go!

I literally said when we signed him that "watch him drop a critical pass on 3rd down late in the year" and got denounced for it. Ebron had a great year and I hope he replicates it again next year. But I was never high/sold on him. There is nothing special about him. He's just a really athletic TE that who is a good student of the game. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That may be true but he also led the league in TDs for a TE. If you are going to judge Ebron look at the whole picture.

I wasn't making a sweeping judgment.  I was responding to someone who said the knock on Ebron was drops - so I mentioned something about his drops.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He led the league because we force fed him targets. His efficiency is literally the same or worse as his years in Detroit, when he was considered a bust.  He played the exact same as his bust years, it just so happens he was given far more targets overall and in the red zone. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Calmack said:

I literally said when we signed him that "watch him drop a critical pass on 3rd down late in the year" and got denounced for it. Ebron had a great year and I hope he replicates it again next year. But I was never high/sold on him. There is nothing special about him. He's just a really athletic TE that who is a good student of the game. 

Well, he is good.  But the issue with knocks like drops, fumbles, errant throws, yadda yadda, is the timing of them.  Out of all Ebron's drops, some of them were easily overcome, and others, like the 3rd down drop Saturday, were more impactful.  3 and out because of a drop is no bueno, especially since you're up against a team where a shootout is very likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You want to "call things how they are" but claim that a 3rd pass on the first drive of the game would somehow change "everything."

I agree there is no reason to sugar coat things, but there is no reason embellish things either.

Who's embellishing? He catches that pass we extend the drive. Possibly settle our nerves and possibly put points in the board. 

My point INTS was you can have a game plan. If the players don't execute it. Like catch the ball, block your assignment, or make a decent throw then your game plan goes out the window. 

A game is about momenttum. So you or I don't know what that catch would have done. And I'm not saying the game was on that catch. That's fricken ridiculous. 

The D laid a bog fat egg letting them drive the length of the field three times in a row. The whole team played like hot garbage in a summers eve

4 minutes ago, Calmack said:

. There is nothing special about him. He's just a really athletic TE that who is a good student of the game. 

i dont agree, he is a very good red zone receiver, which is one of the hardest receivers to find 

10 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

25 drops....thats way to many.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

There are times when it just isn't your day and that was the case on Saturday. We had an off day, and in the playoffs against a high powered attack like KC's you just can't have that happen. Heck of a season and I'm looking forward to great things for this team!

That's how I saw it too. Literally nothing could go our way. Just wasn't our game to win. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

With all phases of the game failing yesterday I think we just ran out of gas. We had been in playoff mode for 11 weeks. We just crashed and ran out of fuel at the wrong time. I don’t think I have ever seen every phase just collapse like that. Even the loss to Jacksonville our defense played lights out.

i agree 100%.  We were over due for a BAD game and it just came at the wrong time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Who's embellishing? He catches that pass we extend the drive. Possibly settle our nerves and possibly put points in the board. 

You are.  he catches that pass and yes the drive is extended but to claim that would change everything or even the bolded above is embellishing.

We can all point fingers at this and that but the reality is the Chiefs have a lot better team than we have. They have very skilled veteran players and one of the best QBs in the league. There was a reason they were the #1 seed.

Most all of our players had never been in a game of this magnitude and it showed.

Reid has 19 years under his belt going up against a rookie head coach. I love Frank but lets be realistic here. The Chiefs kicked out butt.

• Like 3

I think we got outplayed on Saturday.  We play that game again and the outcome could very well be different.  We missed on several opportunities, and given those again, we could very well capitalize and come back to win.

Disappointing, but a great experience for this young team.   They will remember the feeling they had after the game and not want a repeat.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We can all point fingers at this and that but the reality is the Chiefs have a lot better team than we have. They have very skilled veteran players and one of the best QBs in the league. There was a reason they were the #1 seed.

Most all of our players had never been in a game of this magnitude and it showed.

Reid has 19 years under his belt going up against a rookie head coach. I love Frank but lets be realistic here. The Chiefs kicked out butt.

they are also very good at home, i think they only lost one game all year to a division rival that was a playoff team.  the snow seemed to hurt us more than them too

16 minutes ago, jszfunk said:

25 drops....thats way to many.

I could be wrong on that.  It's not like drops are defined by the league, so that makes it a subjective stat.  Sacks fell into this category for a long time and Tackles were not official stats until 2001.  So someone may say 25 drops, and another solid authority might say 10.  In any event, everyone can agree that being #1 in the league in drops is a terrible stat to lead the league in. 

24 minutes ago, Calmack said:

A critical drop would be your driving  the end of the game and your in the red zone to take the lead. A drop on the third play of the game is not a critical drop. With Doyle going  down early this year we would not even have been in the playoffs without Ebron.

• Thanks 1